Fox Weather

Georgie56

11 hours ago, PhillyWatch said:

I’m curious as to what exactly the closed captioning is picking up tonight on Night Light (YouTube TV blacks out the picture when taking screenshots or screen recordings) 

CC616AC0-EFE2-49F7-97BA-7475352214D1.jpeg

0C32E115-F489-4721-8E12-3B54BDD4BE66.jpeg

What the heck... I'm wondering if the music tracks they're using would have ever had some sort of lyrics with embedded closed captions? Perhaps lyrics were removed, but captions were not?

Fox Weather started the hour with a pre-recorded long-form ish report, and then they went into automated weather maps. I assume something's wrong with the control room or studio for Across America, preventing them from going on the air. The automation that's airing is the same layout as the 11pm-1am ET automation with the big show advertisement banners in the lower third space, but it's using the standard daytime music playlist as opposed to the new music that they are currently using overnight.

EDIT: Looks like it was a studio issue. They just hit the air live at 4:17pm EDT using the backup Studio K for the show. They started the show with the top-of-the-hour opener and tease, so they're throwing out the scheduled layout for the hour to make sure to get the important A-block content in there right now.

FoxWX_20220407-4.png

Edited by Spring Rubber

Really crazy lineup at Fox Weather today with Britta Merwin, Nick Kosir, and Marissa Torres all off.

Katie Garner flew back to NYC to fill in for Britta this morning. Danielle Gersh flew in from LA to make her first appearance in forever, filling in for Marissa Torres.

As for Nick's shift, they moved every other male OCM's shift down. John Marshall came in on his normal day off to fill in for Stephen Morgan on America's Weather Center. Stephen Morgan filled in for Ian Oliver on Across America, and then Ian Oliver filled in for Nick Kosir on America's Weather Now.

When 10pm EDT rolled around, they continued special coverage with Ian and Danielle in a control-room-produced show for about 25 minutes. At around 10:25pm EDT, they went into automation, with Ian Oliver doing break-ins periodically to update on tornado warnings. As of this hour, Ian is still handling the break-ins, marking his 5th hour on the air. But they're not following their previous policy from a few weeks ago, which was to stay live with nonstop break-in coverage as long as there's tornado warnings active. The break-ins are rather infrequent tonight.

On the other hand, TWC is staying fully live until 12am EDT. I guess TWC is edging out Fox Weather with their coverage tonight. But let's be honest, TWC would not have stayed live for a 10% hatched tornado risk a year ago at this time. It always would take a 15% hatched risk to keep TWC live for the past couple of years. So if there's one positive thing to make of this, it's that the competition from Fox Weather is forcing TWC to stay live and cover severe weather more than they've covered it in a long time.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Spring Rubber said:

Really crazy lineup at Fox Weather today with Britta Merwin, Nick Kosir, and Marissa Torres all off.

Katie Garner flew back to NYC to fill in for Britta this morning. Danielle Gersh flew in from LA to make her first appearance in forever, filling in for Marissa Torres.

As for Nick's shift, they moved every other male OCM's shift down. John Marshall came in on his normal day off to fill in for Stephen Morgan on America's Weather Center. Stephen Morgan filled in for Ian Oliver on Across America, and then Ian Oliver filled in for Nick Kosir on America's Weather Now.

When 10pm EDT rolled around, they continued special coverage with Ian and Danielle in a control-room-produced show for about 25 minutes. At around 10:25pm EDT, they went into automation, with Ian Oliver doing break-ins periodically to update on tornado warnings. As of this hour, Ian is still handling the break-ins, marking his 5th hour on the air. But they're not following their previous policy from a few weeks ago, which was to stay live with nonstop break-in coverage as long as there's tornado warnings active. The break-ins are rather infrequent tonight.

On the other hand, TWC is staying fully live until 12am EDT. I guess TWC is edging out Fox Weather with their coverage tonight. But let's be honest, TWC would not have stayed live for a 10% hatched tornado risk a year ago at this time. It always would take a 15% hatched risk to keep TWC live for the past couple of years. So if there's one positive thing to make of this, it's that the competition from Fox Weather is forcing TWC to stay live and cover severe weather more than they've covered it in a long time.

There had been times in the past even a 30% (high) risk wouldn't keep TWC live.

With the severe weather tonight, Fox Weather squeaked out two extra hours of control room-produced coverage, ending at 12am ET. To facilitate this, they split up the OCM shifts during the evening hours and shifted the morning/afternoon programming later. The male OCMs returned to their normal shifts today, as Marissa Torres returned today, allowing Danielle Gersh to pair with her tonight.

They made Sky Dome a 4-hour show, ending an hour later at 2pm ET.

They had America's Weather Center run from 2pm-5pm ET, an hour later start and hour later end than normal.

