At the FCC

CircleSeven

Considering that St. George is over 250 miles from SLC, I wonder if Weigel is planning on starting a news division.

EDIT: Another idea: What if Weigel is planning on trying to purchase KSTU or whichever station is spun off from the Sinclair/Tribune merger?

They're likely to get the hollow shells. Book on the Tribune stations in conflict markets being moved to a subchannel, and Sinclair spins off the remaining licenses, and nothing else.

KSTU will be moved to a KUTV or KJZZ subchannel. It's a foregone conclusion.

• Like 1

I think it *still has* news. Their program guide lists "St. George News at 8" which appears to be a partnership with this website.

Here's a taste:

The music is a production track; I heard it on an open from Belize once.

Those spots have pretty good production values...and they are med related.

What does that tell us... my "TV Sales 101" students???

https://www.mediajobcenter.com/jobs/knoxville-tv-station-for-sale-in-knoxville-tennessee-us/

A few years after selling WBXX to Gray in a trade for KAKE, Lockwood is now ready to say sayonara to WKNX. Anyone see this becoming duopoly bait?

Possibly, but it depends on who buys WKNX from Lockwood. Nexstar and TEGNA are possible, but so is Raycom.

• Like 2

For me, TEGNA is the most likely vote but then Nexstar. Raycom may be the least likely in my opinion.

Unless Raycom starts a standalone news operation? I don't think Knoxville has ever had four operations.

There are 10 full powers with 9 owners in Knoxville, so one of them CAN legally acquire WKNX and create a duopoly.

• Like 1

Unless Raycom starts a standalone news operation? I don't think Knoxville has ever had four operations.

There are 10 full powers with 9 owners in Knoxville, so one of them CAN legally acquire WKNX and create a duopoly.

Between Raycom, Tegna and Nexstar, which do you think is the most likely to make a move?

Nexstar hands down.

May as well call it now. Heck, Nexstar will probably pick up WHDF and KTEN as well. If Lockwood plans on leaving the business altogether. But if Tegna got it, they could get KTEN and WSKY in a package deal. WSKY could create a duopoly with WVEC. (That may need additional vetting however to make sure Norfolk can support another duopoly.)

May as well call it now. Heck, Nexstar will probably pick up WHDF and KTEN as well. If Lockwood plans on leaving the business altogether. But if Tegna got it, they could get KTEN and WSKY in a package deal. WSKY could create a duopoly with WVEC. (That may need additional vetting however to make sure Norfolk can support another duopoly.)

Nexstar can't acquire KAKE+ though as they already own KSNW+.

• Like 2

Nexstar can't pick up WHDF - not enough full power stations in the market (unless they can pull a failing station stunt).

J

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

New M&A. Our lovely Eureka station is about to get a new owner.

KIEM 3 owners Pollack/Belz is selling the station to Bryan Brady (Redwood Television Partners) for $3.5M.

But wait a minute. Don't they currently own CBS station KVIQ?

But I find this interesting at the bottom of the paperwork.

The Assignee also owns television station KVIQ, Eureka, CA. Assignee is contemporaneously filing an application to assign that station.

So could this mean, they're going to "refile" a KVIQ app and apply for a failed station waiver? This would be a first if this happens.

• Like 1

New M&A. Our lovely Eureka station is about to get a new owner.

KIEM 3 owners Pollack/Belz is selling the station to Bryan Brady (Redwood Television Partners) for $3.5M.

But I find this interesting at the bottom of the paperwork.

So could this mean, they're going to "refile" a KVIQ app and apply for a failed station waiver? This would be a first if this happens.

That one is interesting. I thought it should've gone to a different company. Heartland perhaps so that it can have KIEM and KHSL/KNVN. Sinclair will soon have KRCR and KAEF as well as KCVU and KBVU.

• Like 2

That one is interesting. I thought it should've gone to a different company. Heartland perhaps so that it can have KIEM and KHSL/KNVN. Sinclair will soon have KRCR and KAEF as well as KCVU and KBVU.

Wow,

KRCR under Sinclair...

That should be real interesting for all those of the KRCR fandom. You can't just watch KRCR to get the feel of the market / community...

You have to go there and experience the area.

It's a different place far from the California most know of.

• Like 1

So follow-up. The assignee of the KVIQ app is not Redwood. It's a name we have not seen since the Hoak deal nearly four years ago.

Brady is selling KVIQ to Prime Cities Broadcasting (former owner of KNDX/KXND) for a measly $10K.

It also says on the purchase agreement that they have to apply for a new callsign by the deal's closing.

1.9 Call Sign. At or prior to closing, upon written notice from seller, Buyer and Seller will apply for a new call sign for the station and the current call sign (KVIQ) will be assigned to a station specified by seller.

This makes me think that CBS programming could be moving to either KIEM's sub or on an LP.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...