In Memoriam

jdcnow

Sad news out of Atlanta tonight. Dave Michaels, a longtime news anchor for 11Alive, CNN and other outlets died this month at 88 years old.

His wife, Ann, contacted 11Alive on Friday and said he had passed away on Feb. 1 – after a long illness of Alzheimer's and congestive
heart failure. He was at home in hospice care at the time he died. Michaels worked at WXIA from 1976 to 1985.

• Sad 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Sad news out of Los Angeles, longtime KTTV news reporter Tony Valdez has passed away. I grew up watching him in Los Angeles for many years and he was a true Los Angeles Historian. Our condolences to his family. He will be missed.

Speaking of Paul Bloom, he worked at KHJ-TV in the 1980s, along with two other recently deceased anchors Tom Lawrence and Wendy Gordon.

• Sad 2

Newton Minow, the former FCC chairman who once coined television as a "vast wasteland" has died.

https://tvnewscheck.com/regulation/article/newton-minow-former-fcc-chief-who-dubbed-tv-a-vast-wasteland-dies/

During his time, he championed the passage of the All-channel receivers act, mandating that all televisions had the ability to receive the UHF band, as well as helping lay the groundwork for NET and later, PBS.

The "S.S. Minnow" on Gilligan's Island was coined after him, in jest to his "vast wasteland" remarks.  A minnow being a small fish, helped to make the name stick.

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

Former longtime WNEW/WNYW FOX 5 News anchor John Roland passed away. Condolences go out to The Roland Family and to his extended family at New York's FOX 5. RIP John and Godspeed. And say hello to Bill McCreary from all of us here. I know that they're now reunited in heaven and anchoring the news together again.

https://www.fox5ny.com/news/john-roland-fox-5-anchor-passes-away

17 minutes ago, TexasTVNews said:

Former longtime WNEW/WNYW FOX 5 News anchor John Roland passed away. Condolences go out to The Roland Family and to his extended family at New York's FOX 5. RIP John and Godspeed. And say hello to Bill McCreary from all of us here. I know that they're now reunited in heaven and anchoring the news together again.

https://www.fox5ny.com/news/john-roland-fox-5-anchor-passes-away

Here's his former co-anchor Rosanna Scotto with the report.

• Sad 4

• 2 weeks later...

A Salt Lake City news legend is gone. Dick Nourse the longtime anchor of KSL 5 (Eyewitness) News has passed away at the age of 83. Dick was a Utah Institution alongside weatherman Bob Welti and sportscaster Paul James and became the #1 rated news team in Salt Lake City. Nourse worked alongside many KSL legends like Shelly Thomas, Bruce Lindsay, Carole Mikita, Craig Bolerjack, Keith McCord and the list goes on and on. Prayers and condolences go out to the family of Dick Nourse and the staff and management of KSL 5 (Eyewitness) News at this challenging time.

https://ksltv.com/551381/tv-legend-and-longtime-ksl-anchor-dick-nourse-has-died-at-83/

Dick may your memory and legacy of SLC television news lives on in spirit and say hi to Welti and James from all of us here. RIP and Godspeed, you are in a better place.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
10 hours ago, tyrannical bastard said:

Pat Robertson, the founder of CBN has passed away at age 93.

https://apnews.com/article/pat-robertson-dead-christian-broadcasting-700-club-91299d0953c014ca6860fe545cac793e

Take this as you will, just so everyone sees this as they see fit, may he RIH.

Anyone wanna take bets on which "H" he's headed to? (Both of which are non-existant, but that's my opinion and Schwarzenegger's.)

But aside from the polarizing aspects of his political activism and religious mission, Pat Robertson should be remembered as a pioneer of religious television. CBN started with WYAH-TV (WGNT) in Hampton Roads, in 1961. WYAH was all-religious at the outset, though it evolved into a general-entertainment independent with a jones for censorship. The other three CBN TV stations–Robertson launched WHAE-TV (WANF) in Atlanta in 1971; bought KXTX-TV in Dallas in '73, and signed-on WXNE-TV (WFXT) in Boston in '77–followed that model until CBN broke up the group in the 1980s.

CBN also owned five Christian FM outlets, in Hampton Roads and a four-station network in upstate New York. 

And of course, there is the cable channel now known as Freeform, which much to ours and Disney's chagrin will be forced to carry Robertson's legacy, The 700 Club from now until the "Second Coming".

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Big Rollo Smokes said:

And of course, there is the cable channel now known as Freeform, which much to ours and Disney's chagrin will be forced to carry Robertson's legacy, The 700 Club from now until the "Second Coming".

I'm not entirely sure about that. It looks like CBN has a fairly well-developed streaming video service that's on multiple platforms, but it's hard to find any info about watching The 700 Club on broadcast or cable. In fact, I've only been able to find two mentions of Freeform -- one on the media kit page for the show, the other on a page that looks like it's not actively part of the site. As for broadcast stations, I think that's just TBN, where it airs mid-afternoon. I got the distinct feeling that CBN has minimized its dependency on Freeform, thus leaving the door open to leaving the channel. Which makes me wonder if Robertson himself was the main reason the show was still there.

Basically, I could see Disney paying CBN a not insignificant amount of money sometime in the next year to leave Freeform -- or at least drop one or two of the three airings.

• Sad 1

3 hours ago, mre29 said:

Basically, I could see Disney paying CBN a not insignificant amount of money sometime in the next year to leave Freeform -- or at least drop one or two of the three airings.

I would assume if they could they would have already.  With Robertson now gone, maybe CBN will be more receptive.

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

14 hours ago, NowBergen said:

I would assume if they could they would have already.  With Robertson now gone, maybe CBN will be more receptive.

I would hope so, but Gordon Robertson doesn't seem all that much different from his father in that regard.

But couldn't Disney simply sunset Freeform as a linear channel and convert it into a streaming-only service? That could be a way to get CBN out of their hair once and for all.

Edited by Big Rollo Smokes
  • Sad 1

• 2 weeks later...

Sad news out of Jacksonville. A First Coast weather legend is gone. Longtime WJXT Meteorologist George Winterling has passed away at the age pf 91. Winterling was WJXT's Chief Meteorologist from 1962 till his retirement in 2009. Prayers and condolences go out to the family of George Winterling and to his extended family at WJXT News4Jax (Formerly: Channel 4 Eyewitness News). RIP George, Godspeed, and say hi to Glen Wood (Woody) from all of us here.

https://www.news4jax.com/news/local/2023/06/22/longtime-meteorologist-george-winterling-dies-at-91/

https://www.firstcoastnews.com/article/weather/channel-4s-george-winterling-groundbreaking-tv-meteorologist-dies-wednesday/77-48b25f9f-16bf-4dc5-b806-53e5e64319d7

• Sad 1

• 2 weeks later...