Fox Weather

Georgie56

41 minutes ago, Jman7885 said:

I don’t really understand why they have meteorologists staffed in Orlando…. It’s awkward when they fill-in…

It would have been slightly better if they had spent a little bit more money on the Orlando studio's lighting and audio. The standup area, by the time they were done with making improvements, turned out ok, but the sit-down area, which for some awful reason they use way more often than the standup area, is little more than a flashcam setup with iffy lighting and a really drab background. On more than one occasion, I've heard the OCM's audio in Orlando sound a bit muffled or distorted, but that might be due to the OCMs putting on their own mics incorrectly, and no audio engineer, either from NYC or Orlando, present to say anything to them about it.

With Katie gone, I'm curious if they:

A) Keep the Orlando operation with just Kelly Costa.

B) Hire a new OCM to replace Katie, bringing Orlando OCM staffing back up to two.

C) Give Kelly notice to relocate to NYC if she wants to remain part of the network.

1 hour ago, Spring Rubber said:

With Katie gone, I'm curious if they:

A) Keep the Orlando operation with just Kelly Costa.

B) Hire a new OCM to replace Katie, bringing Orlando OCM staffing back up to two.

C) Give Kelly notice to relocate to NYC if she wants to remain part of the network.

D) Hire twice more meteorologists than they do now to help support a 24/7 full-time expansion of the network plus provide meteorologists in Orlando.

E) Same as D but move the Florida-based part of the operation from Orlando to Tampa where you have a much stronger O&O and a much bigger weather team already there.

• Like 3

Fox Weather is not even covering the severe weather outbreak that's happening right now in Texas. TWC at least is staying fully live from 6pm-10pm ET, but Fox Weather isn't even running automated weather maps or breaking in to cover the severe weather. They are staying with regularly-scheduled long form. Shameful.

• 2 weeks later...

I guess unless it's a level 4 on weekends Fox Weather has gone home MO & AR had nasty storms. That is what happens with a skull ton crew don't have anyone to work when there is mini outbreak of nasty weather on the weekends.

Edited by Megatron81

10 hours ago, Megatron81 said:

I guess unless it's a level 4 on weekends Fox Weather has gone home MO & AR had nasty storms. That is what happens with a skull ton crew don't have anyone to work when there is mini outbreak of nasty weather on the weekends.

In general, for both Fox Weather and TWC, they're generally finalizing all weekend staffing and scheduling plans by Friday morning. So on Friday morning, they're looking at the SPC outlooks, and by Friday morning, they need to see:

For Saturday Coverage: Need to see a Moderate Risk with at least a 15% tornado risk for Saturday.

For Sunday Coverage: Need to see at least an Enhanced Risk with text in the SPC discussion to indicate that a tornado outbreak is likely for Sunday (since a Day 3 Moderate Risk is rare).

Sometimes they'll extend coverage for slightly lower criteria, but this seems to be the general threshold they follow. It results in a lot of general Enhanced Risk weekend threats being totally ignored.

In a different community, I coined the phrase "Weather Doesn't Happen On Weekends" in reference to TWC earlier in the 2010s to mock this bizarre phenomenon that staffing/personnel/scheduling decisions are only made up until Friday, and if the atmosphere throws a curveball in the middle of the weekend, and weather turns out to be much worse than expected, TWC simply would not cover it because the scheduling decisions are made in advance. It's a shame that Fox Weather has basically adopted this same policy as well.

I thought Steve Bender was going to return 2 weeks ago from paternity leave, I knew his time off was ending sometime soon, isn't going to get a week off until at least until the fall will get a day off or 2 sometime during the summer.

4 minutes ago, Megatron81 said:

I thought Steve Bender was going to return 2 weeks ago from paternity leave, I knew his time off was ending sometime soon, isn't going to get a week off until at least until the fall will get a day off or 2 sometime during the summer.

On the other hand, Since Stephen Morgan didn't get any time off while Bender was out, I'm thinking that Morgan is gonna take a week or two off pretty soon to recharge the batteries.

10 minutes ago, Spring Rubber said:

On the other hand, Since Stephen Morgan didn't get any time off while Bender was out, I'm thinking that Morgan is gonna take a week or two off pretty soon to recharge the batteries.

Stephen Morgan hardest worker with no days off he has earned that week or 2 off.

54 minutes ago, H-Town TV Fan said:

Fox Weather Live started very early today with Ian Oliver reporting from the studio and Brigit Mahoney reporting from Dallas to cover an upcoming severe weather event.

Oh wow, that's Brigit's first field assignment ever, IIRC. I wonder if this means they're gonna throw her out there in the raingear to report on it live tomorrow as the actual severe weather event happens.

Edited by Spring Rubber

On 4/25/2023 at 6:09 PM, Spring Rubber said:

Oh wow, that's Brigit's first field assignment ever, IIRC. I wonder if this means they're gonna throw her out there in the raingear to report on it live tomorrow as the actual severe weather event happens.

Well, they did just that today.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

For the first time ever, an O&O met has been tasked with filling in on Fox Weather.

Tom Wachs from Fox 6 Milwaukee has flown to New York, and they just announced on air that he will be filling in for Michael Estime this weekend Sat/Sun from 10am-2pm ET on Fox Weather Live.

22 hours ago, Spring Rubber said:

For the first time ever, an O&O met has been tasked with filling in on Fox Weather.

Tom Wachs from Fox 6 Milwaukee has flown to New York, and they just announced on air that he will be filling in for Michael Estime this weekend Sat/Sun from 10am-2pm ET on Fox Weather Live.