After that, they had Ian Oliver and Brigit Mahoney do 5pm-7pm ET

Then Marissa Torres and Danielle Gersh 7pm-9pm ET

Then back to Ian Oliver and Brigit Mahoney 9pm-11pm ET

And wrapped up with Marissa Torres and Danielle Gersh 11pm-12am ET.

Then they handed it off to Kelly Costa doing non-control-room-produced coverage solo from Orlando starting at 12am ET. They are mixing in automation from time to time to give her a break, but it's mostly all live coverage.

For whatever reason, Craig Herrera, hosting from home, joined Ian and Brigit on the 5pm-7pm ET shift. I don't really get the point of that, especially on what's supposed to be a scheduled day off for him. Maybe they deemed it necessary to add a third host to help give Ian and Brigit a little bit of a break during that timeslot.

The Fox Weather storm chase truck is out in the field today and live on the air. It's in the Cincinnati area, not quite the epicenter of today's outbreak. I'm guessing this was simply as far west as they were able to get overnight after the NYC debut event yesterday. I wonder if they'll keep trying to head a bit south into KY/TN to get a little closer to the highest severe risk area.

Well, it will be interesting to see how they utilize the truck during May when severe Weather starts happening more.    But at what point do these vehicles become too much of a distraction from actually Forecasting and watching severe weather??

1 hour ago, DENDude said:

Well, it will be interesting to see how they utilize the truck during May when severe Weather starts happening more.    But at what point do these vehicles become too much of a distraction from actually Forecasting and watching severe weather??

That's the thing. I think they're supposed to be a distraction because spectacle costs less money than expertise.

One thing that amazes me is that Fox Weather still has this problem where they don't change the script in the prompter at the end of the final hour of most shows. At the end of Sky Dome today, for example, the OCMs said, "Stick around, we have another hour of Sky Dome still to come, but first here's a look at your Fox Weather Across America."

This is not a one-off issue. I've noticed this happening on multiple shows, and it seems to happen multiple times every week. It's been happening since day 1 that the network started. Pretty much every other network that does multi-hour shows has a standard routine to always change the text in the prompter during the final hour to have their anchors say goodbye and often to mention which show is coming up next. This should be in their daily checklist when writing the prompter script. It's gotta be awkward for the OCMs, who no doubt know that their shift is ending, to read the prompter and talk about how they will be right back with another hour of their own show, when it's simply not the case.

15 minutes ago, Spring Rubber said:

One thing that amazes me is that Fox Weather still has this problem where they don't change the script in the prompter at the end of the final hour of most shows. At the end of Sky Dome today, for example, the OCMs said, "Stick around, we have another hour of Sky Dome still to come, but first here's a look at your Fox Weather Across America."

This is not a one-off issue. I've noticed this happening on multiple shows, and it seems to happen multiple times every week. It's been happening since day 1 that the network started. Pretty much every other network that does multi-hour shows has a standard routine to always change the text in the prompter during the final hour to have their anchors say goodbye and often to mention which show is coming up next. This should be in their daily checklist when writing the prompter script. It's gotta be awkward for the OCMs, who no doubt know that their shift is ending, to read the prompter and talk about how they will be right back with another hour of their own show, when it's simply not the case.

This is most noticeable during America's Weather Now. I noticed they'll just repeat the 8pm ET hour of the show at 9pm ET, passing it off as "live".

Edited by Georgie56

10 minutes ago, Georgie56 said:

This is most noticeable during America's Weather Now. I noticed they'll just repeat the 8pm ET hour of the show at 9pm ET, passing it off as "live".

Oh dang, are they doing this every night where there's not severe weather? If that's the case, then so much for adding the 9pm ET hour to their schedule. If they're gonna send everyone home early, then might as well just start Fox Weather Wild reruns at 9pm ET like they were doing during the first few months of the network.

KRIV Fox 26 Houston joined the Across America segments (I think for the first time ever?) today.

So at this point, the Midwest region is way overrepresented on Across America, being represented by Houston, Dallas, Austin, Milwaukee, and Minneapolis. The west has two stations: Phoenix and Seattle; the southeast also has two: Orlando and Tampa; meanwhile, the northeast still only has one station participating in the region: Philadelphia.

The fact that not every Fox O&O participates makes me think that station management has a say in the matter. Apparently the big three in NYC, LA, and Chicago simply won't get involved in it. I still think it's crazy that on weekends, the northeast region simply isn't even included in the segment because WTXF won't record hits for the segment on weekends. They only participate on weekdays. Outside of NYC and Philly, I think D.C. is the only other O&O they have in the northeast, and I guess they won't have any part in the segment, either.

