Fox Weather

Georgie56

30 minutes ago, mightynine said:

Just saw a promo for "Weather Command" where one of the claims is they might even "debate the data". Oh boy, wonder what THAT could mean. /s

Climate change implications aside, they can’t even get the phrasing right. Data is supposed to be interpreted, not debated. “Debating the data” is like debating if 1+1=2. But my expectations for these people were never very high.

43 minutes ago, nycnewsjunkie said:

debating if 1+1=2.

I think Tucker was yammering on about this, a couple weeks back. Something about non-whole numbers being a part of the "liberal gay agenda." /s

• Haha 1

So based on the article, they're saying that Amy Freeze will be the solo host of Weather Command (implying that Ian Oliver and Britta Merwin only joined them today for the severe weather coverage).

If that's the case, then it appears that Ian Oliver and Nick Kosir have been moved off the regular weekday schedule. Assuming that means they're both moving to weekend mornings? (I think that's a perfect place for Kosir given his laid-back broadcasting style, but would disagree with moving Oliver to that role, as Ian is definitely great at handling serious severe weather that you often see during the afternoon and evening hours).

BTW, Nick Kosir is being utilized as a field "fluff" reporter today, doing segments about skiing. Again, this is for sure his "strong suit". He's way better at these types of segments compared to actual serious weather.

Some screengrabs of the new show logos. They're all sort of based off existing templates they've already had in use, with the "Fox Weather @ Night" logo just being a straight-up text swap from "America's Weather Tonight". Same intro and graphics for that show otherwise.

Weather Command kept the same music from Sky Dome, while I didn't get to hear any show music during Fox Weather Live, as they pretty much played Alert mode music during that entire show, from what I could tell.

FoxWX_20230109-8.png

FoxWX_20230109-24.png

FoxWX_20230109-26.png

Here are the new set pieces... first the two new desks...

FoxWX_20230109-20.thumb.png.20a5206bc56c3f3a8d616bc139fc7caf.png

and the new merged video walls...

FoxWX_20230109-16.thumb.png.5e7ea905237be42ca08c735c947a0e35.png

For comparison, here's how the same wall used to be laid out in the OLD version of the set...

FoxWX_20230102-47.thumb.png.f22d473599b0eea5e9eb24586a2f0b94.png

Even though the set changes are relatively minor, the way they utilize the set is totally different. They are carrying over the same ideas from the small studio K revamp of two weeks ago - that is, they have eliminated almost all stand-up-in-front-of-maps weather segments. Almost the entire day today was spent with the OCMs presenting weather maps either from seated positions at the anchor desk or from a standing position at the new Expert Desk, presenting most maps in a double box or triple box format with the OCM in one box, and the map in another box. The only stand up arrangement I saw today was using the small monitor to the side of the anchor desk, and never using any of the large screens in the studio.

FoxWX_20230109-1.thumb.png.362983d0c16ddd08c889ef02caad5313.png

The large screens in the studio (the new merged video wall plus the large curved video wall) were only used for "Hey, let's point a camera at this video wall while we show video footage on the monitors" type of camera shots. From what I could tell, the OCMs never stood up and presented at either of the two large video walls.

Edited by Spring Rubber

On 1/9/2023 at 10:07 AM, T.L. Hughes said:

This is Fox Weather’s updated weekday schedule, effective today (January 9) (per The Streamable)

* 6:00-9:00 a.m. ET: Fox Weather First - anchored by Britta Merwin and Jason Frazer

* 9:00 a.m.-12:00 noon ET: Weather Command - anchored by Amy Freeze (replaces Sky Dome)

* 12:00 noon-4:00 p.m. ET: America’s Weather Center - anchored by Kendall Smith, Craig Herrera, and Michael Estime

* 4:00-7:00 p.m. ET: Fox Weather Across America - anchored by Brigit Mahoney and Stephen Morgan

* 7:00-10:00 p.m. ET: Fox Weather Live - anchored by Marissa Torres and Steve Bender (replaces America’s Weather Now)

* 10:00 p.m.-12:00 midnight ET: Fox Weather @ Night - anchored by Kendall Smith and Stephen Morgan (replaces America’s Weather Tonight, and interestingly carrying the same title scheme as sister network Fox News’s late night commentary show Fox News @ Night)

So, one week down, and it looks like The Streamable had a little bit of an incorrect scoop. Weather Command actually does feature Ian Oliver alongside Amy Freeze five days a week (he's even featured prominently in the show's promo, so pretty confident this is permanent). I'm wondering if the original concept of the show was an Amy Freeze solo show, and they made changes to it after they gave the scoop to The Streamable.

