At the FCC

CircleSeven

KYMA (not KMYA) was a very strange operation for that station group. It's a tiny station in a tiny market (DMA 165) that's not connected to IWCC's Nevada station chain or its cluster in Idaho and Wyoming. It was the last station to use the Great News Package (no, seriously, phasing it out sometime between 2006 and 2009).

This station group doesn't have much experience running Big Three affiliates, either. The one they have is KVTV Laredo, TX, which does not have a news operation; their other stations are Fox outlets.

KYMA (not KMYA) was a very strange operation for that station group. It's a tiny station in a tiny market (DMA 165) that's not connected to IWCC's Nevada station chain or its cluster in Idaho and Wyoming. It was the last station to use the Great News Package (no, seriously, phasing it out sometime between 2006 and 2009).

This station group doesn't have much experience running Big Three affiliates, either. The one they have is KVTV Laredo, TX, which does not have a news operation; their other stations are Fox outlets.

Brady's group had owned KTVZ (NBC) in Bend, Oregon, but sold it to NPG, who he will be competing with (or possibly teaming up with?) in Yuma/El Centro. He also had KZTV in Corpus Christi. That station was sold and operations were taken over by the NBC affiliate there.

The Imperial Valley market may start to look more like the Corpus Christi market, with stations merging operations. I don't know how long Pappas will hold on to KSWT. That's an odd station for a struggling chain. Plus, that station has seen better days.

Brady's group had owned KTVZ (NBC) in Bend, Oregon, but sold it to NPG, who he will be competing with (or possibly teaming up with?) in Yuma/El Centro. He also had KZTV in Corpus Christi. That station was sold and operations were taken over by the NBC affiliate there.

The Imperial Valley market may start to look more like the Corpus Christi market, with stations merging operations. I don't know how long Pappas will hold on to KSWT. That's an odd station for a struggling chain. Plus, that station has seen better days.

Pappas is all but toast. It's a matter of who will be willing to buy the remaining stations. Stations like KCWI/KDMI, WIWN & WLGA could be very well be sold by those Spectrum Speculators like LocusPoint, OTA Broadcasting & NRJ TV, who are willing to sell the spectrum to the FCC for next years incentive auctions.

This will no doubt be the likely result for two stations merging, obviously since KECY have both Fox & ABC in the same frequency. Since I just predicting Pappas' fate, I wished a respective owner can acquire Pappas' KSWT, KHGI/KWNB & KFXL. Let Una Vez Mas have KAZA.

You just listed the last things of value in Pappas's entire portfolio—its lone Big Four outlets and its largest market station.

Yeah, and they can save all that time and worry, by unloading all of its portfolio and fold it up. They may not even have to see the judge (doubt it, is there still in bankruptcy?). Pappas was done when they sold its flagship KMPH Fox 26 to Titan. They'll probably get more dough if they sell the remaining and they can tend to other business elsewhere.

Looks like Brady has acquired another station.

In a rare Sunday TVNewsCheck posting, it appears that Brian Brady has acquired Intermountain West Communications-owned, Yuma's NBC affiliate KYMA 11. Brady announced that he was going to acquire the low-power stations in Medford, as he already have a full-power Fox affiliate, KMVU.

The stunning thing about this is unless, it becomes the new licensee name for KYMA, what is this company's name. Is it Blackhawk, Stainless or Northwest? It's just mind-boggling.

Here's the paperwork. And it shows the stations licensee names that Brady owns. Anyway Sunbelt is selling KYMA to Brady for $1.3M.

I hope Brady doesn't gut KYMA's news department. I know Y/EC is a "fresh face" straight-out-of-journalism-school market, but KYMA still puts a somewhat decent product on the air (for small market standards) compared to KSWT, which looks like they're using cameras out of 1982 and still have the old logo on their mic flags.

http://www.kswt.com/video

http://www.kyma.com/

For the second straight day a TV station has been sold. $20.5 million for Yellowstone Holdings, a new owner in broadcasting, to acquire two stations (one of which has a full-power repeater) from SagamoreHill.

