At the FCC

CircleSeven

3 hours ago, CubsFan79 said:

Did not surprise me Sinclair sold KGBT TV to Mission Broadcasting. Will the sale be approved, and will CBS return to KGBT.

I wonder if that was the plan all along, as Nexstar kept the CBS 4 branding on the station, even though it was on 23.2...

• Like 1

4 hours ago, CubsFan79 said:

Did not surprise me Sinclair sold KGBT TV to Mission Broadcasting. Will the sale be approved, and will CBS return to KGBT.

20 hours ago, Yankees4life said:

I imagine Nexstar will reinstate the CBS affiliation on KGBT as they used their sidecar to buy it instead of them proper...

I'm going to say, don't hold your breath.

I think I've said something on similar lines almost three years ago. When Quincy acquired the former sidecar stations KDLH & WISE from SagamoreHill. Pai just loosen the ownership limits and they didn't need the failed waiver.

On 7/10/2018 at 11:06 PM, CircleSeven said:

Let's go back to the question that was asked when this deal was announced:

Could we see CBS return to KDLH and NBC return to WISE once the deal is done ?

I wouldn't be surprised if they reverse the network switches.

As you see almost 33 months later, the affiliation switches never occured.

• The CW is still on KDLH & WISE. 
  • CBS is still on the sub of KBJR. 
  • And NBC is still on the sub of WPTA. 

So what I'm saying is don't hold your breath if CBS stays on KVEO 23.2.

Nexstar has both networks on the same spectrum. Why should move CBS back to 4.1 at this point? Sinclair has recently moved some Fox affiliates from the main channel on their sidecar stations to a sub of the parent station. And NPG has done the same in a couple of markets.

21 hours ago, Samantha said:

Weigel is buying six LPTV permits from HC2 for $145,333:

K15IQ-D Portland, Oregon

WZDS-LD Evansville, Indiana

W30EM-D Orlando, Florida

W32EQ-D Birmingham, Alabama

K36LI-D Portland, Oregon

K20OO-D Sacramento, California

Hearst carries MeTV in three of those markets (Birmingham [WVTM], Orlando [WESH] & Sacramento [KCRA]). And unlike Nexstar, Hearst is one of its strongest groups to carry the network.

Unless they're trying to fill those other diginets (that's not cleared in those markets), it would be a shame if they move the network away from the Hearst subs to these LPs (should they light them up). 

I should also point out regarding Weigel's previous HC2 transaction, Weigel will start carrying MeTV to KAZD 55.1 & KYAZ 51.1 at 4am/CT Monday morning. 

Edited by CircleSeven
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

On 3/26/2021 at 4:20 PM, CircleSeven said:

I should also point out regarding Weigel's previous HC2 transaction, Weigel will start carrying MeTV to KAZD 55.1 & KYAZ 51.1 at 4am/CT Monday morning. 

In Houston, MeTV comes from KPRC. KPRC also carries 2 other Weigel diginets: Start and H&I. Curious to see if Weigel grabs them too. That would leave KPRC without any subchannels. (Although they could probably loot some, like Cozi, from indy station KUBE.) 

1 hour ago, Greggo said:

In Houston, MeTV comes from KPRC. KPRC also carries 2 other Weigel diginets: Start and H&I. Curious to see if Weigel grabs them too. That would leave KPRC without any subchannels. (Although they could probably loot some, like Cozi, from indy station KUBE.) 

As of Monday, Start is moving from 2.4 to 2.2. That and H&I are (at least for now) staying on KPRC.

Edited by CircleSeven

More HC2 LP-permit shedding.

Major Market Broadcasting (owner of Fargo, ND station KRDK-TV) is getting six of them for $100K.

• W19DN-D Macon, GA
  • W22DW-D Lafayette, IN 
  • K22OG-D Fargo, ND
  • K25LY-D Fargo, ND
  • K27LX-D Minot, ND
  • K23MB-D Minot, ND

Another one I forgot to mention, Waypoint Media (Jonesboro TV, LLC) is getting two for $28K.

• K14SW-D Jonesboro, AR
  • K34QK-D Jonesboro, AR
Edited by CircleSeven

4 hours ago, CircleSeven said:

More HC2 LP-permit shedding.

Major Market Broadcasting (owner of Fargo, ND station KRDK-TV) is getting six of them for $100K.

• W19DN-D Macon, GA
  • W22DW-D Lafayette, IN 
  • K22OG-D Fargo, ND
  • K25LY-D Fargo, ND
  • K27LX-D Minot, ND
  • K23MB-D Minot, ND

Another one I forgot to mention, Waypoint Media (Jonesboro TV, LLC) is getting two for $28K.

• K14SW-D Jonesboro, AR
  • K34QK-D Jonesboro, AR

I can easily see Waypoint (which will be inevitably be scooped up by Kim) using those two LPs as repeaters 

Edited by Yankees4life

31 minutes ago, Yankees4life said:

That's a Marquee sidecar there BTW.

Marquee has nevered "sidecar"-ed with Lowcountry. They've both have swapped LPs with each other last year. But they have no ties with each other.

And again, no company needs to sidecar when acquiring LPs (either operational or unbuilt).

I don't understand why you continue to think one company is buying the LPs on behalf of another when there's no ownership limitations on LPs.

• Thanks 2
  • Confused 1

Here's a question....

Since the Spectrum Auction, have there been any licencees that have applied or been granted a license to operate a channel on an existing frequency shared with an existing licencee?

It seems like the modern equivalency of the stations that shared a frequency during different day parts in the early history of broadcasting.... 

