Fox Weather

Georgie56

Here's an example of what they're doing with the "slivers" at the bottom of the lower thirds. Every single topic now has its own dedicated sliver like "Fox Weather Extreme Heat", "Fox Weather Top Story", "Fox Weather Wildfire Alert", etc. The show's own sliver "America's Weather Now" only appears very briefly as they transition between segments, almost like a "bridge" between these other slivers.

As the day goes on, it appears that they're no longer allowed to use any show opens, wipes, or any other full screen graphics that display the show's title. The use of the show's title is limited to just the occasional slivers on the bottom of the lower thirds, to the background behind the anchor desk, and to a few random monitors across the studio. All OCM scripts continue to say "Fox Weather" in place of the show names.

Clearly some consultant decided that they want to go full steam on the "Fox Weather" brand only. Personally, I'm really going to miss dedicated show opens. I hate the modern trend of eliminating openers.

FoxWX_20220801-2.png

@Spring Rubberand I are both huge watchers of FOX Weather ever since this channel came out.

Yes, I have noticed this as well. Is this the start of live 24/7 weather? I don't think so but the changes are really noticeable.

For now, the program guide on The Roku Channel still says the program names and the times it airs. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, TheRolyPoly said:

@Spring Rubberand I are both huge watchers of FOX Weather ever since this channel came out.

Yes, I have noticed this as well. Is this the start of live 24/7 weather? I don't think so but the changes are really noticeable.

For now, the program guide on The Roku Channel still says the program names and the times it airs. 

That or a way to repeat hours more easily.

Fox Weather sure seems very much in the experimental stage.

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, TheRolyPoly said:

Verizon FiOS will soon become the first pay TV provider to carry FOX Weather.

I wonder what that will mean for the future of their web/mobile stream. I wonder if it will always stay free or if they will get to the point where they charge for the stream. Right now, as far as advertisements on the stream go, there's only 4 ad breaks per hour, each break lasting only 60-90 seconds, and I'd say that over 90% of the ads are pharmaceutical ads for the same few medications over and over. I wonder if they'll either increase the number of ads, start charging for the stream, or both.

One change they just made on the stream this week is that the commercials are now clickable links so that you can be brought to the advertiser's website. I'm assuming that will help bring their ad revenue a bit higher, from the few commercials that they do have.

2 hours ago, TheRolyPoly said:

Verizon FiOS will soon become the first pay TV provider to carry FOX Weather.

Actually YouTube TV is their first pay TV provider. Verizon would be their first cable provider.

1 hour ago, Spring Rubber said:

I wonder what that will mean for the future of their web/mobile stream. I wonder if it will always stay free or if they will get to the point where they charge for the stream.

Considering FOX Weather is streaming first, I don't think they'll lock it down anytime soon, or else they'll lose most of their user base. Also, look at Newsmax. Their stream is completely free despite being on many cable providers.

• Like 3

I feel like FOX views FWX as their version of the big 3's streaming news outlets. The news market was saturated (and they already launched FOX Nation), so this is their entry into the FAST realm. Their spots on the streamers have been firmly established, so now they can work on getting their way onto cable lineups.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, PhillyWatch said:

I feel like FOX views FWX as their version of the big 3's streaming news outlets. The news market was saturated (and they already launched FOX Nation), so this is their entry into the FAST realm. Their spots on the streamers have been firmly established, so now they can work on getting their way onto cable lineups.

Actually, they got into the FAST realm before FOX Weather. Its called LiveNOW from FOX.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 8/2/2022 at 12:32 PM, TheRolyPoly said:

So does Xumo.