Jump to content

Fox Weather


Georgie56
 Share

Recommended Posts

Just now, Georgie56 said:


Well, turns out Sky Dome is only from 9am-Noon ET. America’s Weather Center is the main afternoon block, apparently.

Just came here to say this. Funny that they didn't even get their own programming schedule right in their on-screen ads. I wonder if other dayparts won't match up, either.

 

I love the unoriginal programming name. The Weather Channel's two daytime shows are "America's Morning Headquarters" and "Weather Center Live", so Fox's answer is to create a show called "America's Weather Center". 🤣

  • Haha 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, Georgie56 said:


Well, turns out Sky Dome is only from 9am-Noon ET. America’s Weather Center is the main afternoon block, apparently.

 

That makes more sense to me.

 

Has anyone been able to view the stream on their website? When I do I cannot get it to play. 

 

 

image.png.59f9ce5cce67b8835ab06d3cda4de101.png

Link to comment
Share on other sites

20 minutes ago, NBC 5 Chicago said:

 

That makes more sense to me.

 

Has anyone been able to view the stream on their website? When I do I cannot get it to play. 

 

 

image.png.59f9ce5cce67b8835ab06d3cda4de101.png

The stream works fine for me in Chrome. Would you happen to have any add-ons that might be blocking it?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, PhillyWatch said:

I get that they’re really looking for app downloads but I was curious if there was any smart TV or streaming stick app to watch FWX, and Amy Freeze mentioned at the top of the 1pm hour that it’s available via the FOX NOW app


It’s also available via the Fox News app. It was also advertised as being available on Tubi, but it has yet to show up there.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

About Fox Weather’s digital presence, there are some shortcomings. FoxWeather.com, ironically, doesn’t include much forecast content; it’s essentially a weather news-focused site, with the only local content consisting of a widget that shows the current temperature/sky condition, forecast highs and lows, and a five-hour forecast for the user’s location… and clicking/tapping  anywhere on it (whether it be the forecast info or the download app banner) only directs to a link to download the app (on iOS or Android, it just opens the App Store or Google Play app instead).

 

The app itself needs to flesh out its forecast content a little. It’s kinda limited when compared to The Weather Channel or AccuWeather’s apps in terms of the amount of local weather content. Neither detailed current observations, health and outdoor indexes (including allergy and air quality indexes), or a tropical tracker is included on the main forecast page. Its FutureView event planning feature is limited to a simple forecast, and sunrise/sunset/daylight length data for the day of the selected event; I think it would be more useful if it included an hourly forecast for the day of the selected event (based on a user-selected time or period of time when the event is being held); it could even include a separate game-day forecast section for upcoming professional and collegiate sports events held in outdoor venues. The radar, for which Fox may have acquired the now-discontinued WeatherLab to utilize its 3D capabilities, lacks a selection of map layers (satellite, lightning data, etc.).

 

The Fox Weather app, for some reason, is also not designed for use on tablets (the iOS version, for example, is only designed for iPhones and therefore maintains the display format meant for iPhone models when used on iPads).

Link to comment
Share on other sites

America's Weather Now began as-listed at 5PM ET. Craig Herrera and Amy Freeze were done with their shift at the end of America's Weather Center and were replaced by Nick Kosir and Danielle Gersh for this show, but oddly enough, Kendall Smith, who was the "third wheel" on the previous 5-hour edition of America's Weather Center, continues to appear on this hour of America's Weather Now. I'm wondering if she will finish out this hour and then be replaced by a different third wheel on the next hour. Seems like every show has two main anchors and then a third meteorologist who doesn't sit at the anchor desk.

 

Also, seems like they're a lot more willing to break the fourth wall with some of the camera shots being used during this program...

 

 

FoxWX_20211025-4.thumb.png.54562e7e0b717be7259797cae1ab041f.png

 

EDIT: I just wanted to add one more thought... From adding up the number of meteorologists listed on their personalities page, there are only enough of them to fill the weekday programming schedule if they continue having three meteorologists on every shift. The only way they could possibly be live on weekends is if they stop doing this "third meteorologist" thing after launch day and instead use these extra meteorologists in solo shifts on the weekends instead. I'm starting to wonder if they actually don't intend to be live on the weekends at all...

Edited by Spring Rubber
Link to comment
Share on other sites

34 minutes ago, Georgie56 said:

The Across America segment finally got refreshed with different meteorologists after the first 6am ET roll. I guess they're only doing it twice daily. 

