At the FCC

CircleSeven

The article also explains why Beartooth NBC (Helena, Montana) hasn't been sold yet, and this makes sense:

The article also says that first in succession in the event of Rogers's death is his wife Beverly, then Nevada's state colleges. Would the University of Nevada system actually want to operate a television station? I'm not sure of the size/quality of UNLV's journalism program, either, and I wouldn't expect them to pull a KOMU in a market that large.

Quality of the Greenspun school is no where close to that of the Mizzou program. Why do you think a lot of people who are in the business or want to be move to Missouri just to attend J-school? Mizzou is one of the best J-schools in the country and I would've attended it if it wasn't so expensive out-of-state.

Anyways I honestly think his wife would continue to maintain the station but UNLV would not. The station is Sinclair's to lose.

The station is also overstaffed for that market and the product they put out. Jim only bought the station in the first place because KORK-TV, KSNV's predecessor, pre-empted too many network shows in the 70s...

But first, I think KTVH will be sold before they do anything with KSNV. I doubt they want to have any other stations outside of Vegas on their backs. I strongly thought they would keep Reno (you know who's buying that cluster). So it's only a matter of time before they unload Beartooth. I just hope it wo't be too long.

As for Channel 3, it's going to have to be an owner that would likely follow Rogers' current philosophy, as he plans to dump synidicate programming within the next two seasons (by 2016), and basically run local news/programming throughout daytime in the non-network hours. I doubt any big owners would want a station without some sort of syndicated fare. I was even thinking that once this NBC deal is done for, and with the plan to dump the rest of the syndie shows, could they possibly dump the network itself when the deal expires? Whatever it is, I don't think a prominent station group company would want a station that airs just the news & local programming, without a balance of other shows (network/syndie, etc.).

But first, I think KTVH will be sold before they do anything with KSNV. I doubt they want to have any other stations outside of Vegas on their backs. I strongly thought they would keep Reno (you know who's buying that cluster). So it's only a matter of time before they unload Beartooth. I just hope it wo't be too long.

As for Channel 3, it's going to have to be an owner that would likely follow Rogers' current philosophy, as he plans to dump synidicate programming within the next two seasons (by 2016), and basically run local news/programming throughout daytime in the non-network hours. I doubt any big owners would want a station without some sort of syndicated fare. I was even thinking that once this NBC deal is done for, and with the plan to dump the rest of the syndie shows, could they possibly dump the network itself when the deal expires? Whatever it is, I don't think a prominent station group company would want a station that airs just the news & local programming, without a balance of other shows (network/syndie, etc.).

Nonsense, new owner can dump the extra news and restore the syndies. I still think Sinclair is the favorite for this station (maybe the ones in Montana too).

Nonsense, new owner can dump the extra news and restore the syndies.

Not when those said syndies move to other stations. They would have to get new syndies then. Certainly they won't get Wheel and Jeopardy back.

The station is Sinclair's to lose.

I still think Sinclair is the favorite for this station (maybe the ones in Montana too).

I know he just sold Nevada's capital territory (KRNV/KENV) to these devils. And those fools are probably the one the beat for KSNV (although I personally don't buy it for a second). But it would be a somber day if Jim or his wife sell channel 3 to these heathens.

And who would want little Helena anyway. I would say let Bonten link up NBC Montana stations and join that grid. Or if Bonten is willing to sell the cluster, give it to Frontier and link KTVH to KECI/KCFW/KTVM.

Alrighty y'all. First full business day of 2014 and we have a slew of paperwork.

EDIT 11:09am/EST TVNewsCheck state that Frontier will acquire Sainte Partners' last station, Eureka's CBS station, KVIQ for $1.25M.

Follow Up Time!!!

The KVIQ paperwork is up. As it was said before, Frontier (through another subsidiary Redwood Television Partners) will buy KVIQ from Sainte Partners for $1.25M. But also, Frontier is currently operating KVIQ under a local marketing agreement, while it awaits the FCC to greenlight this deal.

Since they're going to be a real silent partner, Cowles might as well hang it up in Cali. They're probably going to be there in the interim (since both KEYT 3 & KCOY 12 are full-power stations). And then maybe some weeks or months post-consummation, NPG's shell buddies, VistaWest is going to snag KCOY from under them.

........And speaking of the devil, VistaWest will indeed snag KCOY for $1.175M. I knew Cowles weren't going to keep that one for long, as they're focused on Washington & Montana. The news director of KEYT stated from this Noozhawk piece, what his plans are for the merged KEYT/KCOY ops.

