Kenneth Kissel

We should all be seeing ratings bumps throughout selective markets due to COVID-19 and Election Coverage. I'll Start with Pittsburgh Provided by Rob Owen of the Pittsburgh Tribune-Review.

For the past 20 years, Pittsburgh’s Nielsen market rank has averaged around No. 22 or 23 (out of 210 TV markets nationally) even as growing cities surpassed Pittsburgh, including Portland, Ore., and Charlotte, N.C.

In 2018 Pittsburgh fell to No. 24 and for 2021, Pittsburgh drops to No. 26 as Indianapolis pushes ahead to the 25th spot, just behind St. Louis (No. 23), and Raleigh-Durham, N.C. (No. 24).

It’s the first time Pittsburgh has fallen out of the Top 25, but media consultant Brad Adgate said it’s unlikely to matter when it comes to local stations’ ability to attract advertisers.

“If you do business in Pittsburgh, dropping out of the Top 25 will not impact market ad spend,” Adgate said. “It follows a trend of markets in the north that have been dropping in market rank to markets in the south and west (that have moved up in market rank).”

Kathy Baldauf, associate broadcast director at Pittsburgh’s Brunner marketing agency, agreed, noting that while Pittsburgh’s market rank dropped two notches, the market actually gained 86,230 TV households (from 1,079,900 TV homes in 2020 to 1,166,130 TV homes in 2021). And she said the way advertisers allocate their resources has changed as advertising has become more data driven.

At one time dropping out of the Top 25 could have hurt Pittsburgh TV stations if a national advertiser were to buy commercials in just the Top 25 TV markets, but Baldauf said that’s no longer how ad buys are made.

“Clients are using so much information and they’re looking for markets that are going to make sense for their product, markets that have the highest propensity to purchase that product,” Baldauf said. “You might buy the No. 50 market or the No. 100 market. It’s not necessarily about the Top 10 or Top 20.”

In addition, Baldauf notes that local TV newscasts in Pittsburgh, whether on KDKA-TV, WPXI-TV or WTAE-TV, draw higher ratings than prime-time programming in some Top 10 markets. (Indeed, even in Pittsburgh the 6 p.m. news on each station is generally higher-rated than what local stations draw in prime-time average viewership.)

In the most recent sweeps ratings period that ended Nov. 25, the local news landscape remained highly competitive with near-ties in multiple time periods.

In household viewers, a measure of overall popularity, WTAE took No. 1 at 5 and 6 a.m. and 6 p.m. KDKA was first at 12, 4, 5 and 11 p.m. Channel 11’s 10 p.m. news on WPGH had double the share of the audience of KDKA’s news on WPCW.

In the more-important-to-advertisers key demographic of persons 25-54 years old, WPXI took first place at 5 a.m., 6 p.m., 10 p.m. (Channel 11 News on WPGH) and 11 p.m. WTAE landed in first place at 6 a.m. KDKA was tied with WTAE at 6 a.m. and KDKA also took the top demo spot at 12, 4 and 5 p.m.

At 4 p.m. on WTAE, syndicated talk show “Ellen” has long been a ratings laggard and that was especially true this ratings period, drawing just one-quarter of the household audience compared to “Judge Judy” on WPXI and news on KDKA. WTAE’s 5 p.m. news almost tripled its share of the audience compared to its “Ellen” lead-in.

In prime time on weekdays (8-11 p.m.) KDKA (CBS) was first in households followed by WPXI (NBC) and WTAE (ABC). In the key demo, WPXI ranked No. 1, followed by KDKA and WTAE.

Full Story HERE: https://triblive.com/aande/movies-tv/tv-talk-pittsburghs-nielsen-market-rank-drops-local-news-ratings-remain-competitive/?fbclid=IwAR0qv8E1jojCdM-WGz9bojkSGpsSbdzRM-vLnT46PcgMPuMN-xtPFg6ag7w

Better view of the Graphic below: https://infogram.com/tv-ratings-1hkv2nz3pko7n2x

PR 1.PNG

Just wanted to stop by and express how much I appreciate reporters like Rob Owen and his paper for still committing resources to "local media news" (or something like it); some might dismiss reports about local media as gossip but it's hard numbers and context like this that are godsend for nerds like us. 

