Fox Weather

Georgie56

Market competition did not take long to put TWC into action. TWC just announced that they will be live "all evening long" with severe weather coverage tonight. When they say this, that typically means going until 12am or 1am ET.

Of note, they are doing this tonight with an Enhanced Risk area and only a 5% tornado probability. In recent years, TWC has only extended their coverage in cases of Moderate Risk 15% tornado probability, and to-date in 2021, they seem to have raised the standard to High Risk and 30% tornado probability, as there were several 15 % Moderate Risk tornado days in 2021 that TWC completely blew off and ended coverage at the usual time. They only did extended severe coverage on March 17th and March 25th this year, both High Risk days.

This is clearly a case where they feel the need to stand up to Fox Weather in their 2nd day on the air, trying to win the severe weather coverage game tonight. Will be curious to see how Fox Weather responds after 10pm ET if TWC stays live later than that.

EDIT: I just realized they're doing this because of the Nor'Easter instead of because of the severe weather in the plains. That makes a lot more sense. Modern TWC only cares about bad weather in the northeast and the tropics and basically disregards every horrible event that impacts the rest of the country. So this is actually right in line with modern TWC standards.

Now I'm actually curious if both networks will blow off the severe weather in the plains and just focus all resources on the Nor'Easter coverage instead. I just tuned into Fox Weather, and they're already in all-red graphics mode "FOX Weather ALERT" for the Nor'Easter coverage.

Edited by Spring Rubber

7 minutes ago, TallyNewsJunkie said:

They went all Red with the Fox Weather Logo just now.....

image.thumb.png.e3e64cfb844613ed8815286985dc247f.png

Weird, and they just as quickly backed off of it and went back to normal. I think they're definitely toying around with "how RED to we want to go right now?"

Edited by Spring Rubber

Just now, Spring Rubber said:

Weird, and they just as quicky backed off of it and went back to normal. I think they're definitely toying around with "how RED to we want to go right now?"

They may just only be doing it when they're talking about the Nor'easter. As it is their WeatherAlert. When they're talking about the rest of the country it's normal graphics. 

9 hours ago, mrschimpf said:

I'd assume that would start rolling out once the FTS stations start the subchannel rollout and they start adding local inserts. At this point, it's more important to get the network up and running.

I expect WITI to be among the first in line. I kind of expected whatever their new GFX would be would launch with Fox Weather, but it looks like the wait will go on a little longer.

Considering the o&os Fox 6, Fox 13, Fox 10, Fox 29, Fox 35 have the graphics in their systems i would imagine Rollout will begin soon with these graphics. And it's also likely WNYW has them too as on Fwx they used Baron Lynx for a few graphics but mainly Severe radar coverage. 

Despite America's Weather Center's first day of coverage originating from the main studio, their second day of coverage is originating from the same "secondary" location where yesterday's edition of America's Weather Tonight originated. I wonder if going forward, the main studio will be reserved only for their "big" shows of Fox Weather Sunrise, Fox Weather Skydome, America's Weather Now, and Fox Weather Wild?

I wonder where in the building this secondary studio is. They never seem to do any wideshots in here based on the way last night's coverage west, so I can only assume that this is a pretty tiny setup with probably nothing more than one anchor desk and one stand-up monitor.

Some pics of this secondary studio:

FoxWX_20211026-6.thumb.png.8674f9a9cc0f1df6b5b553c2aad6c654.png

FoxWX_20211026-7.thumb.png.c28c5b7c649b0bfcd3d9c0ba9bf6161a.png

They are using a chroma key wall on this setup as well...FoxWX_20211026-8.thumb.png.99f1089464186135aa3cf42175d524d2.png

And, uh... nice overhead lights?

FoxWX_20211026-9.thumb.png.886d2d7a10b711235bd577dbc9012d8d.png

🙃

FoxWX_20211026-10.thumb.png.85a1c3c21c659202a807681faddf872e.png

Edited by Spring Rubber
  • Haha 2

30 minutes ago, Spring Rubber said:

Interesting, so Steve Bender is only listed on their website as a field correspondent, but here they are using him as an in-studio meteorologist today. Wonder if other field correspondents will also be used in-studio throughout the week/on weekends?