Let's hope that this won't be an extremely lengthy wait, since Wheeler is vowed to looked closely into these shared arrangements. I think it was a good call on NPG to not include the KCOY thing to VistaWest, while trying to get NPG for the other Cowles Cali stations. If they would've done that, the FCC probably wouldn't have greenlighted the deal as a whole right away.

It has always been a commercial station, but it has been used for non-commerical purposes. The only noncommercial station in the market is KLUJ.

It probably would've been a very hard sell if KMBH was to convert to a commercial license, if that station was in a non-commercial allotment. So it probably wouldn't be too much of a long process. Remember Pittsburgh's WQEX wanted to reconvert its license to commercial after WQED wanted to dump it. But that took eons. Eventually the conversion happened, and its now an ION station (as WINP).

At the Federal Communications Commission, SSAs are going under closer scrutiny, says chairman Tom Wheeler:

http://www.tvnewscheck.com/article/73226/wheeler-vows-to-take-closer-look-at-ssas

A little Follow Up.......

TVNewsCheck said today that many communications attorneys are stating that the FCC is postponed any new station sale applications, (including those with sharing arrangements), until Wheeler decides on what he's going to do with those kinds of deals in the future. The folks at the FCC isn't commenting on the "rumored" hold.

So It looks like Wheeler appeared to have "walked the walk" somewhat. I'm not too sure what his future plans on with these applications are going to be. But this is not good news for the broadcasters who have been waiting on some of the deals for a while. Not just the Allbritton deal, the Nexstar-ComCorp deal is the oldest app at over 8 months (5/6/13).

As of now, the only station sale in this calender year have been greenlighted by the FCC so far have been the WMGM sale (1/7/14).

TVNewsCheck states today that the WMGM sale to LocusPoint Networks closed today.

Also, B&C states that two Los Angeles TV stations, PBS member station KLCS and Independent station & LATV flagship station KJLA have agreed to this "Channel Sharing Pilot Program" to see if two channels can share the same frequency.

Listen, we know a frequency can show two (or multiple) streams, even HD streams. That doesn't mean the picture quality will be as good. This is the reason why broadcasters show hold on to your channels and not participate, because this is what the FCC wants you to do. Broadcasters have spent eons of money and capital during the 2009 digital transition, and they have to do this repacking all over again post-auctions. I hope these major broadcasters don't follow through and sell their frequency and move to someone else's frequency so both channels have mediocre quality. It won't matter to the "speculators" because they are there to buy more "lowest-to-the-totem-pole" rated channels so they can be be the first to sell those airspaces in a heartbeat to the FCC.

We have one M&A tonight.

Remember Thomas Abraham, who tried unsuccesfully to block that KSWT deal from Brady?

It appears that Abraham will be buying KFXP from Compass Communications for $350K. KFXP use to be operated by Sunbelt-owned NBC affiliate KPVI. The station has been silent since last Summer. The one thing I did not see is a SSA/JSA paperwork. So I doubt there will be a sharing arrangement between KFXP and KPVI, which Frontier is awaiting for that greenlight from the FCC.

On that same APA, Abraham is also buying two LP stations in Beaumont, TX for $250K.

TVNewsCheck is reporting that Excalibur Broadcasting has agreed to purchase WQCW in Charleston, WV from Lockwood Broadcasting and will enter into an SSA with Gray's WSAZ. Maybe Gray can produce a decent newscast on WQCW,

Follow-Up Time!!!

It appears that Gray will acquire WQCW outright for that same $5.5M purchase. Gray has also formed a LMA with WQCW (which went into effect on February 1st) while it awaits the FCC to greenlight the deal. Gray states on the app that WQCW is not within the top-four highest rated stations, and it will still be eight equal voices in the market.

Well we have the second and third FCC approvals of the year, which happened on Monday.

First, the Roberts Broadcasting stations WZRB, WRBU and WAZE going to that "Broadcast Trust" was greenlighted by the FCC.

Also, the FCC also greenlighted Boston Venture's last Smith Media station WKTV to Bob Prather's Heartland Media.

