At the FCC

CircleSeven

Well remember that JSA Attribution Rule that the FCC passed last year, and stations were giving two years to come into compliance?

Well the B&C stated this morning, that there's a rider in the new budget bill that would grandfather existing JSAs. Should this deal pass, stations who had JSAs from March 31st of last year wouldn't have to unwind their JSAs for the next TEN YEARS!!!!

Well remember that JSA Attribution Rule that the FCC passed last year, and stations were giving two years to come into compliance?

Well the B&C stated this morning, that there's a rider in the new budget bill that would grandfather existing JSAs. Should this deal passed, stations who had JSAs from March 31st of last year wouldn't have to unwind their JSAs for the next TEN YEARS!!!!

I'm okay with grandfathering existing JSAs (such as the JSA with KTTU) as long as there aren't any new ones.

• Like 1

Well the B&C stated this morning, that there's a rider in the new budget bill that would grandfather existing JSAs. Should this deal passed, stations who had JSAs from March 31st of last year wouldn't have to unwind their JSAs for the next TEN YEARS!!!!

Maybe slip in a WGBH NBC deal as a rider???

• Like 2

Well the B&C stated this morning, that there's a rider in the new budget bill that would grandfather existing JSAs. Should this deal pass, stations who had JSAs from March 31st of last year wouldn't have to unwind their JSAs for the next TEN YEARS!!!!

Follow-up.

It's been passed by both houses this morning.

• 3 weeks later...

A couple of small M&As tonight.

In Philly, PMCM TV is selling its Philly VHF station, KJWP to Maranatha Broadcasting (owners of Allentown station WFMZ). Since it appears that these two parties could be participating in the auctions later this spring, the purchase price was not disclosed because of "sensitive bidding information".

Also, it looks like they're almost done. The liquidated trust of the Pappas stations is selling its second Iowa station (KDMI) to Tri-Cities Christian Television, through its Dove Broadcasting subsidiary for $1M. It also states that the trust would get some of the proceeds, show the station gets sold during the auctions, exceeds $2M.

It looks like they're could be some more moving parts among the smaller broadcasters, as the auction nears......

Some consummations & a couple of new M&As tonight.

The KFWD sale from HIC Broadcast, Inc. to NRJ TV (Titan), was consummated on Friday.

Also closed on Friday was Sinclair's acquisition of Corpus Christi's Fox affiliate KUQI from High Maintenance Broadcasting.

Nexstar is exercising it's option to buy White Knight Class A LP station KZUP in Baton Rouge. Nexstar could resell this station in the upcoming auctions in March.

And finally, the final station in the Pappas Liquidating Trust is being sold. WLGA in Opelika, AL is being sold to Cabellero (CNZ Communications SE, LLC) for $500K. This is the same firm that bought Milwaukee station WIWN in the summer of 2014.

• 2 weeks later...
TVNewsCheck reports this morning that Cox & Meredith have formed a "cooperative" agreement in between the two groups to share some resources, including buying syndicated programming & equipment.

The co-op doesn't include their respective stations in Atlanta (Cox's WSB & Meredith's WGCL).

It wouldn't surprise me if some of the smaller groups that haven't been sold yet form one for the purposes of negotiating retrans and reverse compensation. It's their only chance at survival unless they want to be stripped of their affiliations or sold off...

• Like 1

It wouldn't surprise me if some of the smaller groups that haven't been sold yet form one for the purposes of negotiating retrans and reverse compensation. It's their only chance at survival unless they want to be stripped of their affiliations or sold off...

While that's not a bad idea, the Cox-Meredith co-op agreement does not include joint negotiations for retrans or reverse comp, with Meredith Local Media president Paul Karpowicz stating that bringing up such an option made their lawyers "twitchy". However, I'm not sure how such a negotiation agreement on those two avenues could be legally "quagmirous" (I'll create that word for this occasion), since A) the agreement as structured without a retrans-reverse comp negotiating arrangement doesn't include their respective Atlanta stations (which may be their only conflict market, correct me if I'm wrong, and B) the FCC's crackdown on joint negotiations for retrans and reverse comp focuses mainly on such deals involving commonly operated stations in the same market.

Karpowicz is quick to point out that the co-op isn't a sign that the merger with Media General is dead or that it signals a future merger between Meredith and Cox, and that the Media General stations would be folded into the co-op if the merger goes through. Although are there any markets where MG and Cox both have stations where they would have to exempt them from the co-op?

• 2 weeks later...
New M&A tonight.

It looks like Brady will be acquiring Frontier's KPVI & KVIQ.

So it looks like its buying a station with very not much news and a station that is the only CBS in the state that doesn't air news. My god. Weren't Frontier, the same folks who owned WGXA 24 in Macon until sold to Sinclair in 2014?

Yes.

Oh okay. Then finally! For god sakes, if I were to watch KPVI in Idaho Falls (in which I wouldn't because KIFI is so dominant), then I would be puking every night. Plus, WGXA and KPVI still broadcast in SD I believe.

And when you have a name like "Frontier Radio Management," then it sounds like a company destined for radio, not TV. They need to get out of the TV business, pronto!

First on TVNT

Three television stations in the northwestern US are being sold.

Frontier Radio Management/Jason Wolff is selling KPVI and KXTF in Idaho and KVIQ in Eureka, CA, and their dependent LPTVs, to Michigan-based NBI Holdings, which is owned by Brian Brady. Wolff will maintain a minority interest in the licensees of the stations.

There does not seem to be a purchase price; rather, Wolff is hoping that Brady can aid in paying the stations' third-party debt and performing capital improvements. (See KVIQ application)

A company owned by the buyer and seller is in the process of buying WABG Greenwood, MS.

• Like 4

In regards to WABG, from looking online it appears they are buying the entire Commonwealth Broadcast Group -- WXVT will be owned by John Wagner and operated by Cala Broadcast Partners thereafter. WABG and WNBD's sale is pending solely to Cala Broadcast Partners.

I predict the "same ole sh--" with WXVT/WABG/WNBD. Any bets?

• Like 2

In regards to WABG, from looking online it appears they are buying the entire Commonwealth Broadcast Group -- WXVT will be owned by John Wagner and operated by Cala Broadcast Partners thereafter. WABG and WNBD's sale is pending solely to Cala Broadcast Partners.

I predict the "same ole sh--" with WXVT/WABG/WNBD. Any bets?

They're selling a station cluster but they can only own the NBC and one other. What do you expect?

I'd actually like to see Raycom or Gray buy one of the stations in that group. At this point I think the main discussion should be the amount of money that would have to be spent to get any of those stations up to modern standards. One visit to their group website and it gives you instant heartburn more less watching a television news broadcast.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...