Turns out that America's Weather Center is not a 3-host show. Michael Estime is the Mon-Wed host, and Craig Herrera is the Thu-Fri host. I assume Kendall Smith is there Mon-Fri, but this week was a bit of a mess, as Kendall only worked Monday this week and was out the whole rest of the week.

Stephen Morgan was also out the full week, but either way, I *think* we can confidently say that Stephen and Kendall will not be hosting Fox Weather @ Night together, because the show is pre-recorded during the late afternoon hours, and with them both being on separate live shifts now, there would not be a convenient timeslot where they could record the show together. They way they did things this week is that whoever hosted Across America also hosted Fox Weather @ Night. It stands to reason that they'll keep this the same going forward.

From watching today, the new weekend lineup is:

*6:00-10:00am ET: Fox Weather First Weekend - anchored by Craig Herrera and Jane Minar

*10:00am ET-2:00pm ET: Fox Weather Live - anchored by Kiyana Lewis and Michael Estime (replaces the America's Weather Weekend title)

These are the first permanent hosting roles for Jane and Michael, as they were previously floaters who would fill in on any timeslot, any day of the week. What's interesting is that both weekend male hosts have regular weekday timeslots, splitting the week on America's Weather Center; however, both weekend female hosts appear to not have a regular weekday slot, likely meaning that they will both be used as primary fill-ins during the week. I know Kiyana Lewis filled in for Stephen Morgan on Across America and Fox Weather @ Night Monday-Wednesday. (Previously, all male and female weekend hosts had regular weekday slots on Sky Dome (Lewis/Bender Mon-Tue & Freeze/Herrera Wed-Fri).

Looks like Nick Kosir is the odd man out as the only NYC-based OCM without any regularly-scheduled hosting role. During this past week, he only appeared Monday doing live hits at an indoor skiing/snowboarding park and Tuesday doing live hits at an ice skating rink, both in the NYC area. With all of the severe weather taking place this week, and with both Morgan and Smith out this week, they leaned heavily on Kiaya Lewis plus their Orlando-based team (Katie Garner and Kelly Costa) to fill in.

On Friday, the on-air staff was so depleted that Steve Bender pulled a double shift (co-hosting all of Across America and Fox Weather Live, plus solo-hosting Fox Weather @ Night), while Ian Oliver and Kelly Costa both pulled 1.5 shifts (Oliver co-hosting all of Weather Command plus the first half of America's Weather Center / Costa co-hosting the second half of America's Weather Center and all of Across America), just to get through the broadcast day. No appearance of Nick Kosir at all in the studio all week, despite the shorthandedness. Curious to see what his on-air role looks like going forward.

Edited by Spring Rubber

11 hours ago, Spring Rubber said:

So, one week down, and it looks like The Streamable had a little bit of an incorrect scoop. Weather Command actually does feature Ian Oliver alongside Amy Freeze five days a week (he's even featured prominently in the show's promo, so pretty confident this is permanent). I'm wondering if the original concept of the show was an Amy Freeze solo show, and they made changes to it after they gave the scoop to The Streamable.

Turns out that America's Weather Center is not a 3-host show. Michael Estime is the Mon-Wed host, and Craig Herrera is the Thu-Fri host. I assume Kendall Smith is there Mon-Fri, but this week was a bit of a mess, as Kendall only worked Monday this week and was out the whole rest of the week.

Stephen Morgan was also out the full week, but either way, I *think* we can confidently say that Stephen and Kendall will not be hosting Fox Weather @ Night together, because the show is pre-recorded during the late afternoon hours, and with them both being on separate live shifts now, there would not be a convenient timeslot where they could record the show together. They way they did things this week is that whoever hosted Across America also hosted Fox Weather @ Night. It stands to reason that they'll keep this the same going forward.

