At the FCC

CircleSeven

New PRM.

Gray wants Presque Isle, ME's WAGM off of VHF 8 and move to UHF 28.

This is very interesting because, their close sister station to the south of them (WABI) is on the VHF dial (RF 13). Their former owners moved them off of UHF (RF 19) a decade ago. Could this be reversed in the future?

Also, this the probably the first time I've seen a break up of a channel sharing arrangement.

Telemundo O&O in Providence WRIW, has ended its CSA with Scripps' Ion O&O WPXQ.

The station is now off the air,  as they try to find a new channel to share with.

A small M&A. Weigel gets another LP.

They're acquiring Marshalltown, IA KDAO-CD from MTN Broadcasting for $195K.

Two things come to mind. 

One, their signal only serves the immediate Marshalltown area which is northeast of Des Moines. So I wouldn't be surprised if Weigel moves it closer to the capital city, should this deal be completed.

Another thing is that Weigel is getting another LP, in the same city where the Hearst station (KCCI) carries their crown jewel MeTV. They also bought an unbuilt LP-permit (in one of the HC2 deals) near Orlando, where another Hearst station (WESH) carry MeTV.

Hearst has been one of strongest groups to carry the network. And it would be a shame if it gets moved off of full power signal for the LP. I'm hoping they add the other networks on the LP and keep MeTV on Channel 8. 

Edited by CircleSeven

2 hours ago, CircleSeven said:

Another thing is that Weigel is getting another LP, in the same city where the Hearst station (KCCI) carries their crown jewel MeTV. They also bought an unbuilt LP-permit (in one of the HC2 deals) near Orlando, where another Hearst station (WESH) carry MeTV.

Hearst has been one of strongest groups to carry the network. And it would be a shame if it gets moved off of full power signal for the LP. I'm hoping they add the other networks on the LP and keep MeTV on Channel 8. 

I think this is equivalent to the situation they have in Denver, where their networks got booted thanks to Scripps, Nexstar and Tegna, so they bought KREG to make sure their networks had a place in the market, while keeping MeTV on KCNC. Hearst (and ViacomCBS) is a big Weigel advocate and outside the ShopLC, Estrella, Cozi and True Crime Network deals sprinkled throughout the chain, isn't going into the subchannel business themselves and are happy to take the DRTV split.

Likely this is more about getting H&I, Start and Movies! a constant home in the market, since outside Hearst, the rest of the market is Scripps/Nexstar/Tegna and their networks, and the days of them giving space to Weigel are sadly over (same in Salt Lake with Nexstar/Sinclair/Scripps, thus the purchase of KCSG). MeTV will stay on KCCI, but both Weigel and Hearst don't want to bit-starve stations to get the sister networks on the air, in turn.

• Like 2

On 7/23/2021 at 10:26 AM, CircleSeven said:

Telemundo O&O in Providence WRIW, has ended its CSA with Scripps' Ion O&O WPXQ.

The station is now off the air,  as they try to find a new channel to share with.

I saw this. My personal guess is that Telemundo was taking up space that Scripps wanted for itself and, as a CSA, it had to be terminated.

There were several other Telemundo subchannels on Ion transmitters: Atlanta (// the LPTV affiliate there), Portland, Sacramento, Seattle.

One of the Ion transmitters (WPXG Concord NH) has Daystar as a channel share (WYDN). Another has a UHF simulcast of the Scripps VHF station in the market (Tulsa).

The other oddities are Columbus, a full-service license on an LPTV stick and there are only two subs Ion controls (shared with Daystar) and WKOI in the Dayton market, which is just one subchannel on a three-license mux.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

There's an amendment regarding one of the petitions. 

Dominion Broadcasting's WLMB Toledo proposed to move from VHF 5 to UHF 35. It was advanced to NPRM on March 4.

But it appears to be a complaint north of the border (don't know if CRTC or Global TV complained). The Canadians feared that WLMB's new signal could interfere with Sarnia-Oil Springs, ON Global affiliate CIII-29, which operates on the same allotment (RF 35).

Here's the contours of both signals (WLMB new signal & the CIII-29's).

So, WLMB has amended its petition to swap its antenna from an omni-directional to a directional one. But it appears that they want to stay on RF 35.

Don't know if this would remedy the Canadian's interference concerns. The contours don't look much different.

50 minutes ago, CircleSeven said:

New PRMs today.

Gray has filed four new petitions to get them off of VHF.

And there is WYMT. Didn't think it would ever leave VHF 12. Sounds like they will get some height as well from the old analog channel 57 antenna.  Shocked that is won't interfere with nearby WDKY-19 and WKYT-21. 

WLEX also got a nice pump in power and a little more height. 

Edited by LexTVandRadio

Too bad Raycom let WUAB's former UHF home on 28 go in the spectrum auction (which they probably got a handsome return on). 

So now that leaves Gray with the always problematic channel 10 allotment that both WOIO and WUAB share, and their gaggle of low power repeaters, including the recently acquired WOHZ in Mansfield and the former Franken-FM WLFM in Cleveland....

Is there any hope of WOIO/WUAB moving off of 10 onto a full powered UHF facility in the area?  Even on one of their translator stations?

Edited by tyrannical bastard
Clarification
  • Like 1

On 9/2/2021 at 7:25 AM, tyrannical bastard said:

So now that leaves Gray with the always problematic channel 10 allotment that both WOIO and WUAB share, and their gaggle of low power repeaters, including the recently acquired WOHZ in Mansfield and the former Franken-FM WLFM in Cleveland....

Is there any hope of WOIO/WUAB moving off of 10 onto a full powered UHF facility in the area?  Even on one of their translator stations?

It is difficult to find a vacant channel that wouldn't cause intereference with stations on the same allotment in adjacent markets. Especially when you live in the Northeast quadrant of the country where the use of the TV spectrum is extremely high (even post-repack). Also, you have these Class A LPs that are protected from being displaced from their allotments (unlike the regular LPs and translators). 

Most of the channel changes have happened in roughly smaller markets in the South, Midwest & West where they're not using that much spectrum. I was shocked to see WRGB found a channel given that heavy spectrum use in that part of the country.

Take for example, RF 20 in Cleveland (where LP station WLFM-LD occupies, the one Gray just bought). If they want a full power allotment on RF 20, the FCC wouldn't allow it because it would greatly interfere with that Sinclair station in Pittsburgh (WPGH 53, also on 20) and that PBS outlet in Detroit (WTVS 56, also on 20). Here's the contours of the three stations (the LP, and the two full powers) I'm talking about.

I'm not saying don't give up hope. I'm also not saying to hold your breath either. 

This is why you see Gray gobbling up on these unbuilt LP-permits and some operating LPs. I'm hoping they'll light some of these up and not let it sit and let the permits expire.

Anywho, we have a new M&A. Weigel is getting more LPs.

They're buying four Class A LPs (three from SoCal and one in VA, west of DC) from Venture Technologies for $17M.

KPOM shares spectrum with KSFV; while KHTV shares spectrum with already-owned KAZA-TV.

And let me also mention that Weigel has completed the WZME sale from NRJ TV on 8/31.

Also, another M&A from last month. Scripps bought a couple of LPs-permits from Mako Communications for $70K.

• K32OR-D Palm Springs, CA
  • W33EP-D Key West, FL

Also, Nexstar has gotten the FCC greenlight of the KGBT deal. So it'll be a legal duopoly with KVEO once its closes.

And finally, KSNB received its construction permit for its RF 24 York allotment. The Federal Register posted the final rule eight days after the R&O was posted (8/31). And received the permit three days after that (9/2). That was fast.

Should the installation of the KOLN tower be completed, this would be the first time all big-4 network stations (based out of Lincoln and on its primary .1 signals) would be easily reachable in the capital city. That includes KLKN (ABC) & KFXL (Fox).

Edited by CircleSeven

2 hours ago, CircleSeven said:

It is difficult to find a vacant channel that wouldn't cause intereference with stations on the same allotment in adjacent markets. Especially when you live in the Northeast quadrant of the country where the use of the TV spectrum is extremely high (even post-repack). Also, you have these Class A LPs that are protected from being displaced from their allotments (unlike the regular LPs and translators). 