Edited by tyrannical bastard

1 hour ago, tyrannical bastard said:

Here's a question....

Since the Spectrum Auction, have there been any licencees that have applied or been granted a license to operate a channel on an existing frequency shared with an existing licencee?

Let me try to clarify what you're saying.

Are you talking about a station (licensee) who already channel-sharing with another on the same frequency? Or are you talking about a license for a brand new station and that new station is sharing the frequency with an already-established station?

If you're talking about the latter, the FCC hasn't approved licenses for new TV stations. I know Gray has filed for two new licenses (Freeport, IL & Eagle River, WI) but those are on vacant frequencies (9 & 26 respectively). There hasn't been any station that has filed a new license on an already-occupied frequency. 

11 minutes ago, CircleSeven said:

Let me try to clarify what you're saying.

Are you talking about a station (licensee) who already channel-sharing with another on the same frequency? Or are you talking about a license for a brand new station and that new station is sharing the frequency with an already-established station?

If you're talking about the latter, the FCC hasn't approved licenses for new TV stations. I know Gray has filed for two new licenses (Freeport, IL & Eagle River, WI) but those are on vacant frequencies (9 & 26 respectively). There hasn't been any station that has filed a new license on an already-occupied frequency. 

A brand new station shacking up on an existing frequency.

Certain markets seem to be maxed out on the UHF frequency, but they'll probably have to settle for VHF unless they can make a deal with an existing licencee.   It may have to happen with the low-power holders especially if someone like Weigel wants to move in to a market where HC2 wants to stay and they split a channel.

Then again, it's probably easier to buy or sell rather than trying to apply for a new license in the first place...

Edited by tyrannical bastard
  • Like 2

Update on the channel changes.

We have a Report & Order (R&O).

FCC has effectively approved the channel change for KRIS from 13 to 26.

Now they'll have a month to file a new minor change app to get the permit. 

And two PRMs have advanced to NPRMs. And these are Sinclair outlets on the low-VHF dial.

On 1/11/2021 at 6:38 PM, Samantha said:

WWCP in Johnstown, Pennsylvania, is being transferred closer into Sinclair's orbit.

Peak Media is selling the station to Johnstown (WWCP-TV) Licensee, which will be a Cunningham subsidiary. Peak already had brokered the station's time to Cunningham. Cunningham will acquire WWCP-TV's antenna, its Fox affiliation agreement, and its 1996 Interim Operating Agreement to operate WATM-TV for $2.85 million.

The sale was consummated on April 1.

New update on channel changes.

And big news regarding the Channel 9 Freeport petition (PRM). It has advanced to Notice of Proposed Rulemaking (NPRM), which is the comment phase of the rulemaking process.

As you know Gray sold its former RF 41 signal during the auction. And it has been seeking a new signal since its LP signal (WIFR-LD) on RF 28 have been problematic for viewers. The LP is not at full strength because has to protect WISN 12 in Milwaukee, which its also on the same allotment.

But they're also in the middle of the Quincy acquisition, which includes NBC outlet WREX. So should they get approval of this new allotment, plus the Quincy deal, it would give Gray two full-power signals in Rockford.

Also,

• The FCC issued an R&O, approving the KRCG change from 12 to 29.
  • And KVAL PRM from 13 to 28, have advanced to NPRM.

Edited by CircleSeven

.....And two more have advanced today (4/16).

Sinclair is waiting on four remaining petitions to advance (KRCR, KECI, KTVM & KHSV).

Also, the Channel 26 Eagle River allotment has now advanced to NPRM.

Gray wants to keep WYOW in the Quincy deal. But its new license petition (on the same stick) is moving forward...... 

Edited by CircleSeven

On 4/21/2021 at 9:46 AM, CircleSeven said:

Let's see if KTVM advance, as it seeks the same allotment as KECI. 

KTVM (6 > 20) has advanced to NPRM.

And we have three R&Os, effectively approving those channel switches.

Edited by CircleSeven

Scripps is buying a pair of LPTVs in St. George, Utah, from Cherry Creek Radio. The LPTVs are fixer-uppers because they need to be converted to digital and Scripps won't even get the tower leases.

KVBT-LP has a long and interesting history. It was established by Washington County as K79CA, translator for Las Vegas's KORK/KVBC, and moved to channel 41 in 1981. It was acquired by radio cluster owner MB Media in 1993 and continued on with local ad insertions. In 2001, a kerfuffle about the ability of KVBC to permit local ad insertions led the deal to be dropped and MB signed on to rebroadcast KVWB. It is very hard to ascertain the present program source of these facilities.

CCR also owns four translators that appear to be KSTU relays. There is no filing to sell them, but that also must be part of this. They need digital conversion and channels for them were accommodated in Utah's transmitter repack plan.

Edited by Samantha

It's been silent nearly a year and challenged by its NCE status, but the Diocese of Fresno has finally found a taker for KNXT Visalia CA and its associated LPTV in Bakersfield.

The buyer is two companies, Vita Broadcasting and My Central Valley, LLC. They have pretty much the same principals. Vita is paying $50,000 for the NCE license; the LPTV and all the other tangible assets, including tower land for the Visalia station, are going for $450,000.

25 minutes ago, Samantha said:

It's been silent nearly a year and challenged by its NCE status, but the Diocese of Fresno has finally found a taker for KNXT Visalia CA and its associated LPTV in Bakersfield.

The buyer is two companies, Vita Broadcasting and My Central Valley, LLC. They have pretty much the same principals. Vita is paying $50,000 for the NCE license; the LPTV and all the other tangible assets, including tower land for the Visalia station, are going for $450,000.

Link please.