At the FCC

CircleSeven

New petitions. Sinclair filed three of them in the West.

• KCBY (11 > 34) - Coos Bay, OR
  • KCFW (9 > 17) - Kalispell, MT
  • KENV (10 > 20) - Elko, NV

EDIT: Big News in the Mid-South.

After more than 25 months since its filing, and basically nearly 12 years since this process began, the FCC have gave the greenlight (R&O) to WMC's move to UHF. 

I talked about this in detail in the Gray thread.

There's one more R&O today.

Edited by CircleSeven
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, CircleSeven said:

New petitions. Sinclair filed three of them in the West.

• KCBY (11 > 34) - Coos Bay, OR
  • KCFW (9 > 17) - Kalispell, MT
  • KENV (10 > 20) - Elko, NV

EDIT: Big News in the Mid-South.

After more than 25 months since its filing, and basically nearly 12 years since this process began, the FCC have gave the greenlight (R&O) to WMC's move to UHF. 

I'm going to talk more about this later in the Gray thread.

I'm surprised they haven't figured out a way to move WKRC to UHF, or at least provided a massive power boost. That is one crappy signal.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, CircleSeven said:

There's one more R&O today.

I wish there was an ability to downgrade the terrible WRNN-owned stations to 200-watt AM daytimers instead of giving them better UHF signals. 😒 Also this 'upgrade' applies to share/sister station WMFP, so yay, clearer ShopHQ and OnTV4U farther away, Boston!

I do wonder if KENV's upgrade would bring back a major network to that station, or at the very least making it a KMYU satellite. As for WMC, as Lizzo would say, 'it's about damned time'.

Edited by mrschimpf
  • Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

The FCC has just proposed a fine of $504k to Fox for a violation of using EAS tones outside of an actual emergency.

We propose a penalty of $504,000 against Fox Corporation for apparently willfully violating the Federal Communications Commission’s rules that prohibit the transmission of, or causing the transmission of, false or deceptive emergency alert system (EAS) codes or EAS Attention Signals, or simulations thereof. On November 28, 2021, FOX apparently transmitted, or caused the transmission of, EAS Tones during a FOX National Football League (NFL) promotional segment in the absence of any actual emergency, authorized test of the EAS, or qualified public service announcement (PSA).

I believe this was the incident in question.

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, CircleSeven said:

The FCC has just proposed a fine of $504k to Fox for a violation of using EAS tones outside of an actual emergency.

I believe this was the incident in question.

I mean it predicted the Eagles in 2022 perfectly, so in that way, the promo did serve its purpose in warning the NFC East about the Eagles (along with just...Eagles fans). 😉

But yeah, the fine is justified, if just a little high (it's more of a $100k violation than $500k for me). Just use a generic Morse Code alert next time, Fox Sports.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/8/2023 at 4:56 PM, DirtyHarry said:

55kw is hardly better than an LPTV. They should have stayed on VHF.

The 55kW is the wattage of their current VHF 7 signal. On the engineering PDF, it states 1000 kW. So that 55kw is an error on the filer's part.

Anywho, two new signals was lit up this week.

Looks like Savannah's WTOC has lit up its UHF signal on RF 23

Also BEK's new station in Grand Forks, KNGF filed a license to cover app on Thursday (2/9). That usually indicates the signal is up and running. No word on if they launched programming on the new signal, as of yet.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, CircleSeven said:

New M&A.

Spanish Broadcasting System, Inc. (owners of the Spanish TV network Mega TV) is selling its stations in Florida (WSBS-TV & WSBS-CD) and Puerto Rico (WTCV and its satellites) to Voz Media, Inc. for $29M ($19M for the FL stations and $10M for the PR stations).

Going by just a check of their website they pretty much sold out to the Real America's Voice for Spanish speakers. This may be as interesting as that radio sale in Miami a few months ago to watch (as in either a trainwreck or fireworks).

• Thought-Provoking 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 5/10/2022 at 6:38 PM, CircleSeven said:
On 5/10/2022 at 2:42 PM, Samantha said:

Meanwhile, WMEB Orono ME seeks to move from VHF 9 to UHF 22.

Should that change go in effect, LP Fox station WFVX-LD would have to find a new channel to go to, since they're on 22. And LPs don't get allotment protection.

So follow up regarding LP WFVX.

It has now proposed to channel-share with full power WVII on RF 7.

1 hour ago, DirtyHarry said:

What's the point? 

This; they already have Fox on WVII-DT2; wouldn't you just turn in the license rather than pointlessly pay for a redundant one and just keep the branding without the channel? Plus it's VHF; just try to get WVII on UHF instead, it's not like northern Maine/New Brunswick has a crowded UHF band.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/31/2023 at 12:26 PM, mrschimpf said:

This; they already have Fox on WVII-DT2; wouldn't you just turn in the license rather than pointlessly pay for a redundant one and just keep the branding without the channel? Plus it's VHF; just try to get WVII on UHF instead, it's not like northern Maine/New Brunswick has a crowded UHF band.

They probably don't have any vacant UHF channel available (without interfering with allotments nearby). 

Anywho, unrelated to this, thirteen and a half month since the deal was granted by the FCC, Allen Media has finally completed its acquisition of Montgomery's WCOV/WIYC.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

We do have some M&A approvals today.......

On 6/21/2022 at 2:15 PM, CircleSeven said:

New M&A. Owners of the former Fox affiliate in the Central Coast is selling its station.

Seal Rock Broadcasters is selling now CW affil KCBA to VistaWest Media for $1M. 

Nearly ten months after filing the paperwork, the KCBA deal was granted.

On 2/15/2023 at 11:51 AM, CircleSeven said:

New M&A. Looks like Gray and Marquee are swapping.

From TVNewsCheck, Gray is selling its Boise, Idaho Fox affiliate KNIN to Marquee Broadcasting. Upon the closing of the KNIN deal, Gray will then acquire Macon, Georgia's MeTV outlet WPGA.

And the KNIN/WPGA swap was also greenlighted today.

Edited by CircleSeven