Fox Weather

Georgie56

Looks on this weekend morning/early afternoon, Fox Weather Live is taking after the weekday program by the same name: more people, less live...

FoxWX_20230812-5.thumb.png.4100dc985551471318b61c7d7a47d57c.png

I started watching during the 12pm ET hour, and the show was already sans "LIVE" tag on the bug. Unsure if they just did a single live hour at 10am ET or if they also did the 11am hour live. Either way, the hours of live programming just keep eroding more and more by the week. 😐

America's Weather Center is fully live today because Hurricane Hilary is expected to make a rare impact to the southwestern US.

The past two days, a little bit of role reversal has taken place, as Jane has been the host, and Kendall has been the sidekick. She's also generally been the sidekick on Fox Weather Now most days since Brigit's departure. Seems like they're trying to move Kendall into Brigit's old slot while still keeping her involved with America's Weather Center as well.

• Like 1

Haley Meier made her studio debut tonight, solo-hosting the extended coverage of Hilary from 11pm ET onward. (Jane Minar solo-hosted the entire block from 2pm-11pm ET, mostly pre-recorded it seemed, but she kept returning occasionally for live updates, particularly near the times that new advisories were released. Seems like Haley's shift will be structured the same way.)

FoxWX_20230819-32.png

Edited by Spring Rubber
  • Like 1

Looks like even today on Sunday afternoon as Hilary has made landfall, Fox Weather went into "prerecorded loop" weather programming with no live radar, no live warning info, etc. Looks to me that just like yesterday, they're only planning to do live updates about every 3 hours when a new advisory is released.

I feel like we're witnessing the downfall of Fox Weather. If they can't even stay live for a once-in-a-lifetime weather event, just because it happened to occur on a weekend, they're toast.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Thought-Provoking 1

Haley did a good job when I checked it last night I was surprised that Jane was doing anchoring when I checked in couldn't they get Ian, Steve Bender, & Amy to come in and do the coverage? I saw Marissa an hour ago I was kinda surprised to her on air and now Kelly when I flipped it a few minutes ago.

TWC had several of their weekday meteorologists in covering the storm over the weekend. Why can't FOX Weather? It's not like they didn't know it was coming. I understand if they had previous obligations and all but they need to do better to cover these big events on weekends. Especially a historic one like Hilary.

• Like 1

So apparently Fox Weather leaves the "hype level" up to the producers of a given show, rather than it being a network-wide decision. As you may know, there's currently a tropical invest located off the Yucatan peninsula that has a high chance of development into a tropical storm/hurricane that could enter the Gulf of Mexico and impact the US mainland around the middle of next week.

Today, despite this just being a disturbance in its early stages, and not even a Tropical Depression yet, the 6am-9am ET edition of Fox Weather First turned all of the studio lights red and replaced all Fox Weather First graphics with the network's tropical graphics.

Every other show so far today, including the solo-hosted 5am ET hour of Fox Weather FirstWeather Command, and America's Weather Center, were all produced using each show's normal graphics, and normal studio lighting colors.

Surprised that this type of decision is left up to each show's producers and isn't made at a network-wide level.

• Like 3

Haley Meier is hosting her first regularly-scheduled show today on Fox Weather Live alongside Michael Estime. Michael gave her a warm welcome to the desk at the top of the hour. For someone who is fresh out of college, she's pretty good at this. If I hadn't read up on her background, I never would have known that she wasn't a broadcast veteran coming from another station.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Looks like another weekend schedule change: As of apparently yesterday 9/9, both weekend morning shows have been reduced to three hours each, and a pre-recorded weather show hosted by Haley Meier (in the same format and production style as the weekday Kelly Costa overnight show) has been added, starting at 12pm ET.

After three weeks of them running a super modified weekend schedule due to hurricane coverage, it appears that the 4-host format of Fox Weather Live, previously seen on August 12th, is here to stay.

