At the FCC

CircleSeven

Just some confirmation on that...

http://blogs.wsj.com/corporate-intelligence/2013/10/01/tv-mergers-worth-billions-put-on-hold-as-fcc-shuts-down/

Don't expect any news on Albritton/Sinclair, Local/Tribune, Gannett/Belo, etc until the shutdown is over.

CommLawBlog states that should the FCC opens up post shutdown, it will have a massive backlog of paperwork on their hands.

AND... It would only do them worst if the shutdown continues to roll on...... I can't wait to see that when that happens.......

With all that backlog, one might wonder if any of these deals will quickly get approved post-shutdown as well, which that will be very unlikely.

The first Monday since the reopening of FCC site and we have a NEW M&A Tonight!!!

Anyone thought that Bob Prather was going sit out after he left leading Gray Television, you have another thing coming. Hell, I didn't see this coming.

Through the paperwork, Prather through his firm Heartland Media, LLC, is buying Smith Media's last station, Utica's WKTV for $16M. The APA was made out on October 1st.

I knew Boston Ventures weren't going to hold that sole station for long. And I did state that Gray should've gotten it. But I never thought a former Gray leader would even come close to acquiring a station after he left from a company that had a massive chain of stations. Now I'm not sure if he's going to even try to acquire more stations, as it's getting even harder to form a new group, while many groups that are already here are trying to merge with each other. It's going to be a very hard sell.

The first Monday since the reopening of FCC site and we have a NEW M&A Tonight!!!

Anyone thought that Bob Prather was going sit out after he left leading Gray Television, you have another thing coming. Hell, I didn't see this coming.

Through the paperwork, Prather through his firm Heartland Media, LLC, is buying Smith Media's last station, Utica's WKTV for $16M. The APA was made out on October 1st.

I knew Boston Ventures weren't going to hold that sole station for long. And I did state that Gray should've gotten it. But I never thought a former Gray leader would even come close to acquiring a station after he left from a company that had a massive chain of stations. Now I'm not sure if he's going to even try to acquire more stations, as it's getting even harder to form a new group, while many groups that are already here are trying to merge with each other. It's going to be a very hard sell.

Is Heartland Media, LLC is going to be part of Gray Television or a separate media group?

Paying $16 million for a station in Utica, NY is a good example of why he's no longer in charge at Gray.

We have another little M&A deal today.

TVNewsCheck states that Chambers Communications, which owns the Oregon ABC stations outside of Portland including KEZI & KDRV, is selling Bend's KOHD to Zolo Media, which owns former KOIN 6 satellite station, KBNZ-LD for $2.35M.

Okay here's the follow. Based on the KOHD's asset purchase agreement, it has agreed to 'have a direct feed of all of' KEZI's newscast for a minimum of 5 years after the deal gets consummated.

I guess it's one little approval at a time.

The FCC has greenlighted KOHD's sale to Zolo Media today.

Now I understand that KOHD still have to pipe-in KEZI's newscast for a minimum of a half a decade, but since Zolo now have the CBS & ABC in Bend, when are they going to pour in some sort of capital to compete with NPG's KTVZ/KFXO and have at least a in-house news ops, instead of showing out-of-market news piped in from Portland & Eugene?

And it's exactly what he wants to do. He told the B&C that he wants to expand outside of the purchase of WKTV.

Again, it's going to be a hard sale, while existing groups are trying to merge into these super-groups.

At least he's getting it. I was SO worried that Sinclair would grab WKTV.

The FCC has approved the acquisition by Alaska telecom GCI of one CBS and two NBC affiliates, giving it TV reach across the entire state.

Almost one year since they'd announced the deal, and over ten months after the paperwork has been used, it's been basically all the broadcasters in the state vs. GCI, as they feared a media monopoly. I guess the FCC didn't see that, and sided the telcom company.

Ten Months. Wow! Let's hope these other apps don't get prolonged like this. The Cunningham TOC to Anderson proper & Sinclair/Barrington apps is already gone over seven months now. The Nexstar/ComCorp apps is heading to its sixth month in about a week.

NEW M&A Tonight!!!!

B&C states that Duhamel will sell its family-owned station KOTA in Rapid City, SD to South Bend-based Schurz Communications.

