In Memoriam

jdcnow

1 hour ago, tyrannical bastard said:

Jim Mueller, a WJ(K)W and WKYC sportscaster and Cleveland Browns color analyst from 1975-95 has passed away.

He was also a longtime spokesperson for (Ed) Mullinax Ford and Pat O'Brien Chevrolet.  I'm sure anyone growing up in Northeast Ohio remembers the jingle.

I don't see anything except for a few tweets.

He was also the PA Announcer at Browns games, but I know him best as the PA Announcer at ISC-owned tracks. Heard his voice numerous times at Michigan International Speedway. He was the pre-race track host and did things like announce the driver introductions. May he R.I.P.

18 hours ago, Newsjunkie24 said:

I don't see anything except for a few tweets.

He was also the PA Announcer at Browns games, but I know him best as the PA Announcer at ISC-owned tracks. Heard his voice numerous times at Michigan International Speedway. He was the pre-race track host and did things like announce the driver introductions. May he R.I.P.

Here's a link to a WKYC story.  He served as the prior sports director to Jim Donovan, after his time at WJKW.

https://www.wkyc.com/article/news/local/cleveland/wkyc-sports-anchor-cleveland-browns-broadcaster-jim-mueller-dies/95-c10bc1a0-4d5d-47d5-a636-26ccf0e11289

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

I imagine most of you saw that NFL hall-of-famer Len Dawson (Chiefs, KMBC-TV, HBO, etc.) died today at age 87. KMBC-TV is in the middle of an hour-long special about Dawson. You might check their website at a later time to see if they upload the whole thing.

• Sad 6

6 hours ago, mrschimpf said:

A sad and shocking loss at WAOW in Wausau – Their morning anchor, Neena Pacholke, died suddenly over the weekend.

3 hours ago, Briella said:

This should be moved to the In Memoriam thread

1 hour ago, SoFloTVClassics said:

Sad News, Bret lewis former WCKT/ WSVN Sports anchor has died, apparently, he had suffered some health issues awhile back, R.I.P. Bret lewis.

I remember Bret Lewis was the 10pm sports anchor at KDFW in the early 1980's before moving to South Florida's 7.

• 3 weeks later...

WWJ-AM 950 Detroit overnight anchor Jim Matthews and his family was attacked in their home in Chesterfield Township, Ill., in a murder and attempted suicide. Jim passed away, while the other victims are still recovering from their injuries. He was 57 years old. Here's a report from Fox 2 Detroit.

Here is WWJ Radio's report

https://www.audacy.com/wwjnewsradio/news/local/wwj-overnight-anchor-jim-matthews-died-today-at-age-57

Edited by NYTV
  • Sad 3

WNEM TV5 Weekend anchor and reporter Faith Gantner passed away after an 11-month battle with blood cancer. Prayers and condolences to out

to Faith's family and her extended family at TV5 News. Godspeed, Faith... and say hi to Sam Merrill from all of us here.

https://www.wnem.com/2022/09/29/former-tv5-reporter-weekend-anchor-dies-after-battling-cancer/

• Sad 1

Former tv news director and executive Al Primo, credited with conceiving the Eyewitness News format for Group W in Cleveland and Philadelphia, and then perfecting it at ABC in New York, has passed at age 87.

Here's the story from WABC-TV, where Primo served as ND and where his creation attained perhaps its greatest and longest-lasting success.

(Note [9:52 PM ET]: the story contains an incorrect reference to Stu Nahan and Bill Bonds launching Eyewitness News in NYC in '69, which they did–but in LA. I've already reported this to WABC-TV and hopefully, they'll dig deeper into their own history and make the necessary corrections rather than cut-and-paste from another source.)

(EDIT [12:35 AM ET, 9/30]: Said corrections have been made.)

Edited by Big Rollo Smokes
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 7

4 hours ago, Big Rollo Smokes said:

Former tv news director and executive Al Primo, credited with creating the Eyewitness News format for Group W in Cleveland and Philadelphia, and then perfecting it at ABC in New York, has passed at age 87.

Here's the story from WABC-TV, where Primo served as ND and where his creation attained perhaps its greatest success.

(Note [9:52 PM ET]: the story contains a incorrect reference to Stu Nahan and Bill Bonds launching Eyewitness News in NYC in '69, which they did–but in LA. I've already reported this to WABC-TV and hopefully, they'll dig deeper into their own history and make the necessary corrections rather than cut-and-paste from another source.)

(EDIT [12:35 AM ET, 9/30]: Said corrections have been made.)

It would be Al rolling in his grave if KYW dumps Eyewitness News at least CBS let them keep the it and incorporated in to it.  “CBS Eyewitness News Philadelphia” or at least have reporters announce it at the end of live shots. This is so sad and it’s an blasphemy station are dumping it. Especially legendary Fox stations FOX5 Atlanta or Fox 2 Detroit. Since it started at CBS. And perfected in ABC.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

46 minutes ago, Gavin M. said:

It would be Al rolling in his grave if KYW dumps Eyewitness News at least CBS let them keep the it and incorporated in to it.  “CBS Eyewitness News Philadelphia” or at least have reporters announce it at the end of live shots. This is so sad and it’s an blasphemy station are dumping it. Especially legendary Fox stations FOX5 Atlanta or Fox 2 Detroit. Since it started at CBS. And perfected in ABC.

Quick history lesson: when KYW-TV launched Eyewitness News, the station was in Cleveland and an NBC affiliate. Networks have nothing to do with local news branding, at least back then.

• Thanks 1

15 hours ago, Gavin M. said:

Wasn't KYW a NBC station back then?  It was the old Group W stations that carried the Eyewitness News moniker.  Once Westinghouse bought CBS, all their NBC stations switched affiliations.

• Like 1

On 9/28/2022 at 8:27 PM, VHSgoodiesWA said:

He was on CBS for so long...did the Sunday Night News in the early-mid '90s, and was a chief correspondent through multiple presidents. This came out of left field, especially with the hurricane going on. RIP Bill. 

Was recently thinking about how long Bill had lasted with the network, surprised to hear of his passing. What a legend! RIP