Fox Weather

Georgie56

I hope Haley Meier enjoyed her one day off yesterday. She was on Thursday and Friday in for Kelly Costa, hosted her own show Sat/Sun, filled in for Kelly Costa again on Monday, had Tuesday off, and filled in for Steve Bender today. I think today was her first time hosting one of the regularly-scheduled weekday live shows, as opposed to the pre-recorded loop style of shows, or the overnight special hurricane coverage, that she has hosted to date.

If my calculations are correct, Marissa Torres is one month or less away from maternity leave. If Steve Bender is going to be hosting a new show, I wonder if that entails bringing an end to their current pairing. 

• Like 2

I’m sure Haley is thrilled for the opportunity and doesn’t mind just having the one day…

Steve Bender was not out yesterday, as he hosted the 6pm hour. Perhaps they are looking to reduce live programming and will cut the show he previously anchored with Marissa down. I’m sure they will have a spot for Marissa when she returns.

im surprised Bob doesn’t have his own show yet. Perhaps he’s going to transition into a role on the early morning show with Jason transitioning to dayside.

13 hours ago, Jman7885 said:

I’m sure Haley is thrilled for the opportunity and doesn’t mind just having the one day…

Steve Bender was not out yesterday, as he hosted the 6pm hour. Perhaps they are looking to reduce live programming and will cut the show he previously anchored with Marissa down. I’m sure they will have a spot for Marissa when she returns.

im surprised Bob doesn’t have his own show yet. Perhaps he’s going to transition into a role on the early morning show with Jason transitioning to dayside.

Because I can't get off work early to save my life lately, I checked their video clips on their website, and I see that yet again, Steve Bender was on earlier this evening from Studio W while Hailey is with Marissa again on the nighttime show in Studio A.

Was Bender solo? And is he only on for one hour from 6-7pm ET?

I really hope the nighttime Fox Weather Live continues after Marissa goes on leave, regardless of who they can get to fill the timeslot. I know it's a tough timeslot to get the weekend folks to fill because the weekend team is all morning folks, aside from Haley.

Ok, so I finally got a shorter day at work today.

Here's what I saw today:

"The Daily Bender" is, at present, a sub-title of Fox Weather Live. The show uses the Fox Weather Live graphics and title still. This may change when they have time to actually develop a new graphics package, if they bother to make that effort? We'll see.

"The Daily Bender" is two hours from 6pm-8pm ET and is formatted very similarly to Ian Oilver's show in that "home base" for the show is the Expert Desk in Studio W, and Steve regularly tosses to another meteorologist throughout the show in the same way that Ian tosses to Kendall throughout his show. In the case of tonight's edition of "The Daily Bender," Haley Meier was the meteorologist who Steve tossed to throughout the show. No idea if she's going to be the regular on the show or not.

Interestingly enough, Marissa Torres filled in for Kendall on the 2nd half of Ian's afternoon show today (Jason filled in for Kendall during the first half). Marissa then joined Haley for the nighttime Fox Weather Live beginning at 8pm ET.

31 minutes ago, Jman7885 said:

Looks like Steve was back with Marissa for atleast the 8pm hour on Tuesday. Not sure if he still solo hosted earlier or not?

I actually came here to talk about this... guess what... no Daily Bender this week. They have now reverted all the way back to the pre-Labor Day setup of Steve and Marissa in Studio A from 6-8pm ET, and then moving the show to Studio W from 8-10pm ET. Both today and yesterday followed this pre-Labor Day format. (albeit with Kendall filling in for Marissa yesterday).

• 2 weeks later...

Surprisingly, Studio K, not seen since mid-August, remains in-tact and is occasionally being used for America's Weather Center as of this week. The show has been displaced from Studio A all week. This week's shows have split days between Studio K and Studio W.

FoxWX_20231026-3.thumb.png.79dc5b130570c49c544d0953ca1f29d1.png

Fox Weather First and the first two hours of Fox Weather Live continue to originate from Studio A as normal.

• 3 weeks later...

Looks like Marissa Torres began her maternity leave a few weeks ago on October 23rd. Unlike when Steve Bender was on paternity leave earlier this year, and Stephen Morgan filled in for him the entire time, they're not sticking with a steady fill-in for Marissa. The week of October 23rd was Kendall Smith in for Marissa all week. The week of October 30th was Kiyana Lewis the entire week. This past week of November 6th was different almost every day. Haley Meier did Mon/Tue. Rick Reichmuth did Wed. Jane Minar did Thu, and Steve Bender hosted solo yesterday on Friday.

Surrounding Kiyana's Mon-Fri fill-in shift the week of October 30th, she's been off weekends since October 28th. Since then, the past three weekends have featured Jane moving back up to her old 6am-9am ET slot alongside Craig, and then the 9am-12pm ET show has been Michael Estime and Bob Van Dillen for the first hour, with Rick Reichmuth joining both of them for the final two hours. He's not with them for the first hour of the show since he's still on Fox & Friends at that time.

Jason Frazer took his delayed paternity simultaneously with Marissa's leave.

Per his Facebook post

Fox Weather is going to be stretched thin yet again for the next 2-3 months.

Thursday and Friday night last week, they ended live programming 2 hours early. We'll probably see that happen several more times until Jason and Marissa return in January.

Kiyana Lewis is also out this week, as she just got married this past weekend. They talked about it and showed pictures on air Monday morning. It looks like Kendall Smith is also out this week as well.

Desperate times call for desperate measures. Craig and Jane both worked Tuesday on their regular day off (Craig co-hosted Fox Weather First and then held the third seat on Weather Command. Jane hosted America's Weather Center and did select segments on Fox Weather Now.) Also on Tuesday, Haley Meier appeared on three straight shows. She hosted Fox Weather Live at night, but prior to that, she contributed to select segments on both America's Weather Center and Fox Weather Now.

