KTLA 5 News Thread

5 hours ago, MorningNews said:

Sad ending but he brought this upon himself. I still can’t get over the complete lack of regard and decorum he showed in that segment. Airing information about something “very bad” happening to Lynette back in the early 2000s, dragging your management into it, and neglecting the NEWS to do all of this? Then he weirdly pressures his colleagues on the desk to share their thoughts and continues to angrily talk over them. It was insane.

How did the rest of that morning’s show go after the 8am hour? Don’t they run until 11am?

Yes, went to 11am as usual. Vibe seemed a little off, but the team did the best they could considering the circumstances. I'll be curious to see who is anchoring this weekend. I assume Megan Telles or Ellina Abovian as the female, I have no clue who's going to be the male anchor. Last Sunday, during Mark's first day of suspension, it was Pedro Rivera from the weekday 5pm news. A little weak IMO, he worked a few weekend morning shifts before officially getting the 5pm seat when he came down from Sacto. I think it would be cool if Eric Spillman, Frank Buckley or Chris Schauble rotated weekends....even if it's just Saturday or Sunday to provide stability until a permanent team is named.

56 minutes ago, FiveNews said:

Yes, went to 11am as usual. Vibe seemed a little off, but the team did the best they could considering the circumstances. I'll be curious to see who is anchoring this weekend. I assume Megan Telles or Ellina Abovian as the female, I have no clue who's going to be the male anchor. Last Sunday, during Mark's first day of suspension, it was Pedro Rivera from the weekday 5pm news. A little weak IMO, he worked a few weekend morning shifts before officially getting the 5pm seat when he came down from Sacto. I think it would be cool if Eric Spillman, Frank Buckley or Chris Schauble rotated weekends....even if it's just Saturday or Sunday to provide stability until a permanent team is named.

If I recall I think Chris anchored the Sunday after Chris Burrous passed or perhaps the following weekend. It was really nice to see a familiar hand at the desk.

This entire fiasco happened under his watch. Mark posted on Twitter that he would be addressing the situation on last Saturday's morning news where he went rogue. The ND allowed Mark to stay on for an additional 3hrs after derailing the station's airwaves. If not termination, some sort of discipline should happen as he was complicit as well. I know the public will never know if the ND was disciplined or not, but still, the ND had a hand in the messy aftermath.

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, MorningNews said:

I don’t get this. What terms of employment did the ND violate that should result in this termination or reassignment?

It’s not about violating terms of employment, it’s about his mismanagement of the newsroom even before Romero’s departure. The mass exodus of KTLA staffers under his watch is not a coincidence. I agree with Mester being sent packing for his stunt, but if they had someone competent running the newsroom, this whole situation may have been different.

• Like 1

Well, good for Mark Mester for sticking up for not only a long-time co-anchor but one of the best, most popular and well-liked.   However --  

--there must have been a way for him to do so without throwing the whole station into chaos.     He passionately called his employers a bunch of horrible people, dishonorable and heartless, and perhaps without even knowing it,  made his boss the GM look like either a figurehead, a corporate pawn in allowing this to happen,  or a hypocrite,  for claiming to be Lynette's supporter and then throwing her under a train.    You can't do that and expect your management to accept it.          He will probably wind up hosting "Daily Mail" or something.

• Like 8

2 hours ago, ABC 7 Denver said:

Yes, which is why many enforce their non-competes.

Non-competes are illegal in California

https://oag.ca.gov/news/press-releases/attorney-general-bonta-reminds-employers-and-workers-noncompete-agreements-are

Edited by CalItalian2
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 2

4 hours ago, CalItalian2 said:

I didn't say that it wasn't illegal in California. The poster asked, "Does station management at TV station in any market..." I answered that question. Your response moved the goal posts. Thanks booboo.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ABC 7 Denver said:

I didn't say that it wasn't illegal in California. The poster asked, "Does station management at TV station in any market..." I answered that question. Your response moved the goal posts. Thanks booboo.

You are in a forum discussing KTLA which is in California. If you read through the link I posted you'd also know that any company that does business in California or a company outside the state that employers California residents can not enforce their non-compete clauses at all.

Glad I was able to educate you. You can thank me anytime you wish.

Edited by CalItalian2
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

I haven't watched a lot of KTLA recently, but I hear it's not what it used to be? does the news expansion have anything to do with that?

15 hours ago, Nick said:

Well, good for Mark Mester for sticking up for not only a long-time co-anchor but one of the best, most popular and well-liked.   However --  

Facts!!!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, iron_lion said:

I haven't watched a lot of KTLA recently, but I hear it's not what it used to be? does the news expansion have anything to do with that?

Facts!!!

Not really. KTLAs expansion began under previous GM Don Corsini and ND Jason Ball. The product never suffered under their watch. Once Nextstar and GM Janeane Drafs and ND Pete Saiers is when the station began to hemmorhage talent. This hemmorhaging only began in the past two months (Pascucci, Friel, Devon, Romero and countless behind the scenes staffers). It appears that the ND is the cause of all this. He came down from Seattle which is a totally different news market than LA.

Previous GM/ND had years of experience over at KCBS/KCAL which I think led to their success and revitalization of the station. Before Corsini and Ball, the station languished for years under the leadership of Vinnie Malcolm. I really hope KTLA doesn't go back to those dark days as a result of the Mester fiasco.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Dayna Devon and Courtney Friel have both clarified that they were seeking career changes. They don’t seem to be negative about KTLA management. In fact, one of them is still with the station just on a different project thank the weekend AM show. I wouldn’t include in a general statement about management running talent away.

#BoycottKTLA is on Twitter. While I may not agree with how KTLA handled the Lynette situation, some of the folks on Twitter do not understand how a TV contract works. Plain and simple, Mark violated the terms and conditions of his contract, hence his departure. I really wish viewers understood how the intricacies of TV news works. I'd like to engage with some of the viewers on Twitter, but I know it would be fruitless.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, FiveNews said:

#BoycottKTLA is on Twitter. While I may not agree with how KTLA handled the Lynette situation, some of the folks on Twitter do not understand how a TV contract works. Plain and simple, Mark violated the terms and conditions of his contract, hence his departure. I really wish viewers understood how the intricacies of TV news works. I'd like to engage with some of the viewers on Twitter, but I know it would be fruitless.

The thing is, morning television is such a communal experience. That's the wonderful thing that KTLA Morning News has been able to establish all these years and why they have been unbeatable, these news personalities become part of people's daily routine, viewers invite them into their house every single morning as they report news-weather-traffic-entertainment-and-everything-else, KTLA gave viewers a window to the world and interpersonal bonds are developed in the process -- Lynette connected with many viewers, and to have her 24 year career as a respected broadcast journalist end with a short and lackluster announcement was hurtful to loyal viewers, it's as if their family member was evicted suddenly.

Listen, I totally understand the roots and protocols that human resources and management have to abide with, but it's this by-the-book nonsense that people have an issue with. All of this could have been prevented if management came to their senses and gave Lynette a dignified manner to say goodbye, just at a PR standpoint at the very least.

Did Mark Mester make a mistake for going rogue on live television? Yes, putting out dirty laundry last Saturday was disrespectful and was not professional.  It's an unfortunate circumstance but it makes me wonder why management did not do anything to ease or prevent the mishap. You have a coworker who is totally heartbroken that his work partner wasn't getting her dues, he posted on his public social media that he will share his view on the matter, but did management try to find a solution to resolve this issue?

At the end of the day, are your employees robots or humans? There has to be a reason for this mass exodus that's happening at KTLA, Mark was probably at a boiling point.  Mark's career will be fine, he's not damaged goods; the public sees this as a person who was sticking up for his fellow colleague, he will get picked up somewhere, his career is bright. 

Edited by tvtime07
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1