KTLA 5 News Thread

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
4 hours ago, newseider said:

KTLA has canceled “5 Live”, their steaming show that airs online 4PM weekdays. 

Rumor: KTLA joining the likes of KABC, KNBC and KCAL to add a 4PM newscast.

Likely there was no room in their  streaming newscast since there adding a 4pm newscast. Desperate KTLA didn’t gone to a 2 hour delay like other Nexstar stations excluding WGN and KRON.

Edited by SoCalLocal

God forbid they simply move '5 Live' to OTA, instead of canceling it and (likely) going in a more traditional direction, blending in with the 3 other stations already on at that hour.

Edited by 24994J
  • Like 3

15 and a half hours. That's how many hours of news KTLA would air every single weekday if this goes through. 4AM-2PM, 3-7, and 10-11:35PM.

The only other outlets in the Southland that do more hours of news than KTLA every weekday... is KNX News - 97.1 FM. KTLA would actually TIE (yes, your hearing this right) Spectrum News 1 SoCal for the second-most local hours of news every weekday on either radio or TV (SN1 SoCal is on 5AM-7PM plus half-hour installments at 9:30pm, 12 Midnight and 1:00am. They air other stuff during other hours like L.A. Times TodayL.A. Stories, etc. Yes, I did check the schedule myself.).

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, 24994J said:

God forbid they simply move '5 Live' to OTA, instead of canceling it and (likely) going in a more traditional direction, blending in with the 3 other stations already on at that hour.

Like "Off The Clock" at 2pm weekdays, which used to exclusively be online, I am surprised that "5 Live" wasn't moved to television, as well.  The 4pm hour in the Los Angeles market is saturated with local newscasts on weekdays already.

Edited by CraigViewer
Grammar
  • Like 2

10 hours ago, SoCalLocal said:

Rumor: KTLA joining the likes of KABC, KNBC and KCAL to add a 4PM newscast.

Likely there was no room in their  streaming newscast since there adding a 4pm newscast. Desperate KTLA didn’t gone to a 2 hour delay like other Nexstar stations excluding WGN and KRON.

KTLA didn't go to the delay because they are under a Nextstar exemption due to their KTLA+ app. KRON and WGN are under the same exemption for the same reason.

9 hours ago, CraigViewer said:

Like "Off The Clock" at 2pm weekdays, which used to exclusively be online, I am surprised that "5 Live" wasn't moved to television, as well.  The 4pm hour in the Los Angeles market is saturated with local newscasts on weekdays already.

I hope they integrate some of the 5 Live elements into the 4pm show. The 5 Live set is pretty legit, TBH. Sam Cortese anchored the AM and PM newscasts during the holidays, so my bet is that she gets an anchor slot at 4pm.

43 minutes ago, FiveNews said:
43 minutes ago, FiveNews said:

I hope they integrate some of the 5 Live elements into the 4pm show. The 5 Live set is pretty legit, TBH. Sam Cortese anchored the AM and PM newscasts during the holidays, so my bet is that she gets an anchor slot at 4pm.

I happened to tune in to KTLA when Sam Cortese was a fill-in anchor on both dayparts over the holiday season.  She's a good anchor -- both serious and light-hearted depending on the time of the day of the newscasts!

I can imagine a 4pm newscast having a somewhat light and casual feel to it (kinda like how their  5pm newscasts are now), with the more hard news later on in the day.

Have seen clips of the "5 Live" set, and it does look awesome!  I wonder what will become of Sam's co-host, Andy Reismeyer.  In the past, I believe that he worked in some type of behind the scenes capacity, so perhaps he will return to that, or possibly he will just transfer to a 4pm newscast, as well.

8 hours ago, CraigViewer said:

Have seen clips of the "5 Live" set, and it does look awesome!  I wonder what will become of Sam's co-host, Andy Reismeyer.  In the past, I believe that he worked in some type of behind the scenes capacity, so perhaps he will return to that, or possibly he will just transfer to a 4pm newscast, as well.

They've had him fill in on Weather and Entertainment and a"Breaking Buzz" segment - I guess they want to keep him.

3 hours ago, brycats said:

They've had him fill in on Weather and Entertainment and a"Breaking Buzz" segment - I guess they want to keep him.