E. W. Scripps Company is now in talks with Granite Broadcasting about the possibility of buying two Granite broadcasting stations. We don't know which stations Scripps is buying, but

I have a hunch it would be WKBW/Buffalo, and the second Granite TV Station; we'll have to figure that out.

http://www.mediabistro.com/tvspy/scripps-talking-to-granite-about-buying-two-stations_b115093

http://www.granitetv.com/station

E. W. Scripps Company is now in talks with Granite Broadcasting about the possibility of buying two Granite broadcasting stations. We don't know which stations Scripps is buying, but

I have a hunch it would be WKBW/Buffalo, and the second Granite TV Station; we'll have to figure that out.

http://www.mediabistro.com/tvspy/scripps-talking-to-granite-about-buying-two-stations_b115093

Almost certain in my mind that it's WMYD.

My guess is that the second is WMYD, which would form a duopoly with WXYZ.

No other Granite station is interesting enough to Scripps.

(did not see NewsMaster's above post)

WTVH in Syracuse is another possibility....especially if Sinclair is forced to eventually unwind or discontinue the SSA with WSTM.

Otherwise, WMYD and WKBW seem to be likely candidates...anyone else would seem far-fetched. This could put WMYD under local control unlike their arrangement with WPTA/WISE in Fort Wayne, and resurrect a LOCALLY PRODUCED 10pm newscast produced by WXYZ....and anyone could do a better job of running WKBW than Granite!

What would Scripps' interest in these stations even be?

A little Follow Up.......

TVNewsCheck said today that many communications attorneys are stating that the FCC is postponed any new station sale applications, (including those with sharing arrangements), until Wheeler decides on what he's going to do with those kinds of deals in the future. The folks at the FCC isn't commenting on the "rumored" hold.

Okay, B&C stated yesterday that sources around the FCC is expecting Wheeler to put on his agenda in next month's FCC meeting that he would be placing a proposal that would make "joint sales agreements" (JSAs) for more than 15% of a station's ad inventory attributible to attributable as ownership under FCC local ownership limits. Also with this proposal, the existing JSAs wouldn't be grandfathered, but could give stations with existing JSAs two years to unwind them.

The meeting won't include making "shared services agreements" (SSAs) or any other form of sharing arrangements attributable, but it will ask for input on how they should treat those other arrangements.

He also said that he won't loosen up the crossownership ban between a TV station and a newspaper, something former Chairman Julius Genachowski was proposing in his 2010 quadrennial review.

Meanwhile, the NAB made a pitch to the FCC this week to defending those JSA/SSAs.

Okay, B&C stated yesterday that sources around the FCC is expecting Wheeler to put on his agenda in next month's FCC meeting that he would be placing a proposal that would make "joint sales agreements" (JSAs) for more than 15% of a station's ad inventory attributible to attributable as ownership under FCC local ownership limits. Also with this proposal, the existing JSAs wouldn't be grandfathered, but could give stations with existing JSAs two years to unwind them.

The meeting won't include making "shared services agreements" (SSAs) or any other form of sharing arrangements attributable, but it will ask for input on how they should treat those other arrangements.

He also said that he won't loosen up the crossownership ban between a TV station and a newspaper, something former Chairman Julius Genachowski was proposing in his 2010 quadrennial review.

Meanwhile, the NAB made a pitch to the FCC this week to defending those JSA/SSAs.

And now broadcasters and their attorneys (who are mostly involved in the transactions of station deals) are sounding off on Wheeler's possible plan to curb those JSAs and other sharing arrangements.

New M&A This Morning!!!

Hoak is selling KAUZ to a new entity KAUZ Media, Inc., owned Lawton, OK lawyer, Bill W. Burgess, Jr.

Great, probably a shell for KSWO/Drewry. The reason I think so is because the buyer is from Lawton specifically, which is where Drewry's from. Fortunately though, KSWO has actually managed to keep KAUZ mostly separate despite the JOA/SSA. They have to be applauded for that.

New M&A This Morning!!!

Hoak is selling KAUZ to a new entity KAUZ Media, Inc., owned by Lawton, OK lawyer, Bill W. Burgess, Jr.

I had a feeling that Drewry was going to form something to keep that SSA alive. At least they got someone local to buy it.

Wasn't Gray supposed to be getting KAUZ before this?

Wasn't Gray supposed to be getting KAUZ before this?

I don't know if they were "suppose to get it" or wanted the station or not, but KAUZ was the only station that wasn't in part of the Gray/Hoak deal back in December. I doubt Gray wanted to be a junior partner of an existing SSA with Drewry's KSWO. This is similar to when Sinclair bought Fisher. They would've been a junior partner to Idaho Falls' SSA between KIDK & NPG's KIFI, and you know Sinclair isn't going to fly with that. So NPG form a shell VistaWest as a result.