The current weekend schedule as of 9/9/23 is:

6am-9am ET: Fox Weather First Weekend with Craig Herrera and Kiyana Lewis

9am-12pm ET: Fox Weather Live with Michael Estime, Jane Minar, Bob Van Dillen, and Rick Reichmuth

12pm-8pm ET: Untitled Fox Weather show with Haley Meier (same 30-min pre-recorded format as the weekday Kelly Costa show)

8pm-2am ET: Long form programming

2am-4am ET: Night Light

4am-6am ET: Long form programming (runs until only 5am ET on Monday mornings since the weekday edition of Fox Weather First starts at that time)

On a side note, since we didn't discuss this earlier, I will say that Fox Weather poured a lot more hours into Hurricane Idalia coverage compared to Hurricane Hilary, since Idalia was well-anticipated as a storm that would make US landfall as a major hurricane. I believe Fox Weather outpaced TWC in hours of coverage during the weekend and the weekday overnights leading up to landfall, and they far outpaced TWC in the number of hours of primetime, overnight, weekend coverage during the aftermath of the storm. After the storm's August 30th landfall, Fox Weather showed coverage of the aftermath nonstop all day throughout the rest of the week and the entire weekend, not returning to a regular schedule until Labor Day. To be clear, not all hours of aftermath coverage or pre-storm weekend coverage were fully live, but at least it wasn't the standard faire of long form that TWC was airing during the overnight hours as soon as two days before landfall and during primetime as soon as two days after landfall.

Fox Weather did a 180 from their lackluster Hurricane Hilary coverage and is going all-in on the weekend coverage for Hurricane Lee. They stayed live all overnight Friday night into Saturday and are staying live all afternoon and evening on Saturday. They brought in a significant portion of their weekday hosts and staff to cover the event from start to finish.

Also of note, comparing 2022 to 2023, in 2022, Bryan Norcross handled both hurricane landfalls (Ian and Nicole) from his work-from-home setup. In 2023, Norcross flew to NYC and handled landfall coverage for both Idalia and Lee from the studio.

Looks like at the end of August, during Hurricane Idalia when the whole network exclusively used the main Studio W during landfall coverage, they took the opportunity to replace the anchor desk in Studio A (former Fox Business studio).

As previously noted, after Fox Business stopped using the studio in early 2023, the studio is available for the Fox Weather team to use throughout almost the whole week, but on Friday afternoons, the studio is used to pre-record The Journal Editorial Report ahead of the show's Saturday airing on FNC.

Previously, from March to August when Fox Weather first started occupying the space, Fox Weather would use a separate anchor desk for its own programming, while the FNC show would use the original desk inherited from Fox Business.

FoxWX_20230619-41.thumb.png.a4708b2757025b91d432d3bed6b46d2a.png

In this previous look, you can see the FNC / previous Fox Business desk parked in the back left behind Steve Bender. That white horizontal LED bar is part of the surface of the desk.

Starting the week after Labor Day, both the Fox Weather Desk and the FNC desk were scrapped from this set and replaced with a new desk:

FoxWX_20230913-15.thumb.png.8c12725830c2fee39362ed488d847cec.png

This new desk also has an optional raised telestrator platform that can be added whenever they deem it useful:

FoxWX_20230908-25.thumb.png.6e7f1e625fcfb82d4b869445cdf9be90.png

(looks like in the above shot, someone forgot to put the TV monitor in place behind Marissa/Nick, leading to that empty space with wiring/metal grid being exposed.)

The telestrator platform is just an added perk that's not used on every show. Heck, it's not even used on Fox Weather Live every night. I think they're still trying to sort out when they want to use it. The meteorologists are still able to telestrate using the MS Surface tablets in front of them, in lieu of the telestrator platform.

This brand new desk is now used both by the Fox Weather Team and by The Journal Editorial Report on FNC. With this change, Fox Weather First no longer gets kicked out of this studio on Friday mornings so that the FNC team can re-arrange the studio for their show. On the other hand, America's Weather Center is still unable to use this studio on Friday afternoons, presumably because it directly conflicts with whatever timeslot the FNC show is recorded. Most Friday editions of America's Weather Center have been originating from the Expert Desk in Studio W, but one Friday in August, they used Studio K as a one-off.

Also with this change, it appears that the weekday edition of Fox Weather Live no longer moves from Studio A over to Studio W for the 8pm-10pm ET block. They now seem to stay in Studio A for the entire 4-hour show.

