Fox Weather

Georgie56

So Night Light is still on the air at 1am ET on weekends, and to my surprise, they are still doing live weather updates at :15 and :45, tonight hosted by Kendall Smith.

One thing I've observed tonight and earlier today with Stephen Morgan is that these weather updates are being controlled by the meteorologist with no involvement of a control room. The meteorologist has a touchscreen on their podium where they press buttons to go live, to put up lower thirds, to take the maps full screen, and to send the stream back into the automated programming. I guess it's similar to what local station meteorologists do when they go live with severe weather updates, just with slightly more advanced capabilities.

That also explains why when they were going live Thursday afternoon with tornado warning updates, the lower thirds for "Fox Weather Alert" were not animated. I guess they were running on this more basic production platform that's being run by the on-camera meteorologist.

Now, does it make sense to be doing these live updates overnight when there's not really anything going on? Probably not. The weather geek in me and fan of TWC's old 24/7 format still appreciates it, but I can't imagine that it makes sense to have an on-air personality there for 6 hours overnight just to go live for one minute every half half hour, then sit around until their next 1-minute segment in the next half hour. Seems like a scenario where you would either want the meteorologist to have longer live segments in order to do a fully-fleshed-out forecast, or simply ditch the overnight meteorologist all together unless severe weather merits having someone on standby. Especially when they're in a position where they have to enter into automation on weekday afternoons due to lack of staffing, it seems weird to be burning on-air staff on the overnights.

6 hours ago, Spring Rubber said:

So Night Light is still on the air at 1am ET on weekends, and to my surprise, they are still doing live weather updates at :15 and :45, tonight hosted by Kendall Smith.

One thing I've observed tonight and earlier today with Stephen Morgan is that these weather updates are being controlled by the meteorologist with no involvement of a control room. The meteorologist has a touchscreen on their podium where they press buttons to go live, to put up lower thirds, to take the maps full screen, and to send the stream back into the automated programming. I guess it's similar to what local station meteorologists do when they go live with severe weather updates, just with slightly more advanced capabilities.

That also explains why when they were going live Thursday afternoon with tornado warning updates, the lower thirds for "Fox Weather Alert" were not animated. I guess they were running on this more basic production platform that's being run by the on-camera meteorologist.

Now, does it make sense to be doing these live updates overnight when there's not really anything going on? Probably not. The weather geek in me and fan of TWC's old 24/7 format still appreciates it, but I can't imagine that it makes sense to have an on-air personality there for 6 hours overnight just to go live for one minute every half half hour, then sit around until their next 1-minute segment in the next half hour. Seems like a scenario where you would either want the meteorologist to have longer live segments in order to do a fully-fleshed-out forecast, or simply ditch the overnight meteorologist all together unless severe weather merits having someone on standby. Especially when they're in a position where they have to enter into automation on weekday afternoons due to lack of staffing, it seems weird to be burning on-air staff on the overnights.

Night Light actually started at 11pm ET last night.

3 hours ago, Georgie56 said:

Night Light actually started at 11pm ET last night.

Oh, weird. I think I tuned in during the 12pm ET hour and saw FWW playing. Were they doing the thing there they were interspersing a couple hours of FWW during the nighttime hours? Because I also saw FWW at 3am ET, then Night Light again at 4am ET.

Danielle Gersh is today's afternoon update meteorologist. Her update segment right now has been a bit longer - a bit closer to 2 minutes instead of 1 minute, which is nice.

Obviously, she's one of their main weeknight meteorologists, so that does make me think that the people who appear on these weekend updates might still be doing their regular 5-day weekday shifts. Guess we'll find out this upcoming week. 

Edited by Spring Rubber

2 hours ago, Georgie56 said:

Appears Jason Frazer and Britta Merwin are no longer anchoring all three hours of Sky Dome. Stephen Morgan and Kendall Smith took over the 10am ET hour of the show.

Ok, that makes a little more sense as far as splitting up time shifts somewhat more equally. I wonder if that pair will anchor any other shows later today. They're still doing automated weather maps/skyline views as of 12pm ET. I think they also eliminated the :15 and :45 live updates during these hours. I didn't see one at 12:15pm ET.

EDIT: A live update aired at 12:45pm ET with Kendall Smith.

Edited by Spring Rubber

Looks like the bios page on Fox Weather's site is incomplete. Marissa Torres is currently filling in for Danielle Gersh, but Marissa doesn't have a bio on the site. Found this when I Googled her name:

https://www.mediamoves.com/2021/10/fox-weather-adds-marissa-torres-ahead-of-launch.html

Wonder if they have any other on-air personalities that we don't know about...

6 minutes ago, Georgie56 said:

Danielle Gersh said on Wednesday she is no longer co-hosting Fox Weather Wild after that day’s edition. Marissa Torres is her replacement.

Woah, that comes as a shock...to have a host change only 8 days into the program. Did Danielle allude to continuing at Fox Weather in a different role, or are we kind of not sure right now?

16 minutes ago, Spring Rubber said:

Woah, that comes as a shock...to have a host change only 8 days into the program. Did Danielle allude to continuing at Fox Weather in a different role, or are we kind of not sure right now?

She said she’d continue at Fox Weather in a new role TBD.

Looks like they don't have a long-form program for the 8pm ET hour tonight. They're airing the automated maps from Night Light but with the music that's used during automated America's Weather Center. The program itself is unbranded without anything except the Fox Weather bug on the screen.

Oh, and the sun is still realistically up on the west coast as it should be.

1585840069_Screenshot_20211106-1918012.thumb.png.90d8c39f2dc7073104f4bd56478f1bee.png

Edited by Spring Rubber

18 minutes ago, Georgie56 said:

Apparently KCPQ chose to simulcast FWX for today's severe weather event in Seattle. At least we definitely know now that weather coverage is being hubbed.

What type of severe weather happened, and did Fox Weather cover it the entire time of the simulcast, or did they still cover multiple things?

2 hours ago, Georgie56 said:

Tornado warning in the Seattle viewing area. I wasn’t watching at the time, but KCPQ later took over locally. (h/t @Mrtraveler01)

At first KCPQ was asleep at the wheel while the other stations in town were covering it. Then after a while, KCPQ started simulcasting Fox Weather while they were covering the tornado warnings. They eventually did go to local coverage only after the tornado warnings dropped.

Either way, KCPQ looked ill prepared today.

On 10/30/2021 at 7:07 PM, Spring Rubber said:

Interestingly, "Fox Weather Rewind: Aviation Disasters" was recorded in Fox News Studio J instead of inside the Fox Weather Studio W. I would wonder if perhaps the show may have been recorded prior to the completion of the Fox Weather studio.

They were probably still working on the set. 

I noticed that they repositioned the monitor in their secondary studio, Studio K, to cover up the empty space behind the anchor desk. I'm glad they made this change. The fact that there are two endless black holes behind the anchors looks really bad; you NEVER want to have huge empty-looking gaps on your set. The moving of the monitor to a position directly behind the anchors allows them to block the empty holes in part by the monitor and in part by the anchors' bodies.

Launch week:

FoxWX_20211026-6.thumb.png.fb992e836a77dd66a717e6eab1df3646.png

Now:

FoxWX_20211110-1.thumb.png.3d61774c5fcaef604eb0fe67fc902292.png

2 hours ago, PhillyWatch said:

I noticed today that FWX has finally appeared within the Tubi app, at least on my Android TV device

Yes, it’s there (Fire TV user here). The PQ on Tubi is subpar compared to the FOXNOW app.

Edited by Georgie56

• Georgie56 changed the title to Fox Weather