Most of the channel changes have happened in roughly smaller markets in the South, Midwest & West where they're not using that much spectrum. I was shocked to see WRGB found a channel given that heavy spectrum use in that part of the country.

Take for example, RF 20 in Cleveland (where LP station WLFM-LD occupies, the one Gray just bought). If they want a full power allotment on RF 20, the FCC wouldn't allow it because it would greatly interfere with that Sinclair station in Pittsburgh (WPGH 53, also on 20) and that PBS outlet in Detroit (WTVS 56, also on 20). Here's the contours of the three stations (the LP, and the two full powers) I'm talking about.

I'm not saying don't give up hope. I'm also not saying to hold your breath either. 

This is why you see Gray gobbling up on these unbuilt LP-permits and some operating LPs. I'm hoping they'll light some of these up and not let it sit and let the permits expire.

Anywho, we have a new M&A. Weigel is getting more LPs.

They're buying four Class A LPs (three from SoCal and one in VA, west of DC) from Venture Technologies for $17M.

KPOM shares spectrum with KSFV; while KHTV shares spectrum with already-owned KAZA-TV.

And let me also mention that Weigel has completed the WZME sale from NRJ TV on 8/31.

Also, another M&A from last month. Scripps bought a couple of LPs-permits from Mako Communications for $70K.

• K32OR-D Palm Springs, CA
  • W33EP-D Key West, FL

Also, Nexstar has gotten the FCC greenlight of the KGBT deal. So it'll be a legal duopoly with KVEO once its closes.

And finally, KSNB received its construction permit for its RF 24 York allotment. The Federal Register posted the final rule eight days after the R&O was posted (8/31). And received the permit three days after that (9/2). That was fast.

Should the installation of the KOLN tower be completed, this would be the first time all big-4 network stations (based out of Lincoln and on its primary .1 signals) would be easily reachable in the capital city. That includes KLKN (ABC) & KFXL (Fox).

Fixed.

Edited by Joey1986
  • Like 1

A couple of M&A approvals today.

• The KTNL deal in Sitka, AK to Ketchikan Television.
  • The KASA deal (along with the plethora of LPs & translators in NM) to NBC/Telemundo.

On 7/19/2021 at 2:06 PM, CircleSeven said:

So follow up.

Thanks to Pai's dereg rule, Nexstar wants to acquire KGBT outright.

.....and they got it. Deal completed today (9/15).

On 9/1/2021 at 1:47 PM, CircleSeven said:

New PRMs today.

Gray has filed four new petitions to get them off of VHF.

Two PRMs (KNOE & WYMT) have advanced to NPRM. 

I really thought the WYMT one would be the hold up petition giving that they're roughly close to Cincinnati's WLWT (which serves northern Kentucky) whose also on RF 20. Look at the two contours here.

There is a hold up, however regarding Medford Oregon's KTVL move from VHF 10 to UHF 16.

A religious broadcaster theDove Media (the owner of LP station KDSO-LD, which currently occupies on RF 16) filed comments against KTVL's move to their allotment. They say it would "lose" its "unique voice" in the market if the LP gets displaced, and that CBS would be lost to about 9,000 people should the channel move occurs. What's even more shocking is that they even written a "counterproposal" to have a "new" full power signal on RF 16. 

KTVL wrote a reply to their comments stating that if they want a full power signal, there are five other vacant UHF allotments they can file a petition for.

Listen, I understand that theDove wants to stay on RF 16 and not want a big CBS affiliate taking their allotment or whatever. But here's the problem. theDove doesn't have any standing. LPs & translators don't get protection over their allotments (Class A LPs DO get protection, but KDSO-LD is not a Class A). So if a full power wants to occupy on an allotment an LP is currently in, they can do so. That means the LP has to find a new allotment to go to.

So I think in the end, the FCC is going to greenlight KTVL's UHF switch, and put theDove's "counterproposal" to bed.

I question the WYMT petition. It's a mountainous area where UHF signals don't move too well - VHF signals, while technically not as strong in the immediate area, penetrate more of eastern Kentucky, and that is an area of high poverty (which explains why the Lexington stations practically ignore the area).

• Like 1