At the FCC

CircleSeven

It's FCC Fine Time!

WXOW and KCWE got slapped for a 2006 cartoon promotion that blurred the line between cartoon characters and advertising but weren't fined because it was "isolated". Last week two other broadcasters got fined. An LPTV station in Texas didn't file children's TV reports or two annual ownership reports in a timely manner and earned a $6,000 forfeiture, while KXGN received a $15,000 fine for failing to file eight quarterly children's reports and filing 14 more late since its last renewal in 1998 — the reason that it's been hanging around that long is because the 2005 license renewal is still pending, thanks to an incomplete EEO filing in 2004. In addition, KRHD received a $1,000 fine for not publicizing where its children's TV reports are.

It's FCC Fine Time!

WXOW and KCWE got slapped for a 2006 cartoon promotion that blurred the line between cartoon characters and advertising but weren't fined because it was "isolated". Last week two other broadcasters got fined. An LPTV station in Texas didn't file children's TV reports or two annual ownership reports in a timely manner and earned a $6,000 forfeiture, while KXGN received a $15,000 fine for failing to file eight quarterly children's reports and filing 14 more late since its last renewal in 1998 — the reason that it's been hanging around that long is because the 2005 license renewal is still pending, thanks to an incomplete EEO filing in 2004. In addition, KRHD received a $1,000 fine for not publicizing where its children's TV reports are.

First off I have a few questions:

-Why do stations have to advertise and list every place they send job notices for EEO filings? I have read some of the EEO filings and they list every person who applied for a job and why they weren't hired (I think that could violate some privacy laws.)

-They stated that the promotion with cartoon characters made unfair advantage of the trust children have in said characters - Do children even think of cartoon characters as trustworthy? I know I didn't.

-Why do stations have to list and advertise where their public file (containing EEO, Children's Programming, Political Ad Time and Viewer Complaints) is nowadays when almost everyone has a computer and the FCC mandates they update it regularly?

First off I have a few questions:

-Why do stations have to advertise and list every place they send job notices for EEO filings? I have read some of the EEO filings and they list every person who applied for a job and why they weren't hired (I think that could violate some privacy laws.)

-They stated that the promotion with cartoon characters made unfair advantage of the trust children have in said characters - Do children even think of cartoon characters as trustworthy? I know I didn't.

-Why do stations have to list and advertise where their public file (containing EEO, Children's Programming, Political Ad Time and Viewer Complaints) is nowadays when almost everyone has a computer and the FCC mandates they update it regularly?

#1 is to appease people who think opportunities were not given to minorities. I suppose If you see the name you can kind of tell (in reality this is just dumb) what their background is.

#2 They think that the children trust the cartoon characters and will do whatever they say. The trouble is a child doesn't trust per se. A child is usually naive and uninhibited but not trusting as an adult would view it, somebody needed to put themselves into a kids shoes there.

#3 The Public File rule is antiquated. Is there a good reason there isn't a national database of public files that anyone can access 24/7 online and stations can upload materials to as needed? It would definitely save a lot of paper and trouble.

Fun fact: When I was visiting WLS today, I asked the lady at the front desk if anyone actually comes by to look at the public file, and she said that in the 2.5 years she's worked there, only 3 people have been documented looking at it.

Not trying to defend number 3, but not everybody has a computer....

Then again, I don't who actually cares about the public file other than the FCC itself....

There are ways to gain access and plenty of people to get you there, that's really not a huge problem these days.

Fun fact: When I was visiting WLS today, I asked the lady at the front desk if anyone actually comes by to look at the public file, and she said that in the 2.5 years she's worked there, only 3 people have been documented looking at it.

I wonder if those 3 people were FCC agents....

Well we have a New M&A this morning (well new to me, but the news was posted two weeks ago).

Back to Oregon we go. It appears the owners of Zolo Media (owners of its cable/broadband system and Bend, OR's broadcast stations, KOHD & KBNZ-LD) is selling its company to a midwestern firm Telephone & Data Systems, Inc. (TDS) for $261M.

And missed this one too. The FCC greenlighted this eight days ago (7/15).

If that happens, that means that NPG will control every commercial station in the Bend, OR market.

I could imagine them coming up with a Yuma-El Centro like scenario in Bend. Only problem is that Bend doesn't have the luxury of having independently-owned Spanish-language stations.