From watching today, the new weekend lineup is:

*6:00-10:00am ET: Fox Weather First Weekend - anchored by Craig Herrera and Jane Minar

*10:00am ET-2:00pm ET: Fox Weather Live - anchored by Kiyana Lewis and Michael Estime (replaces the America's Weather Weekend title)

These are the first permanent hosting roles for Jane and Michael, as they were previously floaters who would fill in on any timeslot, any day of the week. What's interesting is that both weekend male hosts have regular weekday timeslots, splitting the week on America's Weather Center; however, both weekend female hosts appear to not have a regular weekday slot, likely meaning that they will both be used as primary fill-ins during the week. I know Kiyana Lewis filled in for Stephen Morgan on Across America and Fox Weather @ Night Monday-Wednesday. (Previously, all male and female weekend hosts had regular weekday slots on Sky Dome (Lewis/Bender Mon-Tue & Freeze/Herrera Wed-Fri).

Looks like Nick Kosir is the odd man out as the only NYC-based OCM without any regularly-scheduled hosting role. During this past week, he only appeared Monday doing live hits at an indoor skiing/snowboarding park and Tuesday doing live hits at an ice skating rink, both in the NYC area. With all of the severe weather taking place this week, and with both Morgan and Smith out this week, they leaned heavily on Kiaya Lewis plus their Orlando-based team (Katie Garner and Kelly Costa) to fill in.

On Friday, the on-air staff was so depleted that Steve Bender pulled a double shift (co-hosting all of Across America and Fox Weather Live, plus solo-hosting Fox Weather @ Night), while Ian Oliver and Kelly Costa both pulled 1.5 shifts (Oliver co-hosting all of Weather Command plus the first half of America's Weather Center / Costa co-hosting the second half of America's Weather Center and all of Across America), just to get through the broadcast day. No appearance of Nick Kosir at all in the studio all week, despite the shorthandedness. Curious to see what his on-air role looks like going forward.

I thought Jane had a significant part in the weekday edition of FOX Weather First (and Sunrise beforehand).

1 hour ago, TheRolyPoly said:

I thought Jane had a significant part in the weekday edition of FOX Weather First (and Sunrise beforehand).

She was technically a third OCM on that show to some extent, but she got rotated off that show constantly to fill in on literally every other show throughout the day, to the extent that her appearances on First/Sunrise were becoming quite scarce, except for cases where Jason or Britta themselves were off, in which case she would be their primary fill-in.

• 3 weeks later...

As for Nick Kosir, yeah, they've moved him entirely into the "fun segments" type of role, both in studio and out in the field. They've given his segments titles like "Kosir's Korner", "Nick's Clicks", and "In the Nick of Time". His segments have ranged from field reports on skiing and surfing, to man-on-the-street interviews, to game show host, and today, reporting live for Groundhog Day with Staten Island Chuck. To date, since the January 9th schedule change, they have not used him as a fill-in OCM, either. They've used him exclusively for "fun" segments.

FoxWX_20230116-24.png

FoxWX_20230127-10.png

FoxWX_20230130-3.png

FoxWX_20230202-2.png

Edited by Spring Rubber
  • Like 1

Spectrum added Fox Weather first of the year on channel 689 in Kazoo. Fox Weather is on par and even better than The Weather Channel in my opinion, the website should have more info with cities across America than just hour by hour in front of the homepage. I guess they want you to download the Fox Weather APP for more of the info Weather .com & ACCUWeather websites much better for the info, sees that Fox Weather's website is more articles on weather than anything else.

I wish that Fox Weather would add the local cities now that they are on a few Pay TV companies like in Michigan GR, BC, Kazoo etc. Great job on the updates Spring Rubber.

As things keep evolving at Fox Weather, they seem to be experimenting with giving Ian Oliver his own afternoon shift. This started about 2-3 weeks ago when they were having him add on an extra afternoon shift for severe weather coverage, only on the days that merited extended coverage. However, as of last week, it now appears to be a regular thing, as he now hosts the 3pm-4pm ET hour of America's Weather Center apparently every weekday.

Seems like they're still working on the format; last week, they were pairing him with either Kendall Smith, Michael Estime, or Craig Herrera from the 12pm-3pm show. Now this week, he's doing a largely solo-hosted show anchored entirely from the expert desk, along with Kelly Costa from Orlando contributing about 2-3 segments during the hour.

