Entercom, Urban One swap stations in several markets

newsbot

3 hours ago, newsbot said:

So KYW is finally getting its FM home. I wonder if KMOX is going to get an FM home too out of this deal.

23 minutes ago, Mrtraveler01 said:

So KYW is finally getting its FM home. I wonder if KMOX is going to get an FM home too out of this deal.

Why have they kept KFTK-FM around as a thing as long as they have? It even has a dependent translator. One of the two could easily be used for KMOX.

29 minutes ago, Samantha said:

Why have they kept KFTK-FM around as a thing as long as they have? It even has a dependent translator. One of the two could easily be used for KMOX.

KFTK serves a different niche compared to KMOX. Despite KMOX having Rush Limbaugh, the rest of the shows on there are pretty middle of the road. KFTK is considered the go-to for right wing talk radio in St. Louis. 

As far as the translator is concerned, that is to fill a coverage gap on the Illinois side of the market. This is because the transmitter is in O'Fallon, MO which is a suburb that is 25 miles northwest of St. Louis whereas the majority of stations in St. Louis are transmitted from a cluster less than 10 miles southwest of St. Louis. 

2 hours ago, Mrtraveler01 said:

KFTK serves a different niche compared to KMOX. Despite KMOX having Rush Limbaugh, the rest of the shows on there are pretty middle of the road. KFTK is considered the go-to for right wing talk radio in St. Louis. 

As far as the translator is concerned, that is to fill a coverage gap on the Illinois side of the market. This is because the transmitter is in O'Fallon, MO which is a suburb that is 25 miles northwest of St. Louis whereas the majority of stations in St. Louis are transmitted from a cluster less than 10 miles southwest of St. Louis. 

I'm familiar with the translator mostly because KFTK (1490 AM) — which originally fed said translator on paper — was one of the Romanik stations.

On 11/6/2020 at 4:52 AM, TheRyan said:

As a regular listener of WBT radio, I wonder how this deal will impact their programming.

I have a feeling it won't be in Radio One's hands for long. Could iHeart end up with it somehow? It would have to be swapped to keep them under the limit, but it's the kind of station that is right up their alley.

• 2 weeks later...

Speaking of KYW, it looks like they have dropped their simulcast of CBS Evening News. According to their current schedule, the spot formerly held by CBSEN has been replaced with "Philadelphia's Afternoon News." KYW changed up their schedule a couple weeks ago, ahead of their FM simulcast launch, so that might have been when they dropped it. Worth noting that only played the first 15 minutes of CBSEN, going back to local at 6:45.

https://www.radio.com/kywnewsradio/shows/show-schedule

UPDATE: they are still playing CBSEN, but it is strangely not listed on the schedule.

On WBT radio, they are now using a modified ident at the top of the hour.   The ident is the same as before, except it omits the "A Radio.com station" portion that was at the end of the ident.

My busy schedule has kept me from listening to the station as much lately, but notably I have yet to hear any mention of the Urban One/Entercom transaction on their air.   If anyone knows of a segment where they addressed it, I would appreciate the info.

• 4 months later...
On 11/6/2020 at 4:52 AM, TheRyan said:

As a regular listener of WBT radio, I wonder how this deal will impact their programming.

This remains a key question, as Urban One does not seem like a typical producer of conservative talk radio. Most of their stations have an urban format with a more diverse listening audience. But changes have already begun down the hall on the FM dial at sister station 107.9-WLNK, which also was acquired in the Urban One deal. Longtime morning show hosts Bob and Sheri are leaving after almost 30 years at their original flagship station, as a format change is expected. Speculation is Urban One may move some of their current programming from 92.7 or 105.3 over to 107.9, which has a much stronger signal. Could this include their Rickey Smiley morning show? Meanwhile Bob and Sheri control the ownership rights to their nationally syndicated program with NOW! Media, so they are seeking another Charlotte home. But the next big question remains will Urban One trade WBT to iHeart which already has a Charlotte cluster? Or someone else? Doesn't seem like a long term fit for Urban One, but remains to be seen.

On 4/19/2021 at 10:14 AM, tylerSC said:

This remains a key question, as Urban One does not seem like a typical producer of conservative talk radio. Most of their stations have an urban format with a more diverse listening audience. But changes have already begun down the hall on the FM dial at sister station 107.9-WLNK, which also was acquired in the Urban One deal. Longtime morning show hosts Bob and Sheri are leaving after almost 30 years at their original flagship station, as a format change is expected. Speculation is Urban One may move some of their current programming from 92.7 or 105.3 over to 107.9, which has a much stronger signal. Could this include their Rickey Smiley morning show? Meanwhile Bob and Sheri control the ownership rights to their nationally syndicated program with NOW! Media, so they are seeking another Charlotte home. But the next big question remains will Urban One trade WBT to iHeart which already has a Charlotte cluster? Or someone else? Doesn't seem like a long term fit for Urban One, but remains to be seen.

You're on the right track... I've heard that its WFNZ (sports) that will eventually make the switch to 107.9

• 4 weeks later...
On 4/19/2021 at 10:14 AM, tylerSC said:

WLNK remains Hot AC, now rebranded as Mix 107.9 rather than The Link. Afternoon hosts Matt and Ramona moved to mornings and former hosts Bob and Sheri have now moved to Beasley owned K-04.7, with more of a variety hits format. Speculated flip on 107.9 has not yet occurred, just a temporary tweak to see if ratings improve. But since 107.9 remains one of Charlotte's strongest radio signals, I could see Urban One making further changes down the road if ratings remain stagnant.

Archived