New Meredith Graphics

VegasNews

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So, this is part of a big change at Meredith. They've eliminated all but two of the Creative Service Directors who are servicing all stations remotely. This look is based on the WOIO package elements and originally developed for WSVM 4. In fact, the CSD who implemented it at WSMV 4 is one of 2 Creative Directors company wide.

Not for nothing, but this is the tread we're seeing. I've had discussions with industry insiders who see, as creative budgets are slashed, that we will be back in static title-card area and public domain music in the next 10 years. It's a race toward the bottom, people.

58 minutes ago, ABC 7 Denver said:

Not for nothing, but this is the tread we're seeing. I've had discussions with industry insiders who see, as creative budgets are slashed, that we will be back in static title-card area and public domain music in the next 10 years. It's a race toward the bottom, people.

I wouldn't go that far--and really what the viewer sees on air in terms of hubbed graphics is nothing new--but I do think Creative departments themselves may be in as much trouble now as art departments were 10-15 years ago at the rate we're going.

4 hours ago, ABC 7 Denver said:

That is the most dramatic thing I have ever read. This is a smart move by Meredith, seeing as they have a team of about 15 people handling promotions/graphics for all 12 of their stations from what I've been told. Not just two people. Gone are the days of needing in-house CS departments most of whom don't do great work anyway.

5 hours ago, JohnnyNews said:

KMOV is keeping their current graphics 

Meredith fired KMOV’s Art Director. Who will be supporting their look? Meredith is going to switch graphics on all stations except KMOV and support them separately from their “hub”? 

or is this just wild, baseless speculation... 

9 hours ago, jbnews said:

*This* is their new group-wide graphics package? Seriously?

Yes... Yes it is part of there centralized graphics hub, part of a cooperate rollout!!! Though yeah they should have control over color cause KVVU is completely red, so i'm sure WFSB could revert to all blue again!!!

3 hours ago, VegasNews said:

That is the most dramatic thing I have ever read. This is a smart move by Meredith, seeing as they have a team of about 15 people handling promotions/graphics for all 12 of their stations from what I've been told. Not just two people. Gone are the days of needing in-house CS departments most of whom don't do great work anyway.

And it makes it easier for stations to handle, making promos, and stuff without switching graphics terms. Meredith isn't alone ABC O&Os, are jumping on board its not cost-cutting its just cheaper and easier to do while making graphics promos to maintain balance and no switch up!!!

Update: they switched at 4pm today.  Dumped "This is Home" for 615's "In-Sync", and have a new voiceover person, replacing Greg O'Neill.

They are WAAAAAAY overusing "Breaking News" supers, which are red and white.  Otherwise, it's basically the same package launched in Atlanta and Greenville in recent days.

It's a vast improvement over the prior look in Mobile, but a downgrade in Atlanta and Greenville.  Those other packages reflected their affiliations better, and this is just a canned look for all above.  Wouldn't surprise me if this job is out of the hub at WSMV.

Since the package has Hothaus roots, it has some similarities to the prior WPMI package they got under Newport when they went HD in 2012. 

1 hour ago, tyrannical bastard said:

Since the package has Hothaus roots, it has some similarities to the prior WPMI package they got under Newport when they went HD in 2012. 

From what I understand, two people from Hothaus designed and are leading the team that are rolling this look out. Not sure if they are still working for Hothaus or what, but this is basically the Meredith/Hothaus graphics hub as of now.

The music is 1000 times better.  I wasn't a fan of "This is Home", and the cuts they started using last year were REALLLLY BAD!  It was the hard, breaking news cut that stutters in the beginning.

This came after a 14 run of  "Right Here Right Now"

The voiceover was a nice change too after decades of Greg O'Neill.  Any idea who it is? (Steve Stone?  He does KCTV as well)

I wonder if a set change is on the horizon.  Their current set dates way back to 2012 and their HD launch under LIN.  It's one of those FX jobs.   They've updated it with their prior look shortly after its launch and added the video wall (when every other Meredith station seemed to get one at the time)

• Samantha changed the title to New Meredith Graphics

Archived