Fox Weather

Georgie56

6 hours ago, TallyNewsJunkie said:

I must say I'm very impressed with FOX Weather so far. 

I am too. I did not have high hopes because I didn't expect it to be a 24/7 operation but it seems they're at least committed to being available around the clock (at least on weekdays). 

I hope they find more distribution methods

• Like 2

In the 10 p.m. ET hour, Jane Minar was live covering the tornado warning in Mobile, Alabama. As soon as that warning was lifted, they returned to the recorded Fox Weather Wild.

She was back for a one minute hit at 11:15 p.m. ET.

It seems Minar will be working overnights, which was confirmed in this FOX press release 

https://www.foxnews.com/media/fox-weather-launch

On 9/1/2021 at 3:01 PM, mrschimpf said:

This probably explains why WITI or KCPQ hasn't switched weather graphics from their Trib packages; why do it when the Fox Weather package would be coming after a few months anyways?

I thought Fox 6 Milwaukee and Fox 13 Seattle did switch weather graphics.

Looks like we now know why the schedule was displayed as "America's Weather Center" starting at 3 PM ET. Looks like now that we're past the opening day and past the severe weather events of the past two days, the plan going forward is to not have live programming from 12pm ET-3 PM ET. At the start of this hour, they entered into an automated loop of live cam and occasional weather maps with 3-day forecasts for various cities being displayed on the bottom of the screen. I can only assume they will be back live at 3 PM ET, and I'm guessing that this is probably what they'll be airing all day on weekends as well.

They are still breaking in live with updates on severe weather throughout the automated programming loop, though, just like in the overnights. Guessing they'll probably keep one meteorologist in standby for these scenarios on weekends as well?

Automated live cams:

FoxWX_20211028-1.thumb.png.ae132c76e7a5962d9353c880f860f86a.png

Automated weather maps:

FoxWX_20211028-2.thumb.png.ce768d68dab8659e7e0ebbb4815ca183.png

Live break-in:

FoxWX_20211028-3.thumb.png.732c3e03ab94fa4602e9774e2793f56d.png

1 minute ago, Georgie56 said:

Kinda sad that they’re going on autopilot from 12pm-3pm ET, considering TWC does live programming in those hours. 

I agree. If it was overnight I can understand. 

I think they need to rethink their 3 weather anchors they have per day part. If they condensed it to 2 they could break it up for each day part and have enough to go live for most of the day until Night Light. Maybe that will be their eventual goal but having them anchor up to 6 hours is a long time and maybe that was just because of the launch. 

Overall though I'm fairly surprised with their presentation over the past few days. They've stayed with severe weather when warranted. Gives me old school TWC vibes. They've done it right and it doesn't feel small market like Weather Nation does. 

29 minutes ago, Georgie56 said:

They’re back on live programming now. I guess Amy Freeze had the day off.

Looks like both Amy Freeze and Craig Herrera are out today. The evening team of Ian Oliver and Brigit Mahoney are anchoring America's Weather Center along with Steve Bender, who covered the break-in live segments for the past three hours. Interesting personnel setup.

Also, why the heck does the morning team anchor a 6-hour shift every day, while almost everyone else is scheduled for a 2, 3, or 4-hour hour on-air shift? Especially Brigit Mahoney, who only anchored two hours each day Monday-Wednesday. Oliver at least joined the Fox Weather Wild team for additional coverage afterward.

Are they trying to conserve the hours of a couple meteorologists to provide some weekend update segments here and there?

Edited by Spring Rubber
  • Like 1

38 minutes ago, Georgie56 said:

You'd think they'd have the oversight not to do forecasts for college football games that were played one week ago. They aired this graphic twice this morning.

20211029_110400.jpg

Came here to post this as well. And the hosts talked about these games just casually like, "Oh yeah, that's an exciting matchup. Really looking forward to that one!" etc, etc.

Kind of embarrassing to be served this old content by the production staff and then just start talking about it on the air without any idea that these were last week's games. I'm sure that this was a graphic that was used during rehearsals that they forgot to update. I might be a bit more understanding if it DIDN'T HAVE THE DATE at the top of the graphic that maybe it would be reasonable that a non-college football fan might not realize that this was outdated, but with the date right there on the graphic, it should have served as a major red flag to anyone on staff to notice this and fix the error.