At this point, maybe have one of the many midwest participating O&Os cover the northeast on weekends and make a casual reference like, "Boy, our friends up at Fox 29 Philly are really loving the weather out there today!" or something like that? lol

Also, effective these past two weeks, there has been a change with the timing of when the Across America segments are recorded. Since day one of Fox Weather until early April, the morning segments from from WTXF and WTVT would typically feature each station's morning meteorologists,  Sue Serio and Dave Osterberg, respectively. Now the morning segments are pre-recorded by the evening meteorologists Kathy Orr from WTXF and Paul Dellegato of WTVT on the night beforehand, while the morning meteorologists now record their segments in the morning, but not to be aired until the evening after 5pm ET. From what I can tell, the other stations in the midwest and west region have always done this, so this is falling in line with that trend. I'm guessing the morning meteorologists probably had to record the segments super early like 4am so that the Fox Weather editors could edit the segment together for air, and it was probably frustrating for either the mets, the editors, or both, to be on such a tight timetable. The new way is probably better for everyone's sanity.

• Sad 1

On 4/15/2022 at 11:34 PM, Spring Rubber said:

KRIV Fox 26 Houston joined the Across America segments (I think for the first time ever?) today.

So at this point, the Midwest region is way overrepresented on Across America, being represented by Houston, Dallas, Austin, Milwaukee, and Minneapolis. The west has two stations: Phoenix and Seattle; the southeast also has two: Orlando and Tampa; meanwhile, the northeast still only has one station participating in the region: Philadelphia.

The fact that not every Fox O&O participates makes me think that station management has a say in the matter. Apparently the big three in NYC, LA, and Chicago simply won't get involved in it. I still think it's crazy that on weekends, the northeast region simply isn't even included in the segment because WTXF won't record hits for the segment on weekends. They only participate on weekdays. Outside of NYC and Philly, I think D.C. is the only other O&O they have in the northeast, and I guess they won't have any part in the segment, either.

At this point, maybe have one of the many midwest participating O&Os cover the northeast on weekends and make a casual reference like, "Boy, our friends up at Fox 29 Philly are really loving the weather out there today!" or something like that? lol

Also, effective these past two weeks, there has been a change with the timing of when the Across America segments are recorded. Since day one of Fox Weather until early April, the morning segments from from WTXF and WTVT would typically feature each station's morning meteorologists,  Sue Serio and Dave Osterberg, respectively. Now the morning segments are pre-recorded by the evening meteorologists Kathy Orr from WTXF and Paul Dellegato of WTVT on the night beforehand, while the morning meteorologists now record their segments in the morning, but not to be aired until the evening after 5pm ET. From what I can tell, the other stations in the midwest and west region have always done this, so this is falling in line with that trend. I'm guessing the morning meteorologists probably had to record the segments super early like 4am so that the Fox Weather editors could edit the segment together for air, and it was probably frustrating for either the mets, the editors, or both, to be on such a tight timetable. The new way is probably better for everyone's sanity.

KRIV has been doing the Across America segments for a while now.

I guess Steve Bender is permanent on the Monday/Tuesday editions of Sky Dome. This is now three weeks in a row where he's been alongside Kiyana Lewis. The last two weeks, he also covered Wednesday-Friday for a number of other OCMs, like Craig Herrera on late-week Sky Dome and also for Britta Merwin on Sunrise on one of the Fridays that she was out. Seems like he's switching from being a field reporter first and foremost to now being an in-studio OCM first and foremost, and then field duties as needed.

Sky Dome was split-hosted by Craig Herrera in NYC Studio W and Katie Garner in Orlando today, as Amy Freeze had the day off.

America's Weather Center is in the main Studio W instead of the small Studio K today. Oddly, the lighting on the LED strips in the studio is the same light red color that's used on Sky Dome, rather than the blue color that was used for America's Weather Center when it used to call Studio W its main home. 

The control room wasn't ready for the fact that in Studio W, Kendall and Stephen sit in opposite positions than they do in Studio K.

FoxWX_20220421-1.png

Edited by Spring Rubber

• 2 weeks later...

Fox Weather made an interesting decision on a Moderate Risk day to replace the 1PM ET hour today with a pre-recorded Fox Weather Reports long-form show about the 5/4/2007 Greensburg, KS EF5 Tornado. Greensburg, KS is the hometown of Kendall Smith's family, and much of the show was spent talking with her relatives there, recounting the events and the aftermath of that tornado.

I'm assuming they have had this long form hour planned to air today for quite some time, and because the severe weather hadn't yet started as of the 1PM ET hour, they made the decision to run with the hour-long show anyway. America's Weather Center started at 2PM ET and will end an hour later at 5PM ET. I guess this will give them the benefit of running all of the shifts one hour later tonight to cover the severe weather, which will be most prominent in the evening hours.