While this is going on, he remains on Weather Command every weekday 9am-12pm ET, and they appear to be trying to increase his billing as an "Expert" on that show as well, as within the past week or so, they also added a segment billed "Expert Desk" featuring Ian breaking down the day's weather events from the Expert Desk.

It's unclear how the schedule will eventually shake out, and if he'll continue doing this split shift 9am-12pm and 3pm-4pm every single weekday, but it appears that they're definitely trying to increase Ian's stock on the network in a big way.

• Confused 1

Welp, that didn't take long at all. The new show Fox Weather Now with Ian Oliver debuted at 3pm ET today. Unsurprisingly, based on the show's title, they revived the graphics and music that were dumped 5 weeks ago when America's Weather Now was removed from the schedule, just with an updated logo.

FoxWX_20230213-10.thumb.png.ecdfe7d0ab8d24b341e46fad67905336.png

FoxWX_20230213-13.thumb.png.ca513e217877c8021983d18cf60a0a96.png

And because the show is probably built upon the same profile in their system, a couple of accidental America's Weather Now lower thirds slipped in here and there.

FoxWX_20230213-11.thumb.png.4afcca73d18a4841cab08851e3da27c5.png

Edited by Spring Rubber

• 2 weeks later...

I think that when Fox Weather when there is a weekend outbreak of server weather should have co-anchors not someone doing solo which Kendall Smith did last Sun & late Thur/early Fri couldn't they have gotten Kelly or Katie from Orlando to be Kendall's co-anchor? Kendall did a great job doing it for 6 hours with some breaks in between that is why they should have a co-anchor for those types of events in my opinion.

16 hours ago, Megatron81 said:

I think that when Fox Weather when there is a weekend outbreak of server weather should have co-anchors not someone doing solo which Kendall Smith did last Sun & late Thur/early Fri couldn't they have gotten Kelly or Katie from Orlando to be Kendall's co-anchor? Kendall did a great job doing it for 6 hours with some breaks in between that is why they should have a co-anchor for those types of events in my opinion.

Thank you for bringing this up. I meant to post about it but forgot. Kendall was on solo all night Sunday 2/26 from somewhere around 6pm ET until Midnight ET. From about 6pm-7:30pm ET, they were having her do about 10 minutes live, followed by 20 minutes of automated weather maps, rinse and repeat.

Then shortly after 7:30pm ET, the severe outbreak intensified to the point that they could no longer stay in automation, so Kendall had to be fully live for the rest of the night until Midnight ET, at which point, they went over to Katie Garner in Orlando mixed in with automated weather maps again.

I also couldn't believe that they couldn't get anyone else in there to give Kendall a break for all those hours.

I'm glad they did stay fully live at the height of the outbreak, though. When I saw how much automated weather maps were being mixed in early on, I was concerned that they were going to completely drop the bomb on coverage.

• Like 1

What I forgot to mention earlier was the extremely poor handling of the severe weather outbreak on Wednesday night 3/1 last week. While the Thursday 3/2 severe weather coverage was stellar, with round-the-clock coverage all through the overnight hours into Friday, their Wednesday night into Thursday morning coverage was...well...completely absent.

The risk level on Wednesday night was 10% sig severe tornado, 30% damaging wind, 30% sig severe hail, yet they still ended live programming at 10pm ET, and they didn't even have a meteorologist there to break in live when needed after that point. It was like they threw all their eggs into the Thursday night basket (which again, was great continuous live coverage, btw), and simply didn't have the resources to put even a single meteorologist on the Wednesday night shift.

KMSP has been doing “Weather First” segments at the start of evening newscasts lately. For those of you who have Fox O&Os on your markets, have you been seeing similar? Could help answer… 

a) if this is response to other stations Weather branding (WCCO Next Weather, for example),

b) response to KSTP doing “Forecast First” at the start of their newscasts (and possibly having success if KMSP is copying),

c) both a & b,

d) neither. It’s a coincidence. 

1D115BD0-D388-40BA-AB49-D8665A190426.jpeg

4 hours ago, GodfreyGR said:

b) response to KSTP doing “Forecast First” at the start of their newscasts (and possibly having success if KMSP is copying),

Most likely that. That sounds like a "the competition is doing this, therefore we must do it too" directive from somebody locally. That graphic also looks like a rush job from the hub which is typical of station-specific requests. This is not a thing on other O&Os nor would I expect it to become a thing. 

