New Meredith Graphics

VegasNews

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I really like this package; it's impactful.  I would've gone with slightly lighter shades of reds/blues, but other than that I think it's great.

I'm amazed by how quickly the gfx package is getting rolled out.  They must've pre-rendered everything (or at least much of it) before rolling these out, notwithstanding WSMV.

25 minutes ago, CircleSeven said:

I'm hearing the new V.6 on the bumpers, despite using V.5 for the opens......

Its nice the two are pretty interchangeable -- for a while WTHI used V4 for everything but their 5pm Newscast.
They used V3 for that. 

10 hours ago, tyrannical bastard said:

The music is 1000 times better.  I wasn't a fan of "This is Home", and the cuts they started using last year were REALLLLY BAD!  It was the hard, breaking news cut that stutters in the beginning.

This came after a 14 run of  "Right Here Right Now"

The voiceover was a nice change too after decades of Greg O'Neill.  Any idea who it is? (Steve Stone?  He does KCTV as well)

I wonder if a set change is on the horizon.  Their current set dates way back to 2012 and their HD launch under LIN.  It's one of those FX jobs.   They've updated it with their prior look shortly after its launch and added the video wall (when every other Meredith station seemed to get one at the time)

The vo is Chad Erickson. 

Not a fan of this package on WCGL...aka "CBS 46" (at least it's CBS 46 now and not CBS "CBS" 46!)  It's way too red and blue, and generic.  It also strips the "CBS" elements out of the look.  Using on their set seemed to distract away from Shon Gables and Rick Folbaum last night.

As for Fox Carolina,  I'm undecided.  They had the "FOX" variant of the prior package, bur it's not a deal-breaker like it was with CBS 46.  Their set is probably the oldest of all of them, going way back to when they were only in widescreen SD!  It's ok since Greenville-Spartanburg-Asheville is more of a middle market anyways, despite its size.

As for WALA, it's a vast improvement.  They've needed a total refresh for a long time, and this package stands out against the other "clone" stations in the market.  Now all they need to do is either update the set with the current look, or move on to a new one.  It's been about 8 years, maybe they can get two more years out of it with a refresh.

At WSMV, it's a little too much for them, but at least they got a new set out of it.  It's probably more of a distraction for all of the on-air talent carnage they've had, especially this year.  Also great to hear Scott Chapin once again.

Just goes to show you that what works in one market may not work in another.

8 minutes ago, tyrannical bastard said:

WNEM looks to have the new graphics too (probably this evening), but at least they appear to be keeping their logo.

And here's KCTV's logo from their website

KCTV5 News Stands for You

The “KC” and “TV” appear to look disconnected even though they aren’t.

Also the “5” is bigger than the CBS eye.

18 minutes ago, Info Junkie said:

The “KC” and “TV” appear to look disconnected even though they aren’t.

Also the “5” is bigger than the CBS eye.

I think it's appropriately sized, especially considering the eyemark is wider than the 5 at full height. Compare with KPHO where they are full height.

As to the KCTV...yeah that's a combo of the characters and typeface, and it really does show here. Might have worked better if KC had been bolded but not TV, like their turn-of-the-millennium tower logo.

• Samantha changed the title to New Meredith Graphics
Just now, JohnnyNews said:

WNEM l Coverage You Can Count On

WNEM looks like they're going with their current color scheme for the new graphics.

Or this could just be the CBS 2016 O&O package from LinearDrift.

Apparently stations did get a choice. Mark says this color combo will also be used in Phoenix on Monday.

6 minutes ago, MidwestTV said:

What's interesting to me is KCTV will have had 3 different looks in the last 4 years. Quite a lot of change considering how long looks are kept nowadays.

I said that too. Because when they switch to the standardize graphics they would've switched graphics 2 times this year.

2 hours ago, Samantha said:

Apparently stations did get a choice. Mark says this color combo will also be used in Phoenix on Monday.

I like the blue and yellow in this package.  The font seems to be both stretched and squished depending on where it's used.

In terms of a graphics launch, this is the fastest I've ever seen.  Either all of their stations are on the same page, equipment-wise, or the work has been done behind the scenes to make these changes happen so quickly.

Archived