At the FCC

CircleSeven

Of course, it will continue to get destroyed by WBKO in the ratings.

What do you expect when their only other major TV station is a station in the Delmarva (WMDT)?

They're just exchanging one small broadcaster for another to keep things a status quo.

• 2 weeks later...

I know we just said goodbye to Schurz (TV-wise) and to Bay City Television but there's another thing to say goodbye to... WHTV.

No one noticed here but WHTV (Lansing) has finally shut down. It's the first television station in the country to shut down as a result of the recent FCC Spectrum Auction.

I know we just said goodbye to Schurz (TV-wise) and to Bay City Television but there's another thing to say goodbye to... WHTV.

No one noticed here but WHTV (Lansing) has finally shut down. It's the first television station in the country to shut down as a result of the recent FCC Spectrum Auction.

Gray also brought down WAGT/Augusta, KSPR/Springfield, MO and WIFR/Rockford's full-power licenses yesterday too and turned those licenses into the FCC, though technically they're all still up on the same facilities, just on low-power licenses where the power is turned down on those existing towers. WIFR's LD license was a middle-of-nowhere one from DTV America purchased by Gray and moved to Rockford.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
Follow-Up.

After over twenty-seven months after the announcement of this sell, The Broadcast Trust has withdrawn the application.

With the recent reinstatement of the UHF loophole, could Ion end up buying these stations outright?

And that is exactly what they're going to do.

Ion is also buying Boise's former Fox station KTRV from Block. Terms of these deals weren't disclosed.

• Like 5

Remember, WBIN will be channel-sharing on WUTF's frequency, which was mentioned before here.

I wonder if Univision programming will end up moving from 27 to 50 and Entravision gets frozen out in the cold.

I wonder how far east the WUNI tower can be moved because this could be a) a full-power home for WBTS or b) a new home for WBPX with WBTS moving to the current WBPX.

The WUTF signal covers the market very well from their tower about 10 miles NW of the Needham towers, with pattern mainly directional east. WUNI coverage is not quite as good, but not bad. Whether WUNI could move or not depends on what the future ch 19 signal could interfere with.

Univision could sell the WBIN license to WBTS, making a tidy profit, probably - but would have to increase the channel sharing bandwidth from the small percentage included in the Binnie agreement.

This station sale in El Paso won't make sense if you don't know the players.

BGM License, LLC is selling K26KJ-D (an LPTV using VC 25) to Martín Lorenzo Smith in a minority shareholder option for a grand total of $750. It might seem like a mundane sale for a low purchase price, but it gets far more useful.

BGM License is majority owned by members of the Cabada family with American citizenship. Members of the Cabada family with Mexican citizenship are in the broadcasting business in Mexicali and Ciudad Juárez (XHILA Canal 66 and XHIJ Canal 44). These Cabada companies hold the FCC licenses for two stations in Calexico and Yuma that rebroadcast XHILA, and for K26KJ, which in a past life relayed XHIJ.

Smith, or Larry Smith as he is known, is the Director of International Public Relations and Sales for Grupo Multimedios. Multimedios has been programming this station for several years now (ever since it signed on in digital) and uses it as its station to broadcast to El Paso, Las Cruces and Juárez. The shareholders agreement in the application says that the shareholder is Texas Multi Tele Ventas, Inc. A search of the name brings up addresses in Houston and McAllen. The Houston address is occupied by KHLM, the Multimedios station in Houston.

This is El Paso's only LPTV (due to the obvious constraints that come with having to fit two sets of national TV networks into effectively one city of spectrum).

TVNewsCheck reports that Max Media is selling WNKY to Marquee Broadcasting.

TVNewsCheck stated that Marquee will close on the WNKY sale tomorrow. And has appointed its station GM Linda Gray, as the new cheir operating officer for the Marquee group.

The station's sales manager Julie Milam will replace Gray as GM of WNKY.

With WNKY's sale being close, could the sell other Max station (WPFO in Maine, which was approved last week) could get closed too?