• Like 2

20 hours ago, GodfreyGR said:

KMSP has been doing “Weather First” segments at the start of evening newscasts lately. For those of you who have Fox O&Os on your markets, have you been seeing similar? Could help answer… 

a) if this is response to other stations Weather branding (WCCO Next Weather, for example),

c) both a & b,

d) neither. It’s a coincidence. 

1D115BD0-D388-40BA-AB49-D8665A190426.jpeg

Last time I streamed multiple KSTP newscasts in the same day (which was during the George Floyd protests), they were only doing “Forecast First” segments during 5 Eyewitness News Nightcast. When did it expand the segments to other newscasts?

17 minutes ago, GodfreyGR said:

Last fall. 11, 12, 4:30, 5, 6, 6:30, 9, and 10.

Ironic that they weren’t added to the KSTP and KSTC editions of Eyewitness News Morning as well, where having weather segments at the top of each half-hour would be most useful.

Edited by T.L. Hughes

3 hours ago, T.L. Hughes said:

Ironic that they weren’t added to the KSTP and KSTC editions of Eyewitness News Morning as well, where having weather segments at the top of each half-hour would be most useful.

Maybe because they already do weather at the top of every hour or half-hour without branding it as such.

Another question off-topic from that... when will FOX Weather finally start allowing its O&Os or affiliates who carry FOX Weather on a subchannel to finally start providing local weather updates on there?

52 minutes ago, TheRolyPoly said:

Another question off-topic from that... when will FOX Weather finally start allowing its O&Os or affiliates who carry FOX Weather on a subchannel to finally start providing local weather updates on there?

I’m not sure why Fox Weather doesn’t provide local weather segments myself; though, they’d have to make the national automated forecast segments that are run periodically during weekend afternoon and evening programming (as well as during overnight and weekend severe weather coverage, unless there’s a high-impact event worthy of full coverage) a regular part of the schedule to even be able to allow pre-taped local segments produced by each O&O to be inserted over the national feed.

As an aside, The Weather Channel doesn’t run localized LOT8s segments or Lower Display Line data on vMVPD providers, even though YouTube TV, Sling, Frndly and FuboTV all offer its sister service, Local Now (which distributes all of its 200+ localized feeds on those platforms, with the feed available to a subscriber being determined by their ZIP Code). I’m surprised TWC, at least, hasn’t developed technology to insert local weather information over the national feed on its vMVPD carriers, such as a version of its IntelliStar or Local Now-style feeds for each DMA. (I receive TWC and Fox Weather via YTTV, and actually suggested such an idea to TWC in an email a few months back.) Either FWX or TWC should look into developing some method of inserting localized weather data on vMVPDs as well as, in Fox Weather’s case, AVOD streamers (i.e., Tubi, Xumo, Roku Channel).

Edited by T.L. Hughes

As was briefly mentioned previously in this thread, it used to be the case that from Fox Weather's inception in October 2021 until November 2022, they did those "Across America" pre-taped segments near the top and bottom of every hour, featuring four O&O mets giving the general regional forecast for their specific region. Those segments were taped by the O&Os twice each weekday, morning and evening, and once each weekend for the mornings. After early November 2022, this segment was so scaled back that one could argue that it was virtually eliminated. When the "Across America" segment does run now, it only features a single O&O met talking about one specific region, and it doesn't even seem to run every day. They run it maybe once or twice a week for 30 seconds.

Aside from that, we really only see the O&O mets on Fox Weather when they're out field reporting on a big event, whether it be Tom Wachs or Ian Leonard when big snows came to Milwaukee or Minneapolis, respectively, or Sue Serio reporting on the pre-Super Bowl Eagles hype.

As far as the discontinuing of the original version of the regional "Across America" segments back in November, I have to wonder if it was the O&Os that complained about having to produce these pre-recorded hits twice a day, or if it was a corporate decision where the folks in New York didn't see the value of the segment. If it was pushback from the O&Os, then I would wonder if there would be issues with getting them to participate in any other type of localized forecasts. Heck, even when "Across America" was fully-fledged on Fox Weather, there were only like 10 O&Os that participated, with WTXF in Philly being the only one in the northeast that would participate. In the southeast, only the two Florida O&Os participated.