I actually posted it on this thread back on Friday. B&C was first to break that news. TVNewsCheck just posted the news today. This is SagamoreHill's lowest market stations they're selling.

Another New Station Group. And this time this group have some stations.

B&C states today this new California group, Yellowstone Holdings will acquire SagamoreHill Broadcasting's KGWN (CBS) Cheyenne, WY, KSTF (CBS) Scottsbluff, NE and KGNS (NBC) Laredo, TX for $20.5M.

So far SagamoreHill has sold now four full power stations. They also sold Florence, SC station WWMB to Armstrong Williams's Howard Stirk Holdings as a part of the Sinclair-Barrington Acquisition.

This will leave SagamoreHill with just four stations, all except for one, have LMA with other stations. KXLT Rochester (Quincy), KZTV Corpus Christi (Cordillera), WLTZ Columbus & WNCF Montgomery (Bahakel).

B&C states that it appears that they have reached a deal, to avert the signals for coming off of the TWC systems.

Here's the paperwork for both KGNS & KGWN. Based on the Yellowstone ownership structure, both stations will be sisters to Macon, GA's Fox/ABC station, WGXA. So this is 'more or less' a slight expansion.

• 2 weeks later...

Checking the FCC apps tonight and it appears a lot of 314 & 345 (Assignment Of License) filings.

It appears many of those are Low-power stations owned by Mako Communications. That and its subsidiaries are being sold by Landover 5, LLC for $46.5M.

But the big news tonight is Yellowstone/Frontier Radio has appears to have acquired two more stations.

From this rbr.com posting and FCC paperwork that was just posted to the FCC site about an hour ago, it appears that Intermountain West Communications stations KXTF Twin Falls and KPVI Pocatello/Idaho Falls will be sold to Idaho Broadcast Partners, LLC for an 'el-cheapo' $1M. That will be the subsidiary of Yellowstone Holdings, LLC. So this same firm will have KGNS, KGWN/KSTF, KXTF & KPVI; along with Frontier's WGXA.

IWCC recently sold its Yuma station KYMA to Brian Brady's Blackhawk Broadcasting for $1.3M. So Sunbelt has unloaded three stations for $2.3M in the last two weeks? That's very cheap. If they want to unload any more, they could sell off Beartooth NBC & KCWY to Bonten, since they own most of the NBC cluster in Montana.

I wouldn't be surprised if Sinclair is watching the Jim Rogers stations being sold at "fire sale" prices and is licking their chops towards putting in a bid for KSNV. But, I have a feeling Mr. Rogers will hold on to the Vegas station until his dying day.

However, crazier things have happened this year.

Checking the FCC apps tonight and it appears a lot of 314 & 345 (Assignment Of License) filings.

It appears many of those are Low-power stations owned by Mako Communications. That and its subsidiaries are being sold by Landover 5, LLC for $46.5M.

Landover is the latest in the line of "spectrum speculators," wanting to cash in on the upcoming auctions. The Mako LPTV's are, for the most part, leased out.

http://www.landoverllc.com

Landover is the latest in the line of "spectrum speculators," wanting to cash in on the upcoming auctions. The Mako LPTV's are, for the most part, leased out.

http://www.landoverllc.com

Thank you for telling me. I knew they weren't buying all the Makos for nothing. All those stations are will be toasted after auction time. None of those station have any significants anyway, but its still bad nevertheless.

I thought we dealt with this spectrum crunch after the 2009 DTV transition four years ago. And now they want 120khz of more spectrum off the Broadcast TV grid? And then stations that keep their stations, are going to have to move channels again. Where's the money for those stations to reallocate. And some stations would have to share the same frequency.

I know I've been preaching this on this board almost regularly and I do apologize. But this what I think this is just as important than the over growing media M&A consolidation craze. It's pitiful to see Sinclair gobbling stations up like Pac-Man. But its even worst for these 'speculators' NRJ, OTA Broadcasting, LocusPoint, Local Media TV and now Landover are even at their own buying sprees, but we know what they're going to do with them. They don't care about the future of broadcast television. They only care about how much a broadcaster is willing to sell for their spectrum, instead of the long-lasting future of over-the-air broadcast television. and that alone is just plain pitiful.