With that being said, Studio A has easily taken over as the primary studio (by hours) for Fox Weather:

Weekdays:

5am-9am ET - Fox Weather First - Studio A

9am-12pm ET - Weather Command - Studio W

12pm-3pm ET - America's Weather Center - Studio A

3pm-6pm ET - Fox Weather Now - Studio W

6pm-10pm - Fox Weather Live - Studio A

Weekends:

6am-9am ET - Fox Weather First Weekend - Studio A

9am-12pm ET - Fox Weather Live - Studio W

Maybe I'm reading too much into it, but it just seems odd that Fox Weather is pushing the majority of on-air hours into Studio A, which is vastly smaller and less impressive in terms of appearance than Studio W. Part of me is wondering if the powers that be are looking to repurpose Studio W away from Fox Weather and give that studio back to FNC, and thereby push the entire Fox Weather operation into Studio A. It's total speculation, but it just seems really odd to reduce Studio W's usage down to only 6 hours on weekdays and 3 hours on weekends. I'm sure Fox Weather isn't a great money maker for Fox News Media, so I could see them wanting to repurpose the much bigger Studio W back over to the FNC side of things in the future.

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, H-Town TV Fan said:

Today, instead of the usual Fox Weather Live at 6:00pm EST/5:00pm CST, an extra hour of Fox Weather Now aired at said timeslot, and airing right now is -- guess what -- Fox Weather Across America with Rick Reichmuth!

lol, figures they make a huge change on a day I'm stuck working a huge data project at work and didn't have a chance to tune in a single time today.

Looks like Fox Weather Live is currently on with Steve and Marissa, and the show has moved back into the main studio W again.

Wonder what tomorrow's schedule will bring. Curious how "permanent" this arrangement will be.

9 hours ago, H-Town TV Fan said:

Today they went into the untitled weather update loop with Haley Meier two hours early, at 8:00pm EST/7:00pm CST.

Bizarre… it has to be challenging for staff (on-air and off-air) to keep things straight!  I assume Haley was in for Kelly?

On 9/17/2023 at 6:21 PM, Spring Rubber said:

Looks like at the end of August, during Hurricane Idalia when the whole network exclusively used the main Studio W during landfall coverage, they took the opportunity to replace the anchor desk in Studio A (former Fox Business studio).

As previously noted, after Fox Business stopped using the studio in early 2023, the studio is available for the Fox Weather team to use throughout almost the whole week, but on Friday afternoons, the studio is used to pre-record The Journal Editorial Report ahead of the show's Saturday airing on FNC.

Previously, from March to August when Fox Weather first started occupying the space, Fox Weather would use a separate anchor desk for its own programming, while the FNC show would use the original desk inherited from Fox Business.

FoxWX_20230619-41.thumb.png.a4708b2757025b91d432d3bed6b46d2a.png

In this previous look, you can see the FNC / previous Fox Business desk parked in the back left behind Steve Bender. That white horizontal LED bar is part of the surface of the desk.

Starting the week after Labor Day, both the Fox Weather Desk and the FNC desk were scrapped from this set and replaced with a new desk:

FoxWX_20230913-15.thumb.png.8c12725830c2fee39362ed488d847cec.png

This new desk also has an optional raised telestrator platform that can be added whenever they deem it useful:

FoxWX_20230908-25.thumb.png.6e7f1e625fcfb82d4b869445cdf9be90.png

(looks like in the above shot, someone forgot to put the TV monitor in place behind Marissa/Nick, leading to that empty space with wiring/metal grid being exposed.)

The telestrator platform is just an added perk that's not used on every show. Heck, it's not even used on Fox Weather Live every night. I think they're still trying to sort out when they want to use it. The meteorologists are still able to telestrate using the MS Surface tablets in front of them, in lieu of the telestrator platform.

This brand new desk is now used both by the Fox Weather Team and by The Journal Editorial Report on FNC. With this change, Fox Weather First no longer gets kicked out of this studio on Friday mornings so that the FNC team can re-arrange the studio for their show. On the other hand, America's Weather Center is still unable to use this studio on Friday afternoons, presumably because it directly conflicts with whatever timeslot the FNC show is recorded. Most Friday editions of America's Weather Center have been originating from the Expert Desk in Studio W, but one Friday in August, they used Studio K as a one-off.

Also with this change, it appears that the weekday edition of Fox Weather Live no longer moves from Studio A over to Studio W for the 8pm-10pm ET block. They now seem to stay in Studio A for the entire 4-hour show.

