At the FCC

CircleSeven

I think one of the big reasons the WQCW deal went down is because Excalibur's owner, Don Ray, was the longtime general manager of WSAZ, and even was a regional VP under Gray's ownership of the station. Once the deal goes down, I imagine that any efforts in programming WSAZ's "myZ" subchannel will shift to WQCW, including their prime time news.

Since WQCW is technically licensed to Portsmouth, Ohio, It would be interesting to see if the efforts focused on Ohio and Kentucky....but I imagine it will be an extension of WSAZ's current focus on the Huntington side of the market with a taste of Charleston news thrown in there.

I think one of the big reasons the WQCW deal went down is because Excalibur's owner, Don Ray, was the longtime general manager of WSAZ, and even was a regional VP under Gray's ownership of the station. Once the deal goes down, I imagine that any efforts in programming WSAZ's "myZ" subchannel will shift to WQCW, including their prime time news.

Since WQCW is technically licensed to Portsmouth, Ohio, It would be interesting to see if the efforts focused on Ohio and Kentucky....but I imagine it will be an extension of WSAZ's current focus on the Huntington side of the market with a taste of Charleston news thrown in there.

The real question is if WQCW is going to grab the My Network TV for its primary channel or secondary channel, because the primary channel is the CW.

I understand that WIBW-TV has My Network TV on its sub-channel in Topeka.

The real question is if WQCW is going to grab the My Network TV for its primary channel or secondary channel, because the primary channel is the CW.

I understand that WIBW-TV has My Network TV on its sub-channel in Topeka.

I think "MyZ" is going to remain similar to its current form, being a ThisTV/MyNetwork hybrid, and the newscasts (and any first-run syndication) will likely move to WQCW.

Interestingly enough, when WQCW was a WB affiliate (as WHCP), it carried UPN as a secondary affiliation from 10-midnight from around 2001 to the merger of UPN and WB into the CW in 2006. Unlike other primary UPN affiliates, the shows were "bugless".

NEW M&A Tonight!!!!

B&C states that Duhamel will sell its family-owned station KOTA in Rapid City, SD to South Bend-based Schurz Communications.

KOTA has been owned Duhamel family since its inception in 1955. KOTA also operates three satellite stations where they coin their coverage area "KOTA Territory", KDUH in Scottsbluff, NE, KHSD in Lead, SD and KSGW in Sheridan, WY.

Here's KOTA's Assignment Of License app to Schurz through it's existing subsidiary New Rushmore Radio, Inc., the same licensee as its radio properties. Schurz is paying the Duhamels $10M.

Here's KOTA's Assignment Of License app to Schurz through it's existing subsidiary New Rushmore Radio, Inc., the same licensee as its radio properties. Schurz is paying the Duhamels $10M.

Dude, your timing is so good that I think TVNewsCheck is coming here now to get information on station prices when they break... (TVNewsCheck posted this story 57 minutes after you did.)

Dude, your timing is so good that I think TVNewsCheck is coming here now to get information on station prices when they break... (TVNewsCheck posted this story 57 minutes after you did.)

When you look at the application, you read the Asset Purchase Agreement in those apps, and its on the section, Purchase Price. Now some of the time when new M&As is announced, they won't state the purchase price immediately, until that full paperwork is posted. Now I didn't see that KOTA paperwork last night, (usually new apps are shown minutes after Midnight ET M-F). So I just happened to see it a couple of hours ago.

It's rare they post new apps at midday, instead of everything that night. It doesn't always happen that way.

Well, we don't really have a New M&A Tonight!!! It's basically the change of the "shell" gaurd in Hawaii.

KFVE 9 (formerly KGMB) will be transfered from HITV Operating Company to (y'all ready) Southeastern Media Holdings!!

Thomas Henson is the owner of Southeastern Media Holdings. Of course he also the owner of American Spirit Media. I have strong assumption that once this deal gets done, he'll probably do a pro forma app and re-assign it via American Spirit, to join the other assigned stations.

Well, we don't really have a New M&A Tonight!!! It's basically the change of the "shell" gaurd in Hawaii.

KFVE 9 (formerly KGMB) will be transfered from HITV Operating Company to (y'all ready) Southeastern Media Holdings!!