Interestingly, with the exception of the addition of the Phoenix station, the other stations used were the same ones as this morning. Wonder if we'll see some other cities produce these segments each different day of the week.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Seeing how FOX’s Live Now streaming channel is available via YouTube TV, I wonder if FWX will appear there sooner or later. I’m guessing YTTV penetration is easier than traditional cable (which I’m guessing will come through O&O distribution) as YouTube TV also carries NBC News Now and ABC News Live. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Spring Rubber said:

America's Weather Now began as-listed at 5PM ET. Craig Herrera and Amy Freeze were done with their shift at the end of America's Weather Center and were replaced by Nick Kosir and Danielle Gersh for this show, but oddly enough, Kendall Smith, who was the "third wheel" on the previous 5-hour edition of America's Weather Center, continues to appear on this hour of America's Weather Now. I'm wondering if she will finish out this hour and then be replaced by a different third wheel on the next hour. Seems like every show has two main anchors and then a third meteorologist who doesn't sit at the anchor desk.

 

Also, seems like they're a lot more willing to break the fourth wall with some of the camera shots being used during this program...

 

 

FoxWX_20211025-4.thumb.png.54562e7e0b717be7259797cae1ab041f.png

 

EDIT: I just wanted to add one more thought... From adding up the number of meteorologists listed on their personalities page, there are only enough of them to fill the weekday programming schedule if they continue having three meteorologists on every shift. The only way they could possibly be live on weekends is if they stop doing this "third meteorologist" thing after launch day and instead use these extra meteorologists in solo shifts on the weekends instead. I'm starting to wonder if they actually don't intend to be live on the weekends at all...


Weekends would be an excellent opportunity to showcase the Fox O&Os meteorologists (at least temporarily) until a more permanent plan is in place. We shall see what they do on weekends soon enough…
 

 

1 hour ago, nothing said:

From watching the Weather Across America segments it makes me wonder when the o&os will adopt the graphics. 

 

I hope they do (adapt these graphics). Some O&Os could benefit from an upgraded graphics package.

Edited by jase
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I wish there would be a Local Forcast based on IP location. The best was The Weather Network’s live stream that included a LDL and a Local on the 8s-like Forecast. 
 

I know The Weather Channel Android app can do a local bottom line, but you’d think more apps would take advantage. 

Edited by mightynine
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

28 minutes ago, Georgie56 said:

So Fox Weather Wild is basically a looser version of their rolling weather coverage with a focus on extreme weather.

Yeah, it reminds me of a newsmagazine live show. Like the Access Hollywood of weather, but with live weather coverage inserted at the start of certain segments.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

56 minutes ago, Spring Rubber said:

Looks like Fox Weather Wild repeats at 10pm ET, and it's an exact repeat of the 9pm ET hour, including the severe weather warnings from last hour and everything. That's a pretty bad idea. Wonder if they're just going to repeat this hour over and over again until 1am ET.


They are doing live updates during FWW repeats, so that’s a bit of a relief. I assume they’ll break in if warranted.

Edited by Georgie56
Link to comment
Share on other sites

The labels on some of the maps need to stand out more. The snow cover map spans multiple states, but I can’t tell what they are. And the labels on the satellite map are mostly covered by the clouds. Also I’m not sure why there’s a live bug when it’s all automated. 

732ACA05-9C3F-4591-B5B2-4DD0F643C6D2.thumb.png.c2e7da0fecbffc2c963942200cc34aaf.png802F9077-15C9-4383-A356-04547A9A5C2C.thumb.png.d206acf987112f60216c155936d0f1de.png

 

10 minutes ago, PhillyWatch said:

I wonder if a rebranded version of this will be used to fill weekend hours. 

I was thinking the same thing. They’ll probably call it “America’s Weekend Weather” or something, hopefully with some frequent live updates. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, mightynine said:

I wish there would be a Local Forcast based on IP location. The best was The Weather Network’s live stream that included a LDL and a Local on the 8s-like Forecast. 

I'd assume that would start rolling out once the FTS stations start the subchannel rollout and they start adding local inserts. At this point, it's more important to get the network up and running.

 

5 hours ago, jase said:

I hope they do (adapt these graphics). Some O&Os could benefit from an upgraded graphics package.

I expect WITI to be among the first in line. I kind of expected whatever their new GFX would be would launch with Fox Weather, but it looks like the wait will go on a little longer.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Georgie56 changed the title to Fox Weather

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. By using TVNewsTalk you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy.