At the FCC

CircleSeven

New M&A. Weigel has made TWO more buys.

They're acquiring L.A. "spectrum-less" station KAZA from Southern California License, LLC for $9M.

They're also getting St. Louis religious station, KNLC from for $3.75M.

Looks like this may just be a warm-up for them. If so, then it'll be interesting to see where they strike next.

I'm calling it now. They may end up with KUBE/Houston. MAY.

Or maybe they want to try to take FOX away from KTVI if it is kept by Sinclair?

Weigel could do that. They've proven themselves great at running major network stations in addition to independents. Granted, WDJT and WBND aren't exactly #1, but you have to give them credit for not throwing in the towel or constantly shaking things up and relaunching constantly. Under them, KNLC would make a fine Fox or ABC affiliate.

• Like 3

There's nothing stopping Weigel from taking Azteca off (or keeping the affiliation), and plug-in their own networks, but they do have the experience running a Spanish-language station. However, Milwaukee isn't Los Angeles, where's four other network-owned Spanish stations, and a fifth one (KWHY) that's an indie, plus the multiple Spanish subchannels elsewhere across the L.A. dial.

One thing is certain though...as soon as the Me-TV (KDOC/KVME) and Heroes & Icons (KCOP) affiliations are done, the current junk pay-for-pray subchannels on KAZA will disappear, and the Weigel diginets (at least those two) will be plugged-in. Weigel also has the joint ventures with CBS (Decades) and Fox (Movies!), but I think those subchannels are staying put where they are (KCBS 2.2 and KCOP 13.3, respectively).

I always saw Weigel (or even Hearst/Nexstar/One of the major companies) buying KDOC. It could still happen, and I'd actually still be shocked when it does.

New M&A. Weigel has made TWO more buys.

They're acquiring L.A. "spectrum-less" station KAZA from Southern California License, LLC for $9M.

They're also getting St. Louis religious station, KNLC from for $3.75M.

I wonder whether Weigel has ever called Qunicy as to inquire as to whether WSJV was available as to possible return ABC to its original South Bend home and to full power status in Michiana.

As for KNLC, aren't they a religious station at the moment? Would Weigel have to reprogram that station from scratch?

In KAZA's case, this will finally put Pappas out of the TV business competely, moreover, it appears that they'll be sharing with KHTV-CD, which will warrant a COL change as the KHTV-CD signal does NOT reach Avalon.

• Like 4

I'll be honest, I'm going to really miss KNLC. It's been such a fascinating anachronism since it signed on. No matter when and what I've tuned in over the years, the station seemed like it was at least fifteen years behind the times. Still, Larry Rice always had his heart in the right place (if not his broadcast acumen), and this is $3,750,000 that his ministry can certainly use. Also, Weigel seems a decent owner, so I'm looking forward to what they do with the station.

I'll be honest, I'm going to really miss KNLC. It's been such a fascinating anachronism since it signed on. No matter when and what I've tuned in over the years, the station seemed like it was at least fifteen years behind the times. Still, Larry Rice always had his heart in the right place (if not his broadcast acumen), and this is $3,750,000 that his ministry can certainly use. Also, Weigel seems a decent owner, so I'm looking forward to what they do with the station.

I'm sure it fascinated Fox Kids viewers in 1994 when it asked kids to write to the governor of Missouri to halt a planned execution.

• Like 2

Looks like KBEH will be selling the station to the owners of KWHY after all......

WLLZ-LP is being sold to WMNN-LD (MI News 26) owner Freelancer Television Broadcasting.

http://licensing.fcc.gov/cgi-bin/ws.exe/prod/cdbs/pubacc/prod/app_det.pl?Application_id=1766914

Do note that WLLZ is still analog.

WMNN runs a 24 hour news channel, so this buy could mean an expansion of OTA coverage.

• Like 1

In KAZA's case, this will finally put Pappas out of the TV business competely, moreover, it appears that they'll be sharing with KHTV-CD, which will warrant a COL change as the KHTV-CD signal does NOT reach Avalon.

Actually, Pappas sold KAZA in 2010 to former Pappas CEO Dennis Davis, through a company called SCTV, Inc. Azteca continued to carry a 20% interest of the station until the end of 2015, when Davis took the remaining interest.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Entravision announced on Thursday that it and Univision had extended their existing business arrangements through 2026.

Univision not only has affiliation agreements with Entravision, but it lets ECC run some of its stations under several JSAs, and Univision negotiates many of Entravision's retrans agreements on its behalf (where only Entravision owns stations).

It is worth noting that the extension from 2021 to 2026 does not cover Entravision's deals to run the Orlando, Tampa, and Washington DC Univision clusters. UCI may be preparing to take control of those markets itself. It will be business as usual through 2026 in Albuquerque, Boston and Denver.

Entravision announced on Thursday that it and Univision had extended their existing business arrangements through 2026.

Univision not only has affiliation agreements with Entravision, but it lets ECC run some of its stations under several JSAs, and Univision negotiates many of Entravision's retrans agreements on its behalf (where only Entravision owns stations).

It is worth noting that the extension from 2021 to 2026 does not cover Entravision's deals to run the Orlando, Tampa, and Washington DC Univision clusters. UCI may be preparing to take control of those markets itself. It will be business as usual through 2026 in Albuquerque, Boston and Denver.

Entravision. their the same company that owns Radio stations here in Sacramento.

for example KHHM Hot 103.5. this probably also applies to radio as well unless its just Television.

• Like 4

This makes me wonder why Univision bought WBIN then extended this agreement. Why own two stations when neither is your flagship network?

Entravision. their the same company that owns Radio stations here in Sacramento.

for example KHHM Hot 103.5. this probably also applies to radio as well unless its just Television.

Entravision and Univision own many competing radio clusters. Between the two they account for most of the popular Spanish-language radio stations in Phoenix.

Sorry to double post but I just noticed two things on this report from TVNewsCheck. They make me interesting.

One... WWDP is being bought by WRNN-TV. I wonder what for?

Two... WIMP-CD 25 in Miami, one of those rimshot stations that nobody watches in South Florida, is being bought by South Florida PBS, the owners of WPBT 2 and WXEL-TV 42.

http://www.tvnewscheck.com/article/108014/station-trading-roundup-5-deals-299m

I have a feeling though that WIMP-CD will be converted into yet, another PBS station for the Miami market. Either that or become the home of other subchannel networks, one of which could be seen into the main WIMP-CD signal. Either that or it can take the U.F. or Milwaukee PBS way... provide a 24-hour non-commercial local weather channel.

Goodbye WUSF-TV 16. The public television station has officially signed off for good. This is the first video of the sign off with the legendary classic words, Goodnight and Good Luck:

It's expected to become WEDQ shortly though I don't know if WEDU will put programming there.

• Like 4