I could imagine them coming up with a Yuma-El Centro like scenario in Bend. Only problem is that Bend doesn't have the luxury of having independently-owned Spanish-language stations.

Or TV border blasters comprising a grand total of four additional media voices.

Nothing to cause alarm, but we have another Pappas sell tonight.

On the paperwork, it is selling its sole radio station in Modesto, CA, KMPH-AM, to a California non-profit firm, IHR Educational Broadcasting for $50K. IHR & Pappas will form an LMA, while they wait for the FCC greenlight. Plus, they'll file a new application to convert the station to a non-commercial station.

I can't wait till they find a buyer for NTV.

Nothing to cause alarm, but we have another Pappas sell tonight.

On the paperwork, it is selling its sole radio station in Modesto, CA, KMPH-AM, to a California non-profit firm, IHR Educational Broadcasting for $50K. IHR & Pappas will form an LMA, while they wait for the FCC greenlight. Plus, they'll file a new application to convert the station to a non-commercial station.

I can't wait till they find a buyer for NTV.

It's going to be Catholic radio — we have them here. In Phoenix IHR bought a station that almost was going to turn its license in because of economic problems.

Also, we have an FCC approval.

The sale of two CBS Alaska station's KUBD Ketchikan & KTNL SItka to Denali Media Holdings, a subsidiary of Alaska's telecommunications provider, GCI, was greenlighted last Thursday (5/15). Just like their last deal to acquire KTVA & KATH/KSCT, this deal also had a petition of deny. Specifically by the City of Ketchikan. The FCC shot down their POD and granted in GCI's favor.

Wow, I thought they were never going to close it out. But as of yesterday, the sale of KUBD/KTNL & KXLJ-LD to GCI Alaska has now been consummated.

Now the question is, will they now buy a TV property in Fairbanks next?

Show me your children's television reports, or you'll get fined: the FCC slapped fines on KWES ($6,000), KXXV ($1,000) and KVDA ($3,000) for not telling people where they were.

Meanwhile, KGO and KDTV have forged a content-sharing partnership. I think this is the second one so far between an ABC O&O and a Univision outlet, after Philadelphia.

• 5 weeks later...

I'm hearing from friends at the station that KSNV management just announced they've been sold to Sinclair. If so... That didn't take long.

Is this an rumor by chance? Last I heard that Beverly Rogers was running the station and second, does Sinclair already own two tv stations in the las vegas market?

I'm hearing from friends at the station that KSNV management just announced they've been sold to Sinclair. If so... That didn't take long.

This shouldn't surprise anyone. The next question: what will Sinclair do? If they do this I would not be surprised to see Sinclair move KSNV to one of its other Vegas stations to consolidate. (KSNV's DT signal is on low-band VHF!)

First, I'm not the least bit surprised.

Second, this might warrant it's own thread...maybe Weeters can break it out.

This shouldn't surprise anyone. The next question: what will Sinclair do? If they do this I would not be surprised to see Sinclair move KSNV to one of its other Vegas stations to consolidate. (KSNV's DT signal is on low-band VHF!)

Have Cunningham acquire KSNV and keep all three. See: Reno or Charleston.

First, I'm not the least bit surprised.

Second, this might warrant it's own thread...maybe Weeters can break it out.

Have Cunningham acquire KSNV and keep all three. See: Reno or Charleston.

My guess: Sinclair proper buys KSNV, shells KVCW and sells KVMY.

Is this an rumor by chance? Last I heard that Beverly Rogers was running the station and second, does Sinclair already own two tv stations in the las vegas market?

I was told she made the announcement to staff this afternoon. I wonder how long before it becomes official and hits the industry websites/blogs?

I was told she made the announcement to staff this afternoon. I wonder how long before it becomes official and hits the industry websites/blogs?

It's official. I wouldn't have thought Beverly Rogers would have sold the station to a company whose mission is completely the opposite of what her husband stood for, but $$$ talks.

Most likely, NBC moves to 21.2, with Estrella and GetTV moving to 33.x. What they bought was the intellectual property of KSNV, they're going to turn around and resell the license.

KVVU and KTNV have the most to gain from this acquisition. I bet you the celebrating will begin at those stations, as well as KLAS.