In Memoriam

jdcnow

WNBC News 4 New York just reported that longtime former WNBC meteorologist, Dr. Frank Field has died. He was 100 years old. It was announced on tonight’s 6pm newscast. It was a great tribute reported by Chuck Scarborough. I’d include a link, but doing a quick search I couldn’t find anything; not even on nbcnewyork.com!

• Sad 5

19 hours ago, WNPM Newswatch said:

WNBC News 4 New York just reported that longtime former WNBC meteorologist, Dr. Frank Field has died. He was 100 years old. It was announced on tonight’s 6pm newscast. It was a great tribute reported by Chuck Scarborough. I’d include a link, but doing a quick search I couldn’t find anything; not even on nbcnewyork.com!

At least he made it to being a centenarian (Betty White and Hugh Downs came within striking distance at 99 each, but couldn't get there).

Field in his prime (from a 1981 WNBC News 4 New York late edition, at the weather area talking to Chuck Scarborough):

frankfieldwnbc1981.png.13339e2e1c58753ac2eabe3d6952b091.png

Edited by bmasters1
  • Like 2

Just heard about this on the radio.  Longtime DFW anchor John Criswell has passed.  He anchored at WFAA for 17 years, then moved to KDFW and anchored there for 7 years.  Criswell is likely the most notable for starting WFAA's regular feature "Wednesday's Child", where a child is profiled who has been fostered and would like to eventually be adopted.  "Wednesday's Child" is still a weekly feature on WFAA.  Criswell was 83.

https://www.wfaa.com/amp/article/news/local/wfaa-anchor-john-criswell-dies/287-84a009b0-db4e-4457-a2f5-22416b476aba

Edited by east-tx-tv
Typo
  • Sad 4
  • Empathetic 1

This was already posted in the WCBS topic but might as well post it here: morning meteorologist Elise Finch has suddenly passed away.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VPXWRsRpOt4&pp=ygUMY2JzIG5ldyB5b3Jr

https://www.cbsnews.com/newyork/news/remembering-our-beloved-colleague-elise-finch/

Edited by ddaniels20
  • Sad 4

2 hours ago, ddaniels20 said:

This was already posted in the WCBS topic but might as well post it here: morning meteorologist Elise Finch has suddenly passed away.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VPXWRsRpOt4&pp=ygUMY2JzIG5ldyB5b3Jr

https://www.cbsnews.com/newyork/news/remembering-our-beloved-colleague-elise-finch/

Reminds me of Katherine Creag's passing just sudden and random with no visible indication. Very tragic.

On 7/14/2023 at 10:41 AM, east-tx-tv said:

Just heard about this on the radio.  Longtime DFW anchor John Criswell has passed.  He anchored at WFAA for 17 years, then moved to KDFW and anchored there for 7 years.  Criswell is likely the most notable for starting WFAA's regular feature "Wednesday's Child", where a child is profiled who has been fostered and would like to eventually be adopted.  "Wednesday's Child" is still a weekly feature on WFAA.  Criswell was 83.

https://www.wfaa.com/amp/article/news/local/wfaa-anchor-john-criswell-dies/287-84a009b0-db4e-4457-a2f5-22416b476aba

Sad! I remember many a time hearing (from YouTube) his billing in old WFAA Dallas openings of the 80s and 90s, one of which was for the News 8 Update late edition:

"It's 10:00, and this is WFAA-TV Channel 8. Working in the Spirit of Texas...this is the News 8 Update...with Tracy Rowlett...John Criswell...Troy Dungan with weather...and Dale Hansen on sports."

Edited by bmasters1
  • Sad 1

Just learned that Harold Crump, longtime general manager of WTVF Nashville, has passed away at age 91.  If I'm reading the obituary correctly Crump instituted the NewsChannel 5 ID; he did change the station's call letters from WLAC-TV to WTVF.  During Crump's years at NewsChannel 5 a few nationally syndicated shows were produced there: "Hee Haw," "Candid Camera," and "The Jimmy Dean Show."  WTVF is unique in that it is a CBS affiliate which is stronger in Nashville and its suburbs while NBC affiliate WSMV does better in the rural areas; this is the reverse of most markets where NBC tends to do better in the city and suburbs, while CBS does better in the countryside.  And frankly, NewsChannel 5 does seem more "big city" than does Channel 4.  An R.I.P. to Mr. Crump.

• Like 1

On 7/17/2023 at 2:02 PM, bpatrick said:

Criswell did the "A.M." show at 7 AM before "Good Morning America" took over the time slot.  From the looks of that intro, was this before or after Iola Johnson?

The A.M. show was before Iola, but he had to have been at WFAA during Iola's time there also.

Betty Ann Bruno, a child actor in "The Wizard of Oz" who later became a longtime TV reporter for KTVU in San Francisco, died Sunday. She was 91.

Betty Ann Bruno Dies: ‘Wizard Of Oz’ Munchkin Who Became Longtime Local TV Reporter Was 91 (msn.com)

Edited by H-Town TV Fan
  • Sad 1

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Georgie56 said:

Not TV news, but still important enough for this topic:

Bob Barker has passed away at 99 years old.

A legend for sure.  Spent many mornings during the summer, before college classes, even during work watching TPIR during the Barker era (He was still hosting during one of my old TV jobs).

This brings back the memory of 10TV's premiere of NightBeat.  More infamously known for the surprise appearance of wanted fugitive Donna Osborne who later turned herself into authorities after appearing on the show, Rod Roddy's passing was the same night and can be seen in the headlines pre-open.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cyS9ouDaO0o

• Sad 1

6 hours ago, Georgie56 said:

He was singlehandedly responsible, in the East at least, for CBS affiliates almost always dominating the noon hour because of the lead-in he provided. I’d say it fits here.

• Like 7

7 hours ago, Georgie56 said:

Whenever I was sick at home during my elementary and middle school years, The Price is Right was one of my favorite shows to watch. With his natural charisma, sharp wit, electric personality and almost-instant icon status, he was one of the reasons (if not the main reason) I watched and why the show was (and still is) an enduring hit of American television and touchstone of American popular culture. He (like Betty White) at 99 lived a long, beautiful life that will forever live on through his incredible career, the show and both of their enduring legacies. 

Condolences to his family.

May he rest in peace. 

• Like 2