KTLA 5 News Thread

2 hours ago, tvtime07 said:

Oh yeah, the Romero/Mester mess was darn awful and shouldn't have happened, they should have properly given Lynette a nice farewell even is she was leaving for a competitor, it wouldn't have blown up amongst viewers and Mester would have kept his cool and would probably be there today. Then a few months later the favorable 5 Live gets cancelled... looks like one bad decision after another for KTLA, thank goodness at least one good thing happened in the past several months: the set redesign looks beautiful. 

I’ll admit that I’ve changed my mind on that a bit; I know I said that Mester should’ve been more professional, but it was apparent that Pete Saiers didn’t exactly endear himself to the staff by giving Lynette Romero such a terse dismissal. I wouldn’t be surprised if that was only one of many missteps that he made.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

It will be a palate cleanser/transition from the late afternoon NFL games to Sunday Night Football during the fall. Viewers will finish their games on CBS/FOX, take a quick peek at KTLA for quick local headlines/weather for the week then off to NBC for SNF.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Encore Emp said:

KTLA just added a Sunday evening 4pm news.

I don’t think too many people will be watching that because most people just want to relax on Sundays. Even though 5 is not all-news but it feels like it now.

One of the reasons they are doing it because the CW unexpected unannounced expanded to 7pm on Sundays.

• 2 months later...

Pedro Rivera is leaving KTLA on January 8 after a short run. The announcement was made on the Morning News today. Sounds like it was his choice as he has family on the east coast. Pedro was brought in from Sacramento (KTXL Fox 40) to co-anchor the 4pm and 5pm shows. He was later moved to the weekend Morning News to stabilize that show after the Mark Mester/Lynette Romero fiasco. He still anchored 3x/wk at 4pm and 5pm. Not sure how KTLA will fill the hole. Will they still have the new person anchor the weekend morning news and 4p/5p 3x/wk OR have one permanent male anchor on weekend mornings and a permanent anchor at 4pm and 5pm with Samantha Cortese and Cher Calvin?

I heard the announcement this morning. He came to KTLA in 2021 and it’s going to be 2024 by time most of you see this post. Hopefully KTLA finds somebody to fill the male anchor position for weekend AM and the weekday 4 and 5pm newscasts Mon-Wed or Mon-Fri.

Pedro mentioned on one his IG Stories the day before that he'd be making a "personal announcement" during the Saturday morning broadcast, and I expected that him leaving KTLA was likely going be the case.  It is admirable that he wants to move back to the East Coast to be closer to his family.  I can't imagine anyone within KTLA's current talent who can permanently succeed him, though I can envision Courtney Friel (who already is anchoring the Thursday and Friday 4pm broadcasts) and Megan Telles temporarily filling his position on weekdays and weekends, respectively.

21 minutes ago, bogusabc7breakingnews said:

Is it just me or is Megan Telles annoying af? I don’t know what it is about her, but I either mute the TV or change the channel when she’s on. 

I agree. She's decent on reporting, but I usually turn it off or on mute if she's anchoring or entertainment anchoring.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, bogusabc7breakingnews said:

Is it just me or is Megan Telles annoying af? I don’t know what it is about her, but I either mute the TV or change the channel when she’s on. 

For me, her raspy voice and overly talkative nature makes for a difficult audience experience, at times.

6 hours ago, CraigViewer said:

For me, her raspy voice and overly talkative nature makes for a difficult audience experience, at times.

I like her energy and how she's unique imo - it can be a bit too much at some times but I like the energy when she's on the mornings. 

• Like 1

19 hours ago, bogusabc7breakingnews said:

I don’t find her annoying at all but she’s a bit weaker behind the desk than I expected when she arrived a few years ago. Haven’t watched much lately.

18 hours ago, brycats said:

I like her energy and how she's unique imo - it can be a bit too much at some times but I like the energy when she's on the mornings. 

She does indeed have an awesome, upbeat personality, which is perfect for morning television.

It would be quite something if Telles and KCAL's Sheba Turk were ever on the same station or shared the same broadcast, as they both have similar high energy levels lol.

Edited by CraigViewer

• 3 months later...