I'm surprised that they grabbed someone from Milwaukee as they could easily get any of the meteorologists from the New York-based O&O WNYW. 

20 minutes ago, NYTV said:

I'm surprised that they grabbed someone from Milwaukee as they could easily get any of the meteorologists from the New York-based O&O WNYW. 

Exposure…. Showing they have a local connection?

Edited by Jman7885

From what I've seen, WNYW has had no involvement with Fox Weather since its inception. I've never seen any of their meteorologists or reporters participate in Fox Weather in any way. WTXF in Philly is the only O&O in the northeast that has had any involvement in Fox Weather.

I'm surprised they couldn't get WNYW weather met to fill-in on the weekends or someone from Philly. Why hasn't Fox used NYC for Fox Weather aren't they in the same building? Fox use the NYC O&O from time to time.

13 hours ago, Megatron81 said:

I'm surprised they couldn't get WNYW weather met to fill-in on the weekends or someone from Philly. Why hasn't Fox used NYC for Fox Weather aren't they in the same building? Fox use the NYC O&O from time to time.

The Fox Television Center in NYC, where WNYW and WWOR-TV are based, is on the border of the Yorkville and the Upper East Side neighborhoods. 

Fox Weather is headquartered with the rest of the Fox News Channel division in the News Corp. building on Sixth Avenue, near Rockefeller Center in Midtown Manhattan.

Remember, the O&Os belong to a unit of Fox Corp. which is separate from Fox News.

Edited by Big Rollo Smokes

• 2 weeks later...

Today, Fox News chief meteorologist Rick Reichmuth worked the 10am-2pm ET shift alongside Michael Estime.

Overall, it's not clear what's happening with weekends. Ever since the start of May, Jane Minar has only appeared as a M-F fill-in, rather than on her normal Wed-Sun shift. As a result, all month long, they've been rolling with only 3 regular weekend mets. The first weekend of May, of course, is when Tom Wachs flew in to cover. The second weekend, Brigit Mahoney worked the weekend and then took the ensuing week off on vacation. And now, the third weekend, Rick Reichmuth from the Fox News side is covering.

Also, the weekday schedules after 3pm ET remain bizarre, as well. Ever since early April, they seem to follow this general rule:

- If there are a total of 5 mets available after 3pm ET, they run with the "normal" schedule:

-- 3pm ET: Fox Weather Now with Ian Oliver

-- 4pm-7pm ET: Fox Weather Across America with Brigit Mahoney and Stephen Morgan

-- 7pm-10pm ET: Fox Weather Live with Steve Bender and Marissa Torres

-If there are 4 or less mets available after 3pm ET, they run with a shortened schedule:

-- 3pm-6pm ET: Fox Weather Now with 2 mets hosting (some combo of Ian, Brigit, and Stephen, or a fill-in if needed - whoever isn't off. For all intents and purposes, this show might as well be Across America, but they use the Fox Weather Now branding, and it's hosted from the main studio instead of the former Fox Business studio, like Across America normally would be.)

-- 6pm-9pm ET: Fox Weather Live with Steve Bender and Marissa Torres

With that second setup, live programming ends one hour early. It seems very annoying to have this inconsistent of a schedule, and believe me, the latter setup has been happening a LOT lately.

As for Kelly Costa, she's been in NYC a lot more often lately. There's barely been any appearances of Kelly from Orlando as of late. Wonder if the Orlando operation is being phased out.

Why did Fox Weather get rid of Fox Weather Wild never saw it as I didn't have Fox Weather at the time when Wild was a show, or at lease make it be a once a month show for that wild weather videos from around the country and world as well. Fox Weather Wild sounded like TWC Weather Gone Viral.

I saw that Kendall was out in the field in the Windy City. 

1 hour ago, Megatron81 said:

Why did Fox Weather get rid of Fox Weather Wild never saw it as I didn't have Fox Weather at the time when Wild was a show, or at lease make it be a once a month show for that wild weather videos from around the country and world as well. Fox Weather Wild sounded like TWC Weather Gone Viral.

I saw that Kendall was out in the field in the Windy City. 

I was glad when Fox Weather Wild got canned, simply because it allowed the addition of another hour of live weather programming. I do agree that it should have been kept at least on a semi-regular basis, not as a nightly show.

It was cool to see Kendall host the show today from Chicago, not because of severe weather, but because of really nice weather.

• Like 1

It looks like there's even further work underway to integrate the Fox News weather team with the Fox Weather team. This week, Fox News weekend meteorologist Adam Klotz played the "third wheel" role on America's Weather Center Monday-Wednesday, hosting occasional segments throughout the show each day. 

And now tonight, Rick Reichmuth is hosting Fox Weather @ Night.

None of the Fox News weather team have been added to the Fox Weather personalities page on their website, but it kinda feels like that's right around the corner.

On 5/24/2023 at 10:16 PM, Spring Rubber said:

It looks like there's even further work underway to integrate the Fox News weather team with the Fox Weather team. This week, Fox News weekend meteorologist Adam Klotz played the "third wheel" role on America's Weather Center Monday-Wednesday, hosting occasional segments throughout the show each day. 

And now tonight, Rick Reichmuth is hosting Fox Weather @ Night.

None of the Fox News weather team have been added to the Fox Weather personalities page on their website, but it kinda feels like that's right around the corner.

I wonder when Janice Dean and The Weather Machine (as Shepard Smith liked to say) will finally show up on the channel.