Thomas Henson is the owner of Southeastern Media Holdings. Of course he also the owner of American Spirit Media. I have strong assumption that once this deal gets done, he'll probably do a pro forma app and re-assign it via American Spirit, to join the other assigned stations.

I'm not surprised this is happening now as much as I'm surprised that this didn't happen sooner.

New M&A Tonight!!

Cowles might be limiting their presence in one spot, but it doesn't mean they're not boosting its presence in another.

From the paper work of and APA posted this morning (10/1). Cowles Media will be buying Max Media's Montana Cluster for $18M.

Stations include the ABC Montana cluster in Helena, Great Falls, Butte & Missoula; and Billings NBC station KULR.

And eight weeks after the paperwork was posted, the FCC has greenlighted the Cowles/Max Montana cluster deal.

Stations include KTMF & KFBB.

http://www.tvnewscheck.com/article/72285/station-trading-roundup-7-deals-3812m

According to BIA Kelsey, WMBB and KREX (plus their satellites and KGJT-LP) will be sold directly to Gray. KFQX will be sold to Excalibur.

I wonder how long Gray is planning on keeping these stations....hopefully it's a temporary move so a buyer can be found for these (or other conflicting properties) since Gray ownership would represent a total monopoly in Grand Junction and a virtual monopoly in Panama City!

And Lockwood received the greenlight from the FCC today on its soon-to-be new flagship station.

And almost three months after it was approved, the sale of Lockwood's new flagship station, WSKY, have been consummated, as of Monday.

http://www.tvnewscheck.com/article/72285/station-trading-roundup-7-deals-3812m

According to BIA Kelsey, WMBB and KREX (plus their satellites and KGJT-LP) will be sold directly to Gray. KFQX will be sold to Excalibur.

I wonder how long Gray is planning on keeping these stations....hopefully it's a temporary move so a buyer can be found for these (or other conflicting properties) since Gray ownership would represent a total monopoly in Grand Junction and a virtual monopoly in Panama City!

It even includes KAUZ Wichita Falls, as well, even though Gray didn't announce that they going to acquire that station. I think BIA/Kelsey assumed that Hoak is selling the entire company to Gray. Even if Gray temporary holds WMBB & KREX/KFQX until those sutible buyers come out, I don't think it would be much of an issue. That's why it's important to wait until they make the formal FCC AOL/TOC paperwork to see which stations are really getting sold or not. It would get a true understanding if Gray is getting all the stations or Hoak will hold those hold out stations, till a new buyer comes about.

To me, it looks like Gray might be getting it all, and then then resell the overlapped ones. At least they are doing like Raycom and divest the overlaps, unlike other group who thrive on using multiple shells to keep everything under their fold......

Remember Raycom kept WTVR for almost a year after the Lincoln Financial Media (former owners of competitor WWBT) deal was close. But eventually swapped stations with Local TV's WBRC in Birmingham. I don't think it would be much of an issue in this case, as more buyers are coming in the woodwork fairly quickly.

And almost three months after it was approved, the sale of Lockwood's new flagship station, WSKY, have been consummated, as of Monday.

It even includes KAUZ Wichita Falls, as well, even though Gray didn't announce that they going to acquire that station. I think BIA/Kelsey assumed that Hoak is selling the entire company to Gray. Even if Gray temporary holds WMBB & KREX/KFQX until those sutible buyers come out, I don't think it would be much of an issue. That's why it's important to wait until they make the formal FCC AOL/TOC paperwork to see which stations are really getting sold or not. It would get a true understanding if Gray is getting all the stations or Hoak will hold those hold out stations, till a new buyer comes about.

To me, it looks like Gray might be getting it all, and then then resell the overlapped ones. At least they are doing like Raycom and divest the overlaps, unlike other group who thrive on using multiple shells to keep everything under their fold......

Remember Raycom kept WTVR for almost a year after the Lincoln Financial Media (former owners of competitor WWBT) deal was close. But eventually swapped stations with Local TV's WBRC in Birmingham. I don't think it would be much of an issue in this case, as more buyers are coming in the woodwork fairly quickly.

I'm hoping that as a condition of the sale, Gray will have a period of time to sell off any conflict stations. I remember when Media General was selling WIAT in order to purchase WVTM, they were granted a temporary waiver to keep both stations. They ended up selling WIAT to New Vision soon afterwards (well within the time period granted).

