At the FCC

CircleSeven

9 hours ago, DirtyHarry said:

I'm surprised that they didn't sell the license to one of the LPTV operators in Chicagoland. You'd think that somebody would want to buy it just to force their way on to cable.

I know, I'm just shocked that Window to the World put all this work to keeping the license active, and then just turned it back in without any rhyme or reason? I think we'll find out more in the next few months, as there's always something odd going on with WTTW. And I could've seen VCY America pay plenty for the license to extend their programming into Chicago.

• Like 2

15 hours ago, mrschimpf said:

I know, I'm just shocked that Window to the World put all this work to keeping the license active, and then just turned it back in without any rhyme or reason? I think we'll find out more in the next few months, as there's always something odd going on with WTTW. And I could've seen VCY America pay plenty for the license to extend their programming into Chicago.

Since the current PBS begathon is running, it puts things in a different perspective. You left significant money on the table and you turn around and beg money from me? Weigel might have wanted it for their LPTV.

Edited by DirtyHarry
  • Like 2

On 6/13/2022 at 1:09 PM, CircleSeven said:

New Petition.

RNN has filed to have Norwell, MA's WWDP to vacate VHF 10 and move to UHF 36.

I would've rather see WGBH (RF 5) or WSBE (RF 2) move to this allotment than a station that only shows wasteful infomercials and shopping channels.

There are also two LD stations, WECA in Boston and WYCN in Providence, that are currently broadcasting on RF 36 who'll need to move should the WWDP petition be approved.

As for WGBH and WGBX, they can possibly move 2.1 and 44.1 to RF 32 by ending the CSA with WBTS, who moves to WNEU's spectrum.

So follow up regarding KTVL's move to RF 16.

Last fall, I mentioned that a religious broadcaster (which operates on that same allotment) filed an objection to KTVL's move because it would "lose" its "unique voice" in the Medford area. 

It appears there is a settlement between KTVL & theDove Media. 

theDove has agreed to withdraw its objection to the petition (with prejudice). And once KTVL's petition is approved, theDove will file a displacement application to move KDSO-LD from RF 16 to RF 24.

KTVL will reimburse theDove (up to $23,420) the expenses relating to KDSO-LD's channel move, including the costs of acquiring and installing the new RF 24 facility. KTVL also agreed not to start operations on RF 16 until KDSO completes its move to RF 24.

So in other words, this religious broadcaster wasn't going to move unless there was some sort of financial incentive involved. That's basically what it came down to.

On 6/18/2022 at 12:04 PM, CircleSeven said:

So follow up regarding KTVL's move to RF 16.

Last fall, I mentioned that a religious broadcaster (which operates on that same allotment) filed an objection to KTVL's move because it would "lose" its "unique voice" in the Medford area. 

It appears there is a settlement between KTVL & theDove Media. 

theDove has agreed to withdraw its objection to the petition (with prejudice). And once KTVL's petition is approved, theDove will file a displacement application to move KDSO-LD from RF 16 to RF 24.

KTVL will reimburse theDove (up to $23,420) the expenses relating to KDSO-LD's channel move, including the costs of acquiring and installing the new RF 24 facility. KTVL also agreed not to start operations on RF 16 until KDSO completes its move to RF 24.

So in other words, this religious broadcaster wasn't going to move unless there was some sort of financial incentive involved. That's basically what it came down to.

Good for them. It costs money to change channels.

New M&A. Owners of the former Fox affiliate in the Central Coast is selling its station.

Seal Rock Broadcasters is selling now CW affil KCBA to VistaWest Media for $1M. 

The paperwork included an SSA & an Option agreements between NPG (owners of KION) & VistaWest.

Edited by CircleSeven

On 6/21/2022 at 3:15 PM, CircleSeven said:

New M&A. Owners of the former Fox affiliate in the Central Coast is selling its station.

Seal Rock Broadcasters is selling now CW affil KCBA to VistaWest Media for $1M. 

The paperwork included an SSA & an Option agreements between NPG (owners of KION) & VistaWest.

I know nothing much will change here in terms of programming but I wonder if there will be an effect on local news and if KION will do more to have more news on KCBA or just keep it status quo as is.

I find it interesting even though I know it won't have much effect.

https://docs.fcc.gov/public/attachments/DA-22-659A2.pdf

We have Auction 112 results.

Weigel takes 6 stations: Ely, Tonopah, Carlsbad, Silver City (x2!), and Wittenberg

Gray nabs 5: Freeport, Winnemucca, Eagle River, Flagstaff, and Yuma

Marquee gets on the board with 3: Price, Walla Walla, and Sheridan

Radiant Life takes Alexandria
Sinclair wins Syracuse
BEK wins Grand Forks
Ventura Media nabs Vernal

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Adam MadMan said:

Hopefully one of the requirements is the new information is part of the public domain; the Nielsen maps being under copyright has always been frustrating.

• Like 1

Couple of things......

