Fox Weather

Georgie56

The Fox Weather/The Weather Live unlisted Youtube link shared earlier in the thread has updated graphics like the ones in the Variety article. Before they looked more like standard FNC graphics.

Actually, there's now an America Live Weather stream that has the graphics previously used on the Fox Weather stream, with a look very much in line with the Fox News Channel logo, so I wonder if that's going to pop up on FNC.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YJVjv8qNIDY

Edited by mightynine

Two aspects of that Variety article are very interesting and have me optimistic. First, they mention potential potential digital cable carriage of FWX through Fox Television Station agreements. Could that be through digital subchannel carriage rules? How fantastic would it be to have both Newsy and Fox Weather launch OTA in the same year?

Secondly, they mention possibly the biggest factor in keeping FWX "on the rails" editorially- advertiser dollars. FOX has to be thrilled at the prospect of brand new advertiser dollars from companies who otherwise wouldn't touch FNC with a ten foot pole.

1 hour ago, Georgie56 said:

Appears Fox Weather had an accidental soft-launch on FS2 this afternoon (FS2 has since went back to regular programming)

Purely idle speculation, but could Fox consider dumping FS2 for Fox Weather?

Also, @Georgie56that YT link is set to private.

Edited by mightynine

Here's a direct link - Fox Weather TWL - international rotation | earthTV® - YouTube

And an interesting concept. Perhaps once they get an idea of how many clicks the stream and app are generating, and can compare that to FS2 ratings, we might see a shakeup. But as of now they have no idea how well this new endeavor is going to perform. Another thing to consider is what kind of sports rights are tied into FS2 and whether FOX is willing to lose it as a sports overflow option. 

39 minutes ago, mightynine said:

Purely idle speculation, but could Fox consider dumping FS2 for Fox Weather?

Also, @Georgie56that YT link is set to private.

This LA Times piece says that FWX will also be offered on the Fox O&O subchannels in January, so not likely.

Yeah, it’s my fault for linking that video in the first place.

Edited by Georgie56
  • Like 1

On 10/23/2021 at 1:03 AM, Wildish said:

Also, I hope it takes the spot of fs2. A mobile only weather channel is a disaster and many of us don’t have access to ota sub channels.

I wouldn't hold out hope for a linear version of FOX Weather replacing FS2. Cable companies won't carry it if the feed is the exact same content that is available for free elsewhere. Its why you see CNN+, MSNBC's "The Choice" on Peacock, and Fox Nation. Plus with the direct-to-consumer model, Fox can determine how many actual viewers they have. That data is much better than Nielsen's "estimates" on viewership. 

4 minutes ago, Spring Rubber said:

Oh shoot, didn't realize they were going live this early in the morning. I just tuned in.

Have they announced what their live stream hours will be? Are they planning on being live 24/7, or are there going to be certain dayparts where they recycle repeat programming?

Unsure. Guessing two or three 6 hour blocks (Sunrise, Midday & Evenings) initially and maybe a Late Night ‘weathercast’ 10P to Midnight and live updates at top/bottom of the hour overnight. I do like what I see so far.

Yeah, even TWC in its heyday didn't do live programming overnight. The old days when TWC was all weather, all the time; they would be fully live from 5AM ET - 3AM ET, and then they'd repeat the 2AM hour at 3AM and 4AM before going back live at 5AM.

I wouldn't quite expect Fox Weather to do that many hours live, as I don't believe the demand for live programming that late at night exists anymore. It will be interesting to see how they handle severe weather that goes past their normal live hours, and honestly, just to see how they handle severe weather in general, even during their normal live hours.

The good thing is that we won't have to wait very long, as there is severe weather in the forecast Monday, Tuesday, and Wednesday this week, with the Tuesday severe weather looking the worst of the bunch.

One of the huge flaws with modern TWC is that as the years go on, they disregard more and more severe weather that occurs outside of their normal live hours. It has gotten so bad that TWC basically doesn't even have the staff available to continue coverage later in the day even if conditions merit doing so. The SPC basically has to issue a High Risk area these days to even get the TWC execs to think about approving additional live hours. Even on days that the SPC issues a Moderate Risk lately, TWC still ends programming at 8pm ET on Weekdays and 1pm ET on weekends regardless of how bad the actual weather is. I would like to see Fox Weather put in some serious, in-depth coverage during TWC's off-hours and force some competition in covering severe weather.

Courtesy of their on-screen promo graphics in the bottom right corner, here's the programming schedule...

FoxWx_ProgrammingSchedule.png.1db08194af7ba5cd82893bccaa26519b.png

Interesting to see that Sky Dome is such a long program compared to all of the other programs. Makes me think that maybe the Sky Dome portion of the schedule will be a mix of live and pre-recorded programming to fill that midday chunk of the schedule.

I wonder what "Fox Weather Wild" is...if it's just a fancy Fox branding for a live program or if it's some time of long form program that showcases wild weather, akin to TWC's primetime programming?

I'm going to guess Night Light will be a live-to-tape style program that recycles hourly from 1AM-5AM, much like the old days of TWC's pre-recorded overnight hours.

Since these programs are all advertised as weekday-only. I wonder how much, if any, live weekend programming they'll have. I speculate we might have to wait until this upcoming Saturday to find out. I hope they don't largely ditch weekends the same way that TWC does these days.

Edited by Spring Rubber

Interesting, so according to this, they are going to be live with just this team for six hours straight. If they are indeed truly live for the whole time and don't do any type of pre-records, then wow, that's quite a long time for any continuous broadcast, especially when their commercial breaks are only two minutes, and the frequency of said breaks is not very often at all.

I don't think I know of any live program, national or local, that does a continuous 6-hour broadcast with the same on-air team. That's a lot of talking!

Edited by Spring Rubber

4 hours ago, Spring Rubber said:

Courtesy of their on-screen promo graphics in the bottom right corner, here's the programming schedule...

FoxWx_ProgrammingSchedule.png.1db08194af7ba5cd82893bccaa26519b.png

Interesting to see that Sky Dome is such a long program compared to all of the other programs. Makes me think that maybe the Sky Dome portion of the schedule will be a mix of live and pre-recorded programming to fill that midday chunk of the schedule.

I wonder what "Fox Weather Wild" is...if it's just a fancy Fox branding for a live program or if it's some time of long form program that showcases wild weather, akin to TWC's primetime programming?

I'm going to guess Night Light will be a live-to-tape style program that recycles hourly from 1AM-5AM, much like the old days of TWC's pre-recorded overnight hours.

Since these programs are all advertised as weekday-only. I wonder how much, if any, live weekend programming they'll have. I speculate we might have to wait until this upcoming Saturday to find out. I hope they don't largely ditch weekends the same way that TWC does these days.

Well, turns out Sky Dome is only from 9am-Noon ET. America’s Weather Center is the main afternoon block, apparently.

• Georgie56 changed the title to Fox Weather