At the FCC

CircleSeven

38 minutes ago, GoldenShine9 said:

I question the WYMT petition. It's a mountainous area where UHF signals don't move too well - VHF signals, while technically not as strong in the immediate area, penetrate more of eastern Kentucky, and that is an area of high poverty (which explains why the Lexington stations practically ignore the area).

I did as well.  But there is WKRC on 12 as well.

I am sure most people down in that area think they are on still channel 57 and just using a small indoor antenna to pick up the channel.

I also heard that WYMT is on dish network and on channel 12 via the Lexington HDTV AVS forums. 

42 minutes ago, CircleSeven said:

New M&A. Looks like Byron Allen is grabbing another TV station in Hawaii.

Allen Media is acquiring Honolulu station KIKU from RNN National for $4M.

Remember last year, the station acquired ABC outlet KITV 4 from SJL Broadcasting for $30M.

He must be having a hard time finding someone to carry those scripted court shows.

On some real stuff, I'd rather see a station carry those than be a dumping ground for infomercials. And besides, everyone else has multiple stations in Hawaii so why not?

Now if RNN would sell everything else, or at least the stations that could be reasonable duopoly bait and provide a second outlet for news and syndicated shows. 

Edited by ColtFromGulfcoast
  • Like 2

20 minutes ago, ColtFromGulfcoast said:

He must be having a hard time finding someone to carry those scripted court shows.

Going by what it was before WRNN bought them out, this looks like a good-faith purchase; the programming statement from Allen basically says ShopHQ is gone the moment the sale goes through, and they'll try their best to restore the old Filipino/Japanese schedule. I really hope this is a good sign that RNN is beginning to realize that throwing home shopping on their stations isn't doing anything for their bottom line. And going by this last note on their website where KIKU's staff basically threw them under the bus (rightfully so), Richard French and friends will not be getting a friendly Aloha out the door from the people actually staffing the station.

And for all that we feared Byron would start a court-show only network and ditch major network affiliations, he's been a good steward and been wise about where and when to put his shows on these stations otherwise.

• Like 2

WOW! This could be Weigel's biggest acquisition yet (in terms of price)......

They're acquiring PMCM's WJLP for $62.5M!

The deal also includes NYC LP outlet WNWT-LD.

So PMCM has now sold both of its TV stations. WDPN was sold to Marantha Broadcasting (owners of WFMZ) in 2015 for $25M.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, CircleSeven said:

WOW! This could be Weigel's biggest acquisition yet (in terms of price)......

They're acquiring PMCM's WJLP for $62.5M!

The deal also includes NYC LP outlet WNWT-LD.

So PMCM has now sold both of its TV stations. WDPN was sold to Marantha Broadcasting (owners of WFMZ) in 2015 for $25M.

I don't get it but I guess Weigal wants a NY station. I hope they solve the signal issues with that station (even if it means co-channeling)

45 minutes ago, Yankees4life said:

I don't get it but I guess Weigal wants a NY station. I hope they solve the signal issues with that station (even if it means co-channeling)

WJLP is about to lose a bunch of Scripps networks to WPXN and the rest are Luken trash or oddballs which can find better homes, so it's a good purchase. It might not solve reception issues, but a cleaner channel map up to Weigel's standards will definitely help, along with having WZME now.

The lighhousing situation, whenever it hits New York, should especially help with their reception issues once they find their ATSC 1 host (if they do pursue it).

3 hours ago, Yankees4life said:

WJLP is licensed to Middletown Township, NJ, with that, maybe Weigel can make it a New Jersey centric station and take the heat off WWOR.

3 hours ago, mrschimpf said:

WJLP is about to lose a bunch of Scripps networks to WPXN and the rest are Luken trash or oddballs which can find better homes, so it's a good purchase. It might not solve reception issues, but a cleaner channel map up to Weigel's standards will definitely help, along with having WZME now.

The lighhousing situation, whenever it hits New York, should especially help with their reception issues once they find their ATSC 1 host (if they do pursue it).

Doesn’t WJLP still airing current affairs programs?

19 minutes ago, KrocKing said:

There is currently a pending sale of WJLP to Weigel Broadcasting in the works.

If it actually goes through, I could only assume some of its sub channels, including the radio station simulcasts, would be handed over to sister station WNWT.

You must not have seen my previous post above.

Almost for certain those radio simulcasts (from the incumbent owner) will likely see the ax once Weigel completes the deal.

On 1/21/2021 at 3:11 PM, CircleSeven said:

And to no surprise..... Commissioner Jessica Rosenworcel is now the acting Chairwomen of the agency.

It only took nine months, but Rosenworcel has now been appointed as permanent chair of the FCC.

Gigi Sohn will take the vacant commissioner's seat.