After nearly nineteen months, the FCC has finally approved (R&O) the KTVL channel switch (10 > 16). It comes after the station settled with that LP religious broadcaster in Medford.

Also, a small M&A. The Lilly brothers of Brian (WICU (SJL)) & Kevin (WSEE (Lilly)) have teamed up to form Condado Holdings. That firm will acquire Erie's LPs WEPA-LD and WXTM-LD from Commercial Assets, Inc. for $105K.

Edited by CircleSeven

• 4 weeks later...

Okay, the paperwork regarding the construction permit apps of the 18 new allotments are now up.

Aberdeen (SD), Eureka, Fairbanks, Jackson (WY), Butte, Great Falls, Havre (MT), Idaho Falls & Sun Valley (ID) had no bidders.

Had a sense that TCT was going all-in on the Minnesota allotment, but I wished they could've fetched that Aberdeen one to add a repeater to KTTW.

Gray should've broke the bank on Grand Folks. But that's just me. 

On 7/26/2022 at 2:59 AM, CircleSeven said:

Okay, the paperwork regarding the construction permit apps of the 18 new allotments are now up.

Aberdeen (SD), Eureka, Fairbanks, Jackson (WY), Butte, Great Falls, Havre (MT), Idaho Falls & Sun Valley (ID) had no bidders.

Had a sense that TCT was going all-in on the Minnesota allotment, but I wished they could've fetched that Aberdeen one to add a repeater to KTTW.

Gray should've broke the bank on Grand Folks. But that's just me. 

I wonder how the economics work. It's got to be pretty expensive to put up a 2,000 ft Tower in some of these places, which you need out there because you need to cover a lot of sparsely populated territory.

On 8/5/2022 at 4:05 AM, Yankees4life said:

That's a "y tho" from me 🥴

21 hours ago, DirtyHarry said:

Why? Were they pushing the envelope, engineering-wise?

Y'all guesses are good as mine. I would love to know the reason why they withdrew.

At the time they filed these new petitions last year, I was thinking why would they would want to switch these two to UHF? Given that both areas (Grand Junction & Twin Falls) are kind of rural, and probably have more OTA viewership (especially in the far fringes) via outdoor antennas.

Edited by CircleSeven
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, CircleSeven said:

Y'all guesses are good as mine. I would love to know the reason why they withdrew.

At the time they filed these new petitions last year, I was thinking why would they would want to switch these two to UHF? Given that both areas (Grand Junction & Twin Falls) are kind of rural, and probably have more OTA viewership (especially in the far fringes) via outdoor antennas.

In the case of Grand Junction, VHF is probably better due to the mountainous territory and numerous communities between the ridges. Twin Falls would be better on UHF, since the Snake River valley is all they serve.

• Like 1

On 5/12/2022 at 12:44 PM, CircleSeven said:

Anywho, new R&O today. And good news in West Virginia.

FCC has greenlighted WDTV's move from VHF 5 to UHF 33.

Follow up. That was quick.

Apparently, WDTV has switched off of VHF 5 and lit up UHF 33 on Friday (8/12).

The License to Cover of its new allotment/facility was posted today.

Okay unrelated to this, the permits of two new allotments (Alexandria (TCT) & Vernal (Ventura Media)) from Auction 112 was approved last week.

In the case of the Vernal, Ventura has already selected its new callsign. KEMS.

Good news for the Tri-Cities region.

Looks like WCYB is getting ready to light up its UHF signal. That means goodbye to that VHF-low hell-hole.

The station has filed an STA app to light up RF 35 with a power of 374.2 kW for a period of 90 days.

Afterwards, they'll crank up to a full maximized 1 million watts.

Edited by CircleSeven

An update from above:

From Its website, WCYB turned off RF 5 back last Monday (8/22) and are now operating on its STA facility on RF 35.

Good Riddance!

EDIT: Sister station in Green Bay, WLUK is about to switch to the UHF dial (RF 18) this Wednesday at 11am.

Two R&Os today. The PBS stations in Maine.

Edited by CircleSeven
  • Like 2

So two things......

On 3/22/2022 at 3:05 PM, CircleSeven said:

New M&A for Weigel. They're getting an LP in Cleveland.

They're acquiring W27EA-D from Media-Com Television, Inc. for $2.2M.

Follow-up. Weigel is giving this station some fresh new calls. WOCV-CD. It'll be in effect on September 20.

Also, one R&O. A PBS station in Virginia.

Edited by CircleSeven

On 8/29/2022 at 5:47 PM, CircleSeven said:

EDIT: Sister station in Green Bay, WLUK is about to switch to the UHF dial (RF 18) this Wednesday at 11am.

Note how this was done before football season; I will be very happy to have that white whale (ALWAYS been bad since they launched their digi signal) in my channel lineup, and this makes Green Bay an all-UHF market (including whatever Weigel's Wittenberg station will be).

• Like 2