Also here to report on another market: Memphis (51)

WREG is the undeniable leader across every timeslot (which I'm sure mean household viewers).

• Every half-hour from 4:30-7AM: WREG leads, WHBQ is 2nd, WMC is 3rd, WATN is last
  • 9AM: WREG leads, WHBQ is 2nd
  • Midday: WREG leads (overwhelmingly), WMC 2nd, WHBQ 3rd, WATN last
  • 4PM: WREG leads, WMC 2nd
  • 5, 6, 10PM: WREG leads, WMC 2nd, WHBQ 3rd, WATN last

Chicago (3)

WLS leads at 4, 5, 6, and 10PM in both households and 25-54.

WGN leads in mornings from 6-9AM, continuing a 10-yr winning streak.

Detroit, big news here is that WDIV beat WJBK at 6am. Otherwise the status quo holds with WXYZ up slightly compared to where they have been and WJBK continuing to decline:

6am:
WDIV News 2.9 / 15 SHR 49,000 HH
WJBK News 2.8 / 14 SHR 46,000 HH

4pm:
WDIV News 5.1 / 14 SHR 86,000 HH
WJBK Judge Judy 3.6 / 10 SHR 60,000 HH
WXYZ News 2.3 / 6 SHR 36,000 HH

5pm:
WDIV News 7.4 / 17 SHR 125,000 HH
WXYZ News 4.5 / 10 SHR 76,000 HH
WJBK News 3.9 / 9 SHR 65,000 HH

6pm:
WDIV News 9.7 / 20 SHR 163,000 HH
WXYZ News 6.7 / 13 SHR 112,000 HH
WJBK News 3.0 / 6 SHR 51,000 HH

7pm:
WDIV Wheel/Jeopardy! 9.6 / 18 SHR 161,000 HH
WXYZ News/The List 4.4 / 8 SHR 73,000 HH
WJBK TMZ/Extra 2.2 / 4 SHR 38,000 HH

10pm:
WJBK News 3.6 / 7 SHR 61,000 HH

11pm:
WDIV News 6.8 / 15 SHR 114,000 HH
WXYZ News 4.4 / 10 SHR 74,000 HH
WJBK News 2.3 / 5 SHR 39,000 HH

https://www.clickondetroit.com/news/local/2020/11/25/the-results-are-in-and-local-4-wins-metro-detroit/

Jacksonville (link)

WJXT is the winner across the board, particularly for 25-54.

- leader from 4:30-7AM

- The Morning Show (7-9AM) leads over other local/national shows

- 4PM over competing news and syndicated shows

- leader at 5, 6, 10, and 11PM over competing local/national newscasts

Greenville, SC (link)

"WYFF News 4 led the market with the top seven overall newscasts and nine of the top ten in the Adult 25-54 demographic."

On 12/2/2020 at 3:36 PM, Roadrunner said:

Just wanted to stop by and express how much I appreciate reporters like Rob Owen and his paper for still committing resources to "local media news" (or something like it); some might dismiss reports about local media as gossip but it's hard numbers and context like this that are godsend for nerds like us. 

Also here to report on another market: Memphis (51)

WREG is the undeniable leader across every timeslot (which I'm sure mean household viewers).

• Every half-hour from 4:30-7AM: WREG leads, WHBQ is 2nd, WMC is 3rd, WATN is last
  • 9AM: WREG leads, WHBQ is 2nd
  • Midday: WREG leads (overwhelmingly), WMC 2nd, WHBQ 3rd, WATN last
  • 4PM: WREG leads, WMC 2nd
  • 5, 6, 10PM: WREG leads, WMC 2nd, WHBQ 3rd, WATN last

Chicago (3)

WLS leads at 4, 5, 6, and 10PM in both households and 25-54.

WGN leads in mornings from 6-9AM, continuing a 10-yr winning streak.

I suprised WHBQ has not taken 2nd place in the 5,6, and 10pm, time slot.

This was leaked from a producer at WREG. It talks a little bit about ratings.

AD7A3538-4A38-4B70-9340-A93D076BEEF9.jpeg

19 minutes ago, I’m a news junkie..so what said:

I suprised WHBQ has not taken 2nd place in the 5,6, and 10pm, time slot.

