KTLA 5 News Thread

KTLA’s evening “Sky 5” pilot reporter, Tim Lynn is calling it a career tomorrow, saying: 

In June 1972 I graduated from high school and 18 days later entered the United States Coast Guard, that’s where my journey began. After 4 enlistments and a very long 14 months at the University of California Police Department LA, I joined the Culver City Police Department, transferred to Huntington Beach Police Department, where I retired with a total 30 years in law enforcement to begin a new career in media.

• 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

KTLA has a track record of bringing on former KCBS/KCAL refugees. Vera Jimenez (PM Wx), Glen Walker (Midday Anchor), Henry DiCarlo (Early AM Wx), Kaj Goldberg (weekend Wx), Rick Chambers (weekend PM anchor) have all been brought over. All under former GM Don Corsini who worked at KCBS/KCAL as well. These former 2/9ers have done really well with KTLAs personality driven formula. I envision Sandra having a bigger role at KTLA down the road.

On 6/8/2021 at 9:30 PM, MorningNews said:

It’s also remarkable how much the personalities bloom when they jump to KTLA. Who would have know that Chris Schuable was as funny. Henry DiCarlo is a completely different personality than his days on CBS 2.

Because KTLA recognizes that viewers like authenticity & the station respects their employees for being real. It paid off. 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Is KTLA on a temporary set this morning or are my eyes deceiving me?

Edit: they’re not, just an extremely close shot of Lynette and Eric who are also sitting really close to one another.

Edited by MorningNews

• 2 weeks later...

KTLA has been celebrating 30 years of its number 1 rated morning show this week, culminating to the anniversary date of its debut.

https://ktla.com/tag/ktla-5-morning-news-30th-anniversary/

this is the debut of KTLA morning news 30 years ago today.

Carlos' interview with Barbara Beck on his BEONDTV channel:

Some good promos on the KTLA Creative Services Twitter account. Really captures how KTLA is focused on the community and how strong their various news teams are.

Edited by FiveNews
  • Like 2

On 6/7/2021 at 3:54 AM, SFTV said:

FTVLIVE reporting Sandra Mitchell joins KTLA as a per diem reporter from being laid off after 20 years from KCBS/KCAL.

I already see that Sandra Mitchell is filling in as anchor for the 10 pm news. Nice to see her behind the desk again. 

• Like 4

• 1 month later...

KTLA is in hot water for not giving one side of the SAG-AFTRA national elections equal time as Sam Rubin is campaigning on a certain slate, and had candidates for that side on the "Morning News". If the other side doesn't get equal time, SAG-AFTRA could redo their election and force Nexstar to pay for it.

Huge KTLA stan here, but that will be a tough timeslot to differentiate themselves in. I know its not about ratings anymore, but dollars. My assumption is that recently acquired Sandra Mitchell will have a presence. You have Pat Harvey on 2, Chuck and Colleen on 4, Marc Brown on 7, hell even Christine Devine on 11 all at 5pm. Going to be tough to get any recongition without a strong LA name. Just my 2 cents.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

FTV reporting that FOX40 (Sacramento) anchor Pedro Rivera is heading down to LA to anchor the new KTLA 5pm with Cher Calvin. Not sure if there will be any other anchor changes as Cher also co-anchors the 6pm, 10pm and 11pm with Micah Ohlman. Micah solo anchors at 6:30.

On 8/27/2021 at 6:41 AM, FiveNews said:

Huge KTLA stan here, but that will be a tough timeslot to differentiate themselves in. I know its not about ratings anymore, but dollars. My assumption is that recently acquired Sandra Mitchell will have a presence. You have Pat Harvey on 2, Chuck and Colleen on 4, Marc Brown on 7, hell even Christine Devine on 11 all at 5pm. Going to be tough to get any recongition without a strong LA name. Just my 2 cents.

FiveNews,  agreed. That's a crowded field.   Also you have a good point  -- dollars matter more than ratings.   But my penny and a half is that KTLA,  which even under new ownership never seems to need big budget cuts,  has some kind of  brand presence, and even with five stations going at 5 p.m.  I bet it does as well as FOX 11, which has never made much impact at that hour  (remember "Studio 11LA?")  But evidently they are tabbing a new anchor from outside, and that won't help.

• 4 months later...
  • 3 months later...

KTLA's Sky5 pilot/reporter Mark Kono is steppng down at the end of the week, per FTV. Mark is married to in-studio traffic anchor Ginger Chan. I don't think Nexstar is grounding the KTLA chopper, but I assume one of the Welk Aviation reporters will take Mark's place in the morning. This will leave KTLA without a dedicated chopper reporter on staff since Tim Lynn (nightside pilot/reporter) retired in 2020.

• 2 months later...