FoxWX_20211026-11.thumb.png.8328b5e84402bc8eebc66251de3da624.png

I wonder if this is related to their extended coverage? Maybe they're doing this so they can have enough staff for extended coverage tonight? 

Overall, I've been really impressed with the channel so far. I think it's been really good. 

• Like 3

32 minutes ago, followingnews said:

I wonder if this is related to their extended coverage? Maybe they're doing this so they can have enough staff for extended coverage tonight? 

Overall, I've been really impressed with the channel so far. I think it's been really good. 

They're using Steve Bender as the third meteorologist on this show, in place of Kendall Smith, who was on at this time yesterday. Kendall was used as a correspondent this morning on the AM shows, reporting on the Nor'easter live from Fox Square, outside their studio.

So basically swapping both of their on-air roles between correspondent and in-studio meteorologist.

So they've revealed another on-camera area that's being used on these "small studio" shows. Also, with this segment, we saw the introduction of Jane Minar working in this additional space. Unfortunately, the segment was a total disaster, as the maps on the screen were unable to advance. Jane also asked for help in advancing the maps, but to no avail. They bailed out of this segment very quickly, as Jane tossed it back to Ian at the desk to continue to the next topic.FoxWX_20211026-12.thumb.png.d288fc048f5f8fcf66240d5425c03799.png

Night Light began at 12am ET. At the end of the previous shift, they said to stay with Jane Minar overnight for more information, so I'm not sure if they mean that Jane will only break in if there's tornado warnings issued or what the plan is. Jane's already been live for like 5 hours already, so I don't see her being around for much longer if that's the case.

TWC also ended their live coverage at 12am ET, so I guess it's the race to...be the same.

Update: Jane did a quick scheduled 1-minute segment at 12:15am ET, then back to Night Light. So maybe updates at :15 and :45 or something like that...

Edited by Spring Rubber

6 minutes ago, Spring Rubber said:

Night Light began at 12am ET. At the end of the previous shift, they said to stay with Jane Minar overnight for more information, so I'm not sure if they mean that Jane will only break in if there's tornado warnings issued or what the plan is. Jane's already been live for like 5 hours already, so I don't see her being around for much longer if that's the case.

TWC also ended their live coverage at 12am ET, so I guess it's the race to...be the same.

Update: Jane did a quick scheduled 1-minute segment at 12:15am ET, then back to Night Light. So maybe updates at :15 and :45 or something like that...

Just came to mention this... I was wondering why they said to stay with her overnight and then went to night light... but it would make sense if she's ready to break in, as well as do scheduled segments.

I am really wondering why this isn't up on Tubi yet.

3 hours ago, followingnews said:

They've been breaking in throughout the night covering severe warnings several times an hour for extended periods of time.

Glad to hear that. Something that TWC would never do these days. I didn't have the energy to stay up any later to find out, so thanks for watching and letting us know.

Was it Jane the entire night, or did they switch it up at some point?

42 minutes ago, Spring Rubber said:

Glad to hear that. Something that TWC would never do these days. I didn't have the energy to stay up any later to find out, so thanks for watching and letting us know.

Was it Jane the entire night, or did they switch it up at some point?

It was Minar all night long (I, too, didn’t stay up all night to watch).

Edited by Georgie56

Fox Weather is going in-depth on the two tornado warnings in Texas right now. They're pre-empting all commercial breaks and focusing on both of these tornado warnings nonstop, instead of deviating to less-urgent topics.

Update 8:41am CT - they are currently simulcasting KRIV's coverage of the tornado warning in Harris County, TX. Presumabily to give the Fox Weather crew a quick break.

8:42am CT - back to the Fox Weather studio.

Edited by Spring Rubber

• Georgie56 changed the title to Fox Weather