Fox Weather

Georgie56

Local weather hubbing seems like it would make far more sense with the groups like Tegna, Sinclair, and Nexstar that have significant medium to larger market stations right next to small-market stations than it does for network O&Os that tend to be much more spread out. For the hypothetical surprise Sunday morning tornado warning, someone who's from a couple hundred miles away at most is going to have a much better shot at knowing what names on the radar map are significant population centers, the unusual/difficult pronunciations, and the general state of the atmosphere. And even for things like weekend mornings or fill-ins, "so-and-so is joining us from our sister station in a nearby big city" feels like it would work as a toss.

• Like 1

Of course, me being included, we spoke too soon on here with regards to Nick Kosir and why he was "axed" or why he was "forced out." (still can't excuse the high attrition at the station though)

Congratulations to him on 'making it,' if you will, and even if he sacrifices his local connection, he'll perhaps have a much bigger platform to share his dance sessions.

For the TLDR folks;

• Jason Frazer
    • new Fox Weather's morning news co-host
    • departed WKYC yesterday
  • Britta Merwin
    • co-host with Frazer
    • departed KPRC in early-June
  • Craig Herrera
    • anchor for "key programming blocks"
    • most recently at KING
  • Brigit Mahoney
    • co-anchor of "lead programming dayparts"
    • left KTVI about 2 weeks ago
  • Nick Kosir
    • co-host for program's evening block
    • left WJZY, as we all know
  • Stephen Morgan
    • co-host for program's "main programming blocks"
    • most recently at KRIV

Edit-Oop; CircleSeven got to it first

The logo has been revealed and I think the new graphics will be coming to the o&os as well. They hired someone to connect FOX Weather with the FOX O&Os. The logo was used today with Janice Dean. The logo uses the O&O graphics font Nueue Plak. 

FOX_Weather_LOGO_12000x12000.jpg

image.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/25/2021 at 5:25 PM, nothing said:

The logo has been revealed and I think the new graphics will be coming to the o&os as well. They hired someone to connect FOX Weather with the FOX O&Os. The logo was used today with Janice Dean. The logo uses the O&O graphics font Nueue Plak. 

FOX_Weather_LOGO_12000x12000.jpg

The logo font looks like Futura Condensed Black and not Neue Plak. It does not look bad however, it has a quite retro feel and it harkens me to the golden age of TWC.

8 minutes ago, Georgie56 said:

As I can see from this write-up, it looks like there will be some foes within the Fox News organization. We know that Fox commentators do what they do, but it is really good to see Fox Weather will be overseen by their news department and not their opinion department. And the response from TWC it's clearly aggressive. Let's see what will happen next.

• 2 weeks later...

It's going to be interesting to see just how well this new streaming service does, or if it's gone  after a year or so.  It would be cool to see a side by side comparison of FOX Weather with The Weather Channel, Weather Nation TV & AccuWeather. 

It's good that they are being overseen by the news department, that should give it some credibility.

• Confused 1

• 1 month later...

So, this is funny. Among the local meteorologists, none of WFLD's personnel are shown...but another Chicago met is. New WGN weekend morning weather guy Tim Joyce just left Q13, but still found his way to the 2nd column from the right, middle row.

bandicam 2021-09-01 16-27-14-678.png

Edited by 24994J

42 minutes ago, nothing said:

Official Promo

https://www.facebook.com/JasonFrazerTV/posts/263584662252069

They're hubbing the weather department across the O&Os

This probably explains why WITI or KCPQ hasn't switched weather graphics from their Trib packages; why do it when the Fox Weather package would be coming after a few months anyways?

• Like 2

Glad to see Sue Serio, morning staple at FOX 29 Philly, in the A1 slot in the big graphic. I'm optimistic about this service. What I'm hoping they do (especially after seeing this graphic) is a LOT of collaboration with O&O weather departments. We know they made a bunch of hires to anchor and work out of the FXWX main studio, but nobody is going to be better able to delve deep into specific area forecasting and explanations than the local mets, who I'm guessing are being told to be on call in case they need to do a hit for the weather service. 

Also, total pipe dream, but it would be great if FTS could offer this up as an OTA diginet, particularly after the downfall of NBC WeatherPlus and the ABC Accuweather channels... though I imagine I'll be streaming it anyway 😆

I asked Evan Andrews when are they getting the graphics and if the FOX 4 WAPP will be dissolved. I also had a conversation with Tom Wachs at WITI and he said he only heard about the weather graphics being Hubbed from Tampa. Tom said he heard nothing about FOX WEATHER.

Very interesting.

Edited by nothing

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

The app is now available for "pre-order", meaning you can download it but it won't show up on your phone until Monday. The twitter replies are an interesting mix of "there should be a Hannity app!!" and "I'll NEVER watch this Fox news crap!". I'm really hoping there's an editorial divide between FWX AND FNC the way there is between FNC and Fox Television Stations. 

Also, along the lines of the old joke that FNC was ultra-conservative while the FOX network was bawdy and trashy, I've been daydreaming... What if FWX goes ALL IN on climate change, completely ignoring any FNC blowhards and attempting and one-up The Weather Channel right out of the gate?

Really I'm just hoping this doesn't become a disappointment like NewsNation. We'll see come Monday!

• Georgie56 changed the title to Fox Weather