New M&A Tonight!!!

It appears that bankrupt Roberts Broadcasting is selling its Columbia, SC station, WZRB to Tri-States Christian Television (through their licensee name Radiant Life Ministries, Inc.) for $2M. Upon closing of the sale, the station will drop its CW network and its syndicated programming.

This is the second time where Roberts have sold its station to a religious broadcaster. Last October, they'd sold its Jackson CW affiliate, WRBJ to TBN, which that one was finalized on January 17 of this year.

At first, I strongly thought that Sinclair would get it, as I said over a year ago:

Now the Columbia market will also be interesting because not only we have WACH FOX 57, but Roberts Broadcasting looks like their days are numbered. So whoever grabs WACH, that same one could grab WZRB, under an aid of a 'shell' because Columbia has fewer than eight stations in the market.

So I'm thinking either WACH or WKTC could be possible contenders for the affiliation. WACH would probably have to get equipment to operate an HD subchannel for the CW stream. WKTC could move its MyNet lineup to late at night, or do the same thing and have a subchannel. But WKTC already have Telemundo, Antenna TV & Retro TV on their subs. It would be a picture quality roadkill if they add another subchannel. But who knows, Gannett could shock us again, and add the network on WLTX's sub (like they did with WMAZ), or Bahakel could do the same on WOLO (remember what their sister station to the north of them is now affiliated with). It would be interesting to see how this goes.

New M&A Tonight!!!

It appears that bankrupt Roberts Broadcasting is selling its Columbia, SC station, WZRB to Tri-States Christian Television (through their licensee name Radiant Life Ministries, Inc.) for $2M. Upon closing of the sale, the station will drop its CW network and its syndicated programming.

This is the second time where Roberts have sold its station to a religious broadcaster. Last October, they'd sold its Jackson CW affiliate, WRBJ to TBN, which that one was finalized on January 17 of this year.

At first, I strongly thought that Sinclair would get it, as I said over a year ago:

So I'm thinking either WACH or WKTC could be possible contenders for the affiliation. WACH would probably have to get equipment to operate an HD subchannel for the CW stream. WKTC could move its MyNet lineup to late at night, or do the same thing and have a subchannel. But WKTC already have Telemundo, Antenna TV & Retro TV on their subs. It would be a picture quality roadkill if they add another subchannel. But who knows, Gannett could shock us again, and add the network on WLTX's sub (like they did with WMAZ), or Bahakel could do the same on WOLO (remember what their sister station to the north of them is now affiliated with). It would be interesting to see how this goes.

Now this starts an interesting discussion about WRBU in St. Louis. If WRBU were sold to one of these Christian broadcasters and drops MyTV programming, where does it go? My only guess would be KNLC since that market would be too big to have the network on a subchannel. I understand that KNLC is a religious station, but there are plenty of stations that would be like KNLC with MNTV, namely WBNX in Cleveland and KSBI in OKC.

Now this starts an interesting discussion about WRBU in St. Louis. If WRBU were sold to one of these Christian broadcasters and drops MyTV programming, where does it go? My only guess would be KNLC since that market would be too big to have the network on a subchannel. I understand that KNLC is a religious station, but there are plenty of stations that would be like KNLC with MNTV, namely WBNX in Cleveland and KSBI in OKC.

Speaking of the devil.

Last night was WZRB, Tonight, it's WRBU. They're also selling it to TCT for $5.5M. Let's see where the MyNet would go. I hate to say this, but I have a feeling that Sinclair could dedicate a sub on KDNL for the MyNet.

KNLC is a nonstarter. They had trouble just running the Fox Kids segment in the 1990's after KTVI refused to air it.

I'll leave this bit from Wikipedia to explain the bad relationship between the two and why Fox Kids was ultimately pulled from KNLC.

