Why do local news stations have "double" commercial breaks in their broadcasts?

kdex86

What I mean by this is that a station will go to commercial for 2-3 minutes, then 1 minute later go right back to commercial.

This results in a 7-minute block where it's 6 minutes commercials, 1 minute actual news.  ABC World News Tonight takes it 1 step further, doing a "triple" commercial break between 6:45 and 7 PM Eastern.

Wouldn't this hurt the station's viewer ratings?  Nobody wants to sit through several minutes of ads - they'll change the channel.

1 hour ago, Yankees4life said:

$$$

And it must not have that big (if any) of an effect on the ratings, otherwise they wouldn't do it.

In ABC's case, I haven't watched in a while (post election newsbreak), WNT generally goes longer in their A block than NN or CBS do before breaking. Someone correct me if I'm wrong?

8 minutes ago, GodfreyGR said:

In ABC's case, I haven't watched in a while (post election newsbreak), WNT generally goes longer in their A block than NN or CBS do before breaking. Someone correct me if I'm wrong?

That is correct. WNT goes 15-17 minutes before their first break, so it's not at all surprising that the final half of the show would be at least all commercials.

6 hours ago, 24994J said:

That is correct. WNT goes 15-17 minutes before their first break, so it's not at all surprising that the final half of the show would be at least all commercials.

On top of that there number 1 the most watched television program in the nation!!! Regardless of time slot cable or satellite!!! But obviously it cause David Muir the managing editor of the program Olán out the show blocks strategically correct, with a news intensive A-block with an exciting, news-intensive, dramatic eye-catching news block!!!

36 minutes ago, Gavin said:

On top of that there number 1 the most watched television program in the nation!!!

*For the summer. They aren't promoting it as such, anymore, as football is back, and taking that crown.

21 hours ago, TheRob said:

We used to call that a "cluster buster," and I see it more often in morning shows. A 2:00 break airs, followed by a 30-second traffic report or something similar, then another break, then a really long block.

How does a "cluster buster" benefit the station and the advertisers vs. spacing out the breaks?

• 24994J locked this topic

Archived