In Memoriam

jdcnow

• 2 weeks later...
18 hours ago, Georgie56 said:

Washington TV staple Bruce Johnson has passed away.

Sad day in the Washington news world 

Regarding Bruce, I want to say that when he retired from WUSA he was the last person left from the WTOP era at that station. 

• Sad 3

On 4/4/2022 at 4:56 PM, WAVY 10 Fan said:

Sad day in the Washington news world 

Regarding Bruce, I want to say that when he retired from WUSA he was the last person left from the WTOP era at that station. 

So very true. May he rest in peace.

• Like 1

Jim Ramsey, longtime weather anchor and reporter at WGN-TV for 30 years from 1987 to 2017 (and whose career in Chicago began at WLS-TV years before), has died at the age of 69.

As someone who watched him regularly growing up on the former WGN superstation feed, all I can say is… we’ll miss you, Jim.

Edited by T.L. Hughes
  • Sad 14

On 3/18/2022 at 2:25 PM, east-tx-tv said:

True also spent time in the Albuquerque market, starting with KOB-TV in the late 1970s. (He is featured in this newscast air check from April 1980.) True was fired from KOB-TV in the summer of '80, apparently on a suggestion of a consulting firm, but resurfaced at KGGM-TV (KRQE) and stayed there until the end of 1987.

Edited by Big Rollo Smokes

10 hours ago, abric said:

It has been a tough few weeks for the Washington DMA. First we lose Bruce, now Wendy. I know they are at peace now.

Renee Poussiant from WJLA also passed away back in March, as did 'JLA's former chief meteorologist Doug Hill last November.

I just felt like stopping by and dropping some thoughts that have been on my mind --

The serious pain of seeing faces you sort of almost felt like you were friends with after watching the news as often as I did in 2020 (the pandemic has seriously warped my concept of time) and then to see them suddenly suffering from glioblastoma and get wrenched away from our presence has been absolutely heart-wrenching. I do not actually live in Atlanta or DC but I fell into a bit of a "local national" news-watching binge during the height of COVID and the unrest that happened later that summer, and Jovita Moore and Wendy Rieger were two of the few anchors that really stuck out to me from that time. They were so calm, composed, and very straightforward, but still had that unique delivery in their onscreen presence. There were moments that just resonate with me (among much reminiscing) - Jovita's absolute calm in the marathon evening session on the first night of Atlanta protests with Jorge or just delivering night after night amid the absolute frenzy of the Georgia elections. Also, Wendy delivering the 5PM in that position she's held for so many years solo at that very desk carried more meaning than ever. And to go through and recover from heart surgery all during that time in 2020; what a freakin' warrior. That very tender heart-to-heart conversation she had with Doreen post-retirement about the direction she wanted to pave for herself and how excited she was to embark on a new chapter was so meaningful because they knew each other for so long and recognized the significance of that moment in their careers and lives. They are simply two local legends (among many that have also tragically left us during this time) who were taken way, way too soon from us in such unforgiving and painful fashion, and that heartbreak is just exacerbated by the fact that this pandemic is still lingering on with us, continuing to warp our collective sense of societal reality. They will be sorely missed.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Kent Dana has died. He was 80.

https://www.azcentral.com/story/entertainment/media/2022/04/19/kent-dana-legendary-anchor-three-phoenix-tv-news-stations-dies/7362375001/

He developed an infection after breaking his hip in January, according to his son Joe, and his condition deteriorated after several weeks in the hospital.

• Sad 7

This has been an exceedingly difficult time for Washington DC TV News with the loss of Doug, Renee, Bruce, and now Wendy. But another WRC, WNBC alumni and former anchor of the Today show Jim Hartz passed away last weekend at the age of 82.

https://deadline.com/2022/04/jim-hartz-dead-today-show-host-barbara-walters-in-mid-1970s-was-82-obituary-1235008872/

• Sad 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Sad news for the ABC family.

Walter Liss, former GM of WABC and later becoming the president of the ABC Owned Television stations, passed away earlier this week. He was 78.

He started as a promotions manager at WPVI. Some of you might not know that he was credited for writing the lyrics to Al Ham's iconic "Move Closer To Your World" theme song.

Before going to Channel 7, he was also GM of Fresno's KFSN.

Edited by CircleSeven
  • Sad 1