Yeah, I have seen him fill in both of those roles too.  

It's a shame that he and Cortese will no longer be co-hosting "5 Live," as they have had wonderful chemistry between each other.

I have always been impressed in how he has come across on KTLA, so I would also imagine that he will continue to maintain a role on there in some form or another, going forward.

• 2 weeks later...

Does anyone know if the Weekend Morning News has settled on Doug Kolk and Lauren Lyster as the new permanent anchors? I ask because I notice the Weekend Morning News mugs were updated today. In addition to Doug and Lauren, regulars Megan Telles and Kacey Montoya were on the mugs as well.

50 minutes ago, FiveNews said:

Does anyone know if the Weekend Morning News has settled on Doug Kolk and Lauren Lyster as the new permanent anchors? I ask because I notice the Weekend Morning News mugs were updated today. In addition to Doug and Lauren, regulars Megan Telles and Kacey Montoya were on the mugs as well.

I noticed the mugs too. Have they made it official?  I'm not really a fan of the current weekend morning cast, unfortunately, the show feels so stale now. 

I'm also disappointed that 5 Live has ended. Kudos to Sam, Andy, Rob and Bobby for providing a very personal, unique program. My wishful thinking hopes that the 5 Live team would co-host the upcoming KTLA News 4pm hour together, they can do a traditional newscast with 5 Live elements in between. .

Stale indeed. I actually watched a lot more KCAL vs KTLA this morning. 

Speaking of 5Live, Andy Riesmeyer had a live shot all morning from Knott's Berry Farm. As you mentioned, I hope the weekend spot is temporary. I'd like to see him and Sam have a prominent role on the 4pm news.

On 1/18/2023 at 12:56 AM, TheRolyPoly said:

15 and a half hours. That's how many hours of news KTLA would air every single weekday if this goes through. 4AM-2PM, 3-7, and 10-11:35PM.

The only other outlets in the Southland that do more hours of news than KTLA every weekday... is KNX News - 97.1 FM. KTLA would actually TIE (yes, your hearing this right) Spectrum News 1 SoCal for the second-most local hours of news every weekday on either radio or TV (SN1 SoCal is on 5AM-7PM plus half-hour installments at 9:30pm, 12 Midnight and 1:00am. They air other stuff during other hours like L.A. Times TodayL.A. Stories, etc. Yes, I did check the schedule myself.).

At this point KTLA might as well become an all day local news channel like NY1 minus the CW's two hour pimetime block. The only difference is NY1 and News 12 are live for about 30 minutes per daypart, then rerun that show until the next live newscast. Stations like KTLA are repeating the same news over and over again, but live. 

I know stations want to collect the ad revenue but this is extreme. I question how newsrooms --especially field reporters-- feel about having to fill the excess airtime. 

The new local station trend is apparently being on at ANYtime someone wakes up, and just continue into the noon newscast. Basically 4am-1pm. Who knows, 3:30 am might be the next frontier. WPLG Miami is the most extreeme I've seen with a 1am newscast. I wonder if it's shot live or pre-recorded? 

Edited by iron_lion

11 hours ago, FiveNews said:

I started to notice the new mugs myself recently, as well.  My theory is that Doug Kolk and Lauren Lyster were quietly named the new permanent co-anchors, so that KTLA wouldn't receive any more backlash (given an official public announcement made) on social media from those who still may be indignant following the departures of Lynette Romero and Mark Mester from the station.

Edited by CraigViewer

On 1/28/2023 at 10:10 PM, iron_lion said:

The new local station trend is apparently being on at ANYtime someone wakes up, and just continue into the noon newscast. Basically 4am-1pm. Who knows, 3:30 am might be the next frontier. WPLG Miami is the most extreeme I've seen with a 1am newscast. I wonder if it's shot live or pre-recorded? 

KTLA goes an hour further, 4am-2pm.

Also, I live in South Florida. That "1am newscast" is actually a repeat of their 11pm news, just like how WFOR and WTVJ repeat their 11pm newscasts just after 1:35am, while WSVN has their 11pm news repeat at 12:30 and 4:30am.

• Like 1

Why are stations like KTLA airing so many hours of news on in a single day?  I understand that it is supposed to be cheaper than airing a regular hour or half hour TV show, but you are still paying people to sit there to read the news to viewers and have people behind the scenes editing and so forth.  Plus, other stations are also airing news at similar times.  How much are they stations actually saving and how much are advertisers actually paying each station, since many of the stations are showing the same thing - news at the same or similar times.  Plus, with so many stations airing so many hours of news, especially in Los Angeles, how do you expect viewers to tune in if all the stations or most of the stations are airing news at the same time?  At 5 and 6 pm, ch 2, 4, 5, 7, and 11 are showing news at the same time.  There's basically nothing on TV to watch besides news.  Ch 9 is showing funny you ask and family feud, while ch 13 is showing reruns.   In my opinion,  many viewers would just tune out or off and not watch at all, since many people can get their news online or later on in the evening.

• Thanks 2

29 minutes ago, JTT said:

Why are stations like KTLA airing so many hours of news on in a single day?  I understand that it is supposed to be cheaper than airing a regular hour or half hour TV show, but you are still paying people to sit there to read the news to viewers and have people behind the scenes editing and so forth.

If you're a station, you need a whole crew of people even if you just have a single half hour 6pm newscast. Making them work harder by doing more live news doesn't cost anything. You can expand that half hour newscast into an hour and not have to pay anybody extra or hire any more people for it. If you cared about quality, you might, but that would also cost money. An extra half hour of news will get higher ratings and be easier to sell to advertisers than almost any syndicated show these days or informercials.

Now keep doing that several times over. This has been the sad reality of local TV news economics for the last decade, and I expect it to continue. We're going to keep seeing this industry do more with less. It's happening everywhere at every station in every market to some degree.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

13 hours ago, TheRolyPoly said:

KTLA goes an hour further, 4am-2pm.

Also, I live in South Florida. That "1am newscast" is actually a repeat of their 11pm news, just like how WFOR and WTVJ repeat their 11pm newscasts just after 1:35am, while WSVN has their 11pm news repeat at 12:30 and 4:30am.

I like that WSVN repeats their 11pm at 4:30am. WNBC might as well do that at 4am. I hardly saw any live field reports until about 4:30am.

I question if there is enough of an audience up at that 4am hour to justify a live newscast. As someone who used to dread going to work at that hour, I also wonder about the crew and talent having to wake up that early every day. 

Just like the scripted cable series, soap opera and talk show bubbles, news overload is going to burst eventually. 

Edited by iron_lion
  • Like 2

On 1/28/2023 at 10:11 PM, CraigViewer said:

I started to notice the new mugs myself recently, as well.  My theory is that Doug Kolk and Lauren Lyster were quietly named the new permanent co-anchors, so that KTLA wouldn't receive any more backlash (given an official public announcement made) on social media from those who still may be indignant following the departures of Lynette Romero and Mark Mester from the station.

Interestingly, it turns out that Kolk and Lyster may not be paired with each other permanently on the weekend edition of the "KTLA Morning News" after all.  I noticed when I turned on Channel 5 this morning that Pedro Rivera, who co-anchors with Cher Calvin at 5pm weekdays, was in Kolk's position with Lyster;  meanwhile, Kolk slid over to handle entertainment anchor duties, while Megan Telles was back out in the field as a feature reporter, as she handled on the weekend morning broadcasts previously.

Later, I came across Rivera tweeting that those changes will be in effect for the next couple of months, in that he will co-anchor with Calvin on Monday through Wednesdays, and him co-anchoring the weekend morning shows, as well.

I enjoy this Lyster and Rivera co-anchor pairing, more than the Lyster-Kolk combination.  To me, Kolk has never seemed fully comfortable being a news anchor and is more natural at what he was originally hired by KTLA to do in entertainment, which he was great at this morning.

Kolk was originally hired as a general assignment reporter. He slid to nightside entertainment within the last few years.

KTLA isn't doing themselves any favors with weekend musical chairs. Cher and Pedro are ok on the weekday 5pm. Seems like a demotion or Nexstar (KTLAs parent company) being cheap and not wanting to hire another fulltime weekend AM anchor.

Sam Cortese and Rick Chambers anchored together tonight. I could dig seeing Sam as the permanent replacement for Courtney Friel.