KOTA has been owned Duhamel family since its inception in 1955. KOTA also operates three satellite stations where they coin their coverage area "KOTA Territory", KDUH in Scottsbluff, NE, KHSD in Lead, SD and KSGW in Sheridan, WY.

NEW M&A Tonight!!!!

B&C states that Duhamel will sell its family-owned station KOTA in Rapid City, SD to South Bend-based Schurz Communications.

KOTA has been owned Duhamel family since its inception in 1955. KOTA also operates three satellite stations where they coin their coverage area "KOTA Territory", KDUH in Scottsbluff, NE, KHSD in Lead, SD and KSGW in Sheridan, WY.

Glad they're selling to Schurz and not Sinclair (for certain users I don't hate Sinclair, but I think Schurz will do more heavy-lifting and investments than Sinclair).

NEW M&A Tonight!!!!

Wow that is quite a surprise! Those stations dominate the market, correct?

NEW M&A Tonight!!!!

Interesting. For those of you who don't know, Schurz had a deal to buy the Duhamel stations in 1998, when the Duhamels walked away from the deal. Schurz sued Duhamel to enforce the deal, but lost.

I guess everyone has kissed and made up.

OMG, Gray is about to have a SHELL???!!

TVNewsCheck have posted that News-Press & Gazette Company has announced that it has agreed to sell KJCT Grand Junction to this newly formed company, Excalibur Broadcasting, LLC for over $3M. It also states that other non-FCC licensed assets will be sold by Gray proper for $9M. Excalibur is ran by former Gray Regional VP & GM of leading station WSAZ 3.

This move will break that longtime sister-station relationship between KJCT & Colorado Springs' ABC station KRDO, since Pikes Peak owned the two stations in the early 80s.

The FCC has greenlighted the KJCT sale on Wednesday.

Two consummations this morning.

As posted above, The FCC greenlighted the application of Grand Junction's KJCT to Excalibur on Wednesday, the sale was consummated the very next day on Halloween, breaking its longtime relationship its adjacent market sister-station KRDO in Colorado Springs, and become the new sister stations to Gray's in-market sister NBC station, KKCO and adjacent marke sister, KKTV.

And KJCT's website now uses the typical Gray's CMS site.

Also WMDT's assignment of license application to Marquee Broadcasting, which was approved on September 20, was consummated as of Friday.

Even though the previous sale hasn't closed, TVNewscheck is reporting that Yellowstone Television is selling KGNS, KCWY and KGWN, along with associated translators, to Gray.

Okay, I don't understand, Frontier still was awaiting for the greenlight on the Idaho stations' KPVI/KXTF. I know the article didn't mention it, but should that get the greenlight, are they're going to give that to Gray too?

So much for forming a station group to join the lone station, WGXA. Unless Gray wants that too.

Even though the previous sale hasn't closed, TVNewscheck is reporting that Yellowstone Television is selling KGNS, KCWY and KGWN, along with associated translators, to Gray.

Ironically, KGWN was not included in Gray's buy of Benedek over a decade ago. Things have come full circle.

That gives Gray a footprint of most of Colorado outside of Denver.

That gives Gray a footprint of most of Colorado outside of Denver.

And with KGWN's satellite in Scottsbluff, that gives them coverage in the entire state of Nebraska, from east to west. So the regional footprint is even stronger in that part of the country. With Laredo, that gives Gray their 3rd Texas market, not close to what Nexstar or London has/going to have.

Outside of Waco, Sherman & Laredo are although not the smallest, like Victoria, the two are among the state's smallest markets. I have strong doubt they'll emphasize more in that state.

Oh thank god. Gray will definitely pour some much needed funds into KGNS, hopefully including HD newscasts and more staff.

Same with KCWY and KGWN (the other big story is that both stations are currently run separate but this purchase will bring both of them under one umbrella). Right now, Casper and Cheyenne are a one horse town with KTWO basically dominating both markets.

Hopefully Grey will invest in these two as they get integrated and finally bring some much needed competition in Wyoming.

Same with KCWY and KGWN (the other big story is that both stations are currently run separate but this purchase will bring both of them under one umbrella). Right now, Casper and Cheyenne are a one horse town with KTWO basically dominating both markets.

Hopefully Grey will invest in these two as they get integrated and finally bring some much needed competition in Wyoming.

I don't know where you got your info, but KGWN has dominated Cheyenne forever and KCWY passed KTWO several years ago.