KWQC Preempts Wednesday Afternoon Football

Georgie56
Message added by Weeters,

Posting email addresses or phone numbers in this thread will be considered encouragement to harass station employees, a violation of site policies, and will be responded to as such.

1 hour ago, Kenneth Kissel said:

I called KWQC and they said they did it for Local advertising and programming. It was the GM's decision to do this (who is Sue Ramsett) . Hope her resume is up to date. 

She about to lose her job!!! Cause when there a contract violation NBC call the owners ands says one of your stations and this specific station did this, and they get into some serious trouble or even worse fired!!!

Celebration GIF by GIPHY News

6 minutes ago, Gavin said:

She about to lose her job!!! Cause when there a contract violation NBC call the owners ands says one of your stations and this specific station did this, and they get into some serious trouble or even worse fired!!!

Celebration GIF by GIPHY News

This isn't the first time KWQC has chosen to not air an NFL Game

24 minutes ago, dman748 said:

This isn't the first time KWQC has chosen to not air an NFL Game

Well I mean its against the rules put on a sister channel. Like my station WRAL5 (NBC) in Raleigh they already the 4P.M. news on FOX 50. But they also aired the 5 P.M. as I type newscast on FOX, and I'm not sure about the 6 P.M. cause as I'm typing this its 5:59 P.M. but I'm assume they will do that. And maybe the 7 P.M. will be there too.

2 minutes ago, Gavin said:

Well I mean its against the rules put on a sister channel. Like my station WRAL5 (NBC) in Raleigh they already the 4P.M. news on FOX 50. But they also aired the 5 P.M. as I type newscast on FOX, and I'm not sure about the 6 P.M. cause as I'm typing this its 5:59 P.M. but I'm assume they will do that. And maybe the 7 P.M. will be there too.

Game should be over by 7

I know people are always excited at the prospect of an affiliate getting their affiliation taken away, but this, friends, is a big ol'

Where did the term 'nothing burger' actually originate?

The NFL upset the time-honored tradition of "local time". KWQC didn't play along. NBC is not going to pull an affiliation because they were forced to schedule a football game on a Wednesday afternoon and take away income from the local stations. I'm honestly surprised more stations didn't do this.

7 minutes ago, Mrtraveler01 said:

KWQC has released a statement about their decision. 

https://www.kwqc.com/2020/12/02/tv6-not-airing-baltimore-ravens-vs-pittsburgh-steelers-game/

The remark about people not being able to stream it easy struck me as incredibly tone deaf.

No question. Unless you have access to other NBC Stations or Streaming Sites, This was a terrible move by KWQC. I'm worried other Stations will do this as well if KWQC is let off easy here. I can see the suits at TEGNA, Nexstar, Sinclair, or anyone else thinking about this if the profit outweighs the risk.

Like I said in the Discord, If an affiliation swap is happening in the Quad Cities, It would most likely be KWQC to ABC and WQAD to NBC. Tegna has always done well with NBC Stations. Nexstar is the other Company in the market and won't switch because they would have to give up the triopoly they have.

Good for them.  This game should have never aired at the time it did.  It's about time someone stood up to the NFL.  The fact that this game was pushed around due to COVID (and the worsening surge as we speak) should have pushed it to oblivion, or at least the next available football-like time slot.

While KWQC could see some repercussions from this, it will be forgotten and they will be an NBC affiliate as long as Gray keeps them around.

In my neck of the woods, WPMI aired a 6pm newscast after the conclusion of the post-game show.  Over in Biloxi, where WXXV airs Nightly News at 6pm Central (they air local news at 5:30), they went to the Rockefeller Center tree lighting instead, since NN was pre-empted by the game itself.

2 hours ago, Weeters said:

I know people are always excited at the prospect of an affiliate getting their affiliation taken away, but this, friends, is a big ol'

The NFL upset the time-honored tradition of "local time". KWQC didn't play along. NBC is not going to pull an affiliation because they were forced to schedule a football game on a Wednesday afternoon and take away income from the local stations. I'm honestly surprised more stations didn't do this.

My local station decided to cut Kelly Clarkson in half (I don't understand that...at all!)...and also if you get the right package, the game was also on NBC's Spanish network, Universo. There's also a replay of it on NFLN in primetime. Plus there was the risk the game would be moved again last minute, again throwing stations into scheduling chaos. I can see the station's side of it; these businesses need any platform they can to survive, and just because the NFL can't get their virus protocols right shouldn't mean that affiliates down the network outside of the AFC North should have to shift around their schedules multiple times to accommodate a football game that is of little interest to their market (if this was the Bears or Chiefs...this call would not have been made). 

My question is whether the contract allows the station to choose to opt-out if a game takes place outside of the regular time.

Either way, I personally don't think the station did anything wrong by opting out...especially since it was airing outside of normal airtime and was impeding on their schedule.

I don't see a big controversy with this...tbh.

5 hours ago, Mrtraveler01 said:

We have to take into consideration, it's an NBC station in DAVENPORT, IOWA. Not New York, L.A, Chicago or home markets of those noted teams. Each market has different needs. Although it's owned by a conglomerate, it's a small station serving a small but I'm sure tight-knit community. At a time when communities depend on the media in need more than ever, from the same colleagues who are also basically neighbors to them, it's understandable why they made the decision. I think even at a short notice, they could've told the plan a bit in advance + promote NBC sports app a bit much as well.

I personally don't know if I wanted that smoke, but then again I'm an outsider, as much of us are unless you or know someone lives in Davenport. Strong reactions to this news also reveals how f*cked up our priorities in this country are, but we're not new to this, it's true to this. Lets face it, this pandemic reveals so much of us here at-large. At 'best', indifference. At worst, lack of empathy. Sports reign in this country so much, for a collective sum, it takes precedent over real life, no matter how ridiculous it is. Also if this threatens KWQC's affiliation with NBC, how come it didn't yank it in the 90s when it showed Sunday Cubs baseball or an Iowa Basketball game, based from an aforementioned tweet a couple of posts above. So spare me with the affiliation change talk, please? As the sports guy (Joey Donia) in that clip posted in KWQC's link above said "It's only a game". And he speaks LOCAL thru that passion, you can feel it. But unless there's a detail in the contract stated that you must clear games on our network (regardless of circumstances) or else, we'll go thru this again, I promise you.

I'm surprised that so many Quad Cities fans cared. I would understand had it been the Packers, the Vikings, Chiefs or Bears playing and it were preempted. I'm also surprised that more NBC stations didn't follow suit or at the least, delegated the game to a junior partner or a subchannel. If Fox and CBS can relegate games to a specific portion of the country then why is KWQC catching hate for their decision?

On 12/3/2020 at 1:29 AM, ColtFromGulfcoast said:

If Fox and CBS can relegate games to a specific portion of the country then why is KWQC catching hate for their decision?

Because KWQC didn't air another game in its place.

Archived