By the spring of 1996, KNLC refused to sell local advertising during Fox Kids programming because it objected to the content featured within the programs and the national advertising included along with it. The time that would normally be allocated to local commercials was instead replaced with messages from Rice's ministry regarding issues such as the death penalty and abortion.Fox felt that its children's programming was not appropriate for such subjects to be discussed upon. Ultimately regretting putting Fox Kids programs on a conservative religious station, the network moved both the weekday afternoon and Saturday morning Fox Kids blocks to the network's local affiliate KTVI in 1996, becoming then-owner New World Communications' only Fox-affiliated station to run Fox Kids programming after switching to the network (the remainder of New World's Fox affiliates chose to run local newscasts and/or syndicated programs in place of the children's program block).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/KNLC

KNLC didn't like to runs ads that weren't religion based. And KNLC is still under the same ownership (Rev. Larry Rice) so I don't expect things to change there.

Not to mention the outdated equipment they use, I think they're left over from the 1980's.

As much as it pains me to say it, a better shot would be Sinclair buying WRBU and keeping the MyTV programming on it.

Didn't realize that WRBU was sold.

Speaking of the devil.

Last night was WZRB, Tonight, it's WRBU. They're also selling it to TCT for $5.5M. Let's see where the MyNet would go. I hate to say this, but I have a feeling that Sinclair could dedicate a sub on KDNL for the MyNet.

Considering that they do something very similar in Dayton and Columbus (which is also where KDNL's master control is based), it's not too far-fetched.

The question now is if Sinclair thinks it's worth the investment.

Roberts must have been real desperate. Then again they were debtors in possession so they needed to sell to appease creditors.

If they would've been desperate, they would've sold their stations a long time ago. They probably didn't see much loot at the time they filed for Chapter 11, then now, during this M&A Wave. Even though these stations haven't been canned by the FCC, they still have those Evansville LPs to tend to. They can ask the FCC to just can those licenses, or sell those stations to a spectrum speculator, but I doubt wireless companies would want that much spectrum in southwestern Indiana. Even with this $7.5M they're getting from TCT, to pay off those creditors, I doubt Roberts is out of the woods. I hope they can find some light at the end of the tunnel and pay off their debts soon. It is truly sad that this was one of the minority owners who have to go under like this.

As much as it pains me to say it, a better shot would be Sinclair buying WRBU and keeping the MyTV programming on it.

Didn't realize that WRBU was sold.

Considering that they do something very similar in Dayton and Columbus (which is also where KDNL's master control is based), it's not too far-fetched.

The question now is if Sinclair thinks it's worth the investment.

Given that the other big stations have at least one subchannel (KMOV have two), I doubt those stations are going to dedicate another sub to their stations. Tribune is satisfied with their Antenna TV/This TV, KMOV have Me-TV & Live Well, and KSDK have Bounce. I mean, I'm not saying the others don't have a shot in being the next contenders, but I don't think they should even try to make this their big priority.

KDNL on the other hand, they have a vacancy for their former CoolTV allotment where they could add the MyNet and syndie programs that WRBU is showing right now. With the loss of Local TV LLC back in July, they can at least make some good news in St. Louis. With all the investments in other ventures, lile buying more TV channels and such, I don't think they have much of a choice not to get the MyNet affiliate on its sub. They can even ditch that ZUUS Country, and may the MyNet an HD sub. But I doubt they would even do that.

Broadcasting & Cable is reporting that Michael Dell's OTA Broadcasting has agreed to buy Journal's KMIR and KPSE in Palm Springs. Not sure what this means for its future, since OTA Broadcasting is believed to be a spectrum speculator. And KPSE, as a low-power station, isn't allowed to participate in the incentive auctions.

The FCC has greenlighted the KMIR sale today, seven weeks after making the paperwork. I'm not happy about this. TMJ is a real dummy selling KMIR to speculators. Glad that auctions are delayed to 2015, but still.

Over the weekend, the Seattle Times issued another editorial urging the FCC to hold off on approving more TV station acquisition deals:

Without extra scrutiny, the FCC routinely caters to profit-driven corporations instead of communities. Democracy suffers when regulators refuse to uphold their core mission to preserve and promote competition, independent ownership and diverse perspectives on public airwaves.

New M&A Tonight!!!!

And we go back to Alaska. After sucessfully acquiring the CBS station in Anchorage and the NBC station in Juneau & Sitka, after nearly a yearlong battle, GCI plans to acquire the Ketchikan TV-owned CBS Southeast stations (KUBD, KTNL & KXLJ) for $1M.

Let's see if Vision Alaska will make some noise again on this deal. Could Fairbanks be their next target?