This was leaked from a producer at WREG. It talks a little bit about ratings.

AD7A3538-4A38-4B70-9340-A93D076BEEF9.jpeg

This synopsis on ratemystation.com was written back in January of 2018. Back then, Sinclair had attempted to buy Tribune, which was WREG's parent company at the time. Of course, the deal fell through, and that culminated in the Nexstar-Tribune merger a year later. Also, that synopsis on ratemystation.com was from a photographer, not a producer........

Also, there are only 3 reviews about WREG on ratemystation.com. Number of complaints about KOAT in Albuquerque on the website? 39!!!

1 hour ago, johnnya2k6 said:

I would assume Jeopardy's ratings increased in November in many markets after Alex Trebek's death (hope they finally beat ET here in Atlanta).

A test pattern on WSB-TV would still beat Jeopardy! If WGCL/CBS46 were smart they should obtain the rights of WoF/Jeopardy from WXIA to challenge them more for #3 or #2.

18 hours ago, Breaking News said:

A test pattern on WSB-TV would still beat Jeopardy! If WGCL/CBS46 were smart they should obtain the rights of WoF/Jeopardy from WXIA to challenge them more for #3 or #2.

Nah; Wheel and Jeopardy are fine where they are on WXIA, and besides...they’ve been beating Dish Nation/TMZ (WAGA), People/Big Bang Theory (WGCL), and Family Feud (WUPA) while ET on WSB is completely unwatchable.

Hell, WSB should do a program swap with WUPA like they did with WXIA on the networks side: ET moving to WUPA (40 years on WSB is long enough) with Feud now on WSB!

I aid that last year after the DMA ranking release Raleigh-Durham-Fayetteville had been 25 out of the top 25 in 2018, then 2019 came around and it was 27. i said that can't be right that suspicious, our market couldn't have declined, my market is experimenting with exponential growth. But this time we grew to DMA 24, but there this thing called BSO or no BBO can someone explain that to me.

In Raleigh, all I know WTVD 11 (The ABC O&O Station in Raleigh)  is number 1 in the Morning, Noon, 4 P.M., and Weekend mornings!!!

Don't know about the other 2, and Spectrum Cable!!! or Spanish-Language!!!

2 hours ago, Gavin said:

In Raleigh, all I know WTVD 11 (The ABC O&O Station in Raleigh)  is number 1 in the Morning, Noon, 4 P.M., and Weekend mornings!!!

Don't know about the other 2, and Spectrum Cable!!! or Spanish-Language!!!

And WRAL rules evenings, of course.

Well, well, well...

WPLG comes out swingin' and claims they've won the 25-54 for every time slot in November.

They don't give specific numbers but they just list that they're #1 across everything, including GMA. 

This obviously does not include specific hours where WSVN runs news that WPLG does not.

But also, for the hours that WPLG and WSVN do run news, they're WSVN's biggest competitor, so this is...interesting, I guess? 

I thought the community wouldn't respond as well to the larger turnover at WPLG as opposed to WSVN but maybe someone living in the area can chime in on the perceptions these days.

On 12/8/2020 at 5:36 PM, Gavin said:

I aid that last year after the DMA ranking release Raleigh-Durham-Fayetteville had been 25 out of the top 25 in 2018, then 2019 came around and it was 27. i said that can't be right that suspicious, our market couldn't have declined, my market is experimenting with exponential growth. But this time we grew to DMA 24, but there this thing called BSO or no BBO can someone explain that to me.

Nielsen decided to include broadband-only households in the DMA rankings this year. That way, people who watch TV only through streaming services are part of the numbers. There were a lot of markets that moved several places in the rankings because of the change.

5 hours ago, blizzard59 said:

Nielsen decided to include broadband-only households in the DMA rankings this year. That way, people who watch TV only through streaming services are part of the numbers. There were a lot of markets that moved several places in the rankings because of the change.

Yeah I see that was 27 last year I knew that was sus, now it's 24 I'm more comfortable with that cause in 2018 it was 25. We needed the growth!!!

45 minutes ago, Georgie56 said:

The semantics are what they're comparing themselves to. If they're beating CBSTM/GMA/Today, then it's something. If they're only comparing themselves to local news, it isn't that hard, they only face WTNH's extension on WCTX at 7, are solo at 8, face WTNH at 9 (simulcast on WCTX), and are solo at 10. The team there is relatively solid though, it just needed a freshening up from the mess of an image Tribune had.