With that being said, Studio A has easily taken over as the primary studio (by hours) for Fox Weather:

Weekdays:

5am-9am ET - Fox Weather First - Studio A

9am-12pm ET - Weather Command - Studio W

12pm-3pm ET - America's Weather Center - Studio A

3pm-6pm ET - Fox Weather Now - Studio W

6pm-10pm - Fox Weather Live - Studio A

Weekends:

6am-9am ET - Fox Weather First Weekend - Studio A

9am-12pm ET - Fox Weather Live - Studio W

Maybe I'm reading too much into it, but it just seems odd that Fox Weather is pushing the majority of on-air hours into Studio A, which is vastly smaller and less impressive in terms of appearance than Studio W. Part of me is wondering if the powers that be are looking to repurpose Studio W away from Fox Weather and give that studio back to FNC, and thereby push the entire Fox Weather operation into Studio A. It's total speculation, but it just seems really odd to reduce Studio W's usage down to only 6 hours on weekdays and 3 hours on weekends. I'm sure Fox Weather isn't a great money maker for Fox News Media, so I could see them wanting to repurpose the much bigger Studio W back over to the FNC side of things in the future.

Smaller studios are usually cheaper to operate. Given all the other assumed cost cutting measures (random reduction of live programming and scheduling changes) I wouldn’t be surprised if they were using smaller studios to reduce the number of staff needed.

14 hours ago, Jman7885 said:

Bizarre… it has to be challenging for staff (on-air and off-air) to keep things straight!  I assume Haley was in for Kelly?

Yeah, Haley is in for Kelly both Thu-Fri this week. Looks like Haley's overnight show started early again tonight. I tuned in during the 9pm ET hour, and she was already on. I missed the 8pm ET hour, so not sure about that one.

I saw that Marissa Torres was the studio host of Fox Weather Now today, as Ian Oliver co-hosted the show out in the field from Coney Island to report live on the NYC flooding. Steve Bender was on during the 6pm ET hour, but unsure if he had a co-host since I had to get back to work and couldn't stay to watch long enough.

The last of the original pairings from 2021 has been broken up. Effective today, Jason Frazer has been moved from Fox Weather First to America's Weather Center.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CxvIkvBg5yq/

Michael Estime was Britta's co-host on Fox Weather First today. It's not clear to me if Jason or Michael (or neither of them) will be taking weekends. Given that they've already got Jane, Rick, and Bob on the weekend edition of Fox Weather Live, they may very well keep both Jason and Michael on weekdays - who knows.

The evening schedule appears to be back to normal today, with Fox Weather Live running from 6pm-10pm ET again.

11 minutes ago, Spring Rubber said:

The last of the original pairings from 2021 has been broken up. Effective today, Jason Frazer has been moved from Fox Weather First to America's Weather Center.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CxvIkvBg5yq/

Michael Estime was Britta's co-host on Fox Weather First today. It's not clear to me if Jason or Michael (or neither of them) will be taking weekends. Given that they've already got Jane, Rick, and Bob on the weekend edition of Fox Weather Live, they may very well keep both Jason and Michael on weekdays - who knows.

The evening schedule appears to be back to normal today, with Fox Weather Live running from 6pm-10pm ET again.

I wonder if a new morning show is in the works with Bob included (given his prior morning show popularity at HLN). 

with Jason on the 12-3 shift now, wonder what this means for the other OCMs that were rotating hosts of those hours…. Did Jason have a co-host?

1 hour ago, Jman7885 said:

I wonder if a new morning show is in the works with Bob included (given his prior morning show popularity at HLN). 

with Jason on the 12-3 shift now, wonder what this means for the other OCMs that were rotating hosts of those hours…. Did Jason have a co-host?

No co-host, just Kendall as a single-segment contributor.

Looks like Kiyana is the standard third co-host of Weather Command Mon-Wed now. I guess they could make Craig the Thu-Fri co-host of Weather Command if Michael does Mon-Fri on Fox Weather First going forward.

On 10/2/2023 at 9:08 PM, Jman7885 said:

Looks like now that we've reached Wednesday, Craig Herrera is hosting Fox Weather First. So indeed, they're keeping the Michael(Mon-Tue) and Craig(Wed-Fri) rotation that used to be on America's Weather Center.

That does lend fuel to your theory that this is not a permanent arrangement, and something new is in the works.