And the biggest one of them all? After 10.5 months removed from the position, Nick Kosir returned to the anchor role tonight, hosting Fox Weather Live alongside Steve Bender.

Live programming ended two hours early on Monday. The network operated a full normal schedule yesterday on Tuesday due to the south Florida flooding. Hopefully they'll pull a full schedule tonight as the flooding and severe weather continues. I'm assuming the fact that they asked Nick to anchor means that they intend to do a full schedule today.

I fully expect them to return to a shortened schedule toward the end of this week and for as long as they remain short-staffed.

Surprised no one has mentioned this...Kelly Costa has been on live pretty late some nights lately. For example, tonight, she is on live right now (around 1:20AM). (The "Fox Weather" logo "bug" in the lower left screen corner has the word live on it with the wipe action going across it every so often so you know they're live.)

• 3 weeks later...

Kiyana is back from her honeymoon, and with that, it looks like a new weekend schedule has started today. Bob Van Dillen now joins Haley Meier starting at 12pm ET. This show is now branded as Fox Weather Live and is a control room-produced show, as opposed to the rinky-dink automation-type production previously used on weekend afternoons.

Craig and Kiyana are back on the 6am-9am ET block. The 9am-12pm ET block is back to being Michael, Jane, and Rick, now minus Bob.

Edit: From checking the Roku program guide, this new Fox Weather Live block only runs from 12pm-2pm ET, and then long form starts at 2pm ET and runs for the rest of the night. As part of the weekend long form block, there's a new long-form show called It's Been A Week at 3pm ET, which features a recap of the week's weather events.

So we're trading the automation-produced Haley Meier weather show from 12pm-8pm ET and getting a control-room produced Haley Meier and Bob Van Dillen show that airs only from 12pm-2pm ET. I swear, the network keeps bouncing back and forth between having weather programming on weekend afternoons, and now we're going back to the "no, let's do long form programming instead" swing of things.

Edited by Spring Rubber

New titlebars for maps rolled out this morning 12/5. Everything else about the on-air look remains the same for now.

The new map titlebars all now have a navy blue background, are thinner, and (mostly) have left-aligned text instead of centered text.

FoxWX_20231205-3.thumb.png.a2192fb152b8345e688e3bac15773382.png

FoxWX_20231205-4.thumb.png.026974b8cd8af18c9366888de4f326ce.png

FoxWX_20231205-5.thumb.png.68a5f24b2fdbfab1a11c39a201cae3dc.png

And this is what I mean when I say (mostly) left-aligned text, because then you have a few that still have centered text...

FoxWX_20231205-8.thumb.png.1e906a0843551a2ff83d67d68946088c.png

12 hours ago, H-Town TV Fan said:

Whatever happened to correspondent Will Nunley?

I found an FTV post stating that he left the network on July 14th "to tend to personal responsibilities at home in Nashville."

It was written in a leaked memo from Sherri Berg that Will would remain available as a freelancer; however, to date, I don't believe that's happened yet? Not 100% sure, though.

In other news, Zack Green, formerly of WBZ, has joined Fox Weather seemingly without any pre-announcement. He is hosting his first on-air shift today from 9am-12pm ET.

FoxWX_20231209-2.thumb.png.da525a079aced2c9810fafcefb8f6d1b.png

FoxWX_20231209-7.thumb.png.e386419f722a51f99b8c93b08446a4e7.png

FoxWX_20231209-4.thumb.png.e73a285174b78fa3b370699e7c966498.png

2 hours ago, Megatron81 said:

Did Brigit Mahoney leave the business? I know she left Fox Weather in the summer. I still think Steve On A Bender is a great title if he ever gets his own show on Fox Weather LOL😂.

I know Brigit was just about to get married at the time she left. I'm imagining she'll take some time to decide what's next. Maybe we'll see if she pops up anywhere in 2024.

Kelly Costa is hosting the 6pm ET edition of Fox Weather Live solo from Orlando tonight. Wouldn't be surprised if they're having a company holiday party in NYC. With Kelly hosting this shift, I'm expecting that they'll probably air long-form programming throughout the primetime and overnight hours.

• 1 month later...
On 1/29/2024 at 6:16 PM, H-Town TV Fan said:

The weekend edition of "Fox Weather Live" recently changed its theme music to the same intro music from "Weather Command".

I noticed that as well. It's also ironic considering that Weather Command pretty much only uses its own music during the intros now. That show tends to always use "severe weather" music during teasers and when going to break now.

Another change that happened, I believe, sometime during December, is that America's Weather Center's music was changed to a very serious-sounding production track. I'm not a fan at all.

Sometime during the past week or two, the weekday edition of Fox Weather First began splitting its time between Studio A and Studio W. I know the 8am ET hour originates from Studio W, and the early morning hours originate from Studio A (as seen on the videos they post), but I haven't watched live early enough to see what time they switch studios.

On days that don't feature serious weather situations, they do not use the anchor desk for the Studio W portion of the show. Instead, they use a small coffee table with raised chairs positioned in front of the curved video wall. It looks like they still use the anchor desk on serious weather days.

• 2 weeks later...

Changes at Fox Weather,

According to this instagram post, Steve Bender and Kiyana Lewis launched a revamped Fox Weather Live this week, now airing from 6-9pm ET. Not sure where this leaves Marissa Torres, but her bio is still on the website. I did notice however that Kelly Costa seems to have left as her bio is off the website and FOX Weather's Instagram account stopped following her.