The real fun will be if any idea of how WFSB did surfaces. Given the hell year they've had, I wouldn't be shocked if they took some hits in the ratings, especially since they're spread even more thin than they should be.

1 hour ago, scrabbleship said:

The semantics are what they're comparing themselves to. If they're beating CBSTM/GMA/Today, then it's something. If they're only comparing themselves to local news, it isn't that hard

The link answers that question. According to the story, WTIC is beating the network shows from 7-9.

The FOX61 Morning News, Connecticut’s only “All Local All Morning” newscast, is #1 in Adults 25-54 from 7am to 11am, even beating all of the major networks’ morning programs from 7am to 9am.

In that case, impressive. Hartford has always been a market where the network morning shows have been near parity so for 61 to find a path through plus beat the non-news stuff on at that time (Live/LMad on WFSB, Drew on WTNH) is a feat in itself.

I do wonder what their 4:00 numbers are and if it might be worth it to compete later than earlier. 61 was the first to do 4:00 news in 2008, however the lead-ins that 3 and 30 have for their newer 4:00 newscasts are a bit more substantial. 

On 12/8/2020 at 3:27 PM, johnnya2k6 said:

Nah; Wheel and Jeopardy are fine where they are on WXIA, and besides...they’ve been beating Dish Nation/TMZ (WAGA), People/Big Bang Theory (WGCL), and Family Feud (WUPA) while ET on WSB is completely unwatchable.

Hell, WSB should do a program swap with WUPA like they did with WXIA on the networks side: ET moving to WUPA (40 years on WSB is long enough) with Feud now on WSB!

I would like to see WGCL get a bigger footing and it would behoove them to get some better programming.  ET is not the same ET it used to be. Access Hollywood would be better, but ET on WSB is a staple . Or even Inside Edition

not sure who airing that on ATL tv.  Wheel/Jeopardy! does well and did well when it went to KTVT in DFW market.

4 hours ago, Breaking News said:

I would like to see WGCL get a bigger footing and it would behoove them to get some better programming.  ET is not the same ET it used to be. Access Hollywood would be better, but ET on WSB is a staple . Or even Inside Edition

not sure who airing that on ATL tv. 

Inside Edition is on sister station WPCH at 10:00 pm (its fifth station in Atlanta; WSB had it for awhile in the 2000's).

And yes, ET is definitely not the same ET as it was back in the day, which is why we have other places to go to for the kind of entertainment news they used to cover. Access Hollywood? It ain't leaving WAGA anytime soon.

Not sure about other time periods but I hear on Discord that there has been a shakeup at 10pm in Charlotte. Kent Brockman says WJZY has surpassed WCCB AND WAXN. Nexstar has apparently been exactly what the doctor ordered for 46. They’ve come a long way since the “Hey, Hey Carolinas” days and I’m happy for them. This is what I expected when Fox first bought them, but Fox chose to use them as a guinea pig for its failed soft news experiment. They seemed to be making strides right before cashing out, hiring Brigida Mack and all. I’m not sure when their ratings actually improved.

On 12/10/2020 at 11:15 PM, Nelson R. said:

Not sure about other time periods but I hear on Discord that there has been a shakeup at 10pm in Charlotte. Kent Brockman says WJZY has surpassed WCCB AND WAXN. Nexstar has apparently been exactly what the doctor ordered for 46. They’ve come a long way since the “Hey, Hey Carolinas” days and I’m happy for them. This is what I expected when Fox first bought them, but Fox chose to use them as a guinea pig for its failed soft news experiment. They seemed to be making strides right before cashing out, hiring Brigida Mack and all. I’m not sure when their ratings actually improved.

All 3 stations are really close at 10pm. It goes back and forth depending on the night. WJZY has benefited from Fox’s primetime lead in, which is what led to them being #1 in the November sweeps.

Nothing has changed in the other newscasts. WSOC and WBTV are still fighting it out for #1, WCNC is still a distant 3rd and WJZY is dead last in evenings and fighting it out with WCCB for dead last in mornings. 

Archived