Edited by CircleSeven

On 10/27/2021 at 12:40 AM, Samantha said:

Gray is WYMPing out: they're acquiring WYMP-LD 14, virtual 7, southeast of Memphis (Bruce, Mississippi) from 5GTV for $500,000.

On October 18, Gray executed a subchannel lease agreement with 5GTV, too.

This is yet another attempt for Gray to have an in-city translator for those viewers in Shelby County who are unable to receive WMC's VHF 5 signal. Earlier this year, WYMP filed an app to move the LP closer to the city.

Last summer, WMC filed an app for a fill-in translator on RF 14 (despite the FCC placing a hard freeze on new DRTs a decade ago). Then last November (the Black Friday dump), they filed that petition to get the full power off of VHF 5 and move it to UHF 30.

As of now (10/29), the FCC has yet to act on either one of these measures. 

• 3 weeks later...
On 6/16/2021 at 1:48 PM, CircleSeven said:

R&O:

Channel 9 Freeport

Looks like Gray would have to apply and bid for the new allotment. On the bottom of the order it stated this:

7. IT IS FURTHER ORDERED, That the newly allotted channel 9 at Freeport, Illinois, SHALL BE AUTHORIZED pursuant to the Commission competitive bidding rules, 47 CFR §§ 73.5000 et seq.

So big follow up regarding two new allotments (Ch. 9 Freeport, IL & Ch. 26 Eagle River, WI). 

The two are a part of 27 construction permits of full power television stations that'll be up for auction, which is tentatively scheduled to begin next June.

44 minutes ago, CircleSeven said:

So big follow up regarding two new allotments (Ch. 9 Freeport, IL & Ch. 26 Eagle River, WI). 

The two are a part of 27 construction permits of full power television stations that'll be up for auction, which is tentatively scheduled to begin next June.

The Wausau market allotments are interesting Gray doesn’t need the Eagle River one anymore with WYOW but do they bid on it so WAOW or Wisconsin PBS can’t grab it and then don’t build it out? Can Gray own multiple satellite stations in the same area or move it to the UP of Michigan and simulcast WLUC? Ch. 31 in Whittenburg is the former full power Fox affiliate WFXS, Gray has a CP for a low power station on ch. 31 atop the main tower tv tower in Wausau, would WJFW bid on it to improve the signal where most of the population lives? 

Gray is going to bid for the Freeport allotment.  

In any event it’s going to take years before any of these stations sign on.

Edited by doublejman69

I'm surprised the Iron Mountain channel 8 allotment (that formerly of WDHS/Withers) wasn't a part of this package. If it wasn't for the Withers estate just spinning the license and turning on the transmitter once a day every year until 2015, you would've thought Barrington would've picked it up to put WLUC-DT2 on its own signal (the license was cancelled just before Gray bought WLUC).

A lot of cancelled/spectrum-surrendered licenses I recognized are back up for bids; I see within there the infamous KCPM/Grand Forks allocation that Gray couldn't get/convince the FCC to give them during the pandemic because the station hadn't actually had a licensed facility since 2014. KCWK/9 in Walla Walla, KFXF/7 from Fairbanks, WNYS/15(?) in Syracuse, and KCCO/7 in Alexandria, MN, along with Equity's old Fox Montana network. That's what I can remember off the top of my head.

Edited by mrschimpf

13 hours ago, mrschimpf said:

I see within there the infamous KCPM/Grand Forks allocation that Gray couldn't get/convince the FCC to give them during the pandemic because the station hadn't actually had a licensed facility since 2014. 

It wasn't really Gray's fault. It was owners of KCPM that kept the station off the air all that time. I wouldn't be all that shocked if Gray try to bid for that allotment again. Also, do they want to bid for Aberdeen again (KABY)? 

13 hours ago, mrschimpf said:

KCWK/9 in Walla Walla, KFXF/7 from Fairbanks, WNYS/15(?) in Syracuse, and KCCO/7 in Alexandria, MN, along with Equity's old Fox Montana network. That's what I can remember off the top of my head.

WNYS was suppose to move to RF 15 in the repack. That was before Apollo turned-in that license.

There also a few that were occupied by the late Jim Rogers' Intermountain West Communications group. Including two (Ely, NV & Jackson, WY) that those stations were later moved to the east coast. Initially, the FCC didn't want KVNV & KJWY to be moved, but the courts gotten involved and reversed their decision.

Some good news in the Cornhusker State.

For the first time since the tower collapse almost two years ago, KOLN has now lit up RF 10. 

This STA message stated that it was lit up last Thursday (11/18). The station has informed its viewers to rescan their TVs after 10am tomorrow (11/23).

No word on when KSNB's UHF 24 signal will be up and running yet.

• Like 2