I wouldn't be surprised if Sinclair is watching the Jim Rogers stations being sold at "fire sale" prices and is licking their chops towards putting in a bid for KSNV. But, I have a feeling Mr. Rogers will hold on to the Vegas station until his dying day.

However, crazier things have happened this year.

Word is that everything except for Reno and Vegas is up for sale. I figure Jim Rogers will stalk the halls of KSNV even long after he dies. But I could see Sinclair swallow up KLAS. We know that place has to be up for sale.

Word is that everything except for Reno and Vegas is up for sale. I figure Jim Rogers will stalk the halls of KSNV even long after he dies. But I could see Sinclair swallow up KLAS. We know that place has to be up for sale.

I assume KENV in Elko (somewhat a satellite of KRNV) will stay in the Nevada fold, with KVBC I mean KSNV. The only station they haven't sold yet is Beartooth NBC. And KFXP will probably stay being assigned by Compass Communications.

This should be open season for Bonten to acquire Beartooth NBC to connect with Missoula/Butte's KTVM/KCFW/KECI. Or Yellowstone could acquire Bonten's Montana properties.

Thank you for telling me. I knew they weren't buying all the Makos for nothing. All those stations are will be toasted after auction time. None of those station have any significants anyway, but its still bad nevertheless.

I thought we dealt with this spectrum crunch after the 2009 DTV transition four years ago. And now they want 120khz of more spectrum off the Broadcast TV grid? And then stations that keep their stations, are going to have to move channels again. Where's the money for those stations to reallocate. And some stations would have to share the same frequency.

I know I've been preaching this on this board almost regularly and I do apologize. But this what I think this is just as important than the over growing media M&A consolidation craze. It's pitiful to see Sinclair gobbling stations up like Pac-Man. But its even worst for these 'speculators' NRJ, OTA Broadcasting, LocusPoint, Local Media TV and now Landover are even at their own buying sprees, but we know what they're going to do with them. They don't care about the future of broadcast television. They only care about how much a broadcaster is willing to sell for their spectrum, instead of the long-lasting future of over-the-air broadcast television. and that alone is just plain pitiful.

I'm no fan of the spectrum speculators, either. But, on the other hand, they've grabbed stations that would never amount to anything otherwise (cases in point: KFFV Seattle, WTVE Reading). Yes, I'd rather see someone who wants to use the license to serve the community who DOESN'T want to make it a home shopping repeater buy these stations, but at least they're taking the incompetent owners out of broadcasting. And, those who own a loser station as an ego booster (I'm looking at you, Kevin Adell of WADL Detroit), you better watch out!

• 4 weeks later...

New M&A today.

Lockwood acquires WSKY 4 Manteo, NC for $1.1M ($1,104,944.20).

I'm not too sure if they are going to benefit anything with this station. Based on their schedule, it looks like they get what's leftover syndie shows the other stations didn't want or not have room for.

Lockwood also is acquiring WCWG channel 20, the CW affiliate in Greensboro.

New M&A today.

I'm not too sure if they are going to benefit anything with this station. Based on their schedule, it looks like they get what's leftover syndie shows the other stations didn't want or not have room for.

WOW! Highway to Heaven? Really? It aired on WJZY...in the late 80s and early 90s.

New M&A today.

And there's no way they will able to pluck The CW from WGNT—not with Tribune running it.

I just thought of something. Since they have a Hampton offices (as well as their hub in Richmond), WSKY could be the group's new flagship station.

We have a consummation and another new M&A this morning.

Hubbard has consummated its sale of Pittsfield MA's WNYA from Venture Technologies. Hubbard has operated this station under a joint sales agreement since their acquisition announcement back in Febraury, and applied for a failed station waiver to acquire it (similar to what Freedom & Sinclair did for WCWN).

And it appears that the largest Azteca America affiliate group, Una Vez Mas Holdings has agreed to transfer control the licenses (including KAZD) to Northstar Media, LLC for $700K. Here's the full transaction description.