ABC O&Os Standardization

JohnnyNews
Message added by Weeters,

ⓘ Some claims made in this thread are disputed, and lack evidence to back them up. They should not be taken at face value.

15 hours ago, 24994J said:

I mean, the idea of flat and modern seems like a given. What do you think some people think it will be?

The KABC package like y’all are saying Disney changed their minds to compete with the new CBS and NBC graphics since FOX and CBS are going modern ABC is going to compete with the other O&Os 

KGO somewhat seemed to get an update.

ive noticed some flaws with Extra Bold on during the Accuweather Forecast and at the end of their newscast. The LIVE bug sometimes is small like KABC since KGO uses a larger version. 

On 10/25/2020 at 6:09 PM, SFTV said:

KGO somewhat seemed to get an update.

ive noticed some flaws with Extra Bold on during the Accuweather Forecast and at the end of their newscast. The LIVE bug sometimes is small like KABC since KGO uses a larger version. 

Hmmmmmmmm I’ve seen that too. But all the O&Os will be getting a standard new graphics package.

I was talking to my friend at WPVI (he’s the creative director) He said “new graphics are launching soon, the best changes here at channel 6 is new weather technology and newer icons. This will be standardized through the group for 2021.”

4 hours ago, JohnnyNews said:

I was talking to my friend at WPVI (he’s the creative director) He said “new graphics are launching soon, the best changes here at channel 6 is new weather technology and newer icons. This will be standardized through the group for 2021.”

What did I say months ago? Haha.

8 hours ago, JohnnyNews said:

You seem to know, any idea on what station or firm is taking the lead on this project?  If it’s being done at WPVI (their current look is in-house) or elsewhere?

7 hours ago, ABC 7 Denver said:

What did I say months ago? Haha.

Yep.

1 hour ago, HulkieD said:

You seem to know, any idea on what station or firm is taking the lead on this project?  If it’s being done at WPVI (their current look is in-house) or elsewhere?

Whoever did the KABC and ABC California Pkg is doing the new O&O look getting ready to come out. It looks like the look according to my friends at WPVI will begin late Q4 2020 and end early Q2 2021.

25 minutes ago, JohnnyNews said:

Yep.

Whoever did the KABC and ABC California Pkg is doing the new O&O look getting ready to come out. It looks like the look according to my friends at WPVI will begin late Q4 2020 and end early Q2 2021.

The KABC package was done in-house. The new package was not.

47 minutes ago, ABC 7 Denver said:

The KABC package was done in-house. The new package was not.

Hmmm then....................... I've seen the new pkg and it's very clean and it'll rival all the new o&o looks. And so far I think that one is the best I've seen.

Within reason, it seems easy to trust the visual product they'll roll out, but the ultimate question is what amount of musical freedom will the stations have. Five and a half stations use Eyewitness News, and that could be seamlessly bumped up to 7, but then there's Philly.

10 minutes ago, 24994J said:

Within reason, it seems easy to trust the visual product they'll roll out, but the ultimate question is what amount of musical freedom will the stations have. Five and a half stations use Eyewitness News, and that could be seamlessly bumped up to 7, but then there's Philly.

The music isn't changing.

1 hour ago, JohnnyNews said:

Donald Trump GIF by reactionseditor

2 hours ago, Weeters said:

It was an assumption on who made it.

WPVI didn't tell me who is making the new graphics package

But I know we will all like it compared to what the other O&O's are rolling out..................................

And yes so far the schedule on rollout is ight and confirmed by Disney themselves.

2 hours ago, ABC 7 Denver said:

The music isn't changing.

He's right. The stations (as of now) will have all the freedom with music.

But with the graphics, everything will be standardized (rather that station wants it or not)

2 hours ago, 24994J said:

WPVI is keeping MCTYW

But it may be a new modern remastered version "it's up in the air music wise" is what I was told.

23 hours ago, noggi said:

So much exciting insider info, very impressive guys. 

I mean, we're just hearing most of this stuff second hand. We don't exactly have much involvement in the decision making. However, if we did, we're sure that the landscape would look different.

3 minutes ago, ABC 7 Denver said:

I mean, we're just hearing most of this stuff second hand. We don't exactly have much involvement in the decision making. However, if we did, we're sure that the landscape would look different.

Trust me, we know.

I bet this industry would stay stuck in the early 2000's if TVNT had its way. 

23 hours ago, noggi said:

Trust me, we know.

I bet this industry would stay stuck in the early 2000's if TVNT had its way. 

As opposed to Nexstar producing graphics packages fitting of college TV stations or TEGNA and Scripps creating branding producible on PowerPoint? Yeah. So much worse.

On 11/3/2020 at 9:45 PM, JohnnyNews said:

But it may be a new modern remastered version "it's up in the air music wise" is what I was told.

Thus proving WPVI learnt nothing from when they tried to change it back in the 1990s.

• 2 weeks later...

As far as WPVI, 615 did a modern update of MCTYW a while back. It may be time for another.

Graphics wise, the standard package should come from either Hothaus Creative or whoever did that on air look at WLS. Even a custom take on the WPVI graphics isn’t a bad idea.

Music wise, Gari’s Eyewitness News hasn’t been updated since 2014, & it seems like 615 has taken over that task (Advantage, CBS Enforcer, & This Is Home). Stephen Arnold hasn’t done any type of ABC affiliate package since 2003 (currently Pinnacle). Something needs to happen soon.

9 hours ago, The Romeo Show said:

As far as WPVI, 615 did a modern update of MCTYW a while back. It may be time for another.

Graphics wise, the standard package should come from either Hothaus Creative or whoever did that on air look at WLS. Even a custom take on the WPVI graphics isn’t a bad idea.

Music wise, Gari’s Eyewitness News hasn’t been updated since 2014, & it seems like 615 has taken over that task (Advantage, CBS Enforcer, & This Is Home). Stephen Arnold hasn’t done any type of ABC affiliate package since 2003 (currently Pinnacle). Something needs to happen soon.

The graphics won't be either from Hothaus or a custom WPVI package.

Archived