Fox Weather

Georgie56

• 2 weeks later...

They're probably just testing the waters with it for now. If it does well, maybe they expand it later. No reason to go all-in right away, especially since FBN airs actual business programming from 10am-noon on Saturday and 9am-noon on Sunday.

Sure, they cold move those blocks if they wanted to but you don't want to alienate your core viewers interested in financial discussion without knowing if people will watch the weather programming.

3 hours ago, Spring Rubber said:

Did the show get renamed to "America's Weather Weekend" with this change? To date, hasn't their morning shift simply used the same titles as the weekday morning shows?

Well, it's going to be. I guess throughout the duration of simulcast test-run; if not successful, they might just revert back to Sunrise.

Well, FBN is using its own bug on the simulcast, naturally. The program bar on the screen flips between the horizontal FWX logo and "America's Weather Weekend" (I assume it'll remain static on the latter when the rest of the show goes exclusive to FWX at 8am ET).

Because it looks like the commercial breaks are being run according to cable standards (more frequent and longer breaks compared to the streaming platform), on the web stream, they're having to air live camera shots at the end of the breaks, similar to the live camera shots like you'd typically see during the automated afternoon hours to fill the time before the live broadcast resumes.

1 hour ago, PhillyWatch said:

I caught FWX airing a report today from Scripps’ KSTU. Good to see them working with a non-O&O to procure content, and it makes me wonder if the FWX OTA launch will include some non-O&O’s out of the gate as well

They aired a piece from KHON a few days prior. Won’t be surprised if Fox inked deals with Nexstar and Scripps to launch FWX on their Fox stations.

Curious if any stations in the Midwest are carrying the FWX feed as severe weather rolls through tonight. I know local weather teams are likely to be at the ready, but I believe I read here that KCPQ took the FWX feed during severe weather recently before local coverage began

Fox Weather is understandably on an alternate schedule in order to provide full coverage for this tornado outbreak. Nick Kosir and Marissa Torres did the 5pm-9pm ET block. Looks like Steve Bender and Brigit Mahoney did the 9pm-10pm block, and now I'm surprised to see that Nick and Marissa are back for the 10pm hour. I'm guessing surely this must be their last hour before handing it off to a different team, right?

Edit: Brigit is still on during this 10pm ET hour in the "Weather Command" area.

Edit 2: Steve Bender and Jane Minar took over a few minutes early at 10:55pm ET.

Edited by Spring Rubber

Fox Weather is going to cover it live all night long with minimal commercial interruption. Meanwhile, TWC went to long form at Midnight ET and said that they will only occasionally break in with updates for the rest of the night.

During a weather crisis, kudos to Fox Weather for sticking with this. Shame on TWC for ignoring a deadly emergency because it's not affecting the northeast.

• Like 4

20 minutes ago, Spring Rubber said:

Fox Weather is going to cover it live all night long with minimal commercial interruption. Meanwhile, TWC went to long form at Midnight ET and said that they will only occasionally break in with updates for the rest of the night.

During a weather crisis, kudos to Fox Weather for sticking with this. Shame on TWC for ignoring a deadly emergency because it's not affecting the northeast.

Fox Weather passed a big test that TWC has failed. Maybe if WeatherNation had a big yet responsible owner they could compete responsibly too.

28 minutes ago, GoldenShine9 said:

Fox Weather passed a big test that TWC has failed. Maybe if WeatherNation had a big yet responsible owner they could compete responsibly too.

Now they just need to work on their distribution.  For a Roku user, the only way to really watch it is to seek it out on the Fox-owned Tubi app.  But yes, they are doing a great job covering the storm as TWC (and pretty much all of the other national news networks) have dropped the ball on this severe weather event.

Edited by tyrannical bastard
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, tyrannical bastard said:

Now they just need to work on their distribution.  For a Roku user, the only way to really watch it is to seek it out on the Fox-owned Tubi app.  But yes, they are doing a great job covering the storm as TWC (and pretty much all of the other national news networks) have dropped the ball on this severe weather event.

I kind of wish a big local owner like Nexstar or Gray owned WeatherNation since they could use the local stations as someone to work through for national coverage. Local stations have been on the ball tonight.

• Like 3

John Marshall and Amy Freeze took over coverage at 4:56am ET. It seems that because they already have a naturally-long shift until 12pm ET, they basically woke up and came straight to work and went on air an hour earlier than normal with no time to prep. John Marshall admitted on air that he did not have a chance to see the horrific Mayfield, KY video until they showed it on air. He watched in horror at what he was seeing as the control room played back the video. He seemed to not be aware that there were deaths in Kentucky until they told him over his IFB.

It's a hard situation to be in when the network doesn't have enough staff on standby to make everyone's shifts a bit shorter, but still way better than TWC, which has still only been providing very short 45-second updates at :00 and :30 of every hour while failing to cover the storms the rest of the time.

Edit: After KY Governor Beshear's speech ended at 5:10am ET, Jane Minar picked up the coverage from the solo update podium in the other studio. She thanked viewers for staying with Fox Weather and informed viewers that live coverage will resume soon. They put the stream into an automated series of maps customized for the severe weather event, showing automated live radar/watches/warnings. There is no audio whatsoever, presumably because the normal music used in automation is way too cheery, and they don't have anything more appropriate readily available.

I think the production team realized that having John and Amy in the building was no help if they haven't even had a chance to be briefed on what's going on, especially since they have to go live on Fox Business in less than 50 minutes. I'm going to guess that they called an immediate production meeting so that they can get up to speed on everything and go live on Fox Business at the top of the hour much more prepared. I don't blame them.

Edited by Spring Rubber
  • Like 1

Granted they have the full force of FOX News behind them in terms of production and news gathering, but with regards to weather- so does The Weather Channel (with a nearly 40-year head start!), and FWX absolutely put them to shame with this coverage overnight. 

• Like 2

• Georgie56 changed the title to Fox Weather