In Memoriam

jdcnow

• 6 months later...

To add to this the Raycom stations as well. I'm at the point where DirecTV is to blame here and not so much the stations in these local cases.

If you have satellite especially and you can get a signal from the transmitter, keep an antenna handy. You never know when you'll need it.

To add to this the Raycom stations as well. I'm at the point where DirecTV is to blame here and not so much the stations in these local cases.

Directv is FAR better than Dish, who has had multiple spats with companies like LIN, and poorly handled the Media General blackout a few months back. Aside from TWC and the Viacom / Tribune blackout, their potential spats have either fizzled out, resolved quickly, or have been with smaller broadcasters.

The match made in HELL has been any group dealing with Mediacom, and any pay tv provider dealing with LIN.....

Then there's Comcast, who just caves in and jacks up the rates by adding surcharges...but maybe they'll have a spat with the NBC O&Os....right?

Sad News in Nebraska.

Former longtime KNOP-TV owner Ulysses Carlini, Sr. passed away on Sunday at the age of 89.

He owned KNOP from 1968 until he sold the station (along with KHAS, which he bought in 1997) to Hoak Media in 2005.

EDIT 6:37pm/ET: Damn Raymie beat me to it yesterday. I didn't realized until just now. My bad.

• 2 months later...

As many of you know or many of you don't know; longtime WDBO/WCPX anchorman Ben Aycrigg passed away yesterday of a short illness at the age of 88. Aycrigg was called 'The Walter Cronkite of Central Florida" who deliver the news for more than 35 consecutive years until his retirement in 1996. Funeral service will be private, but a public memorial will be held next week. I have a full newscast on Ben anchor Channel 6 News at Noon with Charna Davis-Wiese from June 22, 1995 and I'll upload it on my YT channel tomorrow or this weekend.

We at TVNT want offer our prayers and condolences to Ben Aycrigg's family and his extended family at WKMG Local 6 (Formerly WDBO/WCPX) at this difficult time.

Rest in Peace, Ben; God Bless and Godspeed.

http://www.clickorlando.com/news/longtime-channel-6-anchor-ben-aycrigg-dies/29553032

• 2 weeks later...

It's two months late, but I've have some sad news to report. Former WPLG weatherman Walter Cronise passed away at his home in Jacksonville on September 20th at the age of 90. Cronise survived by his wife Dorothy, five children, seven grandchildren, and 14 great-grandchildren. TVNT like to extend our condolences to the Cronise Family and his extended WPLG Local 10 family.

http://www.sfltv.com/2014/wplg-meteorologist-walt-cronise-dies-90/

• 3 weeks later...

BREAKING NEWS: Legendary Detroit anchorman Bill Bonds has passed away today. He suffered a heart attack. http://www.wxyz.com/news/bill-bonds-iconic-former-channel-7-action-news-anchorman-has-died

There never be another broadcaster, a communicator, a local Detroit icon like Bill Bonds. Bill's a legend, a fighter, an institution, and Bonds was The King of Detroit Television News

and they called him The King for good reasons because he was, and still is the best to this day. TVNewsTalk would like to extend our prayers and condolences to the family of

Bill Bonds and to his friends and colleagues at 7 Action News.

Bonds stands for Detroit and 7 Still Stands for News.

Rest in Peace Bill, and Godspeed. :(

Another end of an era. You'll be missed, Bill.

WXYZ Is devoting their entire 10pm and most of their 11pm to him, lots of former air personalities either appearing in-studio or on the phone and in interviews conducted tonight. Also a 1999 interview the station did with him has been played. Also a Detroit TV Historian. 5pm Anchor JoAnne Purtan's wedding video that Bonds did an amusing well-wishes comment for, And a shortened weathercast -- similar to decades ago In length in his honor. Bonds gets the last word with the last commentary he ever gave, in 2008 for the stations 60th anniversary. The 11pm newscast will be expanded to 1 hour tonight.

Edit:

All of the legacy ABC talent has now made some sort of appearance on WXYZ.

If you think about a signature journalist that literally shaped a television station and became their defining personality for decades to come, the following five people immediately come to my mind:

Ralph Renick at WTVJ.

Dorothy Fuldheim at WEWS.

Irv Weinstein at WKBW.

Jim Jensen at WCBS.

...and Bill Bonds at WXYZ.

If you think about a signature journalist that literally shaped a television station and became their defining personality for decades to come, the following five people immediately come to my mind:

Ralph Renick at WTVJ.

Dorothy Fuldheim at WEWS.

Irv Weinstein at WKBW.

Jim Jensen at WCBS.

...and Bill Bonds at WXYZ.

That's a great list, lots of iconic talent there.

WXYZ's coverage tonight was absolutely perfect, no mistakes, no goofs, no problems, no awkward moments... Just the way Bill Bonds would have demanded it be done. When they want to they can put out some incredible TV. I really wish they would be that incredibly polished more often.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Sad news out of South Florida, former WSVN and WPLG anchor/reporter Kelley Mitchell has died. Mitchell passed away at her home last night; the cause

of death is unknown. More recently, Mitchell was an afternoon anchor at WLRN Radio until January of this year. After parting ways with the station, Mitchell

filled in at WIOD Radio which put her back at the same station with 90's WSVN co-anchor Rick Sanchez.

Mitchell survived by her husband Kirk Wade (WSVN Chief Photographer). TVNT would like to offer our payers and condolences to our friends at WSVN & WPLG

at very difficult time.

http://www.local10.com/station/veteran-south-florida-broadcaster-kelley-mitchell-dies-at-age-of-58/32938926

Sad new out of South Florida, former WSVN and WPLG anchor/reporter Kelley Mitchell has died. Mitchell passed away at her home last night; the cause

of death is unknown. More recently, Mitchell was an afternoon anchor at WLRN Radio until January of this year. After parting ways with the station, Mitchell

filled in at WIOD Radio which put her back at the same station with 90's WSVN co-anchor Rick Sanchez.

Mitchell survived by her husband Kirk Wade (WSVN Chief Photographer). TVNT would like to offer our payers and condolences to our friends at WSVN & WPLG

at very difficult time.

http://www.local10.com/station/veteran-south-florida-broadcaster-kelley-mitchell-dies-at-age-of-58/32938926

Very sad to hear. :( Since I live in South Florida, we just lost a giant. She was stellar and charming. We will miss her a lot around here.

• 1 month later...

A huge tragedy in OKC Sports broadcasting, and I know tomorrow's Father's Day because I know Bob Jr. and Bob Sr. (Father & Son) are reunited together

doing sports in heaven. TVNewsTalk would like to offer our condolences to our friends and colleagues at Oklahoma's NewsChannel 4.

Rest in Peace Bob Jr, and may you go rest high on that mountain. Godspeed my friend, you are at better place.