Byron Allen acquires diginets This TV & Light TV

patlovestv

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 hours ago, PhillyWatch said:

I'm curious as to the status of LightTV. I have heard the FOX O&O's (including WTXF here in Philly) are currently running color bars with "COMING SOON - THE GRIO", but the LightTV website still has an active "watch now" stream 

Equity/Luken situation? 🤔 MGM is still sending out their programming, but Allen isn't putting it out for stations to air, but unlike Retro TV at its peak, so few people care about the Light TV schedule, that it's not getting any attention.

MGM has probably one of the most tortured existences of any movie studio, and that includes United Artists.   They really lost their soul after Ted Turner bought them in 1986, and KEPT virtually all of the products produced prior to them, only to flip the studio back to Kirk Kerkorian, who further dismantled it for parts.   It's very confusing to have pre-1986 films owned by WarnerMedia, the movie studio itself and it's post-1986 output, and MGM Resorts, another spinoff of the original MGM.

United Artists was it's own dumpster fire culminating in their exodus of executives in 1978 to form Orion, and the new management being taken down by Michael Cimino and his bomb Heaven's Gate.  Orion would later end up under the combined MGM/UA.   UA itself was sold off by then-owner Transamerica after the Heaven's Gate disaster into MGM.

It's definitely not a top-of-mind company, just one that produced a lot of old movies and other things found in history's dumpster bin.

47 minutes ago, CircleSeven said:

Then I don't understand this. The Fox O&Os drop Light. And they signed the deal to carry TheGrio (which will be the successor of Light).

Wouldn't it been wise to keep the channel running until TheGrio launches?......

Sounds like MGM dropped the ball....and Byron Allen is launching it when he officially gets it built out.  Seems like the whole Equity to Luken mess years back, except Byron Allen is launching it when he's ready.

RTN was at least a continuous service, while this is two totally different channels with no continuity between the two.

I just checked the Light TV website, and the live feed is still up and running. I've heard it theorized that Allen only bought the satellite space and not the channel as a whole...which raises about as many questions as it answers.

I guess The Hollywood Reporter wasn't kidding when they said that MGM is a mess right now.

I could see that being the case, where Byron Allen only gets the satellite space and carriage agreements, so it's up to him to start up the new channel's infrastructure.

Meanwhile at MGM, the channel they are running is homeless, so they keep it up but it has no distribution or carriage agreements at this time 🤦‍♂️...

• 1 month later...
11 hours ago, hmaxhanson said:

What I want to know is, what will MGM plan to do with its stakes in Sinclair's Comet and Charge? I'd assume that they will soon sell their shares to Sinclair?

MGM doesn't actually own any of Comet or Charge. It's basically just a content provider. Sinclair owns and operates the actual channels, and has from day one.

1 hour ago, Adam MadMan said:

MGM doesn't actually own any of Comet or Charge. It's basically just a content provider. Sinclair owns and operates the actual channels, and has from day one.

That could still change though. But MGM does own the Epix and Screenpix networks. Who knows if they'll be keeping them for long.

On 12/5/2020 at 12:00 PM, PhillyWatch said:

I'm curious as to the status of LightTV. I have heard the FOX O&O's (including WTXF here in Philly) are currently running color bars with "COMING SOON - THE GRIO", but the LightTV website still has an active "watch now" stream 

WTXF DT-3 Dec52020.png

I misread that as "THE GRINGO".

It looks like TheGiroTV is coming to my area tomorrow, because the schedule that's listed on my cable guide list the schedule.

It looks like there going to license movies from MGM.

• 2 months later...
54 minutes ago, Action Newsroom said:

That was not mentioned in the article. I just thought the move was on the way from how it was written.

They should've posted it on the day of the launch instead of a few days later.......

1 hour ago, Action Newsroom said:

I know... right? I'm just more surprised no one who knew mentioned it here either.

We touched on it and all the other additions to the ABC line-ups in one of the Ion discussions, but it wasn't in a dedicated thread.

Archived