2020 Election sets

sfomspphl

I’m going with NBC as the winner. Grand use of the giant seamless screen, clever rendering of the Studio 1A exterior, and red / blue spotlights on top to add depth and enhance bright big screens..

Nice focal point with the star in the middle. 

Clear branding with the Decision2020 header on the map screen.

A set that uses good fundamental theatrical design to trick us into thinking its bigger than it really is.

Was this basically the Football Night in America studio repurposed?

28 minutes ago, JohnnyNews said:

WFAA's Election is great set I think that's victory park but it looks a lot more like Young St.

Here’s what WFAA’s election studio looks like. They really did go all out. I’m guessing this is in their extra production studio at young street. The the reporters they toss to are in the newsroom upstairs. 

It’s definitely not Victory and definitely not their main Young street studio, which still looks as it did when the set debuted back in 2006 (really good still IMO). 

Not sure if WFAA still has any claims or connection to the old TXCN building next door, but I know there are some empty large studio spaces in there too that this could fit in.

Either way, I can’t believe they put this much in to an election set! That video wall is nicer than anything WFAA’s current permanent sets at Victory or You g a street have. (I’d be pissed if I was one of those employees furloughed by Tegna and saw this.)

Part of me is wondering if maybe this election set will now be dismantled and moved a couple doors down the hall and repurposed into a new main studio... to update the current (rarely used) 2006 set?

It's at the main WFAA facility in one of their three studios. They do a walk and talk through the building at 19:56

7 hours ago, sfomspphl said:

Football Night in America has been at the NBC Sports Stamford facility for quite some time now.

3 hours ago, MarkBRollins88_v2 said:

That video wall is nicer than anything WFAA’s current permanent sets at Victory or You g a street have. (I’d be pissed if I was one of those employees furloughed by Tegna and saw this.)

99.99% sure the video wall is rented.

8 hours ago, sfomspphl said:

I’m going with NBC as the winner. Grand use of the giant seamless screen, clever rendering of the Studio 1A exterior, and red / blue spotlights on top to add depth and enhance bright big screens..

Nice focal point with the star in the middle. 

Clear branding with the Decision2020 header on the map screen.

A set that uses good fundamental theatrical design to trick us into thinking its bigger than it really is.

LOL! I thought NBC's set was trash. Lester and Sav were great, though. I liked CBS' set, even though I am sure it got the least amount of eyeballs.

4 hours ago, FiveNews said:

LOL! I thought NBC's set was trash. Lester and Sav were great, though. I liked CBS' set, even though I am sure it got the least amount of eyeballs.

Yes, I agree! CBS had the best set from broadcast! NBC and ABC were kinda predictable. ABC 2018 election set was still the best one I’ve seen in a while. Oh how I wished they would’ve had it for the 2020 Presidential Election. 

NBC used to have great Election sets back when we had Tom Brokaw, Tim Russert & Katie Couric days. I loved how they redid the old Dateline NBC studios for Decision 2000 Election Night etc. 

NBC News usually used the Dateline NBC Studios for Election until the following:

2008 & 2012 elections they used the old Football Night in America studio. 

2016 the Newsroom studio of MSNBC (NBC debuted it for Election Night 

I found NBC’s set to be incredibly underwhelming. ABC’s set was nice but pretty much what we had seen in 2018 but I really liked the interactive floor maps and exit polling use. CBS made great use of their set, but it was a little hollow in its look. 

• 2 weeks later...

On 11/8/2020 at 11:28 AM, MorningNews said:

I found NBC’s set to be incredibly underwhelming. ABC’s set was nice but pretty much what we had seen in 2018 but I really liked the interactive floor maps and exit polling use. CBS made great use of their set, but it was a little hollow in its look. 

I agree, NBC is usually the best at this. I suppose they didn't recreate Democracy Plaza because of COVID. They really use the Rockefeller Center space well by projecting the CGI electoral map onto the ice skating ring, and projecting vote totals off the side of 30 Rock.

Archived