KTLA 5 News Thread

50 minutes ago, FiveNews said:

Kolk was originally hired as a general assignment reporter. He slid to nightside entertainment within the last few years.

KTLA isn't doing themselves any favors with weekend musical chairs. Cher and Pedro are ok on the weekday 5pm. Seems like a demotion or Nexstar (KTLAs parent company) being cheap and not wanting to hire another fulltime weekend AM anchor.

Sam Cortese and Rick Chambers anchored together tonight. I could dig seeing Sam as the permanent replacement for Courtney Friel. 

Oh, that's right.  I stand corrected about Kolk.

Based on what I've seen in recent months, Cortese and Chambers make for a good co-anchor duo.  Karren Wynter, who I have also seen co-anchoring with Chambers over the past few weeks, would be a fantastic successor to Friel, as well.

I suspect that it's the latter of what you were mentioning, with regard to Nexstar (or possibly KTLA) being frugal in tapping someone from in-house rather than hiring from the outside to fill these weekend morning anchor positions.

It seems like the new KTLA 5 News at 4 will be premiering next Monday, 2/20 according to my guide and Karamo will be pushed away to overnights. So I guess that means they will have continuous live news in the evening from 3-7pm Monday to Friday. All they care about is that money nowadays.

Still think this is related to ND Pete Saiers. He came from Seatte, along with GM Janene Drafs. I don't think Saiers has the chops to lead a big market legacy newsroom and we are seeing the effects of that now. KTLA seems to go thru these cycles of poor leadership. Anyone remember the reign of GM Vinne Malcolm? This was during the KTLA Morning Show/Prime News days. Malcolm was jettisoned and replaced by GM Don Corsini, formerly of KCBS/KCAL and ND Jason Ball and the station saw a strong resurgence. It will be interesting to see how and where the Drafs/Saiers paring takes the station.

I am not sure what the ratings have been for "Korano" on KTLA at 4pm weekdays, but I suspect that they are lackluster.  Although it is unoriginal to have yet another hour of a station news broadcast, in an effort to have a stronger lead-in to the station's late afternoon and evening programming, this move to have a 4pm newscast may be related to it in many ways. 

I guess we may never know, unless station management were to be interviewed though.

Edited by CraigViewer

FTV reports Kareen Wynter is the new weekend co-anchor with Rick Chambers. Courtney Friel will anchor on Thursday/Friday at 4 and 5pm when Pedro is off as he will be filling in on the weekend morning news until June. Station is still working to finalize weekend morning assignments, but Lauren Lyster is already confirmed as one piece of the weekend morning anchor puzzle. Sounds like someone might be coming in from out of market and they are waiting for their contract to run out....or could be a non-compete situation.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, FiveNews said:

FTV reports Kareen Wynter is the new weekend co-anchor with Rick Chambers. Courtney Friel will anchor on Thursday/Friday at 4 and 5pm when Pedro is off as he will be filling in on the weekend morning news until June. Station is still working to finalize weekend morning assignments, but Lauren Lyster is already confirmed as one piece of the weekend morning anchor puzzle. Sounds like someone might be coming in from out of market and they are waiting for their contract to run out....or could be a non-compete situation.

More than likely they are waiting for a contract to run out as non-competes are illegal in California. Based on the email FTV provided, it does seem they have a candidate for the weekend mornings as it was fairly firm that Pedro would only fill in until June on weekend mornings. 

13 hours ago, FiveNews said:

Indeed, it is plausible that KTLA is temporarily installing Pedro as co-anchor on weekend mornings, who, again, in my opinion, is a better fit than Kolk in that position, until someone permanent that KTLA has likely hired joins the station around June of this year.

Edited by CraigViewer

Some screenshots of the new KTLA 4pm weekday newscast that just debuted today.  Much like how the 5pm broadcast used to originate on the side of the studio back on the old set in its first several months, the 4pm show does here in the new studio, as well.

20230220_204724.jpg

20230220_204844.jpg

20230220_204944.jpg

20230220_205009.jpg

Edited by CraigViewer

6 hours ago, CraigViewer said:

Some screenshots of the new KTLA 4pm weekday newscast that just debuted today.  Much like how the 5pm broadcast used to originate on the side of the studio back on the old set in its first several months, the 4pm show does here in the new studio, as well.

20230220_204724.jpg

20230220_204844.jpg

20230220_204944.jpg

20230220_205009.jpg

Noticing the 2009-16 era "5" logo on the mugs...

On 2/11/2023 at 4:16 PM, JTT said:

Will KTLA air news from 4am till 8pm and then from 10pm till midnight,  then air taped news from midnight till 4am during the weekdays?  In addition to that, add more "live" news during the weekends?

Right now, its 4am-2pm, 3-7 and 10-11:35pm.

On 2/21/2023 at 8:21 AM, TheRolyPoly said:

Right now, its 4am-2pm, 3-7 and 10-11:35pm.

Those 2-3 pm and 7-7:30 slots are entertainment news shows produced by KTLA 5 so 7:30 pm is truly their only free daytime slot. All Live! Not even NY 1 is live all day.

Edited by iron_lion

On 2/22/2023 at 12:43 AM, iron_lion said:

Those 2-3 pm and 7-7:30 slots are entertainment news shows produced by KTLA 5 so 7:30 pm is truly their only free daytime slot. All Live! Not even NY 1 is live.

Yep. Off The Clock from 2-3, L.A. Unscripted from 7-7:30 and right now, the only syndicated show before 8pm is Two and a Half Men at 7:30pm.

It also looks like they're trying to up their game with KTLA+ by airing repeats of their locally-produced programs from 7:30-10pm there to keep it a 24/7 local operation.

On 2/10/2023 at 8:28 PM, 24994J said:

Unlike the good old days, when they didn't care about money.

You’re talking about the late 1910s, when people were actively experimenting on radio transmissions before AT&T realized you could make money off of it.

• Haha 1

• 3 weeks later...

KABC does this during the 11am show sometimes; I find it annoying because this is market 2. Yes it’s actually raining rn, but how much can the weather change over the course of a couple hours? If we were in Chicago where the weather really does change and alerts need to be issued, the taped forecast would be unbelievable. Hopefully KTLA has a live report tonight. 

Seems like they may have been short staffed. Vera Jimenez, who is the defacto "chief" did the late morning/afternoon shows (11-2, 3 and 4pm). Kaj Goldberg must have had a last minute emergency/sick as he is scheduled Wed-Sun. He does middays Wed-Fri and nightside on the weekends. Kirk Hawkins, who fills in for all weather shifts, may have been off or had a conflict. He has a highly publicized real estate side hustle.

I doubt Mark Kriski would stay beyond his 7-11am shift. Might be in his contract. He's been at KTLA since 1991 and he is rough to watch in recent years. I have seen him fill in for Henry on the 6am hour, but he is usually in the building at that time so it's not a huge inconvenience.

• 3 weeks later...

Oh yeah, the Romero/Mester mess was darn awful and shouldn't have happened, they should have properly given Lynette a nice farewell even is she was leaving for a competitor, it wouldn't have blown up amongst viewers and Mester would have kept his cool and would probably be there today. Then a few months later the favorable 5 Live gets cancelled... looks like one bad decision after another for KTLA, thank goodness at least one good thing happened in the past several months: the set redesign looks beautiful. 

Edited by tvtime07
  • Like 1