In Memoriam

jdcnow

Wondering how TPIR will commemorate this... They've moved from "The Bob Barker Studio", does the new studio get dubbed the same? Do they go the "Bob Barker Stage" route like Jeopardy did?

I feel like Fremantle/CBS can't not do something here...

• Like 2

I'm anticipating a memorial tribute TOTH ID on Monday (possibly for the week, possible at various points during the day), something filmed to air at the top of the season premiere, and possibly a primetime special, sometime soon. As for a renaming of something, I could see them going the stage route, but unfortunately, it's not that different from the studio dedication, and simply shifting it to the new facility (in whatever form) feels like it cheapens the honor. For better or worse, Bob had zero connection to the new place. I agree that they should do SOMETHING, but I'm just not sure what.

• Like 3

There's one other game that most people have forgotten.  Bob hosted "The Family Game" for Chuck Barris on ABC in 1967.  A knockoff of "The Newlywed Game," its premise was to see how much parents knew about their kids and vice versa.  During taping breaks at "Price," audience members would ask Bob about this show and he would invariably answer, "I forgot about that show a long time ago."  If my memory hasn't failed me, Bob also created a show called "Lucky Pair," which aired locally in Los Angeles and was hosted by Richard Dawson (somebody in LA correct me on this).

And there was a short-lived reality show, "The End of the Rainbow," which Bob co-hosted with "You Asked For It"''s Art Baker in 1958.  Ralph Edwards produced this one, but it lasted only about six weeks before being replaced by that old standby, "Ted Mack's Amateur Hour."

On 8/27/2023 at 12:26 AM, 24994J said:

I'm anticipating a memorial tribute TOTH ID on Monday (possibly for the week, possible at various points during the day), something filmed to air at the top of the season premiere, and possibly a primetime special, sometime soon. As for a renaming of something, I could see them going the stage route, but unfortunately, it's not that different from the studio dedication, and simply shifting it to the new facility (in whatever form) feels like it cheapens the honor. For better or worse, Bob had zero connection to the new place. I agree that they should do SOMETHING, but I'm just not sure what.

There will be a primetime special airing Thursday night (reairing on Labor Day morning) honoring the late game show host. 

There'll never be another TV giant like this one. A true legend. May he rest in peace.

Edited by CircleSeven
  • Thanks 1

Some really sad news out from the Queen City. WBTV has announced that the great Steve Crump has sadly passed away after his battle with colon cancer.

https://www.wbtv.com/2023/08/31/steve-crump-beloved-wbtv-reporter-nearly-40-years-dies-following-cancer-battle/?utm_source=twitter&utm_medium=Social&utm_campaign=snd&utm_content=wbtv

Edited by AaronQ
  • Sad 3

WCBS New York lost another member of their family in Dr. Max Gomez, their chief medical correspondent. He rejoined the station in 2007, following an earlier run at WCBS in the 1990s. He was 72

https://www.cbsnews.com/newyork/news/dr-max-gomez-award-winning-medical-reporter-for-cbs-new-york-dies-after-long-illness/

Edited by NYTV
  • Sad 2

On 8/26/2023 at 7:38 PM, TheOneManHerd said:

He was singlehandedly responsible, in the East at least, for CBS affiliates almost always dominating the noon hour because of the lead-in he provided. I’d say it fits here.

I certainly do remember that on WSPA down here where I'm from-- he led into Eyewitness News at noon, NewsChannel 7 at noon, and 7 On Your Side at noon (the Drew Carey version of today leads into 7 News at noon).

On 8/26/2023 at 10:55 PM, GodfreyGR said:

Wondering how TPIR will commemorate this... They've moved from "The Bob Barker Studio", does the new studio get dubbed the same? Do they go the "Bob Barker Stage" route like Jeopardy did?

I feel like Fremantle/CBS can't not do something here...

I just watched the Monday repeat of the Bob Barker special.  At the end of the credits, they referenced Haven Studios, which means there was already enough preparation there to have Drew there doing the introductory segments of the special.  Nothing was mentioned during the special about naming anything at Haven for Bob.

More sad news from New York City...

NY1 anchor/reporter Ruschell Boone has lost a year-long battle with pancreatic cancer. She passed Sunday (9/3) at age 48.

This on the heels of the passing on Saturday (9/2) of Dr. Max Gomez, former medical correspondent for several stations in NYC and Philadelphia.

Edited by Big Rollo Smokes
  • Sad 5

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Even back in the 90s, CBS This Morning aired Arnold's "Shame on You" segments to a national audience, complete with the unforgettable intro and jingle, that ranks up there with Marvin Zindler's "Slime in the Ice Machine!".  CBS even produced several Shame On You hour-long collections of investigations across the country, including those done by Arnold Diaz.

Arnold was a trailblazer in using his brash style and presentation to get things out of people when they screwed others out of things.  He will be missed.

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

Seattle Television and KOMO 4 News are just the same without Chief Weathercaster, Steve Pool. Steve passed away this afternoon, his widow said it was early-onset Alzheimer's Disease. Condolences go out to his wife, his two daughters, and to his extended family at KOMO ABC 4. RIP Steve and Godspeed. Say hello to Kathi Geortzen from all of us here.

https://komonews.com/news/local/steve-pool-seattle-passes-away-long-battle-with-illness-komo-television-legend-weather-man-forecaster-meteorologist-western-washington-reporting-news-inspiration-features#

• Like 2
  • Sad 3

10 hours ago, VHSgoodiesWA said:

A shocker. RIP Steve. You will be forever missed. Grew up with him, Dan Lewis, Kathi Goertzen 😭

Same. Grew up watching them, as well as Jean, Dennis, Jeff & Lori over on KING and Steve, Susan, Harry & Tony over on KIRO.

• Like 1

I think I'm slightly younger than you...replace Harry on KIRO with his son Andy, Tony with Gaard Swanson, and Susan with Kristy Lee + Margo Myers. But somewhere I do have a baby picture where I point to Harry doing a WX report on the TV 🙂

Anyways, the thing I will remember most about Steve Pool is his friendly presence on TV. When KOMO started doing 4:00 news (with Mary Nam), Steve and Mary would try to guess the answer to the "question of the day"...usually a survey question. Often they would both get stumped. But it often involved chuckles and quips. Then he did his weather report just like a professional. Steve reminded us when to pull out the umbrella, when to expect school closures (i.e., if Seattle was getting an inch of snow or for heaven's sake, MORE), and when to pull out the sunscreen and go out to the beach, those 85 to 90 degree summer days.

KOMO was like his second home. He interned there while he was a student at UW in the mid-1970s. KOMO gave him the job in 1977 (sports/reporting), and he became chief meteorologist in 1984. One of those cases where a news personality didn't have to work his way up from little Bozeman or Parkersburg, up to mid-size, and finally to major-market...he stayed in Seattle, at KOMO, for his entire career, besides those 70+ times where he filled in for Spencer Christian on GMA because he was just THAT good at his job.

Don't forget to say hi to Ken Schram for us, Steve. I hope the weather is a perfect 75 and sunny up in Heaven. 😢

• Like 1