Jump to content
×
×
  • Create New...

Recommended Posts

9 hours ago, CircleSeven said:

 

All I can say is wow! I feel this like 2009-2010 all over again. 20+ petitions filed on the same day? Damn!

 

Channel substitutions were happening after the DTV transaction, when many vacated off the problematic VHF signals and move to UHF. Then all that ended when they reinforced the freeze in 2011, in anticipation of the forthcoming (and now completed) spectrum auction and repack.

 

With the freeze lifted completely, this may not be the last of those substitution filings.......

 

Yeah, it was Gray and Sinclair that were ready day one.

 

ATSC 3.0 was hailed as an improvement for low-V and high-V, but it instead seems that the thought of mobile reception is sending broadcasters flocking to Us. Even if they have to buy other stations to do it (see KMPX).

 

I have no idea why WAOE wants to change COLs (there's no facilities change and it's in the same DMA, allegedly).

 

One of the mods was interesting on the Nexstar side: WDVM wants to move south—and closer to DC.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 885
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Chairman Pai announced he will be leaving the agency on January 20.

Good riddance. What a vile creature.

Good Riddance!

Posted Images

On 11/27/2020 at 1:28 PM, Samantha said:

I hope you like rulemaking applications, because there are a bunch of them in the FCC today as the TV modifications freeze ends after 16 years!

 

News-producing/airing:

KAIT: 8 to 27

KBOI: 9 to 20

KECI: 13 to 20

KCRG: 9 to 32

KFVS: 11 to 32

KHGI: 13 to 18

KHQA: 7 to 22

KRCG: 12 to 29

KRCR: 7 to 15

KTVL: 10 to 16

KTVM: 6 to 20

KVAL: 13 to 28

KVII: 7 to 20

WCYB: 5 to 30

WFXL: 12 to 29

WLUK: 12 to 18

WMC: 5 to 30

WRDW: 12 to 27

WRGB: 6 to 35

WTOC: 11 to 23

 

Non-news:

KHSV: 2 to 21

WAOE: COL to Oswego IL

WLMB: 5 to 35

Most of the VHF Channels are moving from a VHF digital channel to a UHF digital channel. Now that the “freeze “ has lifted. Are more likely ahead.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/27/2020 at 1:28 PM, Samantha said:

I hope you like rulemaking applications, because there are a bunch of them in the FCC today as the TV modifications freeze ends after 16 years!

 

News-producing/airing:

KAIT: 8 to 27

KBOI: 9 to 20

KECI: 13 to 20

KCRG: 9 to 32

KFVS: 11 to 32

KHGI: 13 to 18

KHQA: 7 to 22

KRCG: 12 to 29

KRCR: 7 to 15

KTVL: 10 to 16

KTVM: 6 to 20

KVAL: 13 to 28

KVII: 7 to 20

WCYB: 5 to 30

WFXL: 12 to 29

WLUK: 12 to 18

WMC: 5 to 30

WRDW: 12 to 27

WRGB: 6 to 35

WTOC: 11 to 23

 

Non-news:

KHSV: 2 to 21

WAOE: COL to Oswego IL

WLMB: 5 to 35

 

Some of them make real good sense, while others like KECI, KTVL and KVAL really don't make much sense. They will lose some of their coverage area and will need fill-in translators. Mountainous areas are better in VHF.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Samantha said:

I have no idea why WAOE wants to change COLs (there's no facilities change and it's in the same DMA, allegedly).

Likely a bump into the Chicago market...they'll keep the facility, and then spring an application to transmit from Willis or one of the western Chicagoland AM towers once it's approved. Currently they're just north of that little jut of La Salle County where WWTO fought for years to get Chicago cable access before eventually getting a spectrum share in town to get it.

 

Yet more unshocking hijinks from Venture Technologies (note WAOE dumped its MyNet affiliation and shows to go paid 24/7, so it's literally a non-factor in Peoria right now).

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, CircleSeven said:

Chairman Pai announced he will be leaving the agency on January 20.

Meanwhile on the same day Pai announced his departure, Jessica Rosenworcel is being pursued as the top leading candidate to lead as Chairman of the FCC.

 

Given Rosenworcel's past comments about Sinclair's antics with the Trib deal I just.. can't imagine this being good news for Sinclair.

 

Edited by dman748
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/8/2020 at 1:21 PM, Samantha said:

Radiant Life Ministries is acquiring a slice of San Francisco TV spectrum.

 

They are buying KTNC Concord CA from NRJ for $7.75 million. KTNC broadcasts two subchannels (Sonlife and Canal de la Fe) on a transmitter shared with RNN's KCNS (which was bought from NRJ last year) and HC2's KEMO.

This one is done. Completed Monday (11/30). 

 

WZME in Bridgeport, CT is the only NRJ station that's left......

Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, dman748 said:

Meanwhile on the same day Pai announced his departure, Jessica Rosenworcel is being pursued as the top leading candidate to lead as Chairman of the FCC.

 

Given Rosenworcel's past comments about Sinclair's antics with the Trib deal I just.. can't imagine this being good news for Sinclair.

 

There are much more important things to worry about than Sinclair, net neutrality being top of the list IMO.

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites

Okay, going back to the PRMs.

 

I'm looking at the contours of both proposed changes of KECI & KTVM in Montana. Both are asking to change to RF 20. 

 

There's a portion where both signals will overlap.

 

Would it be difficult for viewers getting either one of these signals, if both are on the same frequency?

_______________

 

New Petition. KMYU in Utah wants to move from 9 to 21.

 

Edited by CircleSeven
Link to post
Share on other sites

Buried in the "Black Friday" dump, Gray filed two new PRMs, each asking for new allotments.

I went in detail on the proposed Freeport allotment in the Gray thread.

 

I'll also mention (even though this was before the dump) that University of Missouri filed to move KOMU from VHF 8 to UHF 27.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/26/2020 at 12:26 AM, CircleSeven said:

WLII Caguas, and its satellite outlets WOLE Aguadilla, WSUR Ponce & W21CX-D Mayaguez is being sold to Liberman Media Group for $1M.

 

Little follow up. 

 

The FCC greenlighted the WLII deal to Liberman on Thursday (12/10).

 

This means that Univision acquisition by Searchlight Capital & ForgeLight Investors should be approved soon.

 

The two firms would have majority interest in Univision. While Grupo Televisa will keep the remaining stake.

 

The FTC appears to have cleared the deal earlier this week.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/12/2020 at 12:26 AM, CircleSeven said:

 

Little follow up. 

 

The FCC greenlighted the WLII deal to Liberman on Thursday (12/10). 

according to tapatalk's Puerto Rico forums, its promos no longer identify as "univision puerto rico" only 'univision'. I wonder is it just coincidence or some changes to come? Perhaps simplify branding as 'Univision'. Examples: 

 

https://www.facebook.com/367675533729/videos/200906951623036 

https://www.facebook.com/367675533729/videos/2325310110948357

Edited by justin2kx
Link to post
Share on other sites

FCC has granted Fox another temporary waiver for NJ's WWOR-TV + New York Post rather than permanent due to legal limbo re: its newspaper/broadcast cross-ownership rule. 

https://www.nexttv.com/news/fcc-grants-fox-another-temporary-waiver-for-wwor-tvnew-york-post 

 

Questions:

1.If its newspaper/broadcast rule eventually dismantles + FOX has to put up WWOR, will WWOR survive as is (under new owner) or basically merge into WNYW + be broadcast virtually from NYW's stick. ("my9" on 5.3?) Where could My9 go if so?

 

2. What final resolution you think it'd be made on the cross-ownership rule? What has been the holdup?

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, justin2kx said:

FCC has granted Fox another temporary waiver for NJ's WWOR-TV + New York Post rather than permanent due to legal limbo re: its newspaper/broadcast cross-ownership rule. 

https://www.nexttv.com/news/fcc-grants-fox-another-temporary-waiver-for-wwor-tvnew-york-post 

 

Questions:

1.If its newspaper/broadcast rule eventually dismantles + FOX has to put up WWOR, will WWOR survive as is (under new owner) or basically merge into WNYW + be broadcast virtually from NYW's stick. ("my9" on 5.3?) Where could My9 go if so?

 

2. What final resolution you think it'd be made on the cross-ownership rule? What has been the holdup?

How is this still an issue, since News Corporation is a separate company from "New Fox?"  Is it the fact that the Murdoch family is still involved in both?

 

Or is it tied to WWOR's license in Secaucus and the un-doing by Fox of it's New Jersey focus and operations?

Edited by tyrannical bastard
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, tyrannical bastard said:

How is this still an issue, since News Corporation is a separate company from "New Fox?"  Is it the fact that the Murdoch family is still involved in both?

 

Or is it tied to WWOR's license in Secaucus and the un-doing by Fox of it's New Jersey focus and operations?

 

No it has nothing to do with the WWOR's NJ License. 

 

Even though "New Fox" & "News Corp." are two separate companies, both are still controlled by the Murdochs.

 

When Pai eliminated the Newspaper-Broadcast Cross-Ownership (NBCO) rule (part of that dereg rule he had in 2017), the Murdochs didn't need to ask for a waiver. But when the Third Circuit vacated & remand Pai's dereg measure in the fall of 2019, it reinstated the NBCO rule, thus them asking for a permanent waiver this time. 

 

Even though it already had a permanent waiver to keep the Post & WNYW (since 1993), it didn't have one for The Post & WWOR, even though it granted them temporary waivers on three occasions (2001, 2006 & 2014).

 

I guess the reason why they gave them this temp waiver this time, they're basically saying lets wait until the outcome of the media ownership case in the Supreme Court. So for example, if SCOTUS rule that the NBCO stays, then the temporary waiver will stay active for 180 days after ruling. If its the other way around and they rule NBCO no longer needed, then the Murdochs would keep Fox 5, My 9 & the Post.

 

Pai could've easily granted them a permanent waiver. But I think he's banking on a Republican-controlled SCOTUS to rule in their favor so the court can put an end to the NBCO once and for all.

Edited by CircleSeven
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. By using TVNewsTalk you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy.