KTLA 5 News Thread

Sam Rubin just reported that starting Monday, all KTLAs shows will be broadcasting from a temporary set. Their current set, which is still in good shape and 6-7yrs old will be demolished and construction will begin to take place on a new one. Let's pray the new set will not be the requisite Nextstar "set in a corner. Anyone have any insight?

...a few more observations:

• Looks like the flashcam desk from when KTLA got their original newsroom upgrade in the late 90s will serve as the temporary anchor desk
  • Temporary studio is the same studio where Frank Buckley does his "Frank Buckley Interviews" program. 
  • I took a brief video of the announcement, but couldn't upload due to file size. Not sure if any kind soul can do this on my behalf? 🤣

1 hour ago, FiveNews said:

Sam Rubin just reported that starting Monday, all KTLAs shows will be broadcasting from a temporary set. Their current set, which is still in good shape and 6-7yrs old will be demolished and construction will begin to take place on a new one. Let's pray the new set will not be the requisite Nextstar "set in a corner. Anyone have any insight?

Oh no, that is such a beautiful set and totally agree it is still in good shape. Time surely flies, I can't believe it's that old. Hopefully they don't get a generic set, that would be a downgrade. 

Down here in San Diego, I can name a number of stations that totally need a refresh: KUSI, KGTV, KFMB. At this point, I don't think KUSI will ever demolish what they have. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Sounds like a move to 2/9. Another loss to KTLA. Hope KTLA/Nexstar isn't cleaning house now that the GM/ND change has settled. I thought they would continue the work that Don Corsini and Jason Ball did, but doesn't seem like it.

Edited by FiveNews

On 9/9/2022 at 9:13 AM, tvtime07 said:

Oh no, that is such a beautiful set and totally agree it is still in good shape. Time surely flies, I can't believe it's that old. Hopefully they don't get a generic set, that would be a downgrade. 

Down here in San Diego, I can name a number of stations that totally need a refresh: KUSI, KGTV, KFMB. At this point, I don't think KUSI will ever demolish what they have. 

KFMB can do some minor tweaks here and there. They have the cheap KCNC look. The Tegna Graphics sure don’t match with the studio.

KGTV seriously needs a makeover and new flooring.

KUSI is a lost cause. Their FB past and present employees group page already has been begging for a new set and new roof since it leaks near the desk when it rains. 😆

• Like 1

6 hours ago, FiveNews said:

Sounds like a move to 2/9.

I was thinking the same. 9 is going to have to staff up their new morning news block.  Sam said KTLA management tried to get her to stay; someone is offering more and better hours is my bet and she certainly deserves it. Huge loss for KTLA. 

With Lauren Lyster on assignment in England, the bench is a little thin. Lynette is gone immediately it seems. Pascucci is gone and Friel gone at the end of the month. I'm assuming Ellina Abovian will anchor next to Mark Mester this weekend. I can get down with that pairing. Anyone but Megan Telles who seems to be getting more exposure lately in light of Dayna Devon's departure (still with the station, though).

Also of note, Rachel Menitoff joined the station. Previously of WJZ Baltimore. Let's see where she will land in the grand scheme of things.

First thing I thought of was that she's going to 2/9,  but I wonder if Viacom/CBS would  fork over the money for the likes of her.  If KCAL is serious about making a run at mornings, maybe, but my absolutely amateur opinion is  that  there is a better chance for her to land at "Good Day LA."   Which is why KTLA management is so ticked off as to keep her off of the lot and give her departure as little attention as possible.

Edited by Nick
mio
  • Thanks 1

Wow desperate her bio getting scrubbed on the website and anchors can talk about it further,  I know it was her choice to leave the station. But don’t know why management didn’t let her to announce that week to say goodbye. Very bad move by management.

Edited by SoCalLocal

1 hour ago, SoCalLocal said:

Wow desperate her bio getting scrubbed on the website and anchors can talk about it further,  I know it was her choice to leave the station. But don’t know why management didn’t let her to announce that week to say goodbye. Very bad move by management.

This is pretty standard in businesses all over the world. If you leave for a direct competitor, you’re typically terminated immediately.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SoCalLocal said:

I agree, but my guess is that she may have been working without a contract...hence the continued negotiations with KTLA.

Lynette probably had her agent see if anything else was out there for her since she was most likely tired of weekends, even though her show is highly rated. I doubt Jessica, Megan and Lu are leaving anytime soon. When the KNBC deal came up, since she was working at KTLA without a contract (presumably) they cut her loose. TV News is an ice cold business. No allegiances, even to someone who gave nearly a quarter century of their life. Seems like a very Nexstar move. May have not happened under Tribune.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, FiveNews said:

I agree, but my guess is that she may have been working without a contract...hence the continued negotiations with KTLA.

Lynette probably had her agent see if anything else was out there for her since she was most likely tired of weekends, even though her show is highly rated. I doubt Jessica, Megan and Lu are leaving anytime soon. When the KNBC deal came up, since she was working at KTLA without a contract (presumably) they cut her loose. TV News is an ice cold business. No allegiances, even to someone who gave nearly a quarter century of their life. Seems like a very Nexstar move. May have not happened under Tribune.

Come to think of it, did KNBC ever officially replace Daniella Guzman after all these months?

• Like 1