Apparently it began as a receivership proceeding in state court two years ago and now Radio Perry is a debtor in possession. Chapter 11 was filed on November 15, 2016.

Some databases show some of Radio Perry's creditors. ASCAP, BMI, SESAC, lawyers Fletcher, Heald and Hildreth, the state of Georgia plus three different counties for taxes, the city of Perry and something called Green Bull, which apparently was the receiver.

That article says Register owed $7.5 million in loans, property taxes and payroll taxes. At that time, Register failed to find buyers.

Earlier this year, a motion to convert the bankruptcy to Chapter 7 was denied.

• 4 weeks later...
New M&A. And to me, this is pretty big.

KCSG in Utah is getting sold. The buyer, you would not believe it but I kid you not. It's Weigel Broadcasting for $1.1M.

This is the very first time they have acquired a station outside of the markets they've served.

This area is completely under served, and gets no love from Las Vegas or SLC.

Hope they can make something happen.

• Like 2

KCSG in Utah is getting sold. The buyer, you would not believe it but I kid you not. It's Weigel Broadcasting for $1.1M.

This is the very first time they have acquired a station outside of the markets they've served.

I didn't see that one coming.

• Like 3

What's Weigel doing buying stations? That's literally the last one I'd expect to be buying anything.

• Like 4

I didn't picture Wiegel Broadcasting buying ANYTHING. This is more surprising than Morgan Murphy Media buying the Saga stations

• Like 6

What's Weigel doing buying stations? That's literally the last one I'd expect to be buying anything.

It was probably getting sick of MeTV shifting around all over with Nexstar and Sinclair dominant in the market and with Trib's sale, felt like it would be bumped out for TBD or Charge, along with Katz (a speaking of; Scripps bought out Katz and their four subchannel networks this morning). Decades also has no chance for clearance with KUTV choosing to double-split with KMYU. The price is basically peanuts for them and they just can auto-run it in the same way they do their Rockford station, plus they've got Salt Lake cable clearance, which is more important than the out-of-market tower.

Considering that St. George is over 250 miles from SLC, I wonder if Weigel is planning on starting a news division.

EDIT: Another idea: What if Weigel is planning on trying to purchase KSTU or whichever station is spun off from the Sinclair/Tribune merger?

• Like 1

It was probably getting sick of MeTV shifting around all over with Nexstar and Sinclair dominant in the market and with Trib's sale, felt like it would be bumped out for TBD or Charge, along with Katz (a speaking of; Scripps bought out Katz and their four subchannel networks this morning). Decades also has no chance for clearance with KUTV choosing to double-split with KMYU. The price is basically peanuts for them and they just can auto-run it in the same way they do their Rockford station, plus they've got Salt Lake cable clearance, which is more important than the out-of-market tower.

The price they paid is about the same as a starter house in Ca.

Plus in St. George you can run the whole station off solar if you wanted to.

The locals will welcome you. The business climate is welcoming and the people are nice...even though they tend to have many many wives.

But once you peal thru the maiden frocks ..they seem to clean-up quite nicely.

• Like 1

Considering that St. George is over 250 miles from SLC, I wonder if Weigel is planning on starting a news division.

EDIT: Another idea: What if Weigel is planning on trying to purchase KSTU or whichever station is spun off from the Sinclair/Tribune merger?

I think it *still has* news. Their program guide lists "St. George News at 8" which appears to be a partnership with this website.

Here's a taste:

The music is a production track; I heard it on an open from Belize once.

• Like 3

I think it *still has* news. Their program guide lists "St. George News at 8" which appears to be a partnership with this website.

Here's a taste:

The music is a production track; I heard it on an open from Belize once.

Oh and its partly produced out of Arkansas. Because that same set is also used for WGFL/WNBW's news too.

• Like 4

Oh and its partly produced out of Arkansas. Because that same set is also used for WGFL/WNBW's news too.

Yep, I recognize the meteorologist from the new NBC/FOX affiliate WPBI in Lafayette, IN (whose newscasts are also produced out of Arkansas and branded as "Star City News").