Reminds me of the launch day on Monday when they kept saying over and over that game 1 of the World Series was that night, when really, the game was scheduled for the following night on Tuesday. It took them several hours into the broadcast to realize that they had the date of the game wrong. Also, for the entire day, they kept showing the start time of the Seahawks game as 4:15pm PT, when the real start time was 5:15pm PT. Clearly there's much room for improvement in getting the dates and times of their sports games correct.

But hey, at least it's casual Friday?

FoxWX_20211029-2.thumb.png.7d06614f393d03c9ed0f78e71a2c1b03.png

54 minutes ago, PhillyWatch said:

Amy Freeze posted in a FWX Instagram story that in addition to weekdays, she can be seen Saturdays & Sundays from 6am-noon. Now I doubt that's going to be weekday best-of's, so that's quite the workweek. 

Sounds like she'll be working a Saturday-Wednesday shift and that Ian Oliver and Brigit Mahoney will probably be covering America's Weather Center on Thursdays and Fridays in that case...

Wonder if Fox Weather will emulate TWC and just do live shows in the mornings only on weekends.

Edited by Spring Rubber

2 hours ago, Georgie56 said:

You'd think they'd have the oversight not to do forecasts for college football games that were played one week ago. They aired this graphic twice this morning.

Considering their Pac12, Big 12, and B1G rights, that mistake shouldn't have been made at all (along with a missed opportunity to promote Fox/FS1/B1G games).

3 minutes ago, Georgie56 said:

Seeing a graphic that says they’re doing special coverage of the SpaceX launch early Sunday morning at 2am ET.

Interesting, so they definitely do want eyeballs tuning into their platform for special coverage regardless of the time of day. I hope they show a continued commitment to this sort of thing going forward.

The Freeze-Herrera team came back this morning for the weekend edition of Sunrise. They definitely look more comfortable here than on their afternoon shift.

They finally got the college football schedule right...

20211030_060314.jpg

...but there's still a few kinks to work out in the sports department.

20211030_060358.jpg

20211030_060434.jpg

Edited by Georgie56

5 hours ago, Georgie56 said:

The Freeze-Herrera team came back this morning for the weekend edition of Sunrise. They definitely look more comfortable here than on their afternoon shift.

They finally got the college football schedule right...

20211030_060314.jpg

...but there's still a few kinks to work out in the sports department.

20211030_060358.jpg

20211030_060434.jpg

You mean the Houston Buccaneers are not your favorite sports team? 😉

I love how they went full screen forecast on a game that will be played indoors. Somebody should do some research on which games are played inside.

I'm surprised that they were insistent on a 3-person team for weekend mornings to where they put Jane Minar in this role. I guess it makes sense that they won't need her to work overnights every night of the week when the weather is quiet. I'm actually curious what her weekday role will be now that we're entering a quiet weather pattern, and there's no need for overnight updates. The weekend morning role is actually good for her in order to get her some regular, prominent airtime.

EDIT: Just like weekdays, they enter into an automated loop under the "America's Weather Center" branding at 12pm ET. Will be curious to see if they just stick with this until that special that's airing later tonight or if they actually have any live shows prior to that. At the end of the last hour, production didn't bother to update the script on the prompter, so the hosts still read the script that said, "Coming up on the next hour of Fox Weather Skydome..." and did the full teaser for the "next hour" even though there wasn't going to be a next hour.

EDIT 2: Stephen Morgan is live providing a weather update at :15 past under the "Fox Weather Sky Dome" branding.

Edited by Spring Rubber

So it looks like the weekend afternoon schedule is the automated loop from 12pm ET - 6pm ET. Stephen Morgan provided a 1-minute live segment at :15 and :45 throughout the entire 6-hour block. If he's going to be the regular one doing this, I assume he won't be appearing as the third host on the weekday morning show every weekday going forward. Depending on if he does both Saturday and Sunday or just one of the two days, then I think his weekday appearances will be reduced to 3 or 4 days a week.

Looks like a rerun of Fox Weather Wild started at 6pm ET after that screen that Georgie posted. Weird that they have that graphic prepared. Wonder if they would consider taking the live stream down at certain parts on weekends rather than doing the automated loop and/or prerecorded programming? Or maybe it's an idea that they considered in the past but ultimately decided to have something airing at all times.

Edited by Spring Rubber

• Georgie56 changed the title to Fox Weather