At the FCC

CircleSeven

• 2 weeks later...

Yellowstone gets another Sunbelt station.

Last night was the Idaho stations KXTF & KPVI. Tonight, its Wyoming's KCWY, for $2M.

One of the Frontier apps were greenlighted today. Today it's KCWY.

So far that's two Sunbelt stations that gotten their apps approved by the FCC. If it goes at this rate the Idaho stations should not be far behind.

Yellowstone is another name for Brian Brady, right? Or is this the shell name for Frontier Radio Management (owners of WGXA and soon to be acquiring KGNS 8)?

Sorry, I should know this, but I've gotten the two mixed up lately.

No Yellowstone & Idaho Broadcast Partners are/will be indirect subsidiaries of Frontier (no shell). Yellowstone ain't got nothing to do with Brady. Here's a list of what Jason Wolff (owner of Frontier) also owns. And here's Brady's list. I hope this shows some clarification.

Here's WTHR's power increase application. I remember when it was posted back on July 5. This would be their third power increase, as they want to blowtorch it to 77kW (from 22kW > 30kW > 42.1kW). And they also filed an STA application, which means they want that increase to happen immediately. Also as you see on the application a 'request of waiver'. As you know, back in April, the FCC has place a temporary moratorium or a "freeze" on new applications to maximized the facilities of a full-power television station, pending the outcome of those upcoming spectrum auctions. But since this station is on the VHF dial, and the FCC wants a good chunk of some of the UHF allotments for broadband use, I don't think they'll have much of an issue to request this waiver. But its a gamble because of the large ERP. We'll see how this goes.

New M&A today.

Lockwood acquires WSKY 4 Manteo, NC for $1.1M ($1,104,944.20).

I'm not too sure if they are going to benefit anything with this station. Based on their schedule, it looks like they get what's leftover syndie shows the other stations didn't want or not have room for.

And Lockwood received the greenlight from the FCC today on its soon-to-be new flagship station.

Another New Station Group. And this time this group have some stations.

B&C states today this new California group, Yellowstone Holdings will acquire SagamoreHill Broadcasting's KGWN (CBS) Cheyenne, WY, KSTF (CBS) Scottsbluff, NE and KGNS (NBC) Laredo, TX for $20.5M.

New FCC approval this morning. It has greenlighted the assignment of license of KGNS Laredo to Frontier (through its Yellowstone subsidiary).

• 2 weeks later...

New M&A Tonight. This time it involves NBC.

NBC appears to be buying Rio Grande's Telemundo affiliate KTLM from Larry Patrick's Sunbelt Multimedia for $8.5M.

This sale makes sense in a way, since this station has been in receivership for over a year and the Rio Grande Valley has a large hispanic population. But most Telemundo O&O's are located in top 50 markets, and the networks have been divesting smaller-market stations in recent years, so i'm not sure why NBC would want a station in such a small market.

This sale makes sense in a way, since this station has been in receivership for over a year and the Rio Grande Valley has a large hispanic population. But most Telemundo O&O's are located in top 50 markets, and the networks have been divesting smaller-market stations in recent years, so i'm not sure why NBC would want a station in such a small market.

Who says NBC is going to operate it? They may be purchasing it to ensure they have still have a Telemundo affiliate in such a pre-dominantly Hispanic market as the Valley. But my money is on them outsourcing operations to ZGS once they close in on the license.

Who says NBC is going to operate it? They may be purchasing it to ensure they have still have a Telemundo affiliate in such a pre-dominantly Hispanic market as the Valley. But my money is on them outsourcing operations to ZGS once they close in on the license.

I was first thinking, why wouldn't ZGS scrape some chump change and acquire it. I wouldn't even be shocked if NBC go ahead and resell it to ZGS proper in the not too distant future. Maybe in the interim, NBC could use enough capital to give them some infrastructure (build them a new set and get some up-to-date equipment, etc.), and then ZGS would take over the day-to-day managerial ops.

I was first thinking, why wouldn't ZGS scrape some chump change and acquire it. I wouldn't even be shocked if NBC go ahead and resell it to ZGS proper in the not too distant future. Maybe in the interim, NBC could use enough capital to give them some infrastructure (build them a new set and get some up-to-date equipment, etc.), and then ZGS would take over the day-to-day managerial ops.

I have to agree with NBC buying the licensed.assets and have ZGS run the station.

The calculations for buying a Hispanic television station are very different.

Nielsen has its own DMA rankings for Hispanic television households. The top ten Hispanic DMAs in this list are LA, New York, Miami, Houston, Dallas, Chicago, San Francisco, San Antonio, Phoenix and the Rio Grande Valley market. These DMAs, in 2012-13, included 51% of all Hispanic TV homes in the US; the top 10 DMAs for all TV homes the same year represented 29.5% of the entire TV universe. (2013-14 Hispanic DMA info was not available.)

For NBC this is like buying a Top 10 DMA station. In fact KTLM was the last Top 10 Hispanic DMA station that was not owned by NBC or ZGS.

The largest Hispanic DMA station not owned by NBC or ZGS after this transaction will be KCSO-LD Sacramento (HDMA #11), owned by Sainte Partners. KCSO does not have any local news.

New FCC Approval. And this one was filed seven months ago.

WLOV, the Fox Station in Tupelo, Mississippi filed an application of consent to Assign the License from Lingard Broadcasting Corporation to Tupelo Broadcasting, Inc. For $500K. Lingard Broadcasting is owned by Jack Lingard. From this attachment in this application, it explains the interest in terms of the people involved. Lingard is the brother of the majority owner of WTVA Inc, Jane Spain. Tupelo Broadcasting is owned by Matthew Dee, the son of Jane Spain. So basically the stations is being exchange from one next-of-kin to the other.

Anyway, the application was posted on the FCC site December 26, and just today, after almost seven months, the FCC has finally greenlighted the application. If we remember back in late January, it took nine months for the FCC to approve WXVT's app from Saga to the sons of the owner of WABG.

New M&A Completion. The change of guard from one next-of-kin to the next have been completed. The sale of WLOV to Tupelo Broadcasting from Lingard Broadcasting was consummated on Friday.

Another acquisition is in the works. This time it's in the nation's 49th state and there's already plenty of opposition.

Back on November 12, Denali Media Holdings agreed to acquire Anchorage's CBS affiliate KTVA from Affiliated Media and Juneau's NBC affiliate KATH-LD with low-power Sitka translator KSCT-LP from North Star Television. Denali Media is a subsidiary of Alaska's largest telecommunications provider General Communication Inc. or GCI. Fast forward to late last week when many broadcasters in the state have filed a petition to deny, stating that granting the applications would give a combo of two television stations in three Alaska markets, along with their largest (and exclusive) provider in cable & broadband services for the entire state.

Among the broadcasters that have joined in this petition of denial are, Fireweed Communications, Vision Alaska/Coastal Television, Ketchikan TV, and the only non-Alaskan group Schurz Communications (Northern Lights Media). GCI has already made its opposition on Fireweed's denial petition.

One small M&A that seems to still waiting on that greenlight is this KTVA/KATH acquisition to Denali Media Holdings, a subsidiary of telecommunication firm, GCI. It's been over ten months since they'd announced the deal and the paperwork was posted January 28. It won't be long until the FCC comes up some sort of ruling,

Consolidation, here we come! The Santa Barbara/Santa Maria/SLO market is going to look a lot like Palm Springs, down to the network affiliations.

I think the KION-KCBA/KCOY-KKFX operations are tightly integrated with each other, too. KCBA is owned by Seal Rock Broadcasters and SSA'd out. Seal Rock, which appears to mostly be the vehicle of a George V. Kriste, apparently also entered into a JSA with Entravision back in June for marketing and sales services of KCBA. Entravision owns Univision outlet KSMS.

Unfortunately I am mixing these markets up seeing as they both are known as the Central Coast.

Word is NPG (News-Press Gazette) just bought KCOY/KION in California's Central Coast markets.

https://www.facebook.com/savekcoy/posts/454082528040453

First, I'm going to wait for the full press release.

Second, I wonder what Cordillera's KSBY in the SB have anything to say with this, if this does get finalized. Should it does be the case, VistaWest will get KCOY/KKFX (since NPG proper have KEYT).