Fox Weather

Georgie56

Here's an example of what they're doing with the "slivers" at the bottom of the lower thirds. Every single topic now has its own dedicated sliver like "Fox Weather Extreme Heat", "Fox Weather Top Story", "Fox Weather Wildfire Alert", etc. The show's own sliver "America's Weather Now" only appears very briefly as they transition between segments, almost like a "bridge" between these other slivers.

As the day goes on, it appears that they're no longer allowed to use any show opens, wipes, or any other full screen graphics that display the show's title. The use of the show's title is limited to just the occasional slivers on the bottom of the lower thirds, to the background behind the anchor desk, and to a few random monitors across the studio. All OCM scripts continue to say "Fox Weather" in place of the show names.

Clearly some consultant decided that they want to go full steam on the "Fox Weather" brand only. Personally, I'm really going to miss dedicated show opens. I hate the modern trend of eliminating openers.

FoxWX_20220801-2.png

@Spring Rubberand I are both huge watchers of FOX Weather ever since this channel came out.

Yes, I have noticed this as well. Is this the start of live 24/7 weather? I don't think so but the changes are really noticeable.

For now, the program guide on The Roku Channel still says the program names and the times it airs. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, TheRolyPoly said:

@Spring Rubberand I are both huge watchers of FOX Weather ever since this channel came out.

Yes, I have noticed this as well. Is this the start of live 24/7 weather? I don't think so but the changes are really noticeable.

For now, the program guide on The Roku Channel still says the program names and the times it airs. 

That or a way to repeat hours more easily.

Fox Weather sure seems very much in the experimental stage.

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, TheRolyPoly said:

Verizon FiOS will soon become the first pay TV provider to carry FOX Weather.

I wonder what that will mean for the future of their web/mobile stream. I wonder if it will always stay free or if they will get to the point where they charge for the stream. Right now, as far as advertisements on the stream go, there's only 4 ad breaks per hour, each break lasting only 60-90 seconds, and I'd say that over 90% of the ads are pharmaceutical ads for the same few medications over and over. I wonder if they'll either increase the number of ads, start charging for the stream, or both.

One change they just made on the stream this week is that the commercials are now clickable links so that you can be brought to the advertiser's website. I'm assuming that will help bring their ad revenue a bit higher, from the few commercials that they do have.

2 hours ago, TheRolyPoly said:

Verizon FiOS will soon become the first pay TV provider to carry FOX Weather.

Actually YouTube TV is their first pay TV provider. Verizon would be their first cable provider.

1 hour ago, Spring Rubber said:

I wonder what that will mean for the future of their web/mobile stream. I wonder if it will always stay free or if they will get to the point where they charge for the stream.

Considering FOX Weather is streaming first, I don't think they'll lock it down anytime soon, or else they'll lose most of their user base. Also, look at Newsmax. Their stream is completely free despite being on many cable providers.

• Like 3

I feel like FOX views FWX as their version of the big 3's streaming news outlets. The news market was saturated (and they already launched FOX Nation), so this is their entry into the FAST realm. Their spots on the streamers have been firmly established, so now they can work on getting their way onto cable lineups.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, PhillyWatch said:

I feel like FOX views FWX as their version of the big 3's streaming news outlets. The news market was saturated (and they already launched FOX Nation), so this is their entry into the FAST realm. Their spots on the streamers have been firmly established, so now they can work on getting their way onto cable lineups.

Actually, they got into the FAST realm before FOX Weather. Its called LiveNOW from FOX.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Fox weather called it a night at their usual weeknight end time of 10pm ET. They switched to "Fox Weather Live" automated maps with top and bottom of the hour updates only. TWC is staying fully live until 1am ET tonight and will begin 24/7 live coverage starting tomorrow at 6am ET and continuing through after the landfall. Will be interesting to see if Fox Weather will do the same, or if they're going to continue writing off coverage during the nighttime hours.

Ever since Fox Weather invested big time in that overnight coverage for the December 2021 tornado outbreak, it seems like they've been super reluctant on doing more than top/bottom of the hour updates with automated maps during the nighttime hours.

I know when it comes to extending coverage, one thing TWC does is extend every on-air shift to four hours instead of three. I wonder if Fox Weather has the contractual leverage to do that, or if they're bound to keeping certain shifts at 3 hours.

Either way, for a big event like this, I'll be sorely disappointed if Fox Weather doesn't begin 24/7 live coverage starting tomorrow.

Fox Weather has expanded its distribution to Verizon FiOS and Amazon's Freevee (formerly IMDB TV).

https://thestreamable.com/news/fox-weather-expands-distribution-amidst-hurricane-ian-coverage

https://tvnewscheck.com/journalism/article/fox-weather-expands-distribution-2/

Edited by tw-804

Fox weather did finally do overnight nonstop coverage last night Wednesday into Thursday, and a major factor may have been the fact that management decided to simulcast Fox Weather on Fox News Channel from 1am-4am ET.

During the daytime hours on Wednesday, Fox Weather shuffled up their OCM schedule around the landfall. Ian Oliver and Kelly Costa (in for Brigit Mahony) moved up from the 4pm timeslot up to the 2pm ET shift and were on the air as Ian ironically made landfall in Cayo Costa, FL. The normal 1pm ET crew of Stephen Morgan and Kendall Smith moved down to somewhere around a 5pm or 6pm ET start (unsure), while Nick Kosir and Marissa Torres moved down from their normal 7pm ET start to instead begin their coverage at 10pm ET so that they could help support the overnight shift. The makeshift team of Michael Estime and Jane Minar picked up coverage at 3am ET before the normal morning crew started.

Looks like they're continuing with modified shifts today, as Ian and Kelly took over at 2pm ET again. I'm assuming that coverage will continue live a tad bit later into the night, but I'm doubting that there would be any overnight coverage tonight.

26 minutes ago, NYNewsCoverage said:

I noticed on the guide here in NYC and thought it was interesting that Fox Weather was being carried by WWOR (my9) today from 10am-12pm..not sure if this would be a permanent addition to the lineup or was because of Ian?

The Fox-owned MyNetwork duopoly stations simulcast two hours of Fox Weather every weekend, and one hour every weekday. 

• Sad 1

• 2 weeks later...

A couple of updates. I'll start with the bad news and work up to the good news.

1) It looks like John Marshall has parted ways with Fox Weather. When they were shorthanded during the overnight hours for Hurricane Ian coverage, I was thinking to myself, "Wow, I can't believe they're not putting John Marshall on the air to help with the overnights and weekends." From checking his social media, he updated his bio to say, "The forecast was delivered for ch.2 ch. 4 & Fox Weather." in the past tense, and he changed his profile pic from a Fox Weather headshot to a personal pic. Based on his Twitter, he suddenly stopped posting Fox Weather material after September 16th, so that must have been his last day with them.

https://twitter.com/johnmarshall_wx

2) This past weekend, they aired all long-form programming after 2pm ET instead of automated weather maps. Live weather didn't return until 1am ET when Night Light started. I sure hope this was just being done to make up for no long form being aired during Hurricane Ian coverage. I have my concerns that it might be permanent. Seems like the execs keep flip-flopping on long-form programming versus automated maps. We'll have to see what they do this upcoming weekend.

3) After a 10-month hiatus, America's Weather Tonight has returned in a new format. It is now a pre-recorded show with a runtime of ~13-15 minutes, airing during the 11pm-1am ET slot that used to house "Fox Weather Live" automated weather maps. I didn't tune in and see it until 12:30am ET last night, so I don't know how often it airs. I'm guessing top and bottom of the hour? The show is solo-hosted and pre-recorded earlier in the day. Last night's show was hosted by Ian Oliver; unsure if they'll have rotating hosts or if he'll always be the main host. There were only short weather map segments detailing the national forecast for that evening plus the forecast for the following day. Much of last night's show was spent airing pre-taped field reports from Hurricane Ian's aftermath. I'm curious how the format will evolve when there's less big stories going on; if they'll keep airing mostly taped reports or if they'll mix it more weather maps on slow nights.

After the 13-15 minute America's Weather Tonight ended, there was a commercial break, followed by Fox Weather Live automated weather maps to round out the half-hour block from 12:45am-1:00am. Fox Weather Live didn't go without changes itself; they have replaced the background music they've been using since Fox Weather's launch with smooth jazz instead. It's definitely music with a more modern feel than what TWC used to use. I'm having a hard time telling if it's commercial music or if it's perhaps production music.

I'll have to tune in tonight, if I remember, to see if this format holds true for the entire 11pm-1am ET block.

FoxWX_20221011-6.png

FoxWX_20221011-7.png

• Confused 1

Brigit Mahoney is hosting tonight's edition of America's Weather Tonight. I'm guessing her and Ian will rotate on a nightly basis.

Also, I was surprised to see that this rotation of America's Weather Tonight and Fox Weather Live now starts at 10pm ET instead of 11pm ET, so this means that the 10pm hour formerly occupied by Fox Weather Wild and assorted long form specials is now gone.

The pre-recorded America's Weather Tonight segment airs at :00 and :30 of every hour from 10pm-1am ET, and it's the same segment each time, so it does feel a little stale over time. Tonight's edition was still just a couple of weather maps and 90% stories and pre-recorded reports and interviews from earlier in the day. There was a little less Hurricane Ian aftermath coverage tonight and a little more assortment of stories.

Every hour from 10pm-1am ET is structured as:

:00 America's Weather Tonight

:15 Fox Weather Live - automated maps

:30 America's Weather Tonight

:45 Fox Weather Live - automated maps

Edited by Spring Rubber
  • Confused 1

It appears FOX Weather daily and weekend simulcasts are dropped from FOX duop stations, or at least from WWOR, which usually airs M-F at 10a and Satudays at 10-12p. No word when that happened exactly, but its timeslot is now occupied with L+ O: SVU. I first noticed it on youtubetv listings, later confirmed it on Zap2it. Has anyone else noticed it?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, justin2kx said:

It appears FOX Weather daily and weekend simulcasts are dropped from FOX duop stations, or at least from WWOR, which usually airs M-F at 10a and Satudays at 10-12p. No word when that happened exactly, but its timeslot is now occupied with L+ O: SVU. I first noticed it on youtubetv listings, later confirmed it on Zap2it. Has anyone else noticed it?

Yeah, I'm not seeing it listed in the Chicago market any longer, either.

On 10/15/2022 at 2:04 PM, justin2kx said:

Pretty sure it was dropped sometime in early September at the start of the fall season. KICU dropped it too, though it still has the Live Now simulcast in the middle of the day. If I'm not mistaken, Fox Weather is on a subchannel somehwere on at least one of the stations Fox owns in each market.

Well, that didn't last long. Fox Weather seems to have killed off the smooth jazz automated weather maps after just one week. Starting tonight, America's Weather Tonight is now a 30-minute show, rerunning continuously throughout the 10pm-1am ET timeslots. With this change, Ian Oliver and Brigit Mahoney now co-host the show instead of alternating nights solo-hosting it.

Well, I mean, I guess you could say "days" solo-hosting it, as based on the Fox Weather Alert System behind the hosts, this was recorded around 3:47pm, shortly before Ian and Brigit start their actual live Across America show at 4pm ET.

(Please forgive the awkward face Ian is making in this screencap. The first screencap I took had their eyes closed, so I went for a second one and got this. By the time I tried to take a 3rd screencap, they were already off the screen.)

FoxWX_20221018-8.png

• Confused 1

• 2 weeks later...

One year into Fox Weather's existence, one of the major barriers between Fox Weather and FNC has been broken. Today, Amy Freeze was tapped as a guest host on FNC's Outnumbered.

When she says "joining", she doesn't just mean a single segment; she was actually a guest co-host (filling in for Harris Faulkner) for the